Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Renew as a disc healer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    You gain mana on live, but people still use PWS. Oh wait, that's because it doesn't touch the mana, it's a free heal. Key words bolded for your attention.
    @ Kelesti: Is it too much to ask for healing priests to understand their spells/glyphs? With 3.1, I suspect a lot of raiding healing priest to spec into both Disco/Holy (as I will be). Oh noes! Two specs to master!

The idea i had about improved renew and the glyph is making it a larger Hot. If your healing a main tank for like patchwerk every little boost to healing gives the tank more survivability or (longer to live). Only issue i have with renew is its a crap spell mana wise, and i'd have the impression it rolls off slower GCD wise compared to druids(but i'm just guessing).

Lately i'm trying not to use it except for MT Hot or during the vortex on malygos fight to help give little boost to peeps health before they come down. Otherwise i'm rock'n flashheals to the bank. You could have the idea of using greater heals to proc larger aeigis shields, but with the stacking in 3.1 thats a mute point now. greater heal has such a long cooldown that tanks die trying to use it. If i see priests using greater heals on recount as their top heals i consider them noob healers, especially when i'm tanking on my warrior and i start panicking and using my cooldowns...if its a priest its usually them using prayer of heals and greater heals.

The value of the SW shield heal glyph is the KT fight instant heal for the frost tombs, which makes the holy tree nice turning renew into a instant heal, gives priests two instant heals can save lifes.

2cents(grammer costs extra)

As disc, your renew heals for about 1500 when you have imp. renew. That's about 500 HPS extra for 1 GCD.

It's not really worth it in my opinion to even glyph for it. If you can, try to solve it with a Fheal or a Shield. Fheal heals for less, costs less and is about as fast as 1 GCD. (cast 10 renews and check the time spent and compare it with 10 Fheals and you'll notice almost no difference!) Still, 7500 healed > 5900 (5200 without Divine Aegis) healed but can't crit and isn't fully controllable, so I would still prefer Fheal unless I have to move all the time.

Now the choice is hard still, Gheal is almost never used even when talented, but it does give 16% more HPS than Fheal, but costs way more.
    Or putting the points in spell damage reduction...

Think I'll stay with imp. renew for the few fights where it is really handy (Loatheb being one of them).

Deleted

To the OP.
    Your own build is very nice, its the one i use for raid healing also.

Renew is not useless. It's handy to toss around on MT or anyone else if you know you will be incapacitated - webbed, silenced, fast movement. You can argue POM or bubble can do the job fine as well but Renew just gives a little more insurance in preventing possible dangerous situations. If you have the mana why not?

Flexibility and situation awareness is key. Nothing is set in stone so use it at your own discretion.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

Skip divine fury imo.

go for the specc without it.

The renew, just for the small boost and i only use renew for trinkets to procc more often.

And for glyphs in 3.1 my choice will be Penance, Flash Heal, Mass Dispell.

Disc priests who skip Divine Fury are the same idiots who complain about our lack of throughput.

I run about 450ish haste and I spec for Divine Fury, with any combination of Bloodlust/Heroism, Power Infusion, and Borrowed Time I am guaranteed to see Greater Heals of 1.2-1.4 seconds. It drops to 1.6-1.8 sec if I'm only getting 1 of those effects.

Stop being bad and speccing for Improved Renew, and stop ignoring Haste, its on all our gear for a reason.

Disc priests taking haste over crit? What's that all about?

Haste is very nice for Disc Priests. Kinda hard to get after stacking spell power and crit/int, but I slap on the Sarth+2d robe, shadow t7.5 gloves etc. for some sexy fast casting

As it is now, after geting 20k mana or so you can totaly ignore any mp5 or spirit on gear. Rapture is just so damn godly, if you don't overheal to much and use ProM on cooldown you will never go below 80% mana on 80% fights. The only time I had mana problems is when we did dedicated few (8 man Naxx) with only 2 disc priest healers (and no buffs, only wariors and dks, ealy epic run btw) and NO poison dispels (Meaxena was FUN! Criting the tank for 2k with Gheals FTW!), but that was only an issue on fights like Saphiron and KT (with the mana burn things).

Btw: ProM is like a mana pot on some fights: it jumps around, leaves Aegis when it crits and showers you with mana...

One of the priests in out guild has 30k raid buffed mana as Disc... I could not believe this when I saw it, totaly insane...

Deleted

I will propably put 3-4 points into spellwarding, I currently am specced for renew and I have the glyph aswell, but in 3.1 I will get penance glyph. I propably will still use renew when I have the mana to spare.

15+ Year Old Account

Haste is nice for discipline. Crit is better.

Unbuffed I have about 310 haste and close to a 23% chance to crit. I actually lowered this a bit and increased my haste because of the changes to the discipline tree talents in 3.1. Since we gain a talented 3% extra crit from Focused Will, it still keeps my crit at what I like it to be (25% unbuffed minimum).

However, Divine Fury is not as viable for a discipline priest because of the amount of talent points it consumes. To get 5/5 DF, you have to sacrifice something that a MT healer should definitely always have, Improved Renew.

Saying "save renew for holy priest", honestly, is just plain stupid. That's like telling a feral druid to save battle rez for restos. Why would a MT healer not keep their HoT up on a tank at all times? Last I checked, that's practically been preached to healers everywhere since classic.

Also, I should add, our renew costs less mana than a holy priest's, making it more efficient. However, their GH costs less mana than ours, making theirs more efficient. Holy priests = Greater Heal and Flash from SoL procs. Discipline = Flash with Greater Heal after PW:S if needed (the additional 25% haste makes it the ultimate GH tool if a tank is looking low).

2/5 Divine Fury is really the most you need to go. With the haste from talents and if geared properly, this should take your Greater Heal down to around the 2.5 - 2.45 seconds. After a shield, it shaves that down to around 1.6 seconds, so it's a real lifesaver. But the mana cost is more innefficient for the healing output for discipline. Flash Heal is better.

Oh, and another reason haste is not as important in crit in 3.1. Sure, they are nerfing rapture (don't forget that, disc priests, may want a little boost to mana regen in 3.1!), but they are letting Divine Aegis procs stack. That's ludicrous amounts of damage prevention with just two disc priests if you're both geared properly.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    Haste is nice for discipline. Crit is better.

Unbuffed I have about 310 haste and close to a 23% chance to crit. I actually lowered this a bit and increased my haste because of the changes to the discipline tree talents in 3.1. Since we gain a talented 3% extra crit from Focused Will, it still keeps my crit at what I like it to be (25% unbuffed minimum).practically been preached to healers everywhere since classic.
    Worthy of note that we also gain an additional 1% haste from the talent revamp (Enlightenment, 5% -> 6%)

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic