Engineering :: why so selfish?

I'm curious why Enchanting allows you to enchant other's people's items (with a few exceptions). But with Engineering you can only add things like Flexweave underlays, Archano Springweave thingies, Accelerators, and Nitro boosts, only to your own items? And only you can use the bombs/decoys/etc that you make. Why is engineerings such a selfish profession?

I guess a similar comparison could be made with Inscription, and JC's. Most of their items are sellable, but not with Engineering's tinkers?

What's the deal with this? Why?

Re: Engineering :: why so selfish?

If tinkers were not restricted to the engineers themselves, they might as well just restrict the profession to alts.

There needs to be some incentive for a player to roll a profession aside from money. In this expansion, Blizz made a solid attempt to give each profession a gold generating role and a character itemization improving role.

Blacksmithing can add sockets to other people's items and make a solid shield enchant ... both of which are potential sources of income, and they also can make extra gem slots on their own items.

Inscriptionists have the cards and inscriptions to sell for money, and they can also enchant their own shoulders.

Engineers have a few items they can sell (ammo for ranged weapons, ranged weapons) and their itemization comes from the goggles, a trinket, and those tinkers.

Wazdakka

Because the engineering "enchants" are all wierd gizmos being attached to gear and, as such, you need engineering to either understand how they work/use them without killing yourself and to perform maintenence on them.

You don't need to be smart to put some magic boots on but you do need technical skill if your boots have a complex system of rockets, fuel systems and barometers.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Joshlyman
    If tinkers were not restricted to the engineers themselves, they might as well just restrict the profession to alts.

There needs to be some incentive for a player to roll a profession aside from money. In this expansion, Blizz made a solid attempt to give each profession a gold generating role and a character itemization improving role.

Blacksmithing can add sockets to other people's items and make a solid shield enchant ... both of which are potential sources of income, and they also can make extra gem slots on their own items.

Inscriptionists have the cards and inscriptions to sell for money, and they can also enchant their own shoulders.

Engineers have a few items they can sell (ammo for ranged weapons, ranged weapons) and their itemization comes from the goggles, a trinket, and those tinkers.
    Every profession but Eingeering which is still miles behind everything else and is only useful on a personal I'm havng fun stand point but there is veyr little money to be made from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

We're not selfish. We just want to prevent serious injury.

I'd personally would like to put the blame on that one guy wanting to use this rocket launcher. Poor guy pointed it at himself, and things went downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshlyman
    In this expansion, Blizz made a solid attempt to give each profession a gold generating role and a character itemization improving role.
    Off topic: Tailoring is bad at money making for the most part. Most mats sell for more than the final product. Bags used to be a good source of steady income. Now the dust and cloth sell for more than the bags
    "Peace is a lie"

Eh, just because Engineering enchants aren't transferrable to other people just like ring enchants, lightweave embroidery, bracer sockets, etc, doesn't mean we don't offer other items like guns, ammo, repair bots, flares, and mounts (and this is usable by people other than engineers, unlike the flying carpet).
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

but there is veyr little money to be made from it.
    You keep scratching your little head thinking of ways to make money with engineering and I will continue using my magical vacuum on that glob of steam floating 10 feet from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    You keep scratching your little head thinking of ways to make money with engineering and I will continue using my magical vacuum on that glob of steam floating 10 feet from you.
    Not only that, but on my server, the Ultrasafe Ammo Machines and the Saronite Arrow Makers sell for double the mat cost. You can make a profit just from buying the mats off the AH and selling the result. And you can always make motorcycles with other people's mats for tips.