Thread: Post Your UI

When it comes to my UIs, I like a minimal feel without being completely minimalist if that makes any sense? I've been playing with my UIs since Vanilla back when Discord Unitframes were the shit (still probably better than ones now a days, but was a huge memory hog). I'm also a little traditional in how I make my UIs as well.

I like my horizontal cast bar. I like my simple rectangular health frames and raid frames. I make my UI to be clean, highly functional, as unobtrusive as possible, and overall show as much information as possible without screwing it all up. This is my UI:

Now some may look at that and say "lol elv ui" or some shit because it has some similar things. However, every single addon was downloaded with their default settings and I changed every single thing to my liking. I'm not saying this to get attention, I just hate when people assume it's made from something else because it kinda sorta looks similar.

I used to be big in the UI game during TBC and wrath. I eventually found a UI over years of tweaking that I like and I use it. It might not be "innovative" or "flashy" but it works, and I organized and customized it to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryas View Post
    When it comes to my UIs, I like a minimal feel without being completely minimalist if that makes any sense? I've been playing with my UIs since Vanilla back when Discord Unitframes were the shit (still probably better than ones now a days, but was a huge memory hog). I'm also a little traditional in how I make my UIs as well.

I like my horizontal cast bar. I like my simple rectangular health frames and raid frames. I make my UI to be clean, highly functional, as unobtrusive as possible, and overall show as much information as possible without screwing it all up. This is my UI:
    -image snipped-

Now some may look at that and say "lol elv ui" or some shit because it has some similar things. However, every single addon was downloaded with their default settings and I changed every single thing to my liking. I'm not saying this to get attention, I just hate when people assume it's made from something else because it kinda sorta looks similar.

I used to be big in the UI game during TBC and wrath. I eventually found a UI over years of tweaking that I like and I use it. It might not be "innovative" or "flashy" but it works, and I organized and customized it to my liking.
    I remember your UIs from back in TBC, and this is just as lovely. However regarding the discussion of late regarding ElvUI vs. 'normal addons' all I can say is; It's called a USER interface for a reason. If you're happy with something, you shouldn't change it because someone else doesn't like it, not everyone has the same taste, what works best for you might not be optimal for someone else. At the end of the day, ask for advice but make your own desicions, you aren't less worthy of posting just because you use ElvUI, or other addons for that matter. This is a place to share ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    Just found out people actually have different UIs for different characters. What
    I have my Hunter UI and a Healer UI. Then I have a mess of actionbars for other alts because I'm too lazy to make all the WeakAuras for them. Then I get mad and fed up with leveling my alts because the UI sucks but I don't want to put in the effort of "completing" their UIs.
    Omnipotent WCL || Omnipotent Site || Stream: 5-9pm PST Tues/Wed/Thurs || Worst Btag Ever: Slenderman#1355

My current Setup : imgur dot com/4nzqaxt

Comments and/or Criticism welcomed

Changed some things around in the last few days and I think ive got it to the point where its perfect for me. I'll probly change something again in a few days/week but that's just me :P I like change.

Also, like Birg said i use a completely different UI when i play my Resto Shaman (Hexxtra's UI). Some are just better then others for certain class/specs. And who gives a damn if everyone uses ElvUI? it's a fine UI and has almost everything you need to play. My 2cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    I have my Hunter UI and a Healer UI. Then I have a mess of actionbars for other alts because I'm too lazy to make all the WeakAuras for them. Then I get mad and fed up with leveling my alts because the UI sucks but I don't want to put in the effort of "completing" their UIs.
    Hahaha this happens to me all the time
    Starting a 1 day / week high quality raiding guild - more info here
    Resto shaman - Hexxtra - UI on Wowinterface
    Holy paladin - Kaytemoss - UI on Wowinterface

Just found out people actually have different UIs for different characters. What
    Looks wicked sick
    death shall have no dominion

Quote Originally Posted by Manu9 View Post
    This is mine, it's always a WIP.

http://postimg.org/image/u5fe2lbud/full/

Bars are:

Horizontal:
    A few colored bars under Energy like the one above for trinkets/Engi gloves, Xuen, and Chi Brew.
    White: Meta Gem.

Vertical:
    White: Guard CD/Duration.
    Yellow: Guard Absorb (When Guard is up), Amount will be on top for spacing with EB issue.
    Right Orange: Elusive Brew Stacks Duration and Stacks. A small Yellow Square above it for Healing Elixirs buff.
    Left Orange: Elusive Brew's actual buff.
    Purple: Shuffle.
    Pale Green: Tiger Palm's buff.
    Green: Stagger, Turns to Yellow and Red accordingly. - To Do: Put amount like Elusive Brew and Guard and get rid of the one above the Action Bars.
    --
    Red: Not a part of the group, but a bigger red one for HeroLustWrap. Next to the Character, Right of Elusive Brew.
    Squares on Top for Crit Banner, Pot. To Do: Add the Shammy totem, maybe something else.

Edit: I made a Xuen bar, so that Icon is removed.

Disclaimer: I always get ideas from UIs around here, and Weakauras, e.g. the Shuffle, Tiger, and Guard specifically are from around here a few months ago.
    Completely off-topic, but what the hell. This screenshot has two of my guildies in it! Lae, and Mycil.

Your UI looks great btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sertii View Post
    What should I do with the player and target unit frames? They feel wrong :/

imgur com/KrLoExQ

Also, nitpick to your hearts content
    Very interesting design question that pretty much any healer designing a pve oriented UI with centered raid frames faces
    I could go on for hours about it but here's a few thoughts, hope it helps!

Player unit frame
    1. Information - You actually don't need to display your player unit frame... at least not all of it. The only information that you need from there is your mana since your health will always be displayed on the raid frames anyway and you made the good decision of not polluting your raid frames with energy bars

2. Positioning - Placement is about prioritization. There's only a limited space around your raid frames with a lots of info that you probably want to display around there (Offensive and defensive CDs, cast bar, boss timers, procs, important buffs and debuffs etc.). I used to think that mana was a very important info to track at all times as a healer which is why I had it so close to my raid frames in many version of my paly UI (like below in Dragon Soul)

But I think I was wrong Mana is obviously important as a healer but a few glances here and there during a fight will usually be enough to get you through any kind of content. This is why I would recommend to put it at the bottom center of your interface (as I did on my latest healer UI). I found out though it was useful to add a sound or visual reminder of when I go under 45% mana to prevent going in mana burning mode without noticing.

3. Design - You can design your standalone mana bar several ways, whether it's by tweaking whatever unitframes addon you're using to display mana only, making a full custom one in weakauras or using vuhdo.

Target unit frame
    1. Information - As a healer, I don't think you need much information on your target unitframe really. It's obviously a matter of personal taste in the end but I found out that my target's name and it's health % was pretty much the only information I was processing during raid fights (cast bar, alternative energy bars etc. are usually displayed somewhere else).

2. Positioning - I would say it depends a lot on your healing style (and somewhat on your class).
    If you're using mouseover macros to take full advantage of the whole targeting/mouseovering playstyle (which I think is by far the best) you'll want to have you target info displayed close to your raid frames. If you're only using clique or vuhdo's mouseover, your target is actually quite irrelevant anyway so no need to clutter your raid frames with that info.

3. Design - Obviously depends on the info you'll decide to display in the end... What would fit your UI really well imo is the kind of text design Jhazrun has in its UI, which I copied shamelessly in my shaman UI

May all your heals be crits!
    P.S. sorry for the wall
    Starting a 1 day / week high quality raiding guild - more info here
    Resto shaman - Hexxtra - UI on Wowinterface
    Holy paladin - Kaytemoss - UI on Wowinterface

What do you think about my UI?

After having seen a few different setups from you I gotta ask: do you use these to raid??

I couldn't get my head wrapped arround such a hardcore minimalistic UI. No raidframes, very light colours etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I admire it for its beauty, but I could not imagine raiding at full efficency on this.

ArkInventory (not shown)
    Bartender4
    Carbonite
    Chatter
    MoveAnything (to put the unit mouseover tooltip to the left of the map)
    SexyMap
    Simple Holy Power
    Shadowed Unit Frames
    TidyPlates
    WeakAuras
    WIM (not shown)

I think that about covers it. I like simplicity and ease of access of information, and a lack of clutter.
    Last edited by Herradura; 2014-03-01 at 04:28 PM.

