Thread: Post Your UI

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    Sigh.

If you are LOSING convenience and functionality when modifying your Ui, you're doing it wrong regardless of its a minimal Ui or not.
    This design mistake can be made just as easily when attempting to create a non-minimal Ui.
    Adding TOO MUCH into an interface also serves as a loss to convenience and functionality when you have to search through all the information your screen is throwing at you to find what you're looking for.

One person's needs are different than another person's needs for performance.
    If a DPSer can get away with showing just an enemy target plate, a cooldown addon, and DBM then they could potentially have only 3 elements showing on screen and still have everything they require to max dps and stay out of fire.

Throughout my many years of messing around with this game's Ui, I have found that (in general) people THINK they need WAY more information available to them at any given time than they actually do.

/rant
    I'm more worried about those that hide too much than those that hide too little. And from what I've seen throughout my many many years of making UIs, many minimalistic UI creators that are famous hide too much.

What exactly do these ui creators hide that you think they need to see?

God, this one is several years old now, but I think this is still the best type of UI I ever conjured up on my own...

I've always hated having a bunch of shit cluttered across the center of my screen, so I always obsessively try to avoid that. I think the cast bars and certain cooldown meters were to the right of the chat frame.

I've just started playing again after a long break, and I want to strive to create something similar. Perhaps with some improvements. First and foremost I would like to reduce the amount of action bars present on my screen. I'd like to display only my most frequently used ones that have cooldowns so I can monitor them. Other abilities with cooldowns I have to manage in some different way. I use CooldownToGo but it's not always practical having to try and cast something just to see how much time is left.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2013-08-28 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    Sigh.

If you are LOSING convenience and functionality when modifying your Ui, you're doing it wrong regardless of its a minimal Ui or not.
    This design mistake can be made just as easily when attempting to create a non-minimal Ui.
    Adding TOO MUCH into an interface also serves as a loss to convenience and functionality when you have to search through all the information your screen is throwing at you to find what you're looking for.

One person's needs are different than another person's needs for performance.
    If a DPSer can get away with showing just an enemy target plate, a cooldown addon, and DBM then they could potentially have only 3 elements showing on screen and still have everything they require to max dps and stay out of fire.

Throughout my many years of messing around with this game's Ui, I have found that (in general) people THINK they need WAY more information available to them at any given time than they actually do.

/rant

Have to agree, when i make my UIs yes i try to make them nice and fancie. but if somthing is pixel fonted its because to me its less important then somthing else. only thing i dont have pixel fonted is my chat window really as i read it alot. Everything else from buffs to unitframe hp numbers i dont care much for so its pixel fonted. everyone makes there UIs differently and to there own tastes.

and as you said there is little that needs to be seen at all in PvE these days. the room the boss is in, your timers and thats it. maybe some cooldown trackers but after years of a class you get use to when cooldowns are up so...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I'm more worried about those that hide too much than those that hide too little. And from what I've seen throughout my many many years of making UIs, many minimalistic UI creators that are famous hide too much.
    guilty of having done and sometimes doing it today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempeste View Post
    Tried to recreate Fuji UI but in my own way.

Out of combat healing self with focus set:
    -snip-

In combat on training dummy:
    -snip-

In 40 man raid (nameplates hadn't been fixed yet):
    -snip-

The raid frames look different for 10 man and parties, like Fuji UI did.

All I need to do is tweak DBM, fix the class color in my nameplates, and hide the Blizzard raid frame thing on the side. I think I am going to switch to a monochrome outline for the text possibly, but in game it looks a lot better than the screenshots show it, and possibly switch my chat and quest text.
    goddamnit man, this looks delicious. now i have to redo mine. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pHishr View Post
    guilty of having done and sometimes doing it today.
    such a baddie :P
    <3

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I could quite happily play with just nameplates, my own health bar and rFilter quite easily. It didn't effect my combat performance at all. It only made trading and inspecting an absolute pain. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Haxlax View Post
    Yeah, I would never lose that much convenience and functionality trying to make a minimalistic and eye-pleasing UI. But I guess it comes down to what kind of player you are. Casual players can probably get away with it, but hardcore raiders not so much.
    As a former hardcore raid I actually fiddled with the UI as much then as I do now.

It was, and always will be 1 of the more enjoyable aspects of the game for me.

It really depends on what you want/need/think. For some of us, it makes sense... while others it does not.

