Thread: Post Your UI

  1. #5261
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Muncken87 View Post
    I have looked at some of the creators of many minimal uis and most of them are doing normals
    Me using my minimal UI doing hard mode firelands!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiA5HZyK93o&

    You don't need tons of useless information on the screen to play properly. I could have removed half of the information that was in my UI and still play the game doing hard-modes; the only reason there was quite a bit of information was because when I released it people wanted me to display more things.

    I could quite easily raid with a player, target and ToT frame with a DBM timer and nothing else on the screen. I look at the game world itself more than anything. The only time I look at the UI is for a quick, which is usually less than a second.
    Last edited by carebear; 2012-02-26 at 01:40 PM.
    Random stuff WoW UI Enthusiast WoW
    Youtube Some old UIs care#2582
    Stream (when I bother) Lastest UI (Roth's Diablo inspired) EU-Horde

  2. #5262
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    132
    That is true u dont need much to be able to play, but if ur tracking lots of things, 7-8 cds , tracking ur mana, and ur unitframes (healing perspective) atleast for me, i couldnt be able to heal with for example a 20 pixel high frame, like some elements need to be bigger for me atleast, this is from a healing point, maybe u need less things if ur a tank or a dps.

  3. #5263
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Good minimal UI's show the exact amount of info you need in a easy to process way. If you can't use the UI because it's "to minimal", then it's purely a design flaw. Has nothing to do with minimalism itself though.
    Might not even be a flaw with the UI since that is just the opinions or needs of one person.
    Bars vs Icons vs Timers as a very simple example in how the display of durations is very much a personal choice and something which no single UI can cater to really.

    That is the reason why both NeedToKnow and TellMeWhen are both popular addons in their own right despite overlapping somewhat in features.
    One displays bars while the other displys icons with timers, and therefore will cater to different preferences.

    And that is not taking into account the assumptions you make of what someone wants to or needs to know about.

    This is one of my biggest arguements against flat-out recommending a premade UI such as a TukUI variant because it was made by a person who is not you.

  4. #5264
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Might not even be a flaw with the UI since that is just the opinions or needs of one person.
    Bars vs Icons vs Timers as a very simple example in how the display of durations is very much a personal choice and something which no single UI can cater to really.

    That is the reason why both NeedToKnow and TellMeWhen are both popular addons in their own right despite overlapping somewhat in features.
    One displays bars while the other displys icons with timers, and therefore will cater to different preferences.

    And that is not taking into account the assumptions you make of what someone wants to or needs to know about.

    This is one of my biggest arguements against flat-out recommending a premade UI such as a TukUI variant because it was made by a person who is not you.
    Yeah u work best with ur own things, aslong as u can perform 100% using ur ui, u might make its really pretty being very minimal, but u might perform worse just my cent.

  5. #5265
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Muncken87 View Post
    maybe u need less things if ur a tank or a dps.
    I don't think it's down the the role, just the player themselves. Some people can work with the absolute minimum information whilst others need or like to have the information there.

    http://i.imgur.com/vUc9O.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/8wzuL.jpg

    Two minimal healing UIs that I made and used, the first being less so minimal.
    Random stuff WoW UI Enthusiast WoW
    Youtube Some old UIs care#2582
    Stream (when I bother) Lastest UI (Roth's Diablo inspired) EU-Horde

  6. #5266
    The Patient drglenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    204
    Remake I did of my favorite UI from TBC: Hal's UI
    original UI thread @ Hal's old guild: http://www.thepalsforlife.com/punbb/...ic.php?id=2928)

    clean:


    party:
    Last edited by Treeston; 2012-02-27 at 07:18 AM.

  7. #5267
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    I don't think it's down the the role, just the player themselves. Some people can work with the absolute minimum information whilst others need or like to have the information there.

    http://i.imgur.com/vUc9O.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/8wzuL.jpg

    Two minimal healing UIs that I made and used, the first being less so minimal.
    I like both of them, im gonna have a try with lfr without any buttons at all, i have a habit of both looking at my buttons and cooldowns so i dont miss anything, since i most of my spells binded, i dont really have a use for my buttons, esp if u have a cooldown addon that hides the spell when its off cooldown, its can be abit annoying when its gone and u have to think what spell was missing now,

    Aslong as the ui works for each person. i was thinking alot about the customisation lately ^^

  8. #5268
    Quote Originally Posted by Muncken87 View Post
    I like both of them, im gonna have a try with lfr without any buttons at all, i have a habit of both looking at my buttons and cooldowns so i dont miss anything, since i most of my spells binded, i dont really have a use for my buttons, esp if u have a cooldown addon that hides the spell when its off cooldown, its can be abit annoying when its gone and u have to think what spell was missing now,

    Aslong as the ui works for each person. i was thinking alot about the customisation lately ^^

    I've been quite the same, had the habit of looking at my buttons for cd's etc, but now in my latest UI, the bars in the middle is not bound at all, they are simply there to see the cd of my major cd's

    I find this is the best way to learn any new keybinds. I don't really need it on my shaman as I know the keybinds in and out, but on any new chars or alts even, I find it to be the best way to force myself to remember my keybinds.
    Last edited by Speedtrax; 2012-02-26 at 04:11 PM. Reason: fixing grammar...

  9. #5269
    Mechagnome Nightbliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    702
    I've been (and still am) a DPS'er, a Tank and a Healer on High End content through all my WoW carreer and I've always used minimalistic UI's.

  10. #5270
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtrax View Post
    I've been quite the same, had the habit of looking at my buttons for cd's etc, but now in my latest UI, the bars in the middle is not bound at all, they are simply there to see the cd of my major cd's

    I find this is the best way to learn any new keybinds. I don't really need it on my shaman as I know the keybinds in and out, but on any new chars or alts even, I find it to be the best way to force myself to remember my keybinds.
    I got 2 bars for my spells, 4 major cds there, but rest is almost utility, and then ontop of my healingframes i got 7-8 cds that i track also, even if i dont look at them always i tend to look at both those and my buttons, incase i miss something.

    I tried a lfr without my bars at all, and just cooldown buttons and it feels abit empty, ofc it take time to get used to it, but if i cant do my best id just rather stick to my default setting.

    I think its rather nice having cooldowns that dissapears and buttons that still show, cause at some point u will be stuck with all ur cooldowns used, and u dont want to lose 2-3 sec thinking hmm what spell havent i casted now, just cause u disabled ur buttons, it can be a lifesafer just being able to see it.

    Some uis they are showing like 8 buttons of their 8 most used spells, do they really have the other 20+ spells bound , or do they have to hover over a hidden bar to click it, wouldnt be so good imo, losing time there also. This is all personal preference ofc

  11. #5271
    This is my edited version of qulight UI. I try to keep the UI minimalistic, informal but also aesthetic.

    Screenshot of my clean setup on my rogue (Idle).


    Screenshot of the setup on my DK, showing bar timers over the player frame (Combat).


    I still consider it a work in process, so please post ideas and feedback!
    Last edited by lawomous; 2012-02-26 at 10:38 PM.

  12. #5272
    Quote Originally Posted by Muncken87 View Post
    I have looked at some of the creators of many minimal uis and most of them are doing normals, and i havent seen many of them doing hardmodes, I agree that it takes time to get used playing with a minimal ui, if a minimal ui wouldnt hinder ppl why isnt that many ppl using them for higher progress, or are they just enough for normal modes.
    Probably because less people do hard modes, and out of the people actually doing hardmodes there are probably only a few who really care about minimal UI's.

    I mean, I hate around 90% of the UI's people use for normal raiding too. I doubt that when you play hard modes you suddenly need massive amounts of extra information anyway.

  13. #5273
    Okey, decided to make a new profile and completely re-do the design (Led++) style

    I finally figured out how to make the borders look good in stuf, just had to put some touches on them with kgpanel :P

    However, there is one thing I haven't figured out yet and that is how to trunctate or abbriviate the text so it doesn't overlap the frames.


