Poll: For the ones that rather click then make a post.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dispersion Replacement - Shadow Word : Barrier

I know there are a 1001 posts about this over the interwebz, but i wanted to share my version about this.

Version 1

Shadow Word : Barrier

1735 Mana

Instant Cast 2 Minute Cooldown

You are surrounded by a vampiric mist, making you immune against crowd control spells for 10 seconds and enabling you to drain energy from enemies.
    While the shield remains you will take 90% less damage from attacks and leech 3 % health every second from up to 3 enemies within 10 yards.
    Should Shadow Barrier be dispelled then the dispeller will take 25% more damage from attacks for the remaining duration.
    You are able to cast spell in this form.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Version 2

1735 Mana

You are surrounded by a vampiric mist, making you invisible for 10 seconds and enabling you to drain energy from enemies.
    While the shield remains you will leech 3 % health every second from up to 3 enemies within 10 yards.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

[Glyph Of Shadow Barrier]

Shadow Barrier heals all friendly targets within 15 yards of the caster for 30% of the damage done.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'd like some decent and thought trough comments on this spell and not just a mindless rant like:

"Go QQ somewhere else and accept your never be viable for pvp"
    or
    "If That happens priests will get way to op, if this makes live i quit wow"

I've did some thinking about this one 'n for me it's a neat spell wich aint to op, numbers can be changed to make it match your vision how the spell would be more balanced.

Imo it's a dedent spell to get some breathing room once and awhile in pvp and at the same time be helpful to others.
    Not to mention it'll make ppl scared of u for once in a while, "...omg he bubbled/vanished, SPREAD OUT !"

Re: Dispersion Replacement - Shadow Word : Barrier

The third one is incredibly powerful for PVE, possibly to the point of being overpowered.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

-Edited-

In raids or instances, you would need to be in the middle of the action to be able to heal effectively that way, not to mention change dps improving glyphs.

Might be seriously overpowered for soloing yes... But add a longer cooldown 'n it'll be a nice 'oh shit' buttong no ?

Btw, Shadow priest could use a hug in pvp aswell as pve imo

-Edit 2-

If it should be too powerful in pve, the glyph can always be changed to only heal party members

The best suggestion I have seen to make Dispersion better for PVP is to have the major glyph reduce the cooldown and mana regen by 65%. Then it would be a 1 minute cooldown and really help out with surviving burst. In PVE currently, it is an excellent backup mana source as well as being good protection if needed, like when you are Iceblocked or pull aggro while AoEing.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Won't they just focus on others while your are "ice blocked" and continue to pound on you after that ?

And perhaps there could be a minor glyph, replenishing your mana instead of health for XX% of damage done by Shadow barrier ? Run in towards some anemies, and while dealing damage, you're gaining mana + the defense that comes with it.

I'd like to receive some more constructive posts, taking the possible changes i mentioned into consideration, aswell as the helpful posts other people made.

I am rarely shadow, however, my initial reaction is that this boils down to a 10sec virtual invulnerability that AoE's 3 targets for 30% of their health. First off, for this to be even remotely balanced between PvE & PvP, it would have to be a base number + SP coefficient. 30% for a PvPer with 25k health is 7.5k. 30% of a trash mob with 390k health in 25man would be 117k.

Casting while invisible is completely out of the question for PvP.

If your purpose is to "make people spread out" (i.e. focus on someone else), something more reasonable would be like this:

Dispersion (the name describes the effect well imo):
    (1) You disperse into pure shadow energy for 10sec
    (2) You are shapeshifted (i.e.- immune to poly/hex/MC)
    (3) You are immune to movement impairing and stun effects
    (4) You take 90% less damage from attacks
    (5) You cannot attack
    (6) Melee attacks against you cause the attacker to recoil in horror for 3sec. OR You are slowed by X%, and every second you send out a pulse that causes enemies within 15yards to recoil in horror for 2sec (cannot be applied more than once every 2sec).
    (7) Dispersion is immune to normal dispels (i.e.- same as DS & IB)
    (8 ) Restore 3.5% mana every second.
    (9) 5 min CD

I prefer the actual dispersion over both of your suggestions.

90% Dmg reduce is something i definitly want to have, and about manaregn, dunno how bad it will be in Ulduar...

And yes i dont care much about PvP

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Still.Aliv3
    I know there are a 1001 posts about this over the interwebz, but i wanted to share my version about this.

Version 1

1735 Mana

You are surrounded by a vampiric mist, making you immune against crowd control spells for 10 seconds and enabling you to drain energy from enemies.
    While the shield remains you will take 90% less damage from attacks and leech 3 % health every second from up to 3 enemies within 10 yards.
    Should Shadow Barrier be dispelled then the dispeller will take 25% more damage from attacks for the remaining duration.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Version 2

1735 Mana

You are surrounded by a vampiric mist, making you invisible for 10 seconds and enabling you to drain energy from enemies.
    While the shield remains you will leech 3 % health every second from up to 3 enemies within 10 yards.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

[Glyph Of Shadow Barrier]

Shadow Barrier heals all friendly targets within 15 yards of the caster for 30% of the damage done.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'd like some decent and thought trough comments on this spell and not just a mindless rant like:

"Go QQ somewhere else and accept your never be viable for pvp"
    or
    "If That happens priests will get way to op, if this makes live i quit wow"

I've did some thinking about this one 'n for me it's a neat spell wich aint to op, numbers can be changed to make it match your vision how the spell would be more balanced.

Imo it's a dedent spell to get some breathing room once and awhile in pvp and at the same time be helpful to others.
    Not to mention it'll make ppl scared of u for once in a while, "...omg he bubbled/vanished, SPREAD OUT !"

so here all peole QQ over paladin? and now you want a better bubbel there give you life AND you can cast spells? wtf? no way in hell

15+ Year Old Account

Yeah those ideas are overpowered to the max.

Just use one of the following changes and dispersion will be balanced:

a) Doesn't silence you anymore
    b) Regens Health and Mana (or lower CD to 2 mins and give health regen via glyph)
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Honestly if they could just add the knock back effect from blast wave or thunderstorm to dispersion, it would fix the spell for me. Right now it just delay's the inevitable death by 6 seconds. It doesn't allow us to try to escape back to range like we're supposed to be able to. Even with 3.1's snare removal and immunity, we aren't getting away from rogues or warriors with the spell, so they can just reapply the snare once dispersion wears off. If Dispersion would do what it currently does but also knock back all targets within 10 yards and maybe even give a 3-5 second daze effect, that would allow us to use it both offensively (helping to peel our partners in arenas or help to defend a flag/node in bgs) or defensively to either get away or attempt to get back to range. Also keep in mind that Dispersion still remains a self silence here so you can't knock them back AND dot them up. With a change like this, plus PH, we have at least some weapons to help with melee, albeit with long cooldowns.

What if dispersion absorbed all the dmg done and released it when you cancel the aura or it expires in an explosive blast. That way when you disperse people want to stop attacking you, and get away.

Or

If dispersion dropped bleed effects, and possibly other debuffs it would have more purpose. This wouldn't be over powered in PVE if cloak of shadows isn't over powered in PVE. Also please explain to me how "pure shadow energy" still bleeds?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dominada
    What if dispersion absorbed all the dmg done and released it when you cancel the aura or it expires in an explosive blast. That way when you disperse people want to stop attacking you, and get away.

Or

If dispersion dropped bleed effects, and possibly other debuffs it would have more purpose. This wouldn't be over powered in PVE if cloak of shadows isn't over powered in PVE. Also please explain to me how "pure shadow energy" still bleeds?
    2 very good suggestions. I especially like the first one.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

To balance the first suggestion cap the dmg blast to no more than X% of a players health it hits. Or the left over remnants of that shadow energy is a cloud on the priest that does damage if you come back into range for 4 seconds or so. If there was a melee range DoT component to dispersion after dispersion ends it would be ok that you are silenced for the duration. It would still give the desired effect that you do not want melee on you, and the opportunity to get some dmg casts in.

Well the problem is mate sure they can give you this, BUT honestly priests need not just 1 huge OW SHIT button

If we were to give you this you would end up in the same state they'd just LoS you when you use this move and avoid damage
    and come back and kill you, leaving you in the same position you were in my suggestion is keep dispersion as it is, lower its cooldown
    and make it refresh psychic horror or something of that sort.

Priests need survivability but yet again most cloth wearers do (Fire mages) (Spriests).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Revoka
    Priests need survivability but yet again most cloth wearers do (Fire mages) (Spriests).
    Problem is though: Firemages can spec arcane or rather frost and have fun and do good in arenas.

And to whomever will come now and say "LOL priests can spec disc and have fun and do good in arenas" - changing spec from shadow to disc is a change of roles. A firemage who changes to a frostspec can still have the same arena partner, a priest who changes from shadow to disc cannot.

True statement but thats the only thing mages can do, we can't heal god forbid blizzard adds a healing spell for mages.
    Mages have been DPSing since level 1 and if we say a mage has been frost all his mage life and wants to spec something else
    well nothing is viable for PvP except Arcane or Fire, what blizzard said before if I remember that they want to make all specs viable
    for PvP but sadly I dont see them doing this correctly, they should listen to idea's from the community if they want they're income to
    inrease imo.

If we are taking 90% less damage it doesn't really matter if they hit us for the most part. Now if dispersion had an effect around the priest for 4-12 seconds after it ends, that would make you think twice about going into melee range.

They could always just make it so you regen 6% mana and 3% health per second while dispersed and it is instantly more useful than in its current state.

At the moment dispersion is a team oriented ability. It gives your team 6 more seconds to try and win the fight while you soak up some damage. It does little for the priest because normally by the time you use it, the chances you are going to die are very high.

Why we have dispersion, and what it is supposed to be used for should be clarified by blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominada
    If we are taking 90% less damage it doesn't really matter if they hit us for the most part.
    Tell that to the Ret Paladin that ignores damage reduction. Yeah, I went there.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Tell that to the Ret Paladin that ignores damage reduction. Yeah, I went there.
    Or the rogue building up combo points on us, or Chaos Bolt, or applying all of your debuffs without having to worry about being countered.