Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: The story with shockadins

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    As someone said in an earlier thread. By all means enjoy the shockadin spec, but don't expect to enjoy it with other people.
    Unless your friend is the last hold-out of the melee hunter movement.

Seriously, if you're still hopeful about shockadins, you're what Dick Cheney would have called a "dead-ender." It might have some niche possibility of not being totally awful, but it's never going to be great or as good at as many things as "normal" specs.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    You won't deal as much damage as a Ret Pally, and won't heal as good as a Holy Pally. It sounds good in theroy, but it isn't.
    I would, in fact, argue that it doesn't even sound good in theory. It's a really bad idea from the people who look at every set of patch notes apparently thinking, "OMG IS SHOCKADIN VIABLE YET? NO? WHAT ABOUT NOW?!!11"
    Parietis :: Retribution Paladin
    Størmglory :: Enhancement Shaman
    Caecius :: Arms Warrior

15+ Year Old Account

lol at shockadin. Who ever came up with this nonsense?

15+ Year Old Account

my whole reason for asking was i never really explored it. when i first started lvling my pally it was with all intentions of staying and being ret/pvp, that was what i fell in love with. And btw i started my pally pre wotlk and overhaul/revamp ofthe ret tree....bc era. Which now i'm holy pve...trying it out for awhile and plus i'm loving the raid content, and i need to get away from being called a fotm spec when i wasn't part of that generation. When i first started it i only heard of it and never explored it. It was not like "oh it wasn't viable then....since 3.1 is coming out HOW BOUT NOW?!?" type gig for me. All arguments are definitly more valid than what i've suggested.

And the reason i even considered it was because of the amount of homogenization blizzard has done with gear and stats. Only thing i'd hafta re-gem/enchant would be for spell hit or whatever. But it seems even at that its still not worth it.
    "If you see greedo or solo let them know the war is over..i used jabba for bait to catch the Kracken. Sorry greedo."

"The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed."- Ghostcrawler on warriors

15+ Year Old Account

To the OP.

The 37/0/34 shockadin spec is actually a PVP utility healing spec. It forgoes some of the deeper holy talents for more utility talents in Ret like repentance. Since Holy has done so well in arenas the spec is being nerfed by moving Infusion lower in the Holy tree. Apparently Holy paladin aren't allowed to do well in 2v2 unless it is with an approved gimped spec.

As for What a shockadin typically is? It is a spec for Holy paladin to do more damage while still having all of the healing talents in Holy even up to Beacon. The current 51/00/18 +2 build can be modified to do some more damage without giving up any Healing potency. Typically the only difference between A healadin and Shockadin is a few talents like Seals of the Pure and Purifying Power. When 3.1 is released and the changes to exorcism is made you can ditch Seals of the Pure and keep Purifying Power. Exorcism will be a better source of damage than Judgments.

Exorcism still has AP and SP modifiers so you will need to run ImP BoM while attacking and it makes a fine group Buff while healing since all paladin will have kings.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    Shockadin isn't a good PVE spec.

You won't deal as much damage as a Ret Pally, and won't heal as good as a Holy Pally. It sounds good in theroy, but it isn't.
    And with dual spec on the way, it's even worse as a pve spec. Dual holy/ret. Pick which one is best for the raid or even the specific fight. Win.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    And with dual spec on the way, it's even worse as a pve spec. Dual holy/ret. Pick which one is best for the raid or even the specific fight. Win.

So all those ret paladin are going to bring along their Healing sets so they can stand in back and heal right?

Quote Originally Posted by shockpally
    So all those ret paladin are going to bring along their Healing sets so they can stand in back and heal right?

I will be, if we need an extra healer on a fight.

I already bring along all three sets anyway. No big change, except that I can swap to Holy and back without two ports, two resummons, and 100g down the drain.

15+ Year Old Account

I will be, if we need an extra healer on a fight.

I already bring along all three sets anyway. No big change, except that I can swap to Holy and back without two ports, two resummons, and 100g down the drain.
    Holy paladin wont have that luxury because they are brought along to heal. They are in dedicated positions.

