Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Now, I'm not saying I don't use addons or that addons are the all bad. But I think very many people don't realize that addons usually hurt you more than help you unless you know what you're doing..
    I'd say there's merit to this, especially with the average skill level of WoW players. If you've ever been in an LFR, you'd be thankful for anything which could get some players to pay more attention to any aspect of the fight. It's especially bad when they've come to rely on addons so much that they're not actually watching the game but watching their addons. "Sorry guys, DBM didn't warn me to move out of the way!" Though it does have it's drawbacks.

Using an interface with inefficient information placement will get players to focus more on learning how to respond to the game in order to retrieve the information required for their response, so it's good for forcing their attention on where it should have been in the first place. In the end, however, it kind of takes away focus from learning how to respond to the game in order to improve their gameplay since the amount of focus we can apply isn't unlimited. Though players with enough desire to improve their gameplay are already focusing on the second. Sort of like Heroic progression raiders. They'll usually be running a number of UI addons (most notably a boss mod) so that their focus can be applied fully to responding to and learning the mechanics.
    Last edited by Nibelheim; 2013-04-06 at 08:40 PM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Idle interface.

Working interface.

Full out. (faded bars and cd's to track when they are on cd)
    uh/frost version.

I also track Dark Transformation with tmw now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vital View Post
    They aren't relevant, things like recount and threat meters only apply to pve, and even then they can be customised on their own, I don't like how you've got addons on top of addons on top of addons, horrible dependency chains which means if any addon in the chain breaks you are in trouble, I don't have to worry about that with my scripts because they will never break unless Blizz changes something fundamental.

Everything you said that is relevant (like the action bars thing) can be done with the default UI, scripts and macros. On my screen for example I only have visible important cooldowns that I need to know about at all times, damage abilities are off screen, why would I need an addon for something I can do even more efficiently with the default UI. Raid frames, the default blizz frames are excellent now and customisable, before that might have been valid but you don't need raid frame addons now. The default unit frames are fine too, all the stuff you mentioned you can do like health percentage, as you said you haven't played for years so to come in and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about is a bit of a piss take.
    Shall I say that my UI was made purely for PvE once more? You seem to think the game is about PvP, and because of that Addons are useless. How flawed that argument is, is beyond my imagination.

My addons don't get on top of addons on top of addons on top of addons. I've been in the UI department since Vanilla WoW and since then the Addon community has grown infinitely. The addons are better, the support is better, they function without having to have 15000 libraries for each addon etc. Also, why would I want to use scripts for my actionbars, when an Addon does the same, and a lot more? Afterall, the addon are basically scripts.

You say your screen only shows visible important cooldowns. When I look at the screen, I already see 2 bars with the exact same cooldows. I'm guessing this is because of paging but still, you show the exact same information twice in the exact same way. Any good actionbar addon would have fixed it. The placement isn't optimal either. Everytime you have to look at your sprint or kick CD, you have to get to the bottom of the screen, away from all the action (which is important in PvP, no?). Again, a good CD addon or Actionbar addon would show the exact same information in a better place. A place YOU, the interface USER, prefers.

You're saying your unit frames show as much as mine. This might be true, it's the way the information is shown and getting rid of the useless information. I don't need a gigantic Paladin icon to know I'm playing a Paladin. I don't need to know my maxhealth constantly, I dont need to know my name or that I'm rested or in a PvP territory. I don't want the missing health to be a transparent bar.

You've not shown why your fancy custom UI gives you any functional benefit or makes you a better player, whereas I've provided many arguments for why not relying on the crutch of addons or at least slowly weaning yourself off of them is a potential pathway to improving your skill level (especially in pvp).
    I seriously have no idea what you've been reading. I literally gave you a list with design benefits over the default. From placement, to color use, to showing relevant information and getting rid of useless information, to how our brain processes information, etc. You're arguments are boiled down too: "I don't agree, the default UI provides this information in a good way. I play PvP."

If you adapted to playing with the default UI for your PvP purposes, good for you, come tell us all if you want. If you want to tell us and in the meanwhile basically say that Addons are useless and make you worse, then just leave because it's obvious you don't know a whole lot about them. Do they always make you a batter player? No. Are they always used in a way to make you a better player? No. Does this have anything to do with addons themselves? No. For some, making UI's or tinkering with it IS the game. Blizzard provides you with a way to make it your own, and it probably has the largest community ever, using it. How being able to change and mold the information for specific uses i a bad thing, is beyond me.