    Idle




    Config Mode


  14. #5274
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Probably because less people do hard modes, and out of the people actually doing hardmodes there are probably only a few who really care about minimal UI's.

    I mean, I hate around 90% of the UI's people use for normal raiding too. I doubt that when you play hard modes you suddenly need massive amounts of extra information anyway.
    I dont think u need more information, i think u tend to get more, cant find the word, but u look more often at timers and when things are off cooldown.

    ---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 12:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtrax View Post
    Okey, decided to make a new profile and completely re-do the design (Led++) style

    I finally figured out how to make the borders look good in stuf, just had to put some touches on them with kgpanel :P

    However, there is one thing I haven't figured out yet and that is how to trunctate or abbriviate the text so it doesn't overlap the frames.


    Idle




    Config Mode


    I had the same problem with truncate in stuf, just make the width smaller on the text and it should work out, after u do that try target some random ppl with long names, and then short names and see if the text fits
    Last edited by Muncken87; 2012-02-27 at 11:32 AM.

  15. #5275
    I had the same problem with truncate in stuf, just make the width smaller on the text and it should work out, after u do that try target some random ppl with long names, and then short names and see if the text fits
    Oh yeah, you are right, totally forgot about that, I usually do it with the castbar *bonks self in the noggin', doh!*

  16. #5276
    Quote Originally Posted by turbe View Post
    Just ElvUI.
    Too lazy to post screenshots? Not that I wan't to see one of ElvUi, lord knows everyone sees it enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtrax View Post
    Okey, decided to make a new profile and completely re-do the design (Led++) style

    I finally figured out how to make the borders look good in stuf, just had to put some touches on them with kgpanel :P

    However, there is one thing I haven't figured out yet and that is how to trunctate or abbriviate the text so it doesn't overlap the frames.


    Idle




    Config Mode

    1. The timers on your buff icons up top can be bumped to the right a couple pixels.
    2. Im not in love with the totembar location
    3. Black borders on your upper and lower panels and your minimap are 2px instead of 1px
    4. When I used AzCastbar, I used only the bar part and disabled all the texts and then used the castbar texts from stuf to easily match the fontflags as AzCastbar has no fontflag in game for outline monochrome without a shadow. You could change it in the lua ofcourse if you want, but I found my cheat to be easier

    <3
    Ish

  17. #5277
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    1. The timers on your buff icons up top can be bumped to the right a couple pixels.
    2. Im not in love with the totembar location
    3. Black borders on your upper and lower panels and your minimap are 2px instead of 1px
    4. When I used AzCastbar, I used only the bar part and disabled all the texts and then used the castbar texts from stuf to easily match the fontflags as AzCastbar has no fontflag in game for outline monochrome without a shadow. You could change it in the lua ofcourse if you want, but I found my cheat to be easier

    <3
    Ish
    1. Updated!
    2. Yeah, stupid totem bar just making things awkward, needs to be fixed, probably just have it on mouseover or something :P
    3.Right you are, I'll get that fixed.
    4. Never thought about that, consider it done!
    5. Thanks for the feedback!
    6. Also changing the shadowoffset on unitframes text to 0 ^^
    Last edited by Speedtrax; 2012-02-27 at 02:34 PM.

  18. #5278
    Quote Originally Posted by drglenn View Post
    Remake I did of my favorite UI from TBC: Hal's UI
    original UI thread @ Hal's old guild: http://www.thepalsforlife.com/punbb/...ic.php?id=2928)

    clean:


    party:
    That looks real nice, sure would like to use it, have you uploaded a 4.3 version if it anyplace?

  19. #5279
    Herald of the Titans Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    2,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtrax View Post
    1. Updated!
    2. Yeah, stupid totem bar just making things awkward, needs to be fixed, probably just have it on mouseover or something :P
    3.Right you are, I'll get that fixed.
    4. Never thought about that, consider it done!
    5. Thanks for the feedback!
    6. Also changing the shadowoffset on unitframes text to 0 ^^
    Solution, play a different class

  20. #5280
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    132
    I got the lua file for azcastbar if u want outlinemonochrome

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •