Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to maximize Circle of healing effect?

Ok, so I am a holy priest with full t7,5. The thing bugging me is: my raid-healing holy colleague seems to be holier than me when circle-of-healing. Much, much holier! I'm hitting my circle button (with glyph) every 6 seconds whenever somebody is taking damage in combat (even if just to get an instant flash heal), and so does he. Both our overhealing is minimal. Still when the battle is over his circle has healed not only twice or three times the damage mine healed for, but up to FIVE times! This adds up to a monstrous amount of damage healed. So how is he doing it? He is taking this for granted and cannot explain to me why this is so, while for me circle always was just a convenience, healing-for-almost-nothing spell.

While I'm generally not judging healing by dps- (or rather hps-) meters, this huge discrepancy in efficiency I cannot ignore. What am I doing wrong here? Are there trinkets I should get (no trinket luck at Naxx yet)?

Could it be the crit rating? My own crit is only 12.5%, while he has twice that much.

Re: How to maximize Circle of healing effect?

Do you have remotely the same gear ?

I don't think so. There is no point in comparing yourself to somebody with much better gear.

He's just faster, I bet.

Do you guys have the same spec? Do you both use a Healbot-type of add-on?

1) 12.5% for holy spells & raid buffed is low , if it's self buffed for all spells it\s gd. He has a bit too much crit for a priest imo.

2)From personal xp , a litle bit of lag will make ur CoH land 2nd even if u casted them at he same time hence healin for almost nothing. (but if the other priest is faster with targetting and casting CoH than u then well u get it :|)

Apart from that i'm doing almost the same thing and i'm topping our healing meters (2 druids , 2 shammies , 2 priests , 1 pally usually).

the only thing i can immagine as being the reason is the crit rating (might be in relation with spellpower too, but u didnt say what stats you have, so im only referring to what u gave us). 12,5% is pretty low. Im assuming this is general crit, so that makes 17.5% with holy spells. Usually you should try to have 20-25% selfbuffed holy crit rating. If your friend has much more crit, then the reason for the difference is obvious. You should provide us with armory links both for your character and your friends. Thats the best way we can help you out.

Deleted

Its very simple.

Your CRIT is extremely low. And when you cast Circle of Healing, be sure to WHO you cast. because if you cast in a player that is a little far away from the rest of the players...your Circle of Healing will be extremely inneficient.

Be sure to cast the Circle of Healing to where all the players are. You have to be smart about that also. And GET SOME CRIT !! it helps.

PS: Btw..dont care about haste anymore...just bet on CRIT all the way. Its the future for priests since patch 3.0.0. Even more when 3.1.0 is out.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

~30% Crit with raid buffs should help

At least that's where i am with raidbuffs, 5/5 holy spec, no crit sockets or enchants.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Quote Originally Posted by Ektoplasme
    Do you have remotely the same gear ?
    I don't think so. There is no point in comparing yourself to somebody with much better gear.
    Who said something about better gear? "Full t7,5" - there is no much better gear out there. And it's common sense to assume I managed to pick up other decent items along the way, isn't it? Sure, many Naxx/25 pieces are individually better than t7.5, but not that much. That's what my colleague was going for. He also got 2 nice trinkets from Naxx:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...alas&n=Eldalie
    Looks like for some reason his crit is lower than I remembered.

Here's my stuff:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...halas&n=Taleas

Quote Originally Posted by BravePT
    Its very simple.

Your CRIT is extremely low. And when you cast Circle of Healing, be sure to WHO you cast. because if you cast in a player that is a little far away from the rest of the players...your Circle of Healing will be extremely inneficient.

Be sure to cast the Circle of Healing to where all the players are. You have to be smart about that also. And GET SOME CRIT !! it helps.

PS: Btw..dont care about haste anymore...just bet on CRIT all the way. Its the future for priests since patch 3.0.0. Even more when 3.1.0 is out.
    Now this appears to be sound advice. I believe I tend to target the main tank, even when I'm on raid healing duty ... and since the MT usually is standing a bit away from the rest of the group ... argh. Should have been obvious. Combine that with my low crit rating even when I manage to hit the fat and happy dps bunch with circle occasionally, and we're getting to the core of my problem. Thanks!

You want to look at some WWS data to see how many targets you healed with CoH in comparision to your other holy priest... looking at the amount healed realy doesnt tell much of a story.

If the other holy priest is hitting 150 targets and you're hitting only 30 targets than that gives you far more detailed information.

Personally I like to cast CoH on myself, that way I can position myself around the raid in a fashion that gives me a lot of control of how CoH will heal the raid. If possible I like to position within 10-15yds of the Melee while being within 10-15yds of the ranged.

I don't see how this is true... haste increases your HPS throughput a lot more effeciently than crit... critical heals tend to overheal and they are subject to RNG which makes using them for HPS throughput difficult at best.

