Poll: What class would you pick as your main raider?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Who to choose?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Who to choose?

I wanted to get some opinions from others about this.

Right now my main is my DK. Don't get me wrong, I love playing him and I'm in the top 5 dps in whatever raid I'm in. I also have an 80 hunter, though he is only half geared, and a 72 pally.

My question is, should I continue to play my DK or switch to the hunter or even get the pally up?

I ask this b/c atm I'm bombed with college work, so I don't have enough time to play a bunch of toons. I can still raid and such, but not enough to suit 2, let alone 3 toons.

My thinking is this:
    - Hunters are a "pure" class, so I figure I can most likely top meters more often with him. I'm pretty close now, and I'm still sitting in some blues.

- Pallies are OP (lol). I've seen a ret pally nearly 800dps ahead of equally geared players consistently on boss fights. I'm quite jealous. :P

- My DK, tried and true. I have a full tank set on him as well as a dps set. Both sets need a couple minor upgrades though, nothing to special.

With the duel spec system coming, I plan on tanking more often on my DK, or pally if I switch to him. So if I go with the hunter, I lose that versatility.
    Honestly I don't care which one I play, I like them all, and have about 1 1/2 years exp with the hunter & pally each. This is why I want some outside input.

So yes, the switch is mainly to top meters. My lock friend and I compete, and recently he has pulled ahead more frequently. *shake fist*

I'm just looking for some input and reasons why, thanks all.

Re: Who to choose?

completely depends on what you want to do.
    you want to dps you can chose all 3.
    want to heal sometimes chose pala.
    wanna tank chose pala or dk.
    wanna do all with one char again pala.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tanked

My thinking is this:
    - Hunters are a "pure" class, so I figure I can most likely top meters more often with him. I'm pretty close now, and I'm still sitting in some blues.
    So yes, the switch is mainly to top meters. My lock friend and I compete, and recently he has pulled ahead more frequently. *shake fist*
    you answered your own question.. If you want to top dps of your pure classed lock friend, go a pure class.

Quote Originally Posted by Whooptidoo
    you answered your own question.. If you want to top dps of your pure classed lock friend, go a pure class.
    Yes, as I mentioned I've seen pallies over hunters. I top meters and out do most hunters on my DK now. The pure class thing is a factor, but its not a deciding factor for me.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

A paly that has bad gear can out dps a epic hunter that doesnt know his rotation.
    That are factors to.

If you put 2 evenly geared paly/hunter next to eachother and the are evenly smart etc, then the hunter SHOULD do more dps, still everything is based on factors like those few little hits that had to crit but didnt etc etc

I think both you and your friend know what you are doing, so if you want to top him, go pure.

*edit, if paly realy are top of dps charts then they prolly get a little nerf.
    I rarely see one on top, and according to blizzard, pure classes should be on top.

Paladin, imho.
    I play a 80 Priest with and 80 Death Knight as alt, and when I change spec, I find it very enjoyable to start thinking where to look to improve in that spec, what instances, theorycrafting about that, etc.
    With a Paladin you'll be able to choose 3 different playstiles, with 3 different type of items and all their mechanics.

So far, the best WoW experience for me is the hunter. Sure, I'm rather pigeonholed into dpsing playing my hunter, but personally, I find that pugging raids for alts during off days is a good way to vent off the frustration of not having an offspec.

Playing one sure beats playing melee in my book :P

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue
    bladestorm would probably be counterable with feint if i could recognise when he does it, all these warrior abilities look the same...

My thinking is this:
    If that´s your #1 reason to pick any of the classes then you are way off target.
    1 - pick the class you like the most.
    2 - if you are in a serious guild and have ben there for some time, consider picking the class your guild need.

Picking a class to top the meters and to support your ego is not the way to go.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

play the class you most like not the one all the others tell you. If you like hunter the most with his pet than its better to play this class than a pally oder dk just because all the others told you to play that.

you'll always be better in playing a class if you like it then disliking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whooptidoo
    A paly that has bad gear can out dps a epic hunter that doesnt know his rotation.
    That are factors to.

If you put 2 evenly geared paly/hunter next to eachother and the are evenly smart etc, then the hunter SHOULD do more dps, still everything is based on factors like those few little hits that had to crit but didnt etc etc

I think both you and your friend know what you are doing, so if you want to top him, go pure.

*edit, if paly realy are top of dps charts then they prolly get a little nerf.
    I rarely see one on top, and according to blizzard, pure classes should be on top.
    Yea, there are a lot of variables in any given situation. In theory a hunter should beat a pally, and in most cases they do. It's just that I have seen 2 pallies in particular who are just insane, they beat out everyone. It has made me envious of them, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DepecheMode
    If that´s your #1 reason to pick any of the classes then you are way off target.
    1 - pick the class you like the most.
    2 - if you are in a serious guild and have ben there for some time, consider picking the class your guild need.

Picking a class to top the meters and to support your ego is not the way to go.
    This what I was hoping people would take into consideration when reading this. I did mention I can tank as well as dps on my DK.

My guild doesnt really need another tank. Though I do end up OT on a few fights, or if a tank goes afk I tank so we can keep clearing trash. But this isn't a vital thing.

As for what class I like the most, I enjoy them all. I guess I would lean toward hunter for the "pure" thing, and I prefer ranged dps over melee slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Paladin, imho.
    I play a 80 Priest with and 80 Death Knight as alt, and when I change spec, I find it very enjoyable to start thinking where to look to improve in that spec, what instances, theorycrafting about that, etc.
    With a Paladin you'll be able to choose 3 different playstiles, with 3 different type of items and all their mechanics.
    This is true, 3 different styles will keep things fresh. The only problem is I won't really have time to gear out for another spec. Unless a lot of gear that no one needs for their main spec drops. (then again that does happen often..*ponders*)

Quote Originally Posted by Enova
    So far, the best WoW experience for me is the hunter. Sure, I'm rather pigeonholed into dpsing playing my hunter, but personally, I find that pugging raids for alts during off days is a good way to vent off the frustration of not having an offspec.

Playing one sure beats playing melee in my book :P
    I was thinking the same thing when answering another post. :P

Atm I think I'm going with the hunter. Oddly the hunter was my main b4 WotLK until I switched to the DK... *irony* :

Thanks everyone for you responses.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with picking a class for its competitive personal DPS, if that's what you're into, you want to beat your friend who plays a lock on the meters, than hunter could be the way to go. Right now it might look like Ret is OP, but a similarly geared hunter who knows what they're doing should always win. It's just that hunters have some margin for error, and how well you know the spec determines how well you do, whereas Rets basically need to get a good weapon, stand in range and roll their face on keyboard to do amazing DPS.

If you plan on playing at a high level (raid full of very skilled and geared people) and want the highest DPS..

The Hunter is the highest DPS of the classes you listed.
    I'm not sure whether a Death Knight or a Retadin would be second; on live at the moment, Retadin DPS is extremely weak. So weak that it's pretty much a joke. Death Knight DPS is overpowered at high gear levels. But either way, in 3.1, the Hunter will be on top of the two.

Im not going to vote because I think I could help you more with a full comment. In our guild we urge people to play what they like most. We have a core of people that have several geared alts and with the flexibility of 25 man comps we easily accomodate change. Dual spec will only help even more here. #1 is play what you like.

#2 is play what the guild needs the most. Can't find a solid shaman for heroism, play that and enjoy being a large contributor. My guilds biggest problem is with paladins. We have 8 that raid well and frequently. However the flexibility in comp is not quite enough to accomodate this kind of distribution. It wouldnt make sense for someone to want to roll a pally to raid with us.

#3 While I do not condone this because it is egocentric, I know plenty of people that play DPS because they want to do the most damage possible. While selfish to want to top meters, it still helps the raid. I'm one of these people, Ill be the first to admit that but I also spec to bring a needed buff should the situation arise. From what I have seen during the 4 months of wrath raiding, a smart and skilled hunter is untouchable on the charts. It simply comes down to play mechanics, they have larger range and can dps on the move. Everything else is very competive with eachother in skilled hands.

So, play what you want and if the guild cant support it (unlikely) play a class that the guild needs but in the role you like. Dont be a FoM reroller to top DPS though thats just lame, learn to play your main to the best it can be.

I say go with the pally.
    Simply hes like 3 chars in one.
    You got awesome tanking gears ... start collecting a healing set and go holy.
    Tired of healing, dust of those ret gears and start trying to dps.
    Noone needs a dps in their raid ... get your tanking gears rdy.

Druid and pallys are the funniest class to play becasue you dont need to reroll another toon to change your role in a group

why dont you dps with hunter
    tank with dk
    and heal with pally

I'm guessing OP is a fail toon because he's not smart enough to decide which class he wants to play and needs others to tell him what he likes... :-X

Anything but the Death Knight.
    Please.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21
    I'm guessing OP is a fail toon because he's not smart enough to decide which class he wants to play and needs others to tell him what he likes... :-X
    Im fail b/c I like to get input on making a decision? Take your lame ass flames somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Canovalys
    why dont you dps with hunter
    tank with dk
    and heal with pally
    B/c as I said in my original post I do not have time to play multiple toons. Otherwise this is probably what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by zsuper
    If you plan on playing at a high level (raid full of very skilled and geared people) and want the highest DPS..

The Hunter is the highest DPS of the classes you listed.
    I'm not sure whether a Death Knight or a Retadin would be second; on live at the moment, Retadin DPS is extremely weak. So weak that it's pretty much a joke. Death Knight DPS is overpowered at high gear levels. But either way, in 3.1, the Hunter will be on top of the two.
    Ret is no where near weak, calling it a joke just shows you don't know much about pallies, or have never ran with a good one. I do agree that hunter is the way to go for highest dps in the end tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs
    I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with picking a class for its competitive personal DPS, if that's what you're into, you want to beat your friend who plays a lock on the meters, than hunter could be the way to go. Right now it might look like Ret is OP, but a similarly geared hunter who knows what they're doing should always win. It's just that hunters have some margin for error, and how well you know the spec determines how well you do, whereas Rets basically need to get a good weapon, stand in range and roll their face on keyboard to do amazing DPS.
    Yea, my friend and I openly admit we compete. So far no one has said "don't try to out dps each other" lol.
    Ret is ez mode I agree, but seeing those big seal of blood crits just makes me all warm inside, haha.

Oh, and an update: ran a full 25naxx clear on my hunter a day ago. (not to sound special, just saying that as reference to my story) I was shocked at how much easier the fights are as ranged rather then melee.
    I haven't played my hunter (aside from lvling to 80) for months, so I was just used to raiding as melee I guess. But not having to chase after Grob, or watch for blizzard on sapp (as much as melee, it sucks imo), etc... It was just so much more enjoyable.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bainz
    Anything but the Death Knight.
    Please.
    This made me lol. All the DK hate. /hide

Pally would net you more options, and when dualspec is coming, you'll get probably always a spot as a dps/healer/tank. This is if you're pugging and not running raids with your guild, if so, then you should ask your guild what they need.

I CHOOSE YOU PIKACHU!!!!

But seriously... Tanked I love you. I havent seen you around where you been?