"Kirin'dor" sets for Mages.

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but what exactly is "Kirin'dor"? I of course know of the Faction of Mages called the "Kirin'tor", and as it hasn't been changed in any PTR patches I can't think it'd be a mistype. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: "Kirin'dor" sets for Mages.

Please use thumbnail when you wanna show some pictures.

15+ Year Old Account

Kirin'dor means it's "of the Kirin" basically. I gotta think Kirin means something and Tor means something else, or they shorten their name to "Kirin" when talking about themselves.

I say this because "Sin'dorei" means "Children of the Sun".

The possessive did strike me as the most likely, yeah. Wasn't sure if I was missing some smaller sect of Mages, or some separate "wing" of the Kirin'tor, for example.

Just some made up word without any real meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    So now the Norse are stealing ideas from Blizzard, too!

Im not sure there.

Only previous example we have to go by would be the "kirin'var" expedition / villiage in South East Netherstorm.

In that case, it seems likely that the "kirin'var" are "of vargoth" (since archmage Vargoth was their leader)

Maybe the "kirin'tor" were "of 'someone who's name begins with tor'", and the "kirin'dor" may have something to do with a mage with the name beginning with "dor" from the "kirin'tor" who is operating their outpost associated with uldar, and will be the person mages go to to get their set from?

In this case, Kirin could be "order of" or "mages of" or "brethren of" or something similar

Quote Originally Posted by Muxxon
    Just some made up word without any real meaning.
    Also, hate to point this out, but pretty much EVERY made up word in World of Warcraft actually HAS a direct correspond to English. They are functional languages, more or less, otherwise, it would be impossible to have conversations in them.

You just have to figure out which "language" the word "kirin" belongs to. In this case, im pretty sure it is some derivitive of elvish.

Bumping this topic - seems like they're called Kirin Tor now:

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...8_25_mage2.jpg

Perhaps it was a mistake after all.

'Kirin Tor' means 'White Giraffe'

Yes, this might sound funny and like a joke, but it's in fact true lorewise.

The towers in Dalaran are lorewise compared to giraffe necks, and the 'Kirin Tor's 'headquarters' are located in the big white tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Vk
    'Kirin Tor' means 'White Giraffe'

Yes, this might sound funny and like a joke, but it's in fact true lorewise.

The towers in Dalaran are lorewise compared to giraffe necks, and the 'Kirin Tor's 'headquarters' are located in the big white tower.
    Well Kirin is definatly a giraffe or mythical chimera like creature that punishes the wicked. (google qilin if you are interested). But how did you come to the conclusion that Tor is white?
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.