Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Ratings aren't needed for BG's

Quote Originally Posted by sillverhair
    also theres the fact that bgs require tactics while arena is just a zergfest pure and simple... pick the worst geared/hp and zerg it...
    "Zerg the Farm!"
    "All go to Horde GY"
    "All go to Ally Spawn"

Zergfest are counter'd by healers, and attacking a healer is countere'd by Team Planned Tactics =p.

then dont forget the fact that anyone can face anyone in bgs thus making the chance high there will be some very well geared players on the opposing team thus you need the gear aswell.
    You can fight anyone in Arean's too, infact while Bg's remain totally random on Gear, Arena's pitch higher geare'd/rated people against eachohter for more of a challange.

bgs definetly need rating, or atleast a way to get the gear arena players are getting aswell, because theres loads off players who prefer bg>arena coz its just more fun, a lot more possible targets to kill + the fact that no one wants a fair fight?! i rather attack someone with low hp, whose sitting and eating than face someone head on... as does everyone else. theres also the bg buffs which can totally turn a fight around.
    Because easy wins/kills mean you are better and more deserving.. right. Yes, having the advantage over another team means you should totally get the same gear as a fair fight.

the randomness in bgs makes it a lot more interesting than arena for most players (im not saying arena is boring, just my opinion)

and as stated above arena and bgs are a totally different world, arena players arent "better or worse" than bg players, in either world tho people should be able to get the better gear, preferably through a rating system, as otherwise everyone can get the best gear. remember the old ranking system (where the gear was somewhat boring) but atleast you had to put work into getting somewhere.
    So if 5 man instances are a Different world than Raids, how come they don't get better/on par gear than 25 man Ulduar hard modes?
    now people will say you could grind that, but then you did need a good premade which essentially is the same as having a good/active arena team.
    No because one premade V no Premade is easy. Arena teams are as if both were premade, becasue they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Quote Originally Posted by leandar
    Difference is if your not the right class youll have a much harder time doing arena and might not be able to get higher up because 2/3/5 people are something that is doing well. With raiding your class might do less dps than others but the raid can still kill the boss.
    Class this Class that, it isn't class alone that does it all.

Get me a DK and I'll beat his "OP" powers as a Tank in all PVE gear.

You are right, you might suck balls in raid and get the job done, but that can happen in a BG too. That can't happen in an Arena.
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    ...No

"Coordinating" is more than saying "half defend and half attack" or something. On top of that they typically don't listen. BG's typically come down to zerging some place as fast as possible. Take AV for example, it is badass in nature, but now if a game last longer than 5 mins the team is turtling and they should stop defending the stuff and attack.

Arena's can last much longer than BG's, specially higher ranked ones. And they require much more cordination to keep everyone alive, as noone comes back after they die by some spirit healer.

In BG's you can do whatever because there is no real downside to your actions from death, you die and your team can still win, you even come back after a few secs. You die in an Arena and there's a low chance your team will win (If you are first to die).

In a BG you can play a few matches and do whatever and stuff will acumalate over time easily. People in Arena's have to play atleast ten a week and many do hundreds of Arenas.
    If you play BGs like that, you're doing it wrong.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Because everyone in a BG is always ready to follow one person's orders and do exactly what he says, right? Specially in those 40 Man ones where people Totally don't do whatever they want to because they feel like it.

Alrighty, answer me this.

BGs while easier to get into and easier to win (I will stick by this considering you work with complete strangers (unless you are plowing) rather than working wtih a set team) seem to (atleast according to you) deserve the same gear as Arena players. If this is the case: Then shouldn't instance gear (which is easier than raiding as it's easier to pug and do well) be as good as 25 Man Raid gear? It's not fair to those who have more fun in instances and want good gear but don't want to raid to have to be stuck with less quality gear is it?
    Also I'm still waiting on an answer for this. If you can't provide me with a solid yes and get it passed with good logic and make Bliz do it, then you agree that 5 man's don't require as much cordinations as raids, and BG's don't require as much cordination as Arenas.

Alrighty, answer me this.

BGs while easier to get into and easier to win (I will stick by this considering you work with complete strangers (unless you are plowing) rather than working wtih a set team) seem to (atleast according to you) deserve the same gear as Arena players. If this is the case: Then shouldn't instance gear (which is easier than raiding as it's easier to pug and do well) be as good as 25 Man Raid gear? It's not fair to those who have more fun in instances and want good gear but don't want to raid to have to be stuck with less quality gear is it?