Crit used to be great for mana effeciency due to talents like SoL, Serendipity and HC/IHC... but those talents are changing along with spirit regen mechanics which makes crit rather lacklusture for that same purpose. It will still have some effect on mana effeciency but no where near the same as it once did.

So i'd like to understand your reasoning why crit is better or more desirable than haste?

I've got an idea to answer your question:
    How to maximize Circle of healing effect?
    It's quite simple, really. Uninstall any Recount or heal "meters" of any kind. If you look at a WWS, it's not to compare your healing to theirs, it's to find your overheal and see which spells/talents you actually are making use of (more than you think you are).

Comparing your ability to spam a 6 second cooldown with somebody else's and find yourself on a list of "successful healers" does not equate to skill at all, and the fact is he probably has his hit a fraction of a second before yours, thus yours is overheal.

TL;DR Who the fuck cares about meters?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted

Simple, have you saw the new priest talents on PTR ? have you read the patch 3.1.0 notes? have you tested the priest on PTR ?

Patch 3.1.0 will be more mana dependent, since the regen of spirit will get a huge nerf, and the new priest talents, gives you imba mana regen if you crit ("Holy Concentration talent"). And if you are a top priest, or want to be, its very common to search the best guilds in the world, to see how they are equipped, and what do you find? almost all the priests are going for crit instead of haste.

Taleas...try to not cast CoH on Tank !! only if the melees are low HP also or in some emergency. but normally...dont use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    TL;DR Who the fuck cares about meters?
    QFT, imo i tend to go into a rage whenever healing meters get posted.
    In the end just 1 thing counts: Boss went down, everyone alive << Good job healers.
    Nothing more nothing less.

Had a very short discussion when i switched from holy to disc about my drop in HPS.
    Basically the discussion can be boiled down to : "STFU" ;D (much nicer words, but sill the same message)

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    I don't see how this is true... haste increases your HPS throughput a lot more effeciently than crit... critical heals tend to overheal and they are subject to RNG which makes using them for HPS throughput difficult at best.

Crit used to be great for mana effeciency due to talents like SoL, Serendipity and HC/IHC... but those talents are changing along with spirit regen mechanics which makes crit rather lacklusture for that same purpose. It will still have some effect on mana effeciency but no where near the same as it once did.

So i'd like to understand your reasoning why crit is better or more desirable than haste?

It's simple really. Raid buffed at ~30% crit you proc holy concentration a TON. Alot of your heals are hasted already (HC proc). No to mention the free heals from surge of light with all of those crits.

Quote Originally Posted by Venelar
    It's simple really. Raid buffed at ~30% crit you proc holy concentration a TON. Alot of your heals are hasted already (HC proc). No to mention the free heals from surge of light with all of those crits.
    Buuuuut, in 3.1 holy concentration will just increase your regen and will probably always be up (needs 1 crit every 8 seconds).

Crit will not affect your haste in 3.1

So all in all, crit will not be as sexy anymore next patch

Haste to speed up your flash heals and renews will be pretty hot though

Edit, And people not liking healing meters are usually the ones at the bottom :P

The boss will go down alot smoother if people actually recieve your heals and they get recorded on the meters :P

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishcow123
    Edit, And people not liking healing meters are usually the ones at the bottom :P
    I play a disc priest because CoH without a cooldown to top meters took so much skill amirite?

not true, haste is very important! in ulduar ptr testing my crit is easily above 30% raid buffed and thats fine to start with. my haste is over 12% and honestly it is an amazing stat. combine that with serendipity and i get 1.2 sec GH. there is no reason to gem/enchant for any extra crit, our gear comes with enough along with raid buffs, we are fine.

and to be on topic my guess is CoH the tank is a huge part of your problem and your reaction time just might not be as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    I play a disc priest because CoH without a cooldown to top meters took so much skill amirite?
    Skill has nothing to do with it, people need healing to I pick the optimal spec to heal them with.

And I've never been beaten by a disc-priest, not even on tank&spanks where their healing power is said to shine.

"But you need to add 25% for the absorbed healing!"

Done that, still not even close.

And having 3% mitigation and 6% more healing done to 1-3 persons in a raid does not offset that.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishcow123
    Skill has nothing to do with it, people need healing to I pick the optimal spec to heal them with.
    And you justify optimum by what shows up on a meter?

And I've never been beaten by a disc-priest, not even on tank&spanks where their healing power is said to shine.
    You fail to understand the concept of a disc priest.

"But you need to add 25% for the absorbed healing!"

Done that, still not even close.

And having 3% mitigation and 6% more healing done to 1-3 persons in a raid does not offset that.
    It's closer to 40%. And it's the fact that they stay focussed whereas you become the opportune healer wherever you need to. It's not the meter that makes them shine, it's the fact that they can do your job so much easier/better.