Thread: Post Your UI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    Most of the ones you have do have a fair amount of customization, yes.

Your skada, for example: you can change the background color, texture and opacity - or remove it completely. You can keep the bars or remove them and go with a text-based look. You can have class colored text or not. You can change the height of the bars, you can change the font, you can remove elements from the title bar, etc.

I'm not sure what unit frames you're using - pitbull? stuf? shadowed? - but they provide a ton of options for customization. Especially stuf - that's what I use. Here are some examples of how much you can customize and make something more visually appealing to you:

Those are just a couple old shots of various unit frames, all using stuf.

I love the game but I think I love making UIs even more happy designing!
    Thanks for the tips

I'm using Shadowed Unit Frames at present

Whats the popularist chat addon? I currently use prat, assumed they are all in and around the same, but if something is better and or more efficent, holla

Quote Originally Posted by Xintic