Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuo View Post
    Running out of colors for my WeakAuras!
    I've used unlabelled, coloured weakAuras bars for years now and my method for choosing colours has always been to try to as close as possible match the dominant colour of the ability's icon. That way you can use colours that are similar-ish and have it remain fairly intuitive (you'll notice Blizzard does try to have icons for each class have varied ish colours, a concept other MMO interface designers seem to miss. Look at the icons in Forge f.e.)

Another helpful thing to do is have the group be a normal static group, not a dynamic one. That way the each bar is always in exactly the same place, and "reading" them is a little bit faster/easier (which afaik is a definite cognition/interface principle: "where it is is what it is"). I know sometimes that leads to gaps between the bars, but more often than not you'll have most of the bars always up anyways (for rotational things anyways).
    Last edited by Kaitain; 2014-01-15 at 12:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lasair View Post
    I'm squeaking closer to what I want for my ui, and I'm finding I really enjoy (almost) getting exactly what I want with WeakAuras. I've gotten most of my buffs up on my hunter and am almost ready to record a vid of everything in action. Which brings me to a question: What do y'all use to record your ui's in action? I used to use fraps but that was a couple of years ago and I'm wondering if it's still champ- or if there's some new program that works better.
    Open Broadcaster Software is a free and open-source alternative that works well for recording and streaming. It doesn't produce lossless video like Fraps does, but videos don't stay lossless through encoding and YouTube's processing anyway. I recorded this with OBS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShade View Post
    Hey guys. Made a few tweaks here and there and decided to share the results. This is a ElvUI setup with a side of WeakAuras.

Many people have asked me about where can they get my UI. It is not for download quite yet. However I do plan on sharing my WeakAura strings. It has just taken me a bit of time to get all my WeakAura strings up on Pastebin.

Hope you all enjoy. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
    [snip]
    This is quite probably the most epic UI I have EVER seen.

I can't wait for the complete UI upload...
    "Mages are basically Warlocks for Girls." - Unknown

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taralack View Post
    What mod is it that creates a "weekly checklist" for you? Would be helpful for my weekly mount farming.
    Was just thinking the same myself, a quick search has yielded an addon called.. wait for it... 'Daily Checklist'

Certinaly looks like the one he's using, going to grab it and incorporate it into my ui now!

As far as my ui is coming along, almost there, but still not happy with the buff/debuff bars i've created in weakauras, tempted to move to just having icons instead, might look a little cleaner.

Deleted
    nvm, Pwna was faster ;(

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    I've used unlabelled, coloured weakAuras bars for years now and my method for choosing colours has always been to try to as close as possible match the dominant colour of the ability's icon. That way you can use colours that are similar-ish and have it remain fairly intuitive (you'll notice Blizzard does try to have icons for each class have varied ish colours, a concept other MMO interface designers seem to miss. Look at the icons in Forge f.e.)

Another helpful thing to do is have the group be a normal static group, not a dynamic one. That way the each bar is always in exactly the same place, and "reading" them is a little bit faster/easier (which afaik is a definite cognition/interface principle: "where it is is what it is"). I know sometimes that leads to gaps between the bars, but more often than not you'll have most of the bars always up anyways (for rotational things anyways).
    It was actually your Boomkin UI from Cataclysm that inspired me when I shamelessly stole it for latest alt. I'll try using the icon's dominant color and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Taralack View Post
    What mod is it that creates a "weekly checklist" for you? Would be helpful for my weekly mount farming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus Rex View Post
    Was just thinking the same myself, a quick search has yielded an addon called.. wait for it... 'Daily Checklist'

Certinaly looks like the one he's using, going to grab it and incorporate it into my ui now!

As far as my ui is coming along, almost there, but still not happy with the buff/debuff bars i've created in weakauras, tempted to move to just having icons instead, might look a little cleaner.
    It's an editted version of Daily Checklist, yes. I've mostly just added class coloring and the ability to change the font of the header and list items. I actually started using it because of my mount farming aswell.

WIP.

Minimap and buff icons are the same as all my other layouts, because I am lazy and unimaginative. Would also really love suggestions for better looking nameplate mods without compromising the functionality I'm getting from Threatplates, I don't know if something like that exists?

I'm a bit stuck now on the layout textures/boxes, as you can see they're a bit meh at the moment. Some feedback would be great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lasair View Post

I've also a question on WeakAuras, is there a way to make the progress bar or background class colored?
    You can do either but there is no check box or option to automatically set it to your class color. I'd install Color Picker Plus and just copy/paste the color you want from some place that has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Constie View Post
    Open Broadcaster Software is a free and open-source alternative that works well for recording and streaming. It doesn't produce lossless video like Fraps does, but videos don't stay lossless through encoding and YouTube's processing anyway. I recorded *snip* with OBS.
    I'll definitely check this out, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by tempest420 View Post
    You can do either but there is no check box or option to automatically set it to your class color. I'd install Color Picker Plus and just copy/paste the color you want from some place that has it.
    I've already got Color Picker, it came bundled with RealUI. I guess I was hoping that there'd be a dynamic way to have the bars class colored so that I wouldn't have to make additional frames per character. I suppose this'll give me a chance to just say the hell with it and pick out an arbitrary color pallet to preserve my lazyness.

