Thread: Prot newbie

Prot newbie

hey guys im new to the whole pally tanking thing i have a 80 lock but i got sick of dps an want to tank so far i have the fundamentals down of it i know that i am low but i dont want to be one of those tanks that screw around an lose aggro so if you guys can be nice can i get some pointers on how to be a good tank.

I know there are lots of these posts but i cant be bothered with someone elses questions cuz i have my own.

thanks

Re: Prot newbie

o ok but wat bout abilities i have been doing SOW>Con with RF, SOR an BOS to

thanks alot and thanks for the link it seems alot of fun tanking as a pally just aloti need to learn i guess

you get 540 defence.. this is very important, becuase with 540 defence you cannot be critted by any boss in the game

next you stack stamina, then when you have a nice HP pool (around 26-7k) you should start focussing on Avoidance, this is Block/Parry/Dogde, IMO Dodge is the greatest avoidance stat atm, bosses are hitting big, not small, so block is not that useful as it only stops a bit of the damage, but when you dodge you take NO damage, although, having block is good for things like trash.

You should also be using Seal of Vengance, the one that stacks a DOT up too 5 stacks, and then also use the glyph that will give you 10 expertise when you have Seal of Vengance on, this seal is the best for threat. its also becuase of this glyph you will not need too stack expertise like a warrior does.

I hear alot of people saying you should use a 969696 rotation, i personly dont do this, i always start with Shield of ritousness, then Hammer of ritousness for burst threat from the start, i then use judgement ( Not the best for threat, but i have taken the ret talent that gives 3% crit too raid when judge is up as we dont raid with a ret )
    after that choose whatever skill would be best for the situation.. after that skill my ShieldoR will be back off CD and after that HoR again, (If you want too keep your threat high, use Shield of Ritiousness on EVERY CD

You also have a skill called Divine Protestion, it is like your bubble, but instead of making you immune, it makes everything do 50% less damage for the time its up, this is brilliant becuase when you use it you lose NO threat, unlike bubble. You should use this skill at a time your going too take alot of damage, or notice alot of people taking damage.. it will give your healer them presious few seconds too heal everyone up and still keep you alive, using this skill at the right time can be the difference between Wipe and Clear

well, i could go on for ages talking about prot palas, but if you have anymore questions ill be happy too help.

all of the tanking titansteel/titanium purples, head, neck, ring, feet, shield. shield can be replaced by H Cos, everything else shouldnt see a replacement until 25naxx/os/mally

i didnt touch a singl heroic and did my first heroic being over 540 def rating, also can buy the body and backpiece from wyrmrest accord rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzader
    you get 540 defence.. this is very important, becuase with 540 defence you cannot be critted by any boss in the game

next you stack stamina, then when you have a nice HP pool (around 26-7k) you should start focussing on Avoidance, this is Block/Parry/Dogde, IMO Dodge is the greatest avoidance stat atm, bosses are hitting big, not small, so block is not that useful as it only stops a bit of the damage, but when you dodge you take NO damage, although, having block is good for things like trash.

You should also be using Seal of Vengance, the one that stacks a DOT up too 5 stacks, and then also use the glyph that will give you 10 expertise when you have Seal of Vengance on, this seal is the best for threat. its also becuase of this glyph you will not need too stack expertise like a warrior does.

I hear alot of people saying you should use a 969696 rotation, i personly dont do this, i always start with Shield of ritousness, then Hammer of ritousness for burst threat from the start, i then use judgement ( Not the best for threat, but i have taken the ret talent that gives 3% crit too raid when judge is up as we dont raid with a ret )
    after that choose whatever skill would be best for the situation.. after that skill my ShieldoR will be back off CD and after that HoR again, (If you want too keep your threat high, use Shield of Ritiousness on EVERY CD

You also have a skill called Divine Protestion, it is like your bubble, but instead of making you immune, it makes everything do 50% less damage for the time its up, this is brilliant becuase when you use it you lose NO threat, unlike bubble. You should use this skill at a time your going too take alot of damage, or notice alot of people taking damage.. it will give your healer them presious few seconds too heal everyone up and still keep you alive, using this skill at the right time can be the difference between Wipe and Clear

well, i could go on for ages talking about prot palas, but if you have anymore questions ill be happy too help.

that is very helpful thank u so much the gear an the rotation is my biggest worries also my threat so thanks to that i should have no prob with threat

Quote Originally Posted by Armael
    i didnt touch a singl heroic and did my first heroic being over 540 def rating, also can buy the body and backpiece from wyrmrest accord rep
    535 is uncrittable for heroics and honestly, you don't need that either.

Provided that you and your group are good, you don't need the warm and fuzzy "required stats".