Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[prot] do you plan a spec with Divine sacrifice?

I dont,because i dont see it any usefull as a tank.
    Even if you do, i dont think that raid will feel any benefit of it with large aoe damage bursts, you will simply die.
    As for healers, i dont think that any of them will be fast enough to switch all his heals on you and get you up fast enough, and it will be 100% suicide if you use this ability while tanking. Why dont they just give us an ability to reduce incoming
    raid damage by 30% with no penalty, like something oposite to shamans heroism(offensive shaman hybrid, defensive paladin hybrid), witch has no penalty, imagine if it would increase raid damage damage done, but also 30% of this damage would be redirected to the shaman, this is how this ability looks to me
    Or maybe i am wrong, is here anyone who gave this ability some good testing on PTR? is it deadly or usefull?

Re: [prot] do you plan a spec with Divine sacrifice?

I think you are pretty much supposed to bubble yourself before you do.
    I will be taking it, as there are no better places to invest points to get lower in the tree

Quote Originally Posted by Taurendil
    I will be taking it, as there are no better places to invest points to get lower in the tree
    in current raid situation, there is no way you can bubble, since every tank has some job to do
    Imagine if you bubble on sartharion 3D with all those adds on you, you will dump your agro and wipe the raid, so it only leaves it to the fights where you are slacking as a tank, but hey, dual spec is coming up, and you will most likely have someone with inscription, and use this system to switch to healer or dps, depends on what is needed.
    So basicaly, you cant use it if you are tanking, and you will not use it if you are not, since you will have a different spec

I don't see many situations where it would benefit to have the talent. I definately won't take it.

15+ Year Old Account

He said [prot].
    As a protection tank, you have plenty of talents in the lower tiers to spend points in, without taking such an ability. Let's make a quick example of a build (without any claims, beware):

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9742

From a tank PoV, I don't see Divine Sacrifice coming of any real utility. Especially if you have to bubble first, which as a Mt would no be a wise choice :P

Edit: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

it would be funny if it hurts you thru the bubble
    *i dont think you can DI while bubble and stop yourself from dying

no im not always gonna put in a lot of thought when i post
    and not all my posts are serious/true

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Shield!!!
    in current raid situation, there is no way you can bubble, since every tank has some job to do
    Imagine if you bubble on sartharion 3D with all those adds on you, you will dump your agro and wipe the raid, so it only leaves it to the fights where you are slacking as a tank, but hey, dual spec is coming up, and you will most likely have someone with inscription, and use this system to switch to healer or dps, depends on what is needed.
    So basicaly, you cant use it if you are tanking, and you will not use it if you are not, since you will have a different spec
    Slacking, eh? Maly Vortex; Sapph P2; Kel P2 as an OT; Thadd; Anub between sets of adds; 4HM after 1-2 are dead (1 for baron's tank; 2 for thane's); Raz; Gothik P2; Sarth3D whelp tank after you're done with whelps, before you grab the fire adds. That's all the places in raids that I can think of that you can use it in current content; It always has been and always will be a very situational talent in PvE though. I'll probably grab it, as imp. devo is only useful to me for the extra ac, and so more raid utility is always nice and the best filler to get deeper.

Arel - w/o imp. devo, DS is the best PvE filler after 5/5 divinity; Something along the lines of http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9742 (second in imp. judgement beats benediction for those times when you have a large threat lead, to get more mitigation by breaking your rotation imo).

i'm personally grabbing it since the situational use of it could help progression in Ulduar and to me it's better than a general 1% to healing from Divinity.

Useless talent for tanking imo. Blizzard screwed us over by promising a good 11 pointer and gave us shit.

I'll grab it only because of the reason stated above, that it is better than one point in divinity. Maybe it will have a situational usefulness, let hope at least, because seems like a totally dumb and useless talent.

One technique that may make it worthwhile is to Pop Divine Protection, so the damage you take from it will be reduced by 50% reducing the insta death you will receive otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiball
    I'll grab it only because of the reason stated above, that it is better than one point in divinity. Maybe it will have a situational usefulness, let hope at least, because seems like a totally dumb and useless talent.

One technique that may make it worthwhile is to Pop Divine Protection, so the damage you take from it will be reduced by 50% reducing the insta death you will receive otherwise.

75% health gone in a instant by aoe
    Ouch

no im not always gonna put in a lot of thought when i post
    and not all my posts are serious/true

Thing is, you lot only seem to be focusing on talking about main boss tanking. There will be other tanking situations that you'll be required to do, like spawn tanking.

I'm taking it for my Off-tanking spec (tanking trash and spawn adds on bosses), mainly because of the Sacred shield benefit of Divine Guardian, which requires Divine Sacrifice to obtain. Since Holy paladins can't stick multiple SSs on people any more, and they're likely to be healing the main boss tank, I'll use my own Sacred shield for the damage mitigation.

Main tank spec though, I won't be taking it.

Sacred Shield absorbs a very large amount of damage, i keep it up as often as i can, probably 90% of the time, Divine Guardian doubles its duration and buffs how much it absorbs, that talent in and of itself is worth 3 points, it just so happens its a 2pt talent with Divine Sacrifice in the way....

Right now on live, my Sacred Shield absorbs 1497 damage every 6 seconds while tanking, thats ~1500*5, so about 7500 damage absorbed over 30 seconds for 12% base mana, or with Divine Guardian its 18000 over 1 min for 12% base mana, thats 3k less damage a minute and at half the mana cost. Yes, DS is situational and as an MT you'll rarely ever use it, but DG is worth all 3 talent points so its worth it to get anyway.

Sacred Shield absorbs over 3300 on my proly paladin... so of course I took that

3300 every 4 seconds with T8 is awesome.

Deleted

IMHO Divine Sacrifice is absolute garbare for maintanks, and it's still garbage for off-tanks as long as they have something to tank. If they aren't tanking anything then sure, it'll help.

But, the point is, Divine Guardian does seem like a worthy talent. 20% more absorption is really good, and you are a piss-poor tank if you aren't using Sacred Shield even without the talent. That said, Divine Guardian is a talent that boosts your mitigation a little, should help anyone who's maintanking. I do think it's worth the 3 talent points, there isn't really anything better mitigation-wise left to take.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by arel00
    He said [prot].
    As a protection tank, you have plenty of talents in the lower tiers to spend points in, without taking such an ability. Let's make a quick example of a build (without any claims, beware):

From a tank PoV, I don't see Divine Sacrifice coming of any real utility. Especially if you have to bubble first, which as a Mt would no be a wise choice :P

Edit: typos
    Thats because its not supposed to, this is an 11pt tallent to entire Holy PvP and Ret PvP.

It can be used, but would only be really good in 5mans.

- Also to the idiot way above, you used bubble wall (Divine Protection) when u use this.

If Blizz wanted us to use this while bubbled, why not just make the talent something like " when you bubble, you also absorb 30% of dmg caused to party/raid " ?

2 clicks + GCDs is really annoying to utilize your 11pt talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco cracona
    Slacking, eh? Maly Vortex; Sapph P2; Kel P2 as an OT; Thadd; Anub between sets of adds; 4HM after 1-2 are dead (1 for baron's tank; 2 for thane's); Raz; Gothik P2; Sarth3D whelp tank after you're done with whelps, before you grab the fire adds. That's all the places in raids that I can think of that you can use it in current content; It always has been and always will be a very situational talent in PvE though. I'll probably grab it, as imp. devo is only useful to me for the extra ac, and so more raid utility is always nice and the best filler to get deeper.

Arel - w/o imp. devo, DS is the best PvE filler after 5/5 divinity; Something along the lines of http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9742 (second in imp. judgement beats benediction for those times when you have a large threat lead, to get more mitigation by breaking your rotation imo).
    Why would you not take imp. devotion though? 3 points in that talent is better than 5 points in Divinity. 6% more healing on any target affected by the aura including yourself compared to the 5% you get from Divinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelia
    Why would you not take imp. devotion though? 3 points in that talent is better than 5 points in Divinity. 6% more healing on any target affected by the aura including yourself compared to the 5% you get from Divinity.
    Imp Devotion Aura doesnt stack with a druid's Tree of Life, so in most situations its not even applied, least in my raids it doesnt matter, we have 2-3 resto druids on any given night, but the 5% from divinity stacks with everything. Divinity is still sort of lack luster, but it does apply on top of all your other buffs.

I don't because it doesn't fit into any of my specs.

My two preferred specs are...

This is mostly a trash spec designed to maximize threat while clearing trash.

This is mostly a main tank spec designed to give a little bit more survivability and will be coupled with the lay on hands glyph to put lay on hands on an 11 minute cool down.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.