Thread: Post Your UI

  1. #10101
    TBH it's a lot i'm thinking about an "only text" UI, but actionbars are really good - immediate information with a glimpse of an eye.
    I agree.

    I think you could do something like "action bars made of text". For example consider powerline (a plugin for the vim text editor). Imagine if we made a font that had icons for major spells. Maybe one "box" glyph in the background, then one "skull" glyph on top of that, and finally a small pixel-font marker in under that with a 5-7 letter "name" -- something arranged to look sort of like a period table of elements…

    Someting as simple as setting foreground and background color (I realize wow doesn't do background color on text) lets you create interesting displays


    With a little effort I think you could make a really light-weight UI that looked good. Then again, wow's got a really crumby text renderer so it might be hard to get enough detail out of text to make it look good.

  2. #10102
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Upload please!
    What Ish said bout fonts, love it tho.
    Will this work on 1440x900?
    I dont have a supermassive monitor like you
    Afraid not, it's built for a 1920x1080 resolution=/

  3. #10103
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    Afraid not, it's built for a 1920x1080 resolution=/
    Ugh, Max Reso I can get upto is 1440x900
    Don't have the disposable income to get a bigger monitor right now /sadface
    Would you mind uploading anyway, I could play around with it to see if I can make it fit

  4. #10104
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Ugh, Max Reso I can get upto is 1440x900
    Don't have the disposable income to get a bigger monitor right now /sadface
    Would you mind uploading anyway, I could play around with it to see if I can make it fit
    You would have to redo the size of every KGPanel and everything else to get it to fit and there is around 55 kgpanels hehe;p

  5. #10105
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I agree.

    I think you could do something like "action bars made of text".
    There is an oUF layout that does exaclty that tbh, i looked at it bu as far as i remeber it's made through other means than lua code, so it's something that i'm not that good. Would like to try anyway.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 08:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    You would have to redo the size of every KGPanel and everything else to get it to fit and there is around 55 kgpanels hehe;p
    If you parent the panels to actual frames you won't need to adjust anything.

    Also, a correct anchors usage makes the ui usable on nearly any resolution - the issue is mostly to make it fit to smalle screens. That's why i made my frames draggabe^^ i play on my pc at 1680x1050 but also on my laptop at 1280x800.

  6. #10106


    What do you all think? good? bad?
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-17 at 07:59 PM.

  7. #10107
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Beautiful Terminal theme.
    I'm a mess of unfinished thoughts

  8. #10108
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    If you parent the panels to actual frames you won't need to adjust anything.
    But won't there be pixel errors on them when changing resulotion? I had to move every kgpanel to a certain position to make it pixel perfect, then move it to the frame and set the size i had at the pixel perfect position.

  9. #10109
    Working on a new layout on the PTR. I still don't really like it but I've got nothing else that even remotely looks better.



    Thoughts? Anything I could do better? And I'm trying to figure out where to place omen as I'm a tank so kinda need that. Thought about off beside the minimap, but that would be too far away from my field of vision I think =/.
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-18 at 07:01 PM.

  10. #10110
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    But won't there be pixel errors on them when changing resulotion? I had to move every kgpanel to a certain position to make it pixel perfect, then move it to the frame and set the size i had at the pixel perfect position.
    Some adjustment will be always needed. But in terms of fitting to lower resolutions you shouldn't have any problem.

    EDIT: parenting the panel to the frame will make it always connected to it and moving together with it and show/hide together with it. Anchoring it to the center of the frame and adjusting the size of it would solve most of the problems.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2013-02-18 at 03:56 PM.

  11. #10111
    Quote Originally Posted by Galm View Post

    Addons used
    Bartender4
    kgPanels
    Omen3
    OmniCC
    PallyPower
    Prat
    Recount
    Shadowed Unitframes
    WeakAuras

    Addons not visible on the picture
    Ardent Defender
    DBM
    gBags
    MSBT
    TidyPlates
    TipTac
    XLootGroup

    Edit: Sacred Shield and Inquisition are on top of each other on my WeakAuras, same goes for Hand spells. Grid would be on top of the chat windows.
    Would it be possible to get this uploaded somewhere?

  12. #10112
    Epic! Advent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Other Side.
    Posts
    1,590
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-19 at 10:06 AM.

  13. #10113
    Alright here's the deal..
    Im currently running this UI http://i.imgur.com/rYT6fhd.jpg
    It's basically an old version of Wullie's suit, with my own modifications. Nothing big, very very simple modifications..

    But I want something different done for my Unitframes, i.e player and target..
    I'd like something like a mix of these 3 styles.
    http://i.imgur.com/G801v.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/9CTTC.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/v3St5.jpg

    Kait's would be cool, but I dont need the balls.. So Something like those 3^^ but without balls and stuff like that, and with more better info on mana current/max..


    Is it possible to make that? What would I need?
    - I'm very unskilled with creating my own stuff.

  14. #10114
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    It's kinda funny to talk to "real nerds" with tweaked out Vim/zsh/etc setups.
    This from the guy that posts a vim-powerline screenshot a few posts later. Sorry sir, you fall into that group too

  15. #10115
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroomkin View Post
    Alright here's the deal..
    Im currently running this UI http://i.imgur.com/rYT6fhd.jpg
    It's basically an old version of Wullie's suit, with my own modifications. Nothing big, very very simple modifications..

    But I want something different done for my Unitframes, i.e player and target..
    I'd like something like a mix of these 3 styles.
    http://i.imgur.com/G801v.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/9CTTC.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/v3St5.jpg

    Kait's would be cool, but I dont need the balls.. So Something like those 3^^ but without balls and stuff like that, and with more better info on mana current/max..


    Is it possible to make that? What would I need?
    - I'm very unskilled with creating my own stuff.
    The last one looks like weakauras at the unitframes, here's a good guide on how to make weakauras 3d models.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-riKRGwd2s

  16. #10116
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    The last one looks like weakauras at the unitframes, here's a good guide on how to make weakauras 3d models.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-riKRGwd2s
    I believe they're all made with WeakAuras, but I dont know if theres more to it.

  17. #10117
    Looking for ideas for a new UI, need a project to work on!

  18. #10118

  19. #10119
    The second one was done with about about weak-auras -- everything you can see except for the portrait. For the portrait I'm 99% sure that was a custom little addon with three functions:
    • Draw a 3d model for target/target
    • target the player when left-clicked
    • show the normal menu when right clicked
    If it wasn't a completely one-off addon then it was KGPanels with a bit of lua -- which is effectively the same thing. In either case the vast majority was weak auras. The "render a 3d portrait for a unit" code cut/paste from either pitbull or stuf. So far as I know there aren't any "just draw a 3d portrait of this unit" addons but I haven't looked very hard either

    The second one does a lot of things really wrong - it looks pretty. It shows very well in a video too. If I were playing on a Mac and recording raids without a UI, I'd probably make something like that as a "fake UI" that I could superimpose for a kill video. to actually use it in combat is kinda rough. It was fine for like farming deathwing at 30% or facerolling 5-man content but it's really bad for doing something "hard".

    The cool stuff (like predicting effective health, highlights for crossing "phase change" HP percentages) can be done in anything. The layout that you see is pretty bloody bad and I'd encourage you to take as little from that as possible (even the pixel fonts are tasteless IMO). The tiny text/icons take too much mental effort to parse. I really need get that "why that ui sucks" thing posted so that nobody feels tempted to copy it.

    --- The first one was a combination of weak auras and (I think) pitbull. Weak auras provided the 3d fancyness for class/buff/debuff and then pitbull was the text/click target/etc. I recall that the font was Gotham edited to include small-caps because wow doesn't do advanced typography (kait is very clever when it comes to things like that).

    I think that approach is probably better for the typical person -- let an existing unit frame addon do the bulk of the lifting and then "enhance" it with weak aura. Trying to replace it wholesale is a difficult task. It's not obvious at first, but you're left to do a lot of work that is normally covered by your unit frames (like handling clicks, menus, entering/exiting vehicles, possessing mobs, etc). Without learning a fair bit about lua and how WoWAPI works it's probably not something you'd be able to pull off any other way. Maybe it'd be possible with RDX but I haven't played with that since like BWL was end-game and I doubt it would be any less learning if it still exists.

    This from the guy that posts a vim-powerline screenshot a few posts later. Sorry sir, you fall into that group too
    I don't use the term to be derogatory, I just mean to identify the "nerds among nerds". I like to imagine myself in that group but I suspect I'm probably not that clever. I admit to being one of those people with a tricked-out shell setup that was done to "maximize efficiency" while actually writing maybe 30 lines of good code per day. Truth is: it really is just fun to play with sometimes.
    Last edited by evn; 2013-02-19 at 03:51 AM.

  20. #10120
    All those animations look really badass if you idle but if you are raiding, there are so much effects that these animations are useless. Apart from this they have mostly no information. Rothar's UI is in MY oppinion the only UI which handle the animations well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •