Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizz post about Frost Mage PvE dmg low

I was just curious to see if you guys think that blizz might actually be creative for once and found a way to boost frost mage pve dmg enough to not make them more op on pvp? Me personally I think it's gonna be something they nerf in like a month.

Re: Blizz post about Frost Mage PvE dmg low

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteryoface
    I was just curious to see if you guys think that blizz might actually be creative for once and found a way to boost frost mage pve dmg enough to not make them more op on pvp? Me personally I think it's gonna be something they nerf in like a month.
    No, sorry. frost mage wont make a pve comeback.

Sorry
    Sorry
    Sorry.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

I'm honestly frightened by what is taking place on the BlizzCon forum.

If Frost PvP was overpowered I could understand the concern, but considering Frost is still a fairly underrepresented spec in PvP, a PvE and PvP boost in damage isn't exactly uncalled for. Just because it was great 2 patches ago doesn't mean it can't be helped out a bit.

Mages are represented fine in arena, Warriors and Druids are the only sub par classes in arena atm.

I'm not saying that mages are underrepresented, just that Frost isn't the dominant spec that it was formerly, Arcane builds are still more popular in Arena compared to Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by shandala
    I'm not saying that mages are underrepresented, just that Frost isn't the dominant spec that it was formerly, Arcane builds are still more popular in Arena compared to Frost.
    Update yourself please! :P Arcane is dead for serious arena PvP.

64% of the top rated 2v2 teams are 20-0-51, and 70% of 3's are the same spec aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    Update yourself please! :P Arcane is dead for serious arena PvP.
    It's not dead, it's simply just not what it used to be. Considering arcane was the only spec where you could move freely AND dps at the same time, people got upset because combined with Slow, it was pretty devastating. Not devastating as in dominating, but as in bad PvPers couldn't cope with it (a good melee could still rip you a new one).

Frost is still dominant for the top teams because of it's survivability and on demand burst. It's almost as bursty as Arcane with more survivability but lower PvE damage. If frost isn't as dominating as before, it's simply because people who can't handle frost now have an alternative to learning frost, go lolArcane.

PvE Frost will never be on par with fire and arcane simply because of the fact that it has so much survivability. But I agree that it should be higher than it is right now.

In overall Arena participation they are still about even (what is "top arena teams"? top 10 top 100 the statement itself means nothing). Frost damage wouldn't be overpowered if Frostbolt's DPS was increased considering that in PvP it still has a significant cast time and is therefore subject to interrupts and can't be cast while moving. No one thinks that an increase to Ice Lance's damage is the solution to Frost's low PvE damage.

blizz knows the problem , they want to fix frost in pve , they just dont know how to do it. Thing is frost pvp is pretty much where its suppose to be , its almost the only viable arena spec for mages , exceptions will always be , but overall its the dominant spec in pvp .

Blizz wants to fix frost to be better in pve , they dont know how to do it whithout making it OP in pvp , altho considering the state that the DK's are, its pretty hypocritical from them "we worry cause it might be too OP" .
    Banned for trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by enoesiw
    It's not dead, it's simply just not what it used to be. Considering arcane was the only spec where you could move freely AND dps at the same time, people got upset because combined with Slow, it was pretty devastating. Not devastating as in dominating, but as in bad PvPers couldn't cope with it (a good melee could still rip you a new one).

Frost is still dominant for the top teams because of it's survivability and on demand burst. It's almost as bursty as Arcane with more survivability but lower PvE damage. If frost isn't as dominating as before, it's simply because people who can't handle frost now have an alternative to learning frost, go lolArcane.

PvE Frost will never be on par with fire and arcane simply because of the fact that it has so much survivability. But I agree that it should be higher than it is right now.
    I always saw it as people who didnt know how to pvp as arcane went lolfrost

One possibility would be to let the Frostbolt-Glyph reevaluate the spelldmg-coefficient on Frostbolt since its slow effect ist gone (but letting Fingers of Frost procc)-> pve buff, non-relevant for pvp

PvP-wise, Arcane pre-nerf was undeniably overpowered. It was far too easy to deal far too much damage. The fact that Paladins and Death Knights were and are more overpowered doesn't change that.