I make different UIs for each character. I think that's a fun way to experiment with new ideas without constantly changing the UI on my raiding main, which could be disruptive to my raid performance (well, I do constantly change my main's UI but only in subtle ways...my alt UIs tend to be completely different).
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Why do you need 2 raid frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippoo View Post
    After having seen a few different setups from you I gotta ask: do you use these to raid??

I couldn't get my head wrapped arround such a hardcore minimalistic UI. No raidframes, very light colours etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I admire it for its beauty, but I could not imagine raiding at full efficency on this.
    Yes, believe it or not but I actually raid hardcore with UIs like this so I always have to let functionality come first.
    Raidframes are only shown in a raid, and light colours are fine as long as they're complemented with a dark one.

Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    I make different UIs for each character. I think that's a fun way to experiment with new ideas without constantly changing the UI on my raiding main, which could be disruptive to my raid performance (well, I do constantly change my main's UI but only in subtle ways...my alt UIs tend to be completely different).
    Yeah, no idea why I haven't thought about it before.. trying to make 1 UI work for all classes limits so much creativity!

Yes, believe it or not but I actually raid hardcore with UIs like this so I always have to let functionality come first.
    Strangely, I think hardcore raiding has less to do with UIs than medium level or casual raiding. At hardcore level you've practiced your rotation into muscle memory, you've done the encounters so many times that you've learnt most of the cues you're responding to from the 3D world, or just remembering the timings. Your raid is communicating changes to the situation on Ventrilo/TeamSpeak. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    Strangely, I think hardcore raiding has less to do with UIs than medium level or casual raiding. At hardcore level you've practiced your rotation into muscle memory, you've done the encounters so many times that you've learnt most of the cues you're responding to from the 3D world, or just remembering the timings. Your raid is communicating changes to the situation on Ventrilo/TeamSpeak. etc.
    I wouldn't say anything is lesser than the other. If you (as a casual or hardcore raider) want to perform at your absolute best then a functional UI is a necessity.

I was mostly referring to the fact that hardcore raiding have less room for failure than say LFR. No intention to start a hardcore vs casual discussion

Might give it a shot.
    I'm just so used to my UI that when seeing some of the more artistic ones I am for one at awe, and on the other hand always wondering how it would feel in a raid.

I wouldn't say anything is lesser than the other. If you (as a casual or hardcore raider) want to perform at your absolute best then a functional UI is a necessity.

I was mostly referring to the fact that hardcore raiding have less room for failure than say LFR. No intention to start a hardcore vs casual discussion
    I thought the definition of functional was what was being discussed. My point is that you can train yourself out of needing certain UI elements. You practice to improve your performance, and the side effect is that you use/read certain UI elements less.
    Last edited by Kaitain; 2014-03-01 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    I thought the definition of functional was what was being discussed. My point is that you can train yourself out of needing certain UI elements. You practice to improve your performance, and the side effect is that you use/read certain UI elements less.
    I think the UI needs change, rather than become lessened. Practicing a rotation into muscle memory removes the need for, say, action bars but I find that the more hardcore the raiding you do, the more specific and specialized your UI needs become to coax out that tiny bit of extra DPS/HPS that doesn't much matter with more forgiving enrage timers or heal checks.

Personally, I think the difference between playing at the very highest level and playing at a so-so level comes down to research and UI, rather than something like quicker twitch reaction. Unlike a game like, say, Counterstrike (at least, so I imagine from what I've heard...I'm not a CS player), WoW is designed to mitigate against the need for amazing reaction time, both due to the GCD and due to how encounter mechanics work. Raiding is all about splitting your focus effectively and making decisions with up to a minute of a look-ahead...I believe that you best achieve that through practice and a very clear and focused UI, which takes some effort and either good design skill or else a lot of trial and error.

Of course, I also value aesthetics, which adds a complicating factor. Often, optimal functionality and the most attractive design are at odds and balancing the two (biased towards functionality) is a real challenge, IMO.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.