"Coordinating" is more than saying "half defend and half attack" or something. On top of that they typically don't listen. BG's typically come down to zerging some place as fast as possible. Take AV for example, it is badass in nature, but now if a game last longer than 5 mins the team is turtling and they should stop defending the stuff and attack.
    no, first of all pve and pvp are incomparable, 2nd as for gear, should rating be implemented in bgs, then even if you pug you "should" end up with people on your and the opposing team with the same rating, thus if you farm a lot off kills you will end up with/against those players aswell, whilst if you actually play to win your whole team will, thus there is actually a pug with the goal to win, not to just farm kills. then yes gear should be equal. besides why should arena players get gear while bg players dont its not like arena players are superior, maybe if they walk around together but well... most wellgeared players dont stand a chance when cornered with the 30% dmg bonus and flag on their backs...

Arena's can last much longer than BG's, specially higher ranked ones. And they require much more cordination to keep everyone alive, as noone comes back after they die by some spirit healer.
    you trying to tell me that a good arena match lasts 45 mins?? coz thats what it usually takes when you face a good team in wsg assuming yours isnt crap either...
    and naturally ab/eots/av takes longer, due to number off players and objectives.

In BG's you can do whatever because there is no real downside to your actions from death, you die and your team can still win, you even come back after a few secs. You die in an Arena and there's a low chance your team will win (If you are first to die).

In a BG you can play a few matches and do whatever and stuff will acumalate over time easily. People in Arena's have to play atleast ten a week and many do hundreds of Arenas.
    should there be ratings, however, then you will most likely be downgraded for dying at certain spots that are useless to the rest off your team, as to the number off arenas vs bgs, well thats just lol if in the current system you want something you have to play a lot longer than 10 arena matches which is doable in 1-2 hours depending on queues, id love to see who can make 50k honor in 1-2 hours by doing just regular bgs...

we just want the ratings so that skill required in bgs also improves and to get the gear offcourse, should ratings be implemented the conclusion would be that you actually get some opposition aswell if your good

no, first of all pve and pvp are incomparable, 2nd as for gear, should rating be implemented in bgs, then even if you pug you "should" end up with people on your and the opposing team with the same rating, thus if you farm a lot off kills you will end up with/against those players aswell, whilst if you actually play to win your whole team will, thus there is actually a pug with the goal to win, not to just farm kills. then yes gear should be equal. besides why should arena players get gear while bg players dont its not like arena players are superior, maybe if they walk around together but well... most wellgeared players dont stand a chance when cornered with the 30% dmg bonus and flag on their backs...
    This only really helps my point.
    If someone gets a reward for holding the flag for a long time or living through that, not only would it be harder for some classes than another (WAY harder), it would also make people not cap the flag a lot. "Cap the flag so we can win!!" "No, I'm working on my rating."

Capping the flag to increase rating would also mean people not defending the flag guy anymore so they could all just grab it and try to cap it for themselves.

Arena players are Superior because they fight on EVEN grounds, they don't get points for killing someone taking +50% damage or something, they fight with everyone at their best just going at it. THey need tactics and they all have to be ready to listen and watch for issues, in a BG you don't have to watch for anyone but yourself.

you trying to tell me that a good arena match lasts 45 mins?? coz thats what it usually takes when you face a good team in wsg assuming yours isnt crap either...
    and naturally ab/eots/av takes longer, due to number off players and objectives.
    I'm saying a smaller just all out fihgt between players takes the same time (or longer) than a bigger fight with potentially unbalanced goals and such.

should there be ratings, however, then you will most likely be downgraded for dying at certain spots that are useless to the rest off your team, as to the number off arenas vs bgs, well thats just lol if in the current system you want something you have to play a lot longer than 10 arena matches which is doable in 1-2 hours depending on queues, id love to see who can make 50k honor in 1-2 hours by doing just regular bgs...
    "Useless" spots are affected by oppinions, and there could be situations which need them there.

Wintergrasp makes honor uber easy to get... and if an arena match last 30 mins or something, that's 300 mins for 10, 5 hours in constant battle, this excludes que times and such, and many do more.

[qupte]we just want the ratings so that skill required in bgs also improves and to get the gear offcourse, should ratings be implemented the conclusion would be that you actually get some opposition aswell if your good
    [/quote]

You want better gear for easier things. You still have yet to answer me on how come people who do 5 man instances don't get the same gear as 25 man raids.

Don't even say BG's are harder, they are easier. There are too many things that make people easy to kill like the flag carrier debuff.

And again, you have to factor in situations (which will occur every BG since everyone wants to improve their rating) where people ignore the real objective for their own stuff, like "I need rating, not capping the flag" or something.

Organized competitions where people fight on fair grounds against other powerful players are more worthy than people fighting in unbalanaced situations where people can kill people easier than others because of cheap debuffs.

IF you deserve super gear for easy crap, then Fresh 80s deserve high class 25 ulduar hard mode gear because they do normal instances whcih are more fun to them.

Arena players are Superior because they fight on EVEN grounds, they don't get points for killing someone taking +50% damage or something, they fight with everyone at their best just going at it. THey need tactics and they all have to be ready to listen and watch for issues, in a BG you don't have to watch for anyone but yourself.
    You really sad enough to believe this?

Arena players are not necessarily superior.

They are sometimes fortunate to have rolled what is now an OP class 4 years ago

They are sometimes people who leveled more quickly and got a head start on gear.

They are sometimes people who are lucky enough to be carried by people in their team who are OP or highly skilled.

And sometimes they are indeed highly skilled (certainly at high level where they will mainly face OP FotM high skill characters)

Arena,s are not even, and will favour one team or another, unless they are identical in both team make up and gear even if only to a small extent.

Bg,s are more likely to even out class differences and create a leveller playing field on a raid group size basis.

One thing that irritates me about Arena players is the "Look at my gear, I,m so skilled" attitude, my view is, if your so skilled why do you need an equipment advantage which you protect on forums as being only your right. If you are truly so uber you would have no problem with everyone having access to equivalent gear so you can truly win by skill alone.

So what is your problem with BG players having a decent reward set - not gladiator of course, but a unique high level set of their own?

As to rating, this could be achieved by damage done and healing excluding overheals - this cannot be afk'd. As to the Pallies have an advantage when healing, when have their ever been sufficient healers in a bg? just go find someone else to heal.

The OP has a really, really, really, really one-sided view and is essentially comparing rated arena to non-rated bg's, while the point should be to compare rated arena to rated bg's, but there are no rated bg's yet. This is the reason there are no equal rewards for bg's at the moment and you did a fine point at pointing out why, but other than that you are either 1 year too late, or don't realise what the point of rated bg's would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parynziux
    So, you are clearly the biggest nerf to your class. Hush.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger
    You really sad enough to believe this?

Arena players are not necessarily superior.

They are sometimes fortunate to have rolled what is now an OP class 4 years ago

They are sometimes people who leveled more quickly and got a head start on gear.

They are sometimes people who are lucky enough to be carried by people in their team who are OP or highly skilled.

And sometimes they are indeed highly skilled (certainly at high level where they will mainly face OP FotM high skill characters)
    And "Op classes" totally won't do anything in a BG?

Head start on leveling? Yeah because that does...Nothing, getting gear earlier means nothing about your chances to get gear total.

You haven't made any points on why a BG deserves the same, you are stating things that don't support anything since this goes for BG's too.

Also what the hell do you mean you can get carried in an Arena? 2v2, your partner can't kill two people alone unless they sit around and let you kill them. In a BG this is possible because you can just run around tell your team mates res and save you.
    Arena,s are not even, and will favour one team or another, unless they are identical in both team make up and gear even if only to a small extent.
    Bg,s are more likely to even out class differences and create a leveller playing field on a raid group size basis.
    "I hate that stupid Bridge, the Alliance has it so easy"

One thing that irritates me about Arena players is the "Look at my gear, I,m so skilled" attitude, my view is, if your so skilled why do you need an equipment advantage which you protect on forums as being only your right. If you are truly so uber you would have no problem with everyone having access to equivalent gear so you can truly win by skill alone.
    Why should gear exist then? Why is it when you hit 80 you shouldn't get all the best gear right off, and why would you need BG gear then? Gear represents skill because you've gotten to the point to wheree you can get it; you can't get arena g ear unless you got the rating.

So what is your problem with BG players having a decent reward set - not gladiator of course, but a unique high level set of their own?
    Nothing at all, you still get Decent gear, you just don't get the best gear, take Merciless gear for an example, everyone got that, it was gear BGers could get, it just wasn't as good as what those who invested more time in the Arena and worked harder got.