Frost does a lot of damage, but it can be countered and is a bit more difficult to pull off. I think it's in a decent place, or at least it would be if the "big 4" got taken down a few notches. The biggest balance problems come when a spec is both the easiest to use and the most powerful. There is then zero reason to go another spec. If Blizzard can't manage to make a spec require skill, then it should be reserved as a somewhat weaker, simpler spec for new players to run around with (BM hunters, arcane mages, blood DKs). Extra challenge (Frost mages, Destruction warlocks, etc) in a spec should be slightly better in the hands of a skilled player. Right now that often isn't the case. You can use all the abilities and complexities of your class, and be outmatched by a ret paladin running around spamming judgments, crusader strike, and divine storm.

PvE-wise, well...this game has much bigger problems than that one mage spec is low on DPS. Maybe Arcane or Frostfire isn't your style, but at least all the mage trees are good for something.

If Frost PvP was overpowered I could understand the concern, but considering Frost is still a fairly underrepresented spec in PvP, a PvE and PvP boost in damage isn't exactly uncalled for. Just because it was great 2 patches ago doesn't mean it can't be helped out a bit.
    Uh what... (PVP) If you think frost is not OP compared to the others specs. please delete your mage this instant.
    (pve) if you frost in pve. you fail. Delete your mage this instant.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

I'm honestly frightened by what is taking place on the BlizzCon forum.

I hate to say it but i don't see frost becoming a viable mage spec, it is hard to keep something balanced when it has both high survivability AND high dps.

Blizzard took one step in the right direction of making glyph of ice lance different. It is purely a PvE thing, and I have heard complaints about people liking the extra 5 yards to ice lance. He said it was a way of putting rogues/warriors in combat so they won't charge/stealth. I doubt many serious PvPers ever took glyph of ice lance. I would say going glyphs is a good idea to make frost more powerful for PvE without harming the strength of PvP. They could also add extra talents, but that is harmful within itself. It is a challenge for blizzard to do that, but I must say mages are lucky to have 3 specs so far that are viable for raiding. Compare that to say, hunters, where I rarely ever see BM or marksman hunters raiding. Not a lot of the pure classes have 3 different specs that produce excellent DPS.

so every answer here that was given saying frost will not ever be pve viable is "because it would be unfair for pvp"

As a long time pve player who earned 90% of his 5k honorable kills in ogrimmar ,thunderbluff or undercity all I can say is fuck pvp,its ruining the game.

just go buy counterstrike already your fucking up my game of choice

That kind of mentality leads us nowhere, both pve and pvp are part of the game and you need to understand both must be catered to at the same time which is really difficult for the designers. Honestly we have it really good right now in both pve and pvp, so imo stop whining and count your blessings. You cant have everything your way.

Quote Originally Posted by draconith
    That kind of mentality leads us nowhere, both pve and pvp are part of the game and you need to understand both must be catered to at the same time which is really difficult for the designers. Honestly we have it really good right now in both pve and pvp, so imo stop whining and count your blessings. You cant have everything your way.
    From a Shadow Priest: Thank you, and props to you for thinking this way. While Shadow Priests are desperate to have our single PVE dps spec keep up with pure DPS classes, here we have Mages arguing about how not all three PVE dps specs are as good as the other. I would gladly inherit your problems if it means having at least 1 out of 3 DPS specs to choose from that's viable enough to keep up with other DPS classes in an equal skill / gear situation.

Edit:

Please don't turn this into a hybrid vs pure argument. I was a Shadow Priest long before this hybrid -vs- pure thing, debating between Mage, Lock, and Spriest. I chose Spriest because of their interesting play style. I'm a pure DPS at heart even in other MMOs, not just WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gzilia
    Uh what... (PVP) If you think frost is not OP compared to the others specs. please delete your mage this instant.
    (pve) if you frost in pve. you fail. Delete your mage this instant.
    Frost PvP like many have said is in a good place.

I have a Frost PvE mage and I will not delete it. I admit I dont pull off 5k DPS but I am very happy with my 3.2k dps on patchwrek and my guild is also happy with that because we bring in players and not specs. Bottom line is to have fun. I have fun with my frost mage and I refuse to spec it other wise. Been frost since level 10 and will be frost after 3.1.

I would like to see some improvement in the frost PvE dps and I think frost mages are not asking for something that drastic. Every hybrid class and their mother is getting a viable tree and so should Mages.

Also dont make your self look like a retard by making statements of deleting characters.