Healing pets in Arena

Hello locks!

I play a Holy Paladin with a Warlock in 2v2 and from what I've noticed, it's nearly impossible to heal his pet in some situations. An example game was against Ret Pally / Disc Priest, and I'm not sure if thats a counter comp but I would assume so with shadow resist and massive cleansing going around, but I'm not the type who would bitch about being countercomped.

But let's get back to what I was talking about. This pally hits his pet at the very beginning, and just barely (was probably to apply the 20% less stam debuff), bringing it down to barely, so I'm thinking no worries for the pet because he's pounding the lock but then all of a sudden, he switches to the pet and I thought I lagged because it was literally 1-2 shot in less than a second.

So what the hell am I supposed to do about this? My lock and I have been playing together for many seasons but it's never been this extreme. Are locks pets getting buffed next patch to avoid this madness? I feel for you guys wow.

Re: Healing pets in Arena

Quote Originally Posted by trophy
    Hello locks!

I play a Holy Paladin with a Warlock in 2v2 and from what I've noticed, it's nearly impossible to heal his pet in some situations. An example game was against Ret Pally / Disc Priest, and I'm not sure if thats a counter comp but I would assume so with shadow resist and massive cleansing going around, but I'm not the type who would bitch about being countercomped.

But let's get back to what I was talking about. This pally hits his pet at the very beginning, and just barely (was probably to apply the 20% less stam debuff), bringing it down to barely, so I'm thinking no worries for the pet because he's pounding the lock but then all of a sudden, he switches to the pet and I thought I lagged because it was literally 1-2 shot in less than a second.

So what the hell am I supposed to do about this? My lock and I have been playing together for many seasons but it's never been this extreme. Are locks pets getting buffed next patch to avoid this madness? I feel for you guys wow.
    Avoid keeping the pet on the.. paladin? Get up unstable affliction before any other dots? I'm not even a lock, but all this seems like the most logical thing.

Welcome to going up against a ret pally. They're able to pvp in their pve gear, so they can 6 shot people.. Including me, and I have almost 900 resil and 21k hp.

In general, there isn't much you can do to prevent the pet from dying, since ret pallys have so much burst.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

First of all, Ret pallies are natural born lock pet killers, the pet is going to die at least once. That being said...

With a holy pally/lock combo, your lock should be specced into improved health funnel, the 30% damage mitigation while funneled will help keep him up long enough for a heal or two.

Although i arena with a rogue this works for me... its important for the lock to keep an eye on the pet, if you notice the pet get focused, have him get behind a pillar and start taking out a new one before the current pet even dies. This way he doesn't blow his quick summon on a new one, and they waste dps time. I realize if the pet is getting 1-2 shot, this is difficult, but a free new pet is nice (it also refreshes the CD on spell lock when a new one is taken out) if he can't take out a slow one, he needs to fel dom a new one and hopefully you guys can protect it.

Another tip, is Portal -> New Pet Summon. Especially on blade's edge, you can portal up to the bridge and immediately start summoning a new pet, before yours dies, it usually takes a new one out, right next to the lock, just as the current one is almost or already dead.

Between fel dom, imp health funnel, and taking out slow pets. You can keep them on pet duty so long they oom killing them while your dots tick them oom. This may not always work, as this is a real tough combo for your composition, but it may help.

I would suggest pulling out the blueberry as soon as you see a ret and see how that goes.