Unless there is a boss that doesnt require Healing the tank, or anyone else they will be doing the job you dont want to do full time every raid.

Holy paladin wont have that luxury because they are brought along to heal. They are in dedicated positions.

Unless there is a boss that doesnt require Healing the tank, or anyone else they will be doing the job you dont want to do full time every raid.
    If you'd prefer to raid as ret but can't because your job is to raid as holy, find another guild or convince yours to let you change.

I personally enjoy raiding as all three specs. It just happens that I was invited to my guild as a ret paladin so that's my job unless the fight calls for something else.

Edit: and what this has to do with Shockadins generally, or my comment that incoming dual specs will further marginalize Shockadins specifically, I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by raziel083
    this is horrible.. you should stop

This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

15+ Year Old Account

If you'd prefer to raid as ret but can't because your job is to raid as holy, find another guild or convince yours to let you change.

I personally enjoy raiding as all three specs. It just happens that I was invited to my guild as a ret paladin so that's my job unless the fight calls for something else.

Edit: and what this has to do with Shockadins generally, or my comment that incoming dual specs will further marginalize Shockadins specifically, I have no clue.
    No.. I prefer to raid and do everything else as Holy because Ret is trash and i dont prefer tanking although i have used all 3 specs.
    I just spec 52/00/19 shockadin for the extra damage when soloing and have all of the healing talents for a guaranteed dedicated raid spot. I dont even have to change gear.

Dual spec wont change the way i play at all. I don't need it. I wont be buying it. You dont need dual specs to heal either. 60% HoTs on crits are fantastic in healing gear.

Shockadin works. It's just called PVE holy now. Exorcism will make it even better. Holy paladin still do respectable PVE damage and Heal fine. Nobody 5 man or raid DPS's as shockadin it is too mana intensive. They are healers.

I just spec 52/00/19 shockadin for the extra damage when soloing and have all of the healing talents for a guaranteed dedicated raid spot. I dont even have to change gear.
    51/0/18 (+2) is not shockadin.

Shockadin works. It's just called PVE holy now. Exorcism will make it even better. Holy paladin still do respectable PVE damage and Heal fine. Nobody 5 man or raid DPS's as shockadin it is too mana intensive. They are healers.
    Then call it what it is.

If they're good players? Yes.

If not, doubtful.

I just want to add, my guild runs light on healers. Even in progression. We plan to only take four dedicated healers to our first live Ulduar attempt. Guess what, Holy pally? If you were with us, you might be asked to ret for the fights that don't require more healers.

15+ Year Old Account

I just want to add, my guild runs light on healers. Even in progression. We plan to only take four dedicated healers to our first live Ulduar attempt. Guess what, Holy pally? If you were with us, you might be asked to ret for the fights that don't require more healers.

And If i dont have a good enough Ret set guess what i wont be switching. The other healers like priests, shaman and Druids can respec to Shadow, Ele or boomkin and not even have to switch gear just to dps trash. Paladin are still the best MT healers. Why go with an inferior MT healer when you dont have to?

Someone still has to heal even on trash mobs. Let the individual guilds/players figure out who will switch specs. If your guild is going to demand that healers be dual spec then they can pay for it for each player.

15+ Year Old Account

51/0/18 (+2) is not shockadin.
    And neither is 37/00/34. It is an Arena Utility Healing build.

The only thing that separates shockadin from Raiding Holy is a few talents in the Holy tree. In fact PVE holy is Shockadin. The fact that the ret talents affect healing spells and damage was the greatest thing they could have ever done to bring Shockadin into a mainstream build from TBC.

FYI the TBC shockadin build was 40/00/21. With Sanctity aura being rolled into the talents it affected and the crit talents affecting healing you have the common Holy/Ret build you have today. There wasnt much past sanctity that affected damage for a Shockadin in TBC and Nobody needed DI to heal.

Have a nice day.