As to rating, this could be achieved by damage done and healing excluding overheals - this cannot be afk'd. As to the Pallies have an advantage when healing, when have their ever been sufficient healers in a bg? just go find someone else to heal.
    I could get a Friend of mine who has a Horde Character, we both go to AV, meet up some corner where noone goes, Seal of light, afk. THat's all you need to do over and over. You can also get addons for other things like this. Damage done can also be damage to the NPCs in AV. Cannons and such in Strand could affect this too.

This is also higly dependant on location. If I'm a defender in AV I might fight nothing the entire round, specially a tower. SO why would anyone protect anymore and get nothing done?

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones
    The OP has a really, really, really, really one-sided view and is essentially comparing rated arena to non-rated bg's, while the point should be to compare rated arena to rated bg's, but there are no rated bg's yet. This is the reason there are no equal rewards for bg's at the moment and you did a fine point at pointing out why, but other than that you are either 1 year too late, or don't realise what the point of rated bg's would be.
    I'm relating how BG's are an intro into PVP (more sofcoreish) where Arenas are more Hardcore, just like instances and raids.

Post info, not just saying I don't know what I'm saying.

i am finding it kinda pointless to reply to be honest you see only what you want to see and "misunderstand" everything else,

ive met many arena players in bg's and tbh their not really that superior, most they are just dead...
    obviously it takes a bit longer and some more skill kiting them around or so but eventually they die just the same

i just want rated bg's coz then the people who like to participate in bg pvp will meet people of their own skill lvl, instead of all them green geared "i just hit 80" people.

we can agree on disagreeing about skill required for arena vs battleground as much as you like, however i dont think arena players need to be that skilled, they just need the correct combo and you think bg players dont need to be skilled, although how you come to that conclusion i dont quite follow, since if you want to win quickly you need to be skilled or start out with a perfect group build vs a less perfect one..

To Copain,

On the contrary, I,m sure you know more about arena than I do, my bad luck choices to lvl to 80 mean I have yet to have an OP FotM class.

However, I do spend a lot more time in BG,s than you "probably" do in Arena, and likewise on PvE geared characters for PvE content. In BG,s with poorly equipped characters compared to Arena rewards I can hold my own with "superior" geared players due the the larger format.

Arena players complain about PvE gear being usable in Arena's if its OP (all of a sudden its not skill its the gear). Similarly why should equipment for Arena,s and PvE be the best for larger scale PvP as in BG's?

Is it so unreasonable to provide a decent gear set based on a format which is played by more people than Arena, and was there long before the seriously flawed format was even thought of let alone introduced.

We dont want Gladiator titles or special mount rewards or even your gear, we just want a decent competative set of our own.

BTW - just so you know - Arena isnt only 2v2, there are 3v3 and 5v5 formats too which offer the same gear rewards so it is possible to carry individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by archform

Average out dmg and healing...

extra points for
    HK
    Deaths*yes deaths cause that means your at least in a fight**Killing yourself by a spell wont count*
    .........................the 2 above would prolly give the least amount

AB
    being within 50 yards of when a base was assulted and if tis captured you earn the extra points
    if you dont capture base you earn no points
    ..................killing Enemy players while within 50 yards of the base you control
    *there is no possible way to tell the diff between a afker and someone jsut standding in one place defending *
    *being within 50 yards of flag when its defended
    Nice idea for AB, but the "average" part I don't like... simply because it will still bring some points to all those monkeys that stupidly follow the guy in front of them, and 7-8 of them dissmounting to kill ONE lonely oponent in the mid field road, or just picking up group fights in the middle of nowhere away from any flag they could assault or defend...
    Basicly all the monkeys that make a hudge pile of dots on the map, in a big fight in the middle of a road... Instead of defending/aiding/caping a base...

I would also add a penalty for leaving a base undefended and runing off to score some kills, if you are the only guy near it...

But even if they would ever add something like this, it will never work perfect, and the system will have too many flaws, rewarding people who don't deserve it, or punishing people who deserve to be rewarded...

Let me use this quote to sum up my point.

Quote Originally Posted by nitalon
    Even if they would ever add something like this, it will never work perfect, and the system will have too many flaws, rewarding people who don't deserve it, or punishing people who deserve to be rewarded...
    This is what I mean.

Those with ideas only see them as good while this is how it would be in the end. No matter what you do, there will be ways to abuse it, and they will be abused.

You'd earn a bad play rating for doing things that might be good, just not seen as good. Bad players would abuse something for higher quality gear.

