Thread: Professions?

Professions?

So, my priest has been an enchanter/Tailor forever but tailoring has become imho pretty bad so I'm debating leveling another profession.

I raid and arena as Disc. My guild will be pushing Ulduar 25 hard modes and I'm aiming for as high arena rating as possible in between raiding nights.

Alchemy: Improved flasks/Elixirs and the (situational) trinkets are the bonus here. I even have a maxed herbalism toon I can use should I decide to level it. Downside is you don't really get the bonuses when you don't actually flask...

Jewelcrafting: The gems and the trinkets are the bonus here. However, I do feel like the gems are somewhat lackluster for a priest and the trinkets are jsut blue trinkets, they're decent but not amazing (I have pretty much every WotLK raid trinket)

I could level Leatherworking or Blacksmithing but they don't really feel like they match my class well, Inscription has no added bonus except the shoulder enchants but they're marginally better than exalted SoH ones, Gathering professions are a no-go and engineering would only be useful in arenas.

Thoughts? Input? What would you do to maximize your performance? Thanks in advance
    Donolgann, the Astral Walker <WHATEVER WERE AWESOME>
    Magtheridon-US

Re: Professions?

If you raid as Disc, you're going to want the tailoring cloakweave. That mana restore procs constantly, and regen for us is taking a serious fall. Keep it, you'll need it.

I personally would drop enchanting for Engineering if you wanted both PvE and PvP, so that you can keep that tailoring cloakweave.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Actually that mana return on cloak has a 1 minute cooldown, so it hardly procs much.

right now you if you really wanna max your characters stats you should level JC, especially for pvp/pve you can have two sets and use 6 prismatic gems. For pve getting to use 27 res gems are nice.

For pve the gems are amazing especially since you dont have to worry about using the gems you dont want too to match socket bonuses. For shadow 3x +32 sp gems, and for holy/disc 3x +27 int gems are amazing.

JC / BS is a pretty powerful combo at the moment, the added 2 sockets are very versatile combined with JC gems and the new Epic gems that are coming with 3.1. Only getting one of the epics to start out with, adding a socket to put one in is huge.

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain

Profession 1: Tailoring. Kelesti is right. Darkglow is the regen king.

Profession 2: JC or Blacksmithing. JC gives you 3 super gems vs Blacksmithing giving you 2 extra gem sockets.

Using INT as a placeholder stat (others work out to the same ratio):

JC:
    -------------------------
    x3 Brilliant Dragon's Eye (JC ONLY)= 81INT
    vs,
    x3 Brilliant Autum's Glow = 48INT
    NET INT GAIN = 33INT

Blacksmithing:
    --------------------------
    x2 addition sockets NET GAIN = 32INT

Now, when epic gems come out whenever, the equation may change if they do not update the Dragon's Eye gems.

As a side note, enchanting nets you 38SP, which is the same for BS @ 38SP (x2 Runed Scarlet Ruby), and less than the net gain of JC of 39SP.

Of course, this is not taking into consideration that Prismatics can assume the role of any gem type, meaning a possible bump in stats due to socket bonuses. Or, the utility/moneymaking of enchanting. Just raw numbers and such.

Tailoring gets a damn powerful back enchant in 3.1. However, if you want to purely min/max then you should go jewelcrafting/blacksmithing.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritusVex
    Of course, this is not taking into consideration that Prismatics can assume the role of any gem type, meaning a possible bump in stats due to socket bonuses. Or, the utility/moneymaking of enchanting. Just raw numbers and such.
    That socket bonus thing is what makes JC oped. Otherwise its on par with pretty much every crafting profession except engineering and tailoring. JC is also quite easily where the money is at.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetoez
    Actually that mana return on cloak has a 1 minute cooldown, so it hardly procs much.
    300 mana per 60 seconds = 25MP5, which is far better for mana regeneration than other cloak enchants available.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.