All I need to do is tweak DBM, fix the class color in my nameplates, and hide the Blizzard raid frame thing on the side. I think I am going to switch to a monochrome outline for the text possibly, but in game it looks a lot better than the screenshots show it, and possibly switch my chat and quest text.
    You should definitely upload your wtf/addon folders for me to use this

10+ Year Old Account
    Idle

In combat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    -snip-
    Elv whore. <3
    Not a massive fan of Target of Target frame, possibly a little too large but then again I've just got a more "convenient" placing for mine, I guess.

Did you actually bother fiddling about with the buff spacings? They do look a tad more compact and neater than traditional Elv.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Not only the minimalistic ones hide much.

@ Tempeste
    Well done remake.

@ Kaitain (about your mage UI)

I am in love with the talent window. Except of the fonts.
    Played too much Borderlands, I guess?

The UFs are fine, too.
    oh, honey.

/snip

/snip

/snip

White text on white background? Ouch, my eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
    Looks really good, but i dont understand how people can like Pixil Fonts like this :|
    Pixel* But nice to know I'm on your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Haxlax View Post
    Yeah, I would never lose that much convenience and functionality trying to make a minimalistic and eye-pleasing UI. But I guess it comes down to what kind of player you are. Casual players can probably get away with it, but hardcore raiders not so much.
    Actually I can read pixel fonts just as easily as any other font, and it doesn't hinder my raiding ability in the slightest. Just because you have a hard time reading it doesn't mean everyone else does too :\ I agree there is a fine line between a well-crafted minimal UI, and a UI with too much hidden, but if you are knowledgeable about what UI features you need on your screen, then it's not difficult to make a functional, minimalistic UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    @ Kaitain (about your mage UI)

I am in love with the talent window. Except of the fonts.
    Played too much Borderlands, I guess?

The UFs are fine, too.
    Thanks Lyn. I assume you mean the headline font (CoolDog it's called). Nobody could hate Helvetica and Gotham :-)

The original idea with using that font was to add some cartoony sort of flavour to go hand in hand with the ink splat motifs. On the target frame I think it works well, but on the talents panel I don't like it. I might just remove it from there. And ye the whole idea came from the superb UI in Borderlands 2. I played that game a lot after quitting raiding a few months ago, and I remember thinking that Blizzard's UI guys really haven't done a very inspiring job over the years (unlike their other art teams). I certainly wouldn't hire many of their UI designers anyways. Thank god for the UI community, or I'd have quit wow after TBC :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    Thanks Lyn. I assume you mean the headline font (CoolDog it's called). Nobody could hate Helvetica and Gotham :-)

The original idea with using that font was to add some cartoony sort of flavour to go hand in hand with the ink splat motifs. On the target frame I think it works well, but on the talents panel I don't like it. I might just remove it from there. And ye the whole idea came from the superb UI in Borderlands 2. I played that game a lot after quitting raiding a few months ago, and I remember thinking that Blizzard's UI guys really haven't done a very inspiring job over the years (unlike their other art teams). I certainly wouldn't hire many of their UI designers anyways. Thank god for the UI community, or I'd have quit wow after TBC :-)
    WTB Kaitain UI release Paying: all ze munnies.

Idle

In combat

Very nice.
    Quick question, how is that font called ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisu View Post
    Very nice.
    Quick question, how is that font called ?
    It's called Gotham Narrow Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    I'm getting close to finishing my new mage UI:

The main bit of sparklies around the big thing between player and target frames is dedicated to the bombs. I think the bombs adds a lot of aesthetic flavour to your talents so it's nice to have them really visible. The small circles above that are other rotation stuff (for fire it's heating up and pyro!, and for arcane it's missiles stacks, etc). And ofc on the arcane the big number is arcane stacks. Talents screen is just a version of my resto druid's UI setup.
    love the UI dude

quick question, how do you get the health bubble thingy to follow the healtbar? I imagine it's a kgpanel anchored to the healthbar, but I can't seem to figure out what the actual health bar frame is called so I can't acnhor to it Care to help a dude out?

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke View Post
    love the UI dude

quick question, how do you get the health bubble thingy to follow the healtbar? I imagine it's a kgpanel anchored to the healthbar, but I can't seem to figure out what the actual health bar frame is called so I can't acnhor to it Care to help a dude out?
    They replied somewhere that it is actually using WeakAuras, animating the aura to move between two points.

Deleted
    I would love to get a list of what addons you're using (and if you're using any attached files(?)). Would be so thankful