I'm not saying I don't think it'd be cool for the gear to be implimented. It'd be cool. But it will be abused, a lot more than anyone is willing to think. That's why I want the gear tyo stay the way it is, where BG's give old arena gear. People have claimed before that Gear sohuldn't be a way to show off or anything like that, and that it's skill which gets you farther, which is why I see it even LESS important to get higher quality gear from BG's.

In Burning Crusade the thing that annoyed me the most is when I went to do an instance I'd have people in Full Merciless going around doing horid DPS. Even now, at 80, I see people trying to do stuff with it. And they do lower DPS than me, the tank.

I like the Current version of Wrath because there isn't any "high quality" pvp gear for instances out. I see more people trying to use PVE gear for PVE rather than PVP gear for PVE.

I also really don't want to hear "Those guys are idiots, I don't do that and most don't" or something, because next to everyone did it. I never did one Kara without someone earing Merci gear.

why wouldnt you lol, i mean the retri s3/4 was far superior to the t6, only good t6 pieces were in sunwell,

i just hate the fact that some off those arena players get free gear for 2 hours arena a week and i have to grind hours and hours to get some reasonably good gear, but no worries ive found the solution, ill just farm pve instances and buy my pvp gear with marks... that works aswell

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

BG's could and actually should get some sort of rating system(not like the old PvP system), a system that in some way track skill and dedication, as it is now BG's are just a grind fest for headless chicken, which takes away the fun in any BG you enter. BG's shouldn't be just something you use to get that decent starter gear for arenas. I should be able to chose which form of PvP I would like to participate in and have fun, and without a "carrot" people don't even try. BG's right now is horrible, there is no fun in them, no one is trying everyone is just trying to get as many HK's as possible and stroke their epeen.

I see no reason for why not making BG's actual fun. People who truly hate arenas is looked upon as second grade players. If there was some sort of skill measurement in BG's they would actually be enjoyable again, which they haven't been in a long long time. I want to be able to join a BG and have fun and not just lose a game because there is no real point in trying to win.

How they would implement such a thing however is where the hard part comes in, I believe that it's probably almost impossible.

why wouldnt you lol, i mean the retri s3/4 was far superior to the t6, only good t6 pieces were in sunwell,

i just hate the fact that some off those arena players get free gear for 2 hours arena a week and i have to grind hours and hours to get some reasonably good gear, but no worries ive found the solution, ill just farm pve instances and buy my pvp gear with marks... that works aswell
    Free gear? You mean that gear that they have to be high rated for, where as it doesn't matter what you do, you get gear? Please learn about what rating is. BTW, those who have the rating letting them get the gear have spent much longer than two hours a week in arenas. Plus they can't get their gear instantly. Lets say a team starts and gets 2K rating in one weeek (meaning they've spent HOURS upon hours in arena's to get there, as you begin quite below that and only get a few points (aren't they making it so you begin at 0 next patch?). Even if they get the required rating they will still need to wait ~3, maybe even more weeks to have enough points to get -ONE- Item.

PVP gear is better for PVP, PVE gear is better for PVE.

Exera, I don't see how making people have ratings would make BG's fun. INfact I think it would make them less fun. I go to a BG to kick back and have fun, not to here people yelling "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!!?!?!? I NEED RATING AND YOU HAVE TO PLAY SERIOUS LIKE NOW!!!" BG's wouldn't be fun, you'd have to work now that it's all one big competition. BG's are no longer casual, they are about who's the best, and thus no longer fun.

1 - No problems with arena player getting better gear than all those doing only BG.
    2 - Indeed arena needs more skills than BG (and I am absolutely terrible at arena and quite ok in BG)
    3 – Season 5 : -65% of active arena teams compared to season4, which was already a bad one (looks like more and more casual players just stopped playing arena).

That means, one of the rare fully geared arena player can come and utterly rape me in BG/Wintergrasp while I'll never be able to inflict them any kind of sustained punishment.

Solution : gear only available from arena stays in arena and should not be usable in BG/wintergrasp or even world PvP.

actually lol that would be great, just let them epeen arena players, as they think off themselves stay with what they think is superior and let the real pvp players do whatever they like, i like your idea about gear stays where its gathered

I 100% disagree if you are wearing greens and blues you are worthless in a BG. You hinder your team with your presence. Go get some easy heroic/Naxx epics then try. With blues and greens you are worthless.