Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    The first thing I thought was "Dam! That looks pretty cool!" Then I saw minimap buttons.. And action bars in the corners (different sizes/padding, amount of buttons and positions).. Seemingly a default Grid..

Anyways, what's the (...) in the middle?
    Uh, Minimap buttons cba to organize, it's really something REALLY REALLY minor for me lol. Also the action bars just personal preference, I like the way they're "organized" in the corner. Could make the padding/sizing neater but I'll do that at a later date and the only thing that is really out of place there is the stance bar + mount bar. It really just serves as a reference to what is bound to what.

The (...) in the middle means I'm out of combat, when I'm in combat it turns into a VS.

Also a little update. I made it when I'm in combat for a lightning sphere to orbit my health sphere, and when I target an elite a skull floats around the target sphere :>

I love weak auras.

Quote Originally Posted by Crummy View Post
    It's sort of a remix of a build Touchy/evn did a while back. I added focus dots on top of the castbar and changed some of the settings that wasn't working for MoP. Also, added a GCD bar to the castbar itself. So all creds to him for the dot/castbar
    Ideas? Tips?

Things to do: Decide wether I want my Health bars to match my Vuhdo, or if I want Vuhdo to match my healthbars.
    Also, find a place for CD trackers.
    Depending on CD trackers you mean for say Hymn etc. or trinket ICD have you thought about either a small actionbar underneath player frame? Small Auras there? NeedToKnow?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    What's done so far, think i should add a shadow to each frame like bOOURNS has?

http://i.imgur.com/LihtO4X.jpg
    Except for a shadow at the edge of your screen, shadows are overrated. Tbh it only looks good if you really use great art like Roth.

One of the first interfaces I made. I think that was with DUF.
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-11 at 10:59 PM.
    | Simple is beautiful.
    | Roth UI | Roth UI FAQ | GoogleCode | Zork | TDMOG

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Quote Originally Posted by zorker View Post
    DUF and Nurfed and CT Mod were what got me into UI stuff.

Classics!

I actually really like this! Haha
    I think the borders, textures and colours could be improved (in my eyes) but I like the layout :P
    Was thinking of re-making it with a different style but I hate having 2 chatboxes open so I'd probably make it worse XD

very neat ! mine always tend to be a mess, especially in vanilla.

another of you're older ones ... this one was amazing !

http://i27.tinypic.com/e9su8i.jpg

Not 100% done, but i like how it looks like atm.
    Last edited by Koenig; 2013-02-12 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
    Sharper borders make a sharper UI.

The whole point of a border is to graphically make it clear when an element ends.

If the element and its border doesn't create a decent contrast, then you may as well not have the borders.

These may work for your Unit Frames, which are relatively bleak; but they do not work for the very dark bottom panels.
    Last edited by Cowt; 2013-02-13 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koenig View Post

Not 100% done, but i like how it looks like atm.
    As the above user wrote, sort the borders out and it will look good.
    Now the unitframes looks "washed out".

I suggest not using any shadowing as well.
    In-fact...I don't even like the use of that particular texture on your health and power bars.
    The actual height of your bars is already so short that any shadowing inside the bar makes it appear even smaller.
    Add to that the overlay of the text, you don't get much visual representation of the bars.
    I would rethink the texture choice and go with something a bit more 1 dimensional.

Side notes: Remove the spacing for the debuff icons so that it mimics the buff auras and remove the shadow on your castbar text

<3
    Ish

I think people need to stop stating their opinion of personal taste as fact. If people want to use a different borders or shadows let them. Just because you prefer a more defined border or different textures doesn't mean it's crap and needs to change, it's their UI and they spent the time to make it, so it's obviously something they like and want it to look that way.

If everyone just did what someone else prefers then no UI would be unique and they all would look the same. I stopped posting because after a while of using people's suggestions things quickly turn into someone else's UI and not something I created and wanted.

Now I do support suggestions of placements and overall consistent look to a UI, but suggesting different textures or borders because your own taste is different is just plain stupid.

Are you trolling right now???

He ASKED people for their opinion...

I didn't tell him WHAT texture to use, I suggested he try a different type of texture in order to make the smaller health bars a bit more prominent.

I gave him a reason for every suggestion I made other than the side notes, and those don't need a reason b/c they are in reference to design consistency.

I don't think you're quite grasping the purpose of this thread.

Tree, sorry in advance for the derailment that is going to ensue.

<snip>
    I really like that.
    Keep it up I want to see the whole thing!
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-14 at 06:30 AM.

I figured if I'm showing my UI, might as well show off a few other things
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-14 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    In-fact...I don't even like the use of that particular texture on your health and power bars.
    Just to be contrary - that texture is what I think makes your bars 'pop'. It adds a depth to them that is missing in similar 'flat' textured bars. That said, I find that I LOVE a lot of things in screenshots, but once I try them in-game they just don't work out. Should you share these publicly someday, I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case!

I think you can make a strong case for simple things like borders or font choices being good or bad. The thing is: it doesn't matter. The game runs a slow enough pace that a UI that's "half as good" as ideal is still is efficient enough to do the job. You can be "sub optimal" in order to serve some aesthetic preference and it doesn't actually matter.

Think about it like qualifying for a race. You have to do one lap in at most 1 minute. If you're doing it in 30 seconds then you have plenty of time you can trade for "strutting" for the fans, taking it easy so you don't pull a muscle before the race, or just half assing because you're hungover from the per race party. So long as you can hit the qualify time it doesn't matter. Some people want to set a record qualify time, some want to look cool for the press. To each his/her own.

It's kinda funny to talk to "real nerds" with tweaked out Vim/zsh/etc setups. We can type at 120 words/minute, the editor is optimized to cut any action down to 5 keystrokes or less, but then we write maybe 5000 characters in an 8 hour work day. 95% of your day is waiting on compiles, tests, or thinking about what to do next. Just like wow-UI people super nerds like to justify it in terms of "more efficient" but really it's just fun to tinker and the gains are impossibly small or non existent. I'm guilty of it with my track bike (and I suspect everybody else that goes to secret street just likes to tinker and cant really tell the difference between an eigth turn of adjustment on their rear shocks too).

I wonder why we find it so hard to admit that this is just fun to play with and sometimes we do dumb things because we think it looks cool?

I recorded the first of a new UI series today: why my tank UI sucks and what we can learn from it. My new series will probably be a healing UI but I need to find a new guild to play with for 5.2 or it might end up crappy.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

A good designer wants an interface to be as functionally efficient as possible, regardless of what the minimal requirements are to "do the job" that the interface is created to do.

Some people are satisfied with mediocrity and having the mindset that something is just "good enough."
    I am not one of those people, I want something to be as good as it can be

As a side note, you have a nice voice for instructional videos :P

<3
    Ish

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    A good designer wants an interface to be as functionally efficient as possible, regardless of what the minimal requirements are to "do the job" that the interface is created to do.

Some people are satisfied with mediocrity and having the mindset that something is just "good enough."
    I am not one of those people, I want something to be as good as it can be

As a side note, you have a nice voice for instructional videos :P

<3
    Ish

You come off very.. Self righteous.
    If UIs were a religion you'd be the head preacher whose opinion is always correct.

OT: I believe regardless of textures it's not really anyones place to say they don't like their textures to the point of creating paragraphs as to why what they've chosen is wrong.
    Last edited by solvexx; 2013-02-14 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crummy View Post
    Also, added a GCD bar to the castbar itself. So all creds to him for the dot/castbar
    Ideas? Tips?

*edit* fixed the link

How did you do the GCD bar?