Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Renew as a disc healer?

Heya. I'm new to disc healing, and when I tried to make a specc of my own I came up with this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRtfxzc

However, when I read guides, and such, everyone seemed to reccomend this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRt0xtc

I'm using renew a lot more than I'm using greater heal, so I don't see the point in getting Divine Fury. Is renew a bad choice of spell as disc or is my specc viable?

Re: Renew as a disc healer?

Divine Fury is a lot less necessary for disc than it is for holy, assuming you are glyphing your flash heal (which you should be), then you shouldn't ever really have to cast Gheal. And there's no reason to waste talent points on a spell that you don't use.

At the end of the day it all comes down to style, if you prefer to heal single target using slow heals, then go with divine fury for the huge bump to effective haste on the Gheal cast time (full .5s faster), otherwise just go with renew.

In terms of actual healing, in 5 mans you'll probably stick to renew-ing dps and spamming flash heals/PW:S's, in 10 mans there will be less room for renews, and in 25 mans you'll likely be doing nothing but healing the tank.

You can always keep renew rolling on a tank, and you can always find a use for it if you choose to.
    You will likely use flash heal infinitely more often than Gheal if you are discipline.
    Make sure that you understand that not having Divine Fury effectively makes Gheal a complete PoS of a spell for healing (unless you cast it while under the effect of Borrowed time, but still, pretty bad).

that said my disc build is the same as the first one your listed, and in 25m KT tonight I was exactly 100hps under the holy paladin in effective healing (which ofc doesn't include shields).

As an aside, since i'm not sure where you're reading things (this forum seems to sadly lack disc info :/ )
    Stat wise:
    until 2k SP: SP>Int/Crit>MP5>Spirit>Haste
    after 2k SP: Int/Crit>SP>MP5>Spirit>Haste

Once you get to 2k sp, you should make sure that your regen isn't lacking. Once you get to 20% spell crit (25% holy assuming either Disc talent build you linked), you should make sure you have more Int (up to and exceeding 20k mana), All of which translates to: Good sustainability (you can heal forever) and Enough Through-put for Naxx (10/25).

SP will always increase through-put more than int/crit, but int/crit are necessary for Regen.

Two final notes:
    Some of this is likely to change in 3.1.
    and
    Disc priests never win on heal meters unless either: they are the only healer OR the other healers all died/dc'd/afk'd OR they are very overgeared compared to the other healers OR they aren't using PW:S effectively

Generally, Flash Heal is usually a better option for Disc than Renew, since it can crit and provide Divine Aegis, and it benefits from more talents in the Disc tree.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

With the 3.1 patch you'll have 25% mana cost reduction on flash heal due to the glyph and improved flash heal talent, and a new glyph lowering the cooldown of penance by two seconds. There is no good reason to get DF as disc in pve. (in pvp its another story entirely)

For a pre-3.1 build I would suggest:

(58/13/0) http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbhhxtrxoifRtfx0c

I agree that Divine Fury is superfluous for Disco healing... as Penance acts as your Gheal when needed. Flash is far more efficient to use in lieu of the deep Holy talents that provide the big boost to Gheal. The 2 points in Imp DS could be used elsewhere if another overwriting SP buff is present in your raid, but I find Inner Focus and Desperate Prayer a little lackluster for their cooldowns. Plus, I'm trying to train myself to not use the OFSR dance to prepare for 3.1. Personal choice really.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a 3.1 build I would suggest:

(58/13/0) http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...0&version=9733

Here, the 2 points in Absolution could be moved somewhere else if wanted (e.g.-- Inner Focus & Desperate Prayer). However, I'm a mana conservation junkie so I'll take the 10% off the debuff cures.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer your original question:

Yes. 3/3 Imp Renew is worth the 3 talent points for a Disco build. Since you will primarily be a tank healer, having a better HoT will always be useful, as you should always have renew up on the tank(s).

No. 5/5 in Divine Fury doesn't really help your healing efficiency/power, as Gheal should never really be used as a Disco priest.

Great answers

I've read the disc post on elitist jerks, but this thread gave me some more answers. This char is a newly dinged alt with half green gear, so I'm having fun learning the class and gearing up in alt runs at the moment.

