Poll: Disc or Holy as THE arena spec in 3.1

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Disc vs Holy

Disc vs Holy

Read before voting please, and dont forget to give a comment on why u voted for it

Is Holy becoming more viable for PvP?

- Talents like Body and Soul, counters rogues and drain hunters
    - Blessed resilience
    - Lightwell even tough its stationairy, its a very powerfull and underestimated spell
    - Guardian spirit vs Pain Duppression
    - The more overall better heals
    - Faster heals with Serendipity
    - Not sure about the mana regen, but Concentration vs Rapture
    - Stacking crit/resi/stam, procs alot of Concentration and Surge of light

Adjust the some talent points all u want, i just wanted to mention the important ones that i focussed on.
    hybrid holy/disc w/o PS/GShttp://talent.mmo-champion.com/?priest=&version=9757#
    Full disc spec http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?priest=&version=9757#
    Ohshit GS spec http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?priest=&version=9757#

Grtz Powell
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Re: Disc vs Holy

nope still disc

Problem with holy is they lack a .5 second Mass Dispel and Damage Reduction FW+PS=52% to survive burst. GS is a nice 51 point but with MS up its only 25% and guess what most classes can do that 25% in 1 hit. PWS does a lot for Disc in PVP where as holy its kinda meh and flash heals are an open invite to lockouts by any good player.

Maybe 5v5 a Holy Priest can be somewhat successful with a team with decent CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    - Talents like Body and Soul, counters rogues and drain hunters
    This is nice, but I don't think it's enough. The chance to remove poisons isn't that hot, especially since Holy can't really afford to go deep enough into Discipline to get Absolution or much for PWS besides maybe IPWS.

- Blessed resilience
    The only change is 3% more healing, which is nice, but Discipline got a similar buff to a pvp talent with 3% crit, so only a slight relative buff.

- Lightwell even tough its stationairy, its a very powerfull and underestimated spell
    Easily countered by bursting it down (about 5k HP I think?) or simply kiting or peeling people. Besides, it breaks when 30% of your total health is done which, in most cases, can be easily done within a few seconds.

- Guardian spirit vs Pain Duppression
    As someone else pointed out, Mortal Strike makes Guardian Spirit realtively weak. Pain Suppression isn't affected by that, and neither is PWS, so Discipline still has much more effective tools for handling MS. The only real benefit is that Guardian Spirit has the built in death prevention effect which will proc even if you're stun-locked with it up, where Pain Suppression may not save you if you can't get a heal off in time.

- The more overall better heals
    Bigger heals, potentially, but it's hard to balance. PWS is a very effective tool and it will absorb a lot of damage. In general, damage you never take in the first place is damage that doesn't have to be healed, so it's better off. Maybe Holy will have a bit more effective HPS, but so much more of it takes time to land, which is more risk for burst damage to take someone too low first.

- Faster heals with Serendipity
    All it really does is let you weave in a Greater Heal at roughly the same speed as a Flash Heal while FH spamming. So it's not so much about faster heals as it is getting in some bigger ones. Discipline will have faster heals from BT Haste and the free talented Haste. And I'd generally say that faster is better than bigger because it means less spikiness.

- Not sure about the mana regen, but Concentration vs Rapture
    I think Discipline will win out here because of the larger mana pool and cheaper Flash Heals.

- Stacking crit/resi/stam, procs alot of Concentration and Surge of light
    Same for Discipline, except it will proc a lot of Divine Aegis which, unlike Surge of Light, doesn't take a GCD to apply. Besides, Holy will have a harder time stacking Crit because they'll need enough Spirit to help boost Spell Power and regen, otherwise what good is Holy Concentration? I imagine Discipline will have a much easier time stacking Crit simply because Spirit is less useful to them.

I also generally like the mitigation talents that Discipline has much more. Holy gets Blessed Resilience and Body and Soul. Discipline gets Focused Will and Renewed Hope, both of which I think are better than either of the Holy Counterparts. You also still get more utility from Discipline like Power Infusion, faster Mass Dispels, Improved Mana Burn, and cheaper cleanses. IMO, Holy still needs a considerable amount more work to be as good as Discipline.

However, as mentioned by a poster above me, I could see Holy working out decently in a 5v5 team, especially if you have a second healer who can help take advantage of Guardian Spirit and help avoid the spike damage while Holy gets in the big heals. Similarly, I can see it working well in Battlegrounds or Wintergrasp. Either way, I think Discipline is probably at least on par in those situations, if not still superior.

Guardian spirit doesn't really compare to pain suppression in PvP, the heal is reduced by MS effects not to mention it can be dispelled. Maybe if disc hadn't received buffs in 3.1 they might compare, but self-penance is going to be huge and might even let some creative priests skip desperate prayer and put 12 points into shadow for 4 seconds off fear, or maybe even 17 points for 2 minutes off shadowfiend. I personally will be trying it out, hopefully with the DK nerfs I won't need that instant heal after the garg/hammer/strangulate combo. We'll see!

thx for the replies, its pretty much obvious that Disc is and will always be better for pvp

I will test this spec when 3,1 comes out.

gives body and soul, poison cleansing, speed boost when shield is cast.

I never liked blessed resilience, doesnt work well with blessed recovery.

with this spec you will miss:
    pain suppression.
    power infusion.

But still gaining:
    alot of healing power,
    focused will (always liked it better than blessed resilience) ,
    spirit of redemption,
    0,5 cast time mass dispel,
    Imp mana burn,
    lightwell,
    Holy concentration.
    a whole bunch of crit rating from the holy tree and focused will. 8%
    and surge of light, for instant flash heals or smites.
    and the shield speed boost+poison cleansing will help you kite more, so mabe not that much need for Pain suppression.

anyway, just going to test it when 3.1 goes live, it might suck, but still worth a try.

reg stgeorge.

post your thoughts pls.

Oh the spec didnt copy on to my last reply. here it is.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...0&version=9757

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge
    Oh the spec didnt copy on to my last reply. here it is.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...0&version=9757
    id say trade imp PW:F for improved inner fire