They could be more efficient no doubt, but your argument is diluted somewhat by the fact many custom UIs seem to feature curiously prominent moving 3d character portraits and other abominations.
    You know what can make them more efficient? Oh I know, Addons. That so many people use em wrong in your opinino, does not mean they always get used wrong. Quite a important detail.

now can i grab a download link to your ui,
    thats a very well made ui
    I think you missed the part where I said I haven't played for years.

how the hell did you redirect raid warnings into SCT, MSBT, Parrot or xCT.
    If that is now what you've done in your shot there.
    If I'm not mistaken, it was part of DBM itself.

2. What you say is true about placement. But it also very often makes you think less. I'd argue that if you place your player frames in the normal corner spot, it will force you to think about boss mechanics, pay attention to them and understand the fight more so you can better know when to look up in the corner to check your health because you have to.
    How so? Boss mechanics are scripted events basically. I don't see how my placement makes me think less about what I'm doing, it just brings all the information about what is happening closer to me.

4. You don't need to show all action bars. And back to point 2. By having them a bit far away it forces you to think about how you want to use them and when.
    I use non actually so I constantly think about it. It's why I have the CD addon with the information I need. Having them at the very bottom just forces me to leave the area where everything is happening, in case of my UI also leave the area with the most vital part for a healadin.

5. Problem with Grid layout raid frames: In most setups you can only see one debuff at a time. That sucks for PvP. Blizzard raid frames have come a long way.
    Perhaps, but the improvement of default raid frames does not mean raid frame addons become worse. They still do what they're supposed to do. And since it's community made, they keep getting updated (well the popular ones do).

Now, I'm not saying I don't use addons or that addons are all bad. But I think very many people don't realize that addons usually hurt you more than help you unless you know what you're doing.
    That might be true, but that does not mean it improves people that know what to do. I can say without a doubt that my years of making UI's made me a better player. I would not have been healing my raid teh way I did with the default UI. That and I'm a sucker for design (an amateur sucker) and I wouldn't even been able to play the game for such a long time without the ability to change it's UI.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Shall I say that my UI was made purely for PvE once more? You seem to think the game is about PvP, and because of that Addons are useless. How flawed that argument is, is beyond my imagination.

My addons don't get on top of addons on top of addons on top of addons. I've been in the UI department since Vanilla WoW and since then the Addon community has grown infinitely. The addons are better, the support is better, they function without having to have 15000 libraries for each addon etc. Also, why would I want to use scripts for my actionbars, when an Addon does the same, and a lot more? Afterall, the addon are basically scripts.

You say your screen only shows visible important cooldowns. When I look at the screen, I already see 2 bars with the exact same cooldows. I'm guessing this is because of paging but still, you show the exact same information twice in the exact same way. Any good actionbar addon would have fixed it. The placement isn't optimal either. Everytime you have to look at your sprint or kick CD, you have to get to the bottom of the screen, away from all the action (which is important in PvP, no?). Again, a good CD addon or Actionbar addon would show the exact same information in a better place. A place YOU, the interface USER, prefers.

You're saying your unit frames show as much as mine. This might be true, it's the way the information is shown and getting rid of the useless information. I don't need a gigantic Paladin icon to know I'm playing a Paladin. I don't need to know my maxhealth constantly, I dont need to know my name or that I'm rested or in a PvP territory. I don't want the missing health to be a transparent bar.

I seriously have no idea what you've been reading. I literally gave you a list with design benefits over the default. From placement, to color use, to showing relevant information and getting rid of useless information, to how our brain processes information, etc. You're arguments are boiled down too: "I don't agree, the default UI provides this information in a good way. I play PvP."

If you adapted to playing with the default UI for your PvP purposes, good for you, come tell us all if you want. If you want to tell us and in the meanwhile basically say that Addons are useless and make you worse, then just leave because it's obvious you don't know a whole lot about them. Do they always make you a batter player? No. Are they always used in a way to make you a better player? No. Does this have anything to do with addons themselves? No. For some, making UI's or tinkering with it IS the game. Blizzard provides you with a way to make it your own, and it probably has the largest community ever, using it. How being able to change and mold the information for specific uses i a bad thing, is beyond me.

You know what can make them more efficient? Oh I know, Addons. That so many people use em wrong in your opinino, does not mean they always get used wrong. Quite a important detail.

I think you missed the part where I said I haven't played for years.

If I'm not mistaken, it was part of DBM itself.

How so? Boss mechanics are scripted events basically. I don't see how my placement makes me think less about what I'm doing, it just brings all the information about what is happening closer to me.

I use non actually so I constantly think about it. It's why I have the CD addon with the information I need. Having them at the very bottom just forces me to leave the area where everything is happening, in case of my UI also leave the area with the most vital part for a healadin.

Perhaps, but the improvement of default raid frames does not mean raid frame addons become worse. They still do what they're supposed to do. And since it's community made, they keep getting updated (well the popular ones do).

That might be true, but that does not mean it improves people that know what to do. I can say without a doubt that my years of making UI's made me a better player. I would not have been healing my raid teh way I did with the default UI. That and I'm a sucker for design (an amateur sucker) and I wouldn't even been able to play the game for such a long time without the ability to change it's UI.
    LED ,
    I love you,
    there is nothing you said that is incorrect in any way,
    i pve and pvp both to a Decent level 2200 Rated pvp and in hc progression for pve.
    Addons do not make my life easier than default,
    i just really hate default ui, having a 24" display on 1920x1080 blizzard has bars all over the place unit frames up the top some were stupid im having to look all over the screen instead of concentrating on the middle of my screen were the action is.

so what harm is there in basically moving things around, taking things away, and recolouring / texturing things,
    almost no addons need lib files any more, (gone are the days of having 20 + Ace lib files etc..
    if i so wish to redesign the ui as I FEEL FIT then il do that.
    this is exactly what led is saying at least i think so :P and i agree 100%

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post

By having unit frames and cooldowns at more comofrtable places, it can also make you lazy. You will maybe start to ignore some boss mechanics and just rely on your unit frame telling you if you are in danger or not. If you had it in the corner, you can't ignore the boss mechanics because you need to know when to check your health to see if you are in danger.

Cooldowns follow the same principle. By having them at the bottom, you need to know when to check for your cooldowns instead of relying on an addon telling you in your face that your spell is ready. This will often result in better cooldown usage because it forces you to know at what parts of the encounter you need your cooldowns and you checking them to see if they are about to be ready or not. It also forces you to get a better feeling of when a spell is about to come off cooldown. Additionally, you don't need to show all 50 buttons. You can hide most buttons on Blizzard action bars so only your cooldowns are showing.

But Grid is an example of an addon where many don't see the weakness of it. Yes, the addon does what it is supposed to do but many people forget what you have to sacrifice for it.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playing with the idea of having a cooldown bar with specific cooldowns for each spec as well as three 'main' cooldowns for each spec instead of having coolLine.

They're not aligned or spaced out properly it's just the initial position I thought about placing it. C&C welcome!

Higher Quality

Does anyone know of an addon that will redirect raid warnings to SCT, Parrot, xCT or MSBT? (or something like those)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    Playing with the idea of having a cooldown bar with specific cooldowns for each spec as well as three 'main' cooldowns for each spec instead of having coolLine.

They're not aligned or spaced out properly it's just the initial position I thought about placing it. C&C welcome!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/f2z6oShm.jpg[/ img]

Higher Quality
    Is the "RDY" tag necessary? You have it already indicating by being BW and having a CD display when it isn't available.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyflu View Post
    Is the "RDY" tag necessary? You have it already indicating by being BW and having a CD display when it isn't available.
    Probably not! That's just the default coding of rFilter that I haven't got round to changing. I do think it clutters it up a bit when there's so many that close together so I will be messing around with it.

I'm too much used with actionbars and omnicc that these icons look to me redundant. Anyway a great work, just doesn't fit my personal tastes.

And F*** arena frames, how the hell do you play PvPers? Too much things in a single place, but i'm having a lot of fun in working over them.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted

Still dont like the Chat Window :-(

Deleted
    Re-made Mine (Open for suggestions)

Normally all buttons would be filled So sorry :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    By having unit frames and cooldowns at more comofrtable places, it can also make you lazy. You will maybe start to ignore some boss mechanics and just rely on your unit frame telling you if you are in danger or not. If you had it in the corner, you can't ignore the boss mechanics because you need to know when to check your health to see if you are in danger.

Cooldowns follow the same principle. By having them at the bottom, you need to know when to check for your cooldowns instead of relying on an addon telling you in your face that your spell is ready. This will often result in better cooldown usage because it forces you to know at what parts of the encounter you need your cooldowns and you checking them to see if they are about to be ready or not. It also forces you to get a better feeling of when a spell is about to come off cooldown. Additionally, you don't need to show all 50 buttons. You can hide most buttons on Blizzard action bars so only your cooldowns are showing.

But Grid is an example of an addon where many don't see the weakness of it. Yes, the addon does what it is supposed to do but many people forget what you have to sacrifice for it.
    Getting lazy is a player problem though and not a design problem. People can also be lazy and forget to check on their health or cooldowns and suddenly notice they're dead or spell X and Y isn't off CD yet. A UI is made to work with the designer, simplify the information the game is giving you. Not to try and process this information and play for you.

Hell I basically hated the oldskool raid addons that literally told people where to stand with fancy textures and such, and welcomed Blizzards fix to disable them. I don't like a game playing itself, I do like the option of showing the information as I want so that I can process it in the most functional way.

About Grid, as said, I don't know what you can do with the default frames these days, but in my case Grid showed me everything I had to show. I don't feel I sacrificed anything for it.

C&C welcome!
    Looks good, though very healer unfriendly with that party frame position. And as others have said, it would look a lot cleaner if the RDY was gone, or atleast not in capital.

Oh and wouldn't class colored missing health on party frames benefit you more?

Quote Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/SFkbIyM.jpg

Still dont like the Chat Window :-(
    I think a good improvement to the chat window would be to add an outline to chat font and push the window out to match the spacing between chat window and edge of screen to that of your minimap, buffs and actionbars.

Other than that I would match your spacing between UI elements in general. Player-Pet, Target-Target-target, Action bar-Screen edge, Minimap-Screen edge and Chat window-Screen edge could all have equal spacing and Buffs-Minimap, Target-Target buffs could have the same spacing.

When one person makes these two statements:
    The standard Blizzard UI is quite horrible when it comes to positioning. It forces you to look at the top left corner to track health of your target, its buff and debuffs while you have to look at the bottom middle to track your own cooldowns and on top of that, the top right corner to track your own buffs and debuffs.

This can be made much easier. I recommend putting most of the things you want to track in the middle lower screen, a bit under your character. This allows you to track everything you want and still keep track of what is happening around you and by doing this you can dodge fire (the only thing you have to do in PvE).

By doing this you can actually focus more on doing your job properly instead of having to look everywhere on your screen.
    y. You will maybe start to ignore some boss mechanics and just rely on your unit frame telling you if you are in danger or not. If you had it in the corner, you can't ignore the boss mechanics because you need to know when to check your health to see if you are in danger.

Cooldowns follow the same principle. By having them at the bottom, you need to know when to check for your cooldowns instead of relying on an addon telling you in your face that your spell is ready. This will often result in better cooldown usage because it forces you to know at what parts of the encounter you need your cooldowns and you checking them to see if they are about to be ready or not. It also forces you to get a better feeling of when a spell is about to come off cooldown
    When I see someone make statements like this, I suspect they're either not arguing in good faith or they're confused about what their position is.

Do my debuffs go in a corner because I'll somehow be less likely to pay attention to my surroundings otherwise, or do they go under my character so that I can notice and react more quickly without "looking all over my screen"? Do I learn when it's safe to check cooldowns (presumably playing worse on new encounters than I otherwise would while I learn when those safe times are), or do I position them somewhere obvious and easy to check so that it's always safe to check (or better still, only have them alert me when they're ready?) at the risk of "being lazy" and using them less effectively?

Presumably only one of these two contradictory statements is false--or at least "more wrong" than the other--but it's unclear which advice I should listen to and which I should ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    When I see someone make statements like this, I suspect they're either not arguing in good faith or they're confused about what their position is.
    Confusing efficiency with laziness, and arguing against yourself? Welcome to the internet.

After I saw Tordenflesk's UI the other day, I was inspired! So that night when I went to bed, I started planning how I could re-create it for myself and get it as close as I could. Obviously I can't get his data/broker texts (?) So I had to just use SLDT, felt that was as close as I could get :P

So here I am looking for some C&C on this project, personally I think it's gone pretty well, but feel I could use some feedback, just to make it just a little bit better
    Anyway, enough talk!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtrax View Post
    After I saw Tordenflesk's UI the other day, I was inspired! So that night when I went to bed, I started planning how I could re-create it for myself and get it as close as I could. Obviously I can't get his data/broker texts (?) So I had to just use SLDT, felt that was as close as I could get :P

So here I am looking for some C&C on this project, personally I think it's gone pretty well, but feel I could use some feedback, just to make it just a little bit better
    Anyway, enough talk!

Looks beautiful, would love to get my hands on that interface

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/f2z6oSh.jpg/url]
    Looks like a dps layout to me. Healers should use the same frames for 5man as for raids. Why make a difference? Additionally healers need to keep the health bars in a way that they are still able to watch stuff under their feet without to much eye-juggling. Not sure about player and target frame too. You only need them when soloing. And no-one does solo in a heal-spec. Actually as a healer I would use the same layout for solo, party and raid.

Check out the Blood Legion kill videos. That monk healer has an awesome healing ui. If I were a healer I would copy that 1 on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedtrax
    Personally I don't like breaking the 6button rule. Any bar should have atleast 6 buttons imo. Makes it way easier to fit in 12/24/36 buttons aswell. Plus that FPS and mail info should be moved to the minimap. Having it in the center is pointless.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2013-04-08 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zorker View Post
    Check out the Blood Legion kill videos. That monk healer has an awesome healing ui. If I were a healer I would copy that 1 on 1.
    Been using Affinity's UI for a few weeks now with a few minor modifications. It really is awesome and on top of that super easy to install:
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ffinityUI.html