I'm really enjoying the disc healing style. Very useful for heroics and main tank healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll
    Great answers

I've read the disc post on elitist jerks, but this thread gave me some more answers. This char is a newly dinged alt with half green gear, so I'm having fun learning the class and gearing up in alt runs at the moment.

I'm really enjoying the disc healing style. Very useful for heroics and main tank healing.
    Disc healing is pretty damn awesome huh? I personally enjoy it the most cause it's the most involving healing class I've played and I love the rotation and I love Penance. 3.1 will be amazing.

Renew? 2 quick things, it never hurts unless you're worried about mana, but it something you shouldn't spec into considering Disc has some of the best burst healing. Renew will help sink the damage pockets, but that's about it.

15+ Year Old Account

Imo casting renew won't make a difference for mana as it is atm, but it might after patch - the problem as I see it is that you usually won't spend alot of time healing other targets than one as discipline meaning any other heal you cast will fill up the health bar, so renew will work as a filler in the few cases it actually heals. Ofc if you got the time to cast it on other people go ahead
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Leave Renew to the Holy Priests imo.

You spend less mana to get roughly the same (give or take 5%) effect with a Flash Heal as a full Renew (improved, whether it's glyphed or not).

The problem is, Flash Heal is applied "Right now" and Renew you have to wait 3 seconds, then 6 seconds, then 9 seconds, then 12... and possibly 15. Chances are, at least one of those ticks (most likely all but you might get lucky with one in the middle) are going to be overheal, and thus Flash turns out better. Flash Heal also reapplies Grace, and can crit causing Divine Aegis, which in turn is better mitigation anyways.

The reason people take Divine Fury over Improved Renew is because Penance doesn't use a Borrowed Time charge.

Shield -> Penance -> Greater Heal has a lot of "oomph" to it in bringing someone up when needed and I prefer having an emergency button than a lackluster pile of fillers.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

No imp. spirit buff? You fail.
    Stormreaver.EU

Quote Originally Posted by Alensia
    No imp. spirit buff? You fail.
    Improved Divine Spirit is a waste of two talent points:

Any shaman almost doubles that spellpower baseline let alone an Elemental Shaman tripling it, or a Destruction Warlock dishing out a 10% scaling.

It's for this reason Improved Divine Spirit is disappearing from our tree altogether when 3.1 goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Improved Divine Spirit is a waste of two talent points:

Any shaman almost doubles that spellpower baseline let alone an Elemental Shaman tripling it, or a Destruction Warlock dishing out a 10% scaling.

It's for this reason Improved Divine Spirit is disappearing from our tree altogether when 3.1 goes live.
    Indeed, some ppl just still don't get it do they......

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jane
    Indeed, some ppl just still don't get it do they......
    *eats some Capt. Crunch while pushing my post-meter*
    Nope.

I play a disc priest and with all the new Glyphs its going to make it hard to pick just 3. Flash heal given. Powerword sheild was a given before 3.1 but after do you want it to last that long caue you get mana now from it ?

What about PoH with the changes you can target grps with it now so in raids its not a bad glyph to have so you can help with raid healing as a disc priest.

2 sec penace will be very nice so now its a 6 sec cool down.

I will be taking FH, PoH and Penance glyphs.

I think Penance and Flash Heal are pretty obvious ones. I'll try out PoH too, but I have a feeling that I will settle for PW:S as the number three.

With the changes to rapture i dont see a benifit of having PWS glyph cause you get mana after it is absorbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenerien

2 sec penace will be very nice so now its a 6 sec cool down.

Actually, penance CD will be around 6.4 seconds since the glyphs is applied before the talent

10sec - 2sec from glyphs -> 8 sec
    8 sec - 20% from talents -> about 6.4 sec if im correct

still a very nice glyph

15+ Year Old Account

Yup, its 6.4 sec cd on ptr with the penance glyph.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenerien
    With the changes to rapture i dont see a benifit of having PWS glyph cause you get mana after it is absorbed.
    You gain mana on live, but people still use PWS. Oh wait, that's because it doesn't touch the mana, it's a free heal. Key words bolded for your attention.

God people are dense, this must be why discipline still has a bad rep. Either that or all of the CoH spamming tards broguht their idiocy to disc after the nerf.
    PWS glyph is an additional heal that in no way effects PWS mechanics. Your PWS still absorbs the same amount after applying the glyph. The game even considers it a separate heal.

I heard you like healing so we put some healing in your healing.