Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Logitech G15 and Macros

Hi,

I recently invested in the Logitech G15 keyboard and have it working in part with Vent and WoW which is great. So I can see my WoW stats etc in the LCD yet when it comes to configuring the 6 G-buttons on the left I'm not having much luck. I havent managed to get any of my spells or macros to run from these buttons.

How the heck do you people set this thing up to use your spells/macros? Any advice or examples you could give me would be brilliant.

Sorry this is a bit lacking in detailed information. I'll post more if it's needed.

Re: Logitech G15 and Macros

First, make sure you are on the right Profile.
    The Standard Profile, active when not in-game, is not the same as when you are in-game so changes you make when not in-game won't work in-game.
    (hope you understood all.. lol)

Quote Originally Posted by ssgrif
    Hi,

I recently invested in the Logitech G15 keyboard and have it working in part with Vent and WoW which is great. So I can see my WoW stats etc in the LCD yet when it comes to configuring the 6 G-buttons on the left I'm not having much luck. I havent managed to get any of my spells or macros to run from these buttons.

How the heck do you people set this thing up to use your spells/macros? Any advice or examples you could give me would be brilliant.

Sorry this is a bit lacking in detailed information. I'll post more if it's needed.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pazilon

If you are running Vista, launch the keyboard profiler as administrator, you might notice a change

L

thx for the advice, yeah I'm using Vista so I'll make sure the profiler is running with appropriate admin rights.

Googling the web I see that you can bind "obscure" key bindings or ones perhaps you'll never use (Alt-F1-6) to your G-buttons so I see a benefit there. Is there a way run simple macros without the need for a button on your bars bound to an obscure key, linked to the G-button for it to work?

Say I want to run the command /show recount when I press G1. at the mo it seems I have to add the macro to my bar, bind a key to this macro (say Alt-Z), then use the profiler to set Alt-Z to my G1 key.

Seems a lot of hassle and doesnt save me on screen real estate

Am I missing something here?

Deleted

I have my G15 keys (old version, 54 macro keys) bound to a obscure key bindings that I wouldn't normally press, and I use Bartender in game to have a few hidden (but visible on mouse over) action bars for my macros/abilities that are bound to these keys. This saves you screen space and also lets you easily modify what you want to happen from in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgrif
    Say I want to run the command /show recount when I press G1. at the mo it seems I have to add the macro to my bar, bind a key to this macro (say Alt-Z), then use the profiler to set Alt-Z to my G1 key.
    Record a macro on the fly.

1. Press [MR]-button
    2. Press the [G1]-button
    (Now the MR-button starts to blink, indicating that recording is on..)
    3. Just type "[enter] /recount show [enter]"
    4. Press [MR]-button again to end the recording.. and you are done.

Pressing the G1-button will now output "/recount show".

Deleted

Pazilon, that's inadvisable for two reasons; it's both against the TOS (It counts as automation) and won't always work. WoW will not instantly pick up the "/recount show" keypresses, sometimes it will ignore the first few characters and it will pick up something like "ount show", trigging anything bound to the "o", "u", etc buttons.

In addition, the macro ability of the keyboard is rather slow (But not slow enough to get WoW to recognise the first few characters), for about half a second after pressing the button if the user were to press any other keys it would type those at the same time as it's finishing typing the recorded macro, possibly ending up typing something like "/r14ecou4nt sh1ow9" if he/she was in a fight at the time of pressing the button.

With the G11 Keyboard I got a WoW-Profile, with a few macros linked to the G-Buttons

Look @ standard profiles

At least on the webpage of logitech it says

Supported Games:
    World of Warcraft
    by Blizzard Entertainment

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ga.../3498&cl=us,en

Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    Pazilon, that's inadvisable for two reasons; it's both against the TOS (It counts as automation) and won't always work. WoW will not instantly pick up the "/recount show" keypresses, sometimes it will ignore the first few characters and it will pick up something like "ount show", trigging anything bound to the "o", "u", etc buttons.

In addition, the macro ability of the keyboard is rather slow (But not slow enough to get WoW to recognise the first few characters), for about half a second after pressing the button if the user were to press any other keys it would type those at the same time as it's finishing typing the recorded macro, possibly ending up typing something like "/r14ecou4nt sh1ow9" if he/she was in a fight at the time of pressing the button.
    Well, tbh.. imho, using the G15 for these purposes is hardly against TOS.
    Writing timed keystroke sequences to cast multiple spells/attacks by a press of a button - thats a violation to TOS.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Pazilon
    Well, tbh.. imho, using the G15 for these purposes is hardly against TOS.
    Writing timed keystroke sequences to cast multiple spells/attacks by a press of a button - thats a violation to TOS.

As silly as it sounds, it's still against the TOS. Blizzards definition of automation is "anything that presses more than one unique key that the user has not directly pressed him/herself"; they have banned for using G15 macros before, there was quite an uproar about it on the forums. Check www.infernix.net/wowban out.

Be careful with the G15. I have a IRL friend who used one for Macro's and whatnot. He was Banned for using 3rd party software.

I'm not saying this will happen to you, I'm saying it happen to him. So just be careful please.

Have a good day
    (80) - (80)
    Proud Member of the MMO-Champion Community
    - Embrace Your Inner Geek - Gameplay First - Every Voice Matters - Learn & Grow -
    - Lead Responsibly - Commit To Quality - Play Nice, Play Fair - Think Globally -

I have nothing to fear as I dont use the G15, it just sounds so bananas.

Blizzards definition of automation is "anything that presses more than one unique key that the user has not directly pressed him/herself"
    Can you pls provide some evidence to that claim?

Deleted

I have nothing to fear as I dont use the G15, it just sounds so bananas.

Can you pls provide some evidence to that claim?
    It's not a claim, just an observation from what blizzard have done in the past;
    - They've banned for things I've mentioned before in this thread where a single key press from the user actually gets translated to multiple key presses
    - They haven't banned anybody (that I know of at least) for having a key translate to a different *single* key, such as a user pressing "X" but it turns into "Y"
    - - But they have explained that this is against their rules if the key it gets translated to changes; for example, pressing "X" translated to either "Y" or "Z" depending on the last time you pressed "X" = bad
    - They've banned many times for applications pressing single or multiple keys without any user interaction. Bots anyone?
    Based on those and blue posts that I can't find (there's so many blue posts ) it's pretty easy to understand their definition of automation

Record a macro on the fly.

1. Press [MR]-button
    2. Press the [G1]-button
    (Now the MR-button starts to blink, indicating that recording is on..)
    3. Just type "[enter] /recount show [enter]"
    4. Press [MR]-button again to end the recording.. and you are done.

Pressing the G1-button will now output "/recount show".
    Well I never knew that could be done with the G15 and although it sounds cool, from a response perspective I'll start with trying out the keybindings 1st.

I had a go last night using the "/recount show" example, binding this as a macro to an obscure keystroke and my bar, using my button bar addon (dominos) to hide it (save on screen space). It worked fine!

Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated!

Nice thread, but I was wondering something completely different. Since Hodir's fight in Ulduar is gonna be similar to Keriastaza in Nexus, how can one make a macro to jump/move a bit every 2 seconds without recording a macro with pressing space/w every 2 sec for 5 min? Is there any format with which a text file could be made and "fed" to G15 to take the keypresses with timestamps out of it?

Deleted

The G15 can be told to wait between keypresses, but again that definitely classes as "automation" and is thus against the TOS. Also, there's no way to make it stop a macro once it's started; if you were to start the "jump wait jump wait * 50" macro, you'd best be sure you're not going to be doing anything with a cast time for the next 5 minutes.

15+ Year Old Account

i recommend reading that out :/
    dont use the keyboard macro...

Oh well, I guess you could make it last 1min and just press it 5 times. But as much as this could be called automation, I'd take this any day over straining my wrist that I hurt in a bike accident recently with constant spacebar mashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearlezz
    Oh well, I guess you could make it last 1min and just press it 5 times. But as much as this could be called automation, I'd take this any day over straining my wrist that I hurt in a bike accident recently with constant spacebar mashing.
    I find the same, especially with Wintergrasp Vehicles. Repeatedly hitting the 1 key repeatedly started to hurt my wrist badly (injured in a Motorcycle accident)

I checked with the GM's regarding RSI, who said that it was okay to make a macro that hits the keys repeatedly whilst depressed (keep G1 pressed whilst moving for example for autofiring).
    As long as it did 1 function only he said there was no program. If you program a macro to do X, wait 1 second, Y, wait 1 second, Z etc you'd get banned as thats a violation of the ToS.

I dont wintergrasp anymore though as I'm honour capped and its boring. I have my mount bound to G6, AoE attack to G3, and professions to G13-G18. All are bound with obscure keybindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelticfox
    As long as it did 1 function only he said there was no program. If you program a macro to do X, wait 1 second, Y, wait 1 second, Z etc you'd get banned as thats a violation of the ToS.
    Ye, jumping is just jumping, nothing else.