@ Taralack

Threatplates has a lot of customization options if you are unsatisfied with the way they look. I would change the bar texture to whatever you are using for unitframes, damage meter, aura bars etc. You could also scale down and change the fonts so that they are more consistent with the rest of the fonts you are using. Lastly, I get rid of a lot of useless information like the level text and the skull icon. You can also do without the silly spiky textures on the ends of the nameplate. If you decide to switch, I check out Kui Nameplates.

Here's some general feedback. A lot of this is based off personal preference so take it from it what you will.

1 - Your UI lacks consistency. Fonts, for instance, are all over the place. Datatext and unitframes are a pixel font, your chat is one sans serif font, the combat text is another font and the nameplates are a 3rd font. I'd pick 1. On a similar note, your buff icons, action bars and minimap have one kind of border but your kgpanels, unitframes and nameplates are all different.

2 - I would use either the scrolling or the floating combat text. If you end up choosing the sct, I would streamline the outputs a little; things like replacing the ability name with an icon, setting a damage threshold so that tiny numbers like your ghoul damage don't register or getting rid of the all the names in the incoming heals frame. I'd also get rid of the frame that is showing your rp gain.

3 - If you want to make some space, you could try swapping from aura bars to icons. If the bars are something you are really comfortable with though, I wouldn't bother.

4 - I would change your mostly transparent action bars on the right to be only visible on mouseover. I'd also move them below the kgpanel if they only contain things like profession shortcuts and hearthstone (things that aren't relevant to tanking or combat in general).

5 - Tiny nitpicky things:
    - I'd lose the minimap icons.
    - The text on the target frame is overlapping.
    - If you don't typically have something sitting on top of the damage meter, I would move it up a few notches so it's not sitting 2/3s of the way down that panel. I assume you usually have a threat meter there.

This has been the current UI I've been using since I started with a new account a couple weeks ago.

OOC:

In Combat:
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2014-01-16 at 11:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NGRazor
    If Russia suddenly put Satan in charge of their nukes and then they sent hellfire down on the Untied States, don't you think the U.S. would be pretty damn pissed when Russia said "well, we didn't know Satan would betray us."

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here we go!

This is a healing shot, usually the raid frames are in the top left corner. I have an if statement that moves the raid frames when I'm on my shaman for healing.

I don't know where to put skada. It's directly under my 'party' frames when in a party.
    I need to sort out my WAs for a lot of classes/specializations.
    DBM needs to be given a home, as does my weapon buff icon under the minimap.
    Frame width needs to be re-done to match up the size of buffs/debuffs on target/tot/player.
    I want the square role icon .blp if anybody has it! It'll fit in the frames better than standard icons. (Pleeeeaaase, if someone has it send it to mee! I had it before I stopped playing but lost it.)

Imgur quality sucks. So here's a better upload.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    Here we go!

I want the square role icon .blp if anybody has it! It'll fit in the frames better than standard icons. (Pleeeeaaase, if someone has it send it to mee! I had it before I stopped playing but lost it.)
    I THINK I have one, Care. I'll go check...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do my fonts just looks like ass.

http://cl.ly/image/013s0t3t1p2M/Scre...2017.04.02.png

Oh and has anyone had any problems before with monochrome crashing WoW?

EDIT: Looks like monochrome outline stopped crashing and fixed the blurriness.
    Last edited by iuris; 2014-01-17 at 05:17 PM.

@ care

Love the colors, texture, font, etc.

L.O.V.E. that you turned off portraits. :P

All the ui elements look like they are just kinda floating around the screen though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iuris View Post
    Why do my fonts just looks like ass.

http://cl.ly/image/013s0t3t1p2M/Scre...2017.04.02.png

Oh and has anyone had any problems before with monochrome crashing WoW?

EDIT: Looks like monochrome outline stopped crashing and fixed the blurriness.
    Picking Monochrome as your outline will only crash WoW if the font you are setting as Monochrome doesn't support it (ie, it isn't a bitmap/pixel font).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    Picking Monochrome as your outline will only crash WoW if the font you are setting as Monochrome doesn't support it (ie, it isn't a bitmap/pixel font).
    Weird, after it crashed I never changed font it just worked. Perhaps just a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    Here we go!

This is a healing shot, usually the raid frames are in the top left corner. I have an if statement that moves the raid frames when I'm on my shaman for healing.

I don't know where to put skada. It's directly under my 'party' frames when in a party.
    I need to sort out my WAs for a lot of classes/specializations.
    DBM needs to be given a home, as does my weapon buff icon under the minimap.
    Frame width needs to be re-done to match up the size of buffs/debuffs on target/tot/player.

Imgur quality sucks. <snip>

<snip>
    This was so lovely im picking it for my healing alts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Just picked up a new alt heading into the next expansion and thought I'd try my hand out as Restoration. This is my UI plugging ideas from lots of other UI's whilst also trying to keep the addons to a minimum. Anyone suggest any improvements? All criticism I'll take constructively.

Disclaimer: Quality of the screenshots is unusually low for Imageshack, not sure why.

Most recent picture:

Older one but with full Weak Auras showing:

Last edited by Daniie; 2014-01-17 at 10:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    All the ui elements look like they are just kinda floating around the screen though
    This is what I told him aswell, the boss frames, DBM and damage meter are all just randomly placed where they won't be in the way because they're not vital info, but there are more logical and pretty places to put all these elements.

Not enough love for that font of his, it's gorgeous and I've never seen it used in all my years active in the community.