Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Good minimal UI's show the exact amount of info you need in a easy to process way. If you can't use the UI because it's "to minimal", then it's purely a design flaw. Has nothing to do with minimalism itself though.
    Might not even be a flaw with the UI since that is just the opinions or needs of one person.
    Bars vs Icons vs Timers as a very simple example in how the display of durations is very much a personal choice and something which no single UI can cater to really.

That is the reason why both NeedToKnow and TellMeWhen are both popular addons in their own right despite overlapping somewhat in features.
    One displays bars while the other displys icons with timers, and therefore will cater to different preferences.

And that is not taking into account the assumptions you make of what someone wants to or needs to know about.

This is one of my biggest arguements against flat-out recommending a premade UI such as a TukUI variant because it was made by a person who is not you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Might not even be a flaw with the UI since that is just the opinions or needs of one person.
    Bars vs Icons vs Timers as a very simple example in how the display of durations is very much a personal choice and something which no single UI can cater to really.

That is the reason why both NeedToKnow and TellMeWhen are both popular addons in their own right despite overlapping somewhat in features.
    One displays bars while the other displys icons with timers, and therefore will cater to different preferences.

And that is not taking into account the assumptions you make of what someone wants to or needs to know about.

This is one of my biggest arguements against flat-out recommending a premade UI such as a TukUI variant because it was made by a person who is not you.
    Yeah u work best with ur own things, aslong as u can perform 100% using ur ui, u might make its really pretty being very minimal, but u might perform worse just my cent.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muncken87 View Post
    maybe u need less things if ur a tank or a dps.
    I don't think it's down the the role, just the player themselves. Some people can work with the absolute minimum information whilst others need or like to have the information there.

http://i.imgur.com/vUc9O.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/8wzuL.jpg

Two minimal healing UIs that I made and used, the first being less so minimal.

Deleted
    Remake I did of my favorite UI from TBC: Hal's UI
    original UI thread @ Hal's old guild: http://www.thepalsforlife.com/punbb/...ic.php?id=2928)

clean:

party:
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2012-02-27 at 07:18 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    I don't think it's down the the role, just the player themselves. Some people can work with the absolute minimum information whilst others need or like to have the information there.

http://i.imgur.com/vUc9O.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/8wzuL.jpg

Two minimal healing UIs that I made and used, the first being less so minimal.
    I like both of them, im gonna have a try with lfr without any buttons at all, i have a habit of both looking at my buttons and cooldowns so i dont miss anything, since i most of my spells binded, i dont really have a use for my buttons, esp if u have a cooldown addon that hides the spell when its off cooldown, its can be abit annoying when its gone and u have to think what spell was missing now,

Aslong as the ui works for each person. i was thinking alot about the customisation lately ^^

I like both of them, im gonna have a try with lfr without any buttons at all, i have a habit of both looking at my buttons and cooldowns so i dont miss anything, since i most of my spells binded, i dont really have a use for my buttons, esp if u have a cooldown addon that hides the spell when its off cooldown, its can be abit annoying when its gone and u have to think what spell was missing now,

Aslong as the ui works for each person. i was thinking alot about the customisation lately ^^

I've been quite the same, had the habit of looking at my buttons for cd's etc, but now in my latest UI, the bars in the middle is not bound at all, they are simply there to see the cd of my major cd's

I find this is the best way to learn any new keybinds. I don't really need it on my shaman as I know the keybinds in and out, but on any new chars or alts even, I find it to be the best way to force myself to remember my keybinds.
    Last edited by Speedtrax; 2012-02-26 at 04:11 PM. Reason: fixing grammar...

I've been (and still am) a DPS'er, a Tank and a Healer on High End content through all my WoW carreer and I've always used minimalistic UI's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtrax View Post
    I've been quite the same, had the habit of looking at my buttons for cd's etc, but now in my latest UI, the bars in the middle is not bound at all, they are simply there to see the cd of my major cd's

I find this is the best way to learn any new keybinds. I don't really need it on my shaman as I know the keybinds in and out, but on any new chars or alts even, I find it to be the best way to force myself to remember my keybinds.
    I got 2 bars for my spells, 4 major cds there, but rest is almost utility, and then ontop of my healingframes i got 7-8 cds that i track also, even if i dont look at them always i tend to look at both those and my buttons, incase i miss something.

I tried a lfr without my bars at all, and just cooldown buttons and it feels abit empty, ofc it take time to get used to it, but if i cant do my best id just rather stick to my default setting.

I think its rather nice having cooldowns that dissapears and buttons that still show, cause at some point u will be stuck with all ur cooldowns used, and u dont want to lose 2-3 sec thinking hmm what spell havent i casted now, just cause u disabled ur buttons, it can be a lifesafer just being able to see it.

Some uis they are showing like 8 buttons of their 8 most used spells, do they really have the other 20+ spells bound , or do they have to hover over a hidden bar to click it, wouldnt be so good imo, losing time there also. This is all personal preference ofc

This is my edited version of qulight UI. I try to keep the UI minimalistic, informal but also aesthetic.

Screenshot of my clean setup on my rogue (Idle).

Screenshot of the setup on my DK, showing bar timers over the player frame (Combat).

I still consider it a work in process, so please post ideas and feedback!
    Last edited by lawomous; 2012-02-26 at 10:38 PM.

Deleted
    I have looked at some of the creators of many minimal uis and most of them are doing normals, and i havent seen many of them doing hardmodes, I agree that it takes time to get used playing with a minimal ui, if a minimal ui wouldnt hinder ppl why isnt that many ppl using them for higher progress, or are they just enough for normal modes.
    Probably because less people do hard modes, and out of the people actually doing hardmodes there are probably only a few who really care about minimal UI's.

I mean, I hate around 90% of the UI's people use for normal raiding too. I doubt that when you play hard modes you suddenly need massive amounts of extra information anyway.

Okey, decided to make a new profile and completely re-do the design (Led++) style

I finally figured out how to make the borders look good in stuf, just had to put some touches on them with kgpanel :P

However, there is one thing I haven't figured out yet and that is how to trunctate or abbriviate the text so it doesn't overlap the frames.

Idle

Config Mode

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Probably because less people do hard modes, and out of the people actually doing hardmodes there are probably only a few who really care about minimal UI's.

I mean, I hate around 90% of the UI's people use for normal raiding too. I doubt that when you play hard modes you suddenly need massive amounts of extra information anyway.
    I dont think u need more information, i think u tend to get more, cant find the word, but u look more often at timers and when things are off cooldown.

---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 12:31 PM ----------

Okey, decided to make a new profile and completely re-do the design (Led++) style

I finally figured out how to make the borders look good in stuf, just had to put some touches on them with kgpanel :P

However, there is one thing I haven't figured out yet and that is how to trunctate or abbriviate the text so it doesn't overlap the frames.

Idle

Config Mode

I had the same problem with truncate in stuf, just make the width smaller on the text and it should work out, after u do that try target some random ppl with long names, and then short names and see if the text fits
    Last edited by mmoc2569500d57; 2012-02-27 at 11:32 AM.

I had the same problem with truncate in stuf, just make the width smaller on the text and it should work out, after u do that try target some random ppl with long names, and then short names and see if the text fits
    Oh yeah, you are right, totally forgot about that, I usually do it with the castbar *bonks self in the noggin', doh!*

Quote Originally Posted by turbe View Post
    Just ElvUI.
    Too lazy to post screenshots? Not that I wan't to see one of ElvUi, lord knows everyone sees it enough.

Idle

Config Mode

1. The timers on your buff icons up top can be bumped to the right a couple pixels.
    2. Im not in love with the totembar location
    3. Black borders on your upper and lower panels and your minimap are 2px instead of 1px
    4. When I used AzCastbar, I used only the bar part and disabled all the texts and then used the castbar texts from stuf to easily match the fontflags as AzCastbar has no fontflag in game for outline monochrome without a shadow. You could change it in the lua ofcourse if you want, but I found my cheat to be easier

<3
    Ish

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    1. The timers on your buff icons up top can be bumped to the right a couple pixels.
    2. Im not in love with the totembar location
    3. Black borders on your upper and lower panels and your minimap are 2px instead of 1px
    4. When I used AzCastbar, I used only the bar part and disabled all the texts and then used the castbar texts from stuf to easily match the fontflags as AzCastbar has no fontflag in game for outline monochrome without a shadow. You could change it in the lua ofcourse if you want, but I found my cheat to be easier

<3
    Ish
    1. Updated!
    2. Yeah, stupid totem bar just making things awkward, needs to be fixed, probably just have it on mouseover or something :P
    3.Right you are, I'll get that fixed.
    4. Never thought about that, consider it done!
    5. Thanks for the feedback!
    6. Also changing the shadowoffset on unitframes text to 0 ^^
    Last edited by Speedtrax; 2012-02-27 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drglenn View Post
    Remake I did of my favorite UI from TBC: Hal's UI
    original UI thread @ Hal's old guild: http://www.thepalsforlife.com/punbb/...ic.php?id=2928)

clean:

party:
    That looks real nice, sure would like to use it, have you uploaded a 4.3 version if it anyplace?

Deleted
    1. Updated!
    2. Yeah, stupid totem bar just making things awkward, needs to be fixed, probably just have it on mouseover or something :P
    3.Right you are, I'll get that fixed.
    4. Never thought about that, consider it done!
    5. Thanks for the feedback!
    6. Also changing the shadowoffset on unitframes text to 0 ^^
    Solution, play a different class

Deleted
    I got the lua file for azcastbar if u want outlinemonochrome

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Solution, play a different class

That's not really a solution. Its a suggestion, and a bad one at that. Shamans are the best! :P

Keeping this on topic, an old screenshot:

I miss my legendary mace bubbles

Anyway! I think I'm going to make a new Ui with 4px wide borders instead of 3px wide borders (like the borders in the ss above) and maybe use some class color paneling for the borders instead of gray.

And use a much simpler layout, perhaps one closer to this:

<3
    Ish
    Last edited by Ishtara; 2012-02-27 at 06:38 PM.

Still very much so a work in progress but always up for some constructive criticism.
    http://i.imgur.com/ATH9p.jpg