Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Penance. How often?

So I just hit 80 with my priest and I am Disc right now.

1.5k sp, 650 mp5, 171 haste, 15% holy crit.

How often do you use Penance?

Each CDs?

When the tank take a damage spike?

Some advise would be appreciate

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

Re: Penance. How often?

My split on Disco/Holy is about 20%/80% for Wotlk, so there may be some more dedicated Disco priests out there who have more field testing.

In my experience, its all dependent on the fight. If its a steady damage fight, there is no reason not to blow Penance on every CD. If, however, there are known damage spikes, I would hold it for them. To go even further, If the damage spikes are on a set timer (i.e every 30sec), you can use a boss mod to set up a PW:S/ProM/Renew combo before the damage hits. Then, when the hammer comes down on the tank, throw Penance.

Oh, and as a suggestion, I'm pretty sure your "650 Mp5" is your OS5SR numbers. Most of the time "Mp5" is in reference to IS5SR, especially for Disco priests, who rarely see regen breaks. Some folks love to bring the flame over crap like that.

I personally keep it for spikes, but I do use the occasional Penance, just for fun and variation.

It's nice for Sartharion and Malygos breath healing.

I haven't played disc since like level 76 or so, but isn't it by far and away your best spell?

(My alt is shadow but will go disc for healing with the advent of dual spec, so that is an honest question from a disc noob)

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    I haven't played disc since like level 76 or so, but isn't it by far and away your best spell?

(My alt is shadow but will go disc for healing with the advent of dual spec, so that is an honest question from a disc noob)
    Yes, it is.

But it serves its purpose as an "oh-shit" spell, so well.
    You might reconsider casting it, and cast flash heals and shiels all the time.. And then have Penance kick in when the shit hits the fan.

Though I only do that if the damage spikes are common, usually with an undergeared tank.
    With a decently geared tank, I tend to use it more often, because healing is more reliable.

With an overgeared tank, I don't use it at all, because he never gets low enough, and i just sit in the back, shielding and yawning while watching television.

It really depends on the tank.

As above it's great for that moment the brown stuff hits the spinning object and starts to splash everywhere!

It's also good for long fights if you have many "on cast/crit" effects. Good examples are meta gems, embriodery (spelling) and trinkets. Penance is near free and the next best thing to CoH for casts per second (holy nova is good too mana costly). Remember too it may not heal in Lothabe but it's on cast effects (grace, inspiration and divine ageis) are proc'd.

*posted from iPhone appologies for the spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Yes, it is.

But it serves its purpose as an "oh-shit" spell, so well.
    You might reconsider casting it, and cast flash heals and shiels all the time.. And then have Penance kick in when the shit hits the fan.

Though I only do that if the damage spikes are common, usually with an undergeared tank.
    With a decently geared tank, I tend to use it more often, because healing is more reliable.

With an overgeared tank, I don't use it at all, because he never gets low enough, and i just sit in the back, shielding and yawning while watching television.

It really depends on the tank.
    Lol ya, once on a loatheb fight, I got a spore and used divine aegis (since it procced off just about EVERY gheal) and PW:S constantly. Apparently, even though the tank is immune to healing, divine aegis STILL procs on him! At the end of the fight, lo and behold the TANK took the least amount of damage during the fight Wish I had the WWS on that crap it was amazing :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Thanks for the advises.

I'm currently using it to put a 3 Grace Stacks when the tank doesnt take alot of damage but when they does I use it when they are 10k or lower in HP.

And what stats should i aim for in crits haste etc?

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

The more intersting stats for a disc-priest would be spellpower, crit and a big manapool.
    Haste, spirit or MP5 is usefull but less important than it is for a holy-priest.

This is for pre-3.1, with the upcoming patch, we won't get most of our mana from rapture, then stats like spirit or MP5 will become more necessary to sustain a good mana regen.

A good use of penance is with the talent that boost the haste of your next non-instant spell after casting a PW-S. Penance will benefit from the haste bonus and the Fh/GH cast next.

PW-S / Penance / GH is a good combo to reactively top tanks.

I use penance as often as possible. Usually in this sort of rotation:

PW: Shield
    PoM if its not still active/ Renew
    Penance
    Greater Heal/Flash Heal

This makes the best use of the 25% haste proc given. Instants and channeled spells do not remove the casting speed buff which lasts 4seconds. As long as you start casting your Greater Heal/Flash heal with just a split second of this buff up,your spell will cast with 25% faster speed.

I use 151 base haste rating. Which is 1.37 Flash, 2.28 Greater heals. (57/14/0 build). With the PWS proc up its dropped to 1.09 Flash and 1.82 Greater. Raid buffed... its even faster. Penance is 1.82 sec base with 1.46 on the PWS buff(.73sec between heal hits).
    80 Paladin (x2), 80 Shaman (x3), 80 Rogue (x2), 80 Mage, 80 Death Knight, 80 Priest, 80 Warrior, 80 Hunter

15+ Year Old Account

Still dont understand why people use renew <.<

*Anyway*

It depends on the fight, in fights like Maexxna you may need to save it til after everyone gets wrapped, or on fights like Kel'thuzad hold off on using it until he ice-tombs someone, on most fights that don't have specific gimmicks like these, you can use it pretty much on ever cooldown.

Penance's efficiency easily surpasses both GH and FH in terms of both HPS and HPM, even you include the possibility of one tick of Penance being canceled due to a hit.

I say, if there's any need for a heal, Penance is on top of your arsenal.

( Though, of course, you should make use of PW:S as well when the chance occurs. )

Original creator of the PointlessThread++;

Well if it's a fight with pretty predictable/common incoming damage I try and save it for a spike. But it being our most efficient heal, if there's no spike and it's been off CD for a few seconds I'm using it. It helps keep grace up most efficiently, it helps keep inspiration up most efficiently, and come 3.1 it will be awesome at getting DA stacked up.

It's a mixed answer really. It does so much efficiently but it's also a good "Oh sh*t!" heal. My final answer would be use it mostly immediately lol. But like all healing, you just gotta feel it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Artex
    Penance's efficiency easily surpasses both GH and FH in terms of both HPS and HPM, even you include the possibility of one tick of Penance being canceled due to a hit.

I say, if there's any need for a heal, Penance is on top of your arsenal.

( Though, of course, you should make use of PW:S as well when the chance occurs. )
    This too.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Still dont understand why people use renew <.<
    PWS + renew, is a fire and forget heal. Preventing a lot of issues along the way in a raid damage heavy environment.
    80 Paladin (x2), 80 Shaman (x3), 80 Rogue (x2), 80 Mage, 80 Death Knight, 80 Priest, 80 Warrior, 80 Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by FurioRing
    PWS + renew, is a fire and forget heal. Preventing a lot of issues along the way in a raid damage heavy environment.
    Yeah but you could argue that most situations could do fine with 1 flash heal compared to the 2 GCD's you use to do that. Saving time and mana.

15+ Year Old Account

Renew is simply a waste of a GCD.

There should be no reason why you shouldn't be able to pop renew on the tank every 15sec (12sec glyphed). If your tank is dying because you used a GCD to refresh renew, something is amiss. Either that, or your healing Sarth-3D during the period when drakes 2 & 3 are up.

Ack! I fell victim to the thread hijack!!!

/resume Penance, How often?

Yeah but you could argue that most situations could do fine with 1 flash heal compared to the 2 GCD's you use to do that. Saving time and mana.
    The simple answer... both are instants. Done on the move. Prevents damage, then recovers the damage that is already in place.

Extremely useful between trash, great for warlocks, paladins, and priests that like to kill themselves.

The bubble is prevention. Which is great for making sure people never need the healing. The renew is the fire and forget aspect making sure the healing comes in slow rather than dumped in. Maintaining a higher per second HP avg than what Flas can do

The simple answer... both are instants. Done on the move. Prevents damage, then recovers the damage that is already in place.

Extremely useful between trash, great for warlocks, paladins, and priests that like to kill themselves.

The bubble is prevention. Which is great for making sure people never need the healing. The renew is the fire and forget aspect making sure the healing comes in slow rather than dumped in. Maintaining a higher per second HP avg than what Flas can do
    The fire and forget about the mana you just spent you mean?

Renew is lower HPS than Flash Heal, because all of that wonderful healing is spread out. Now Renew + Flash x however many (complementing Flash) does turn out a little higher, but it's alot more mana intensive to maintain. It's also less efficient for time AND mana unless all four (or unglyphed five) ticks heal. The second that your target's at full health, it's efficiency drops incredibly compared to a Glyphed Flash Heal.

Use it to buff your HPS on Sarth 3D, but it's not your go to spell. Ever.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Exactly Kelesti. Every point exactly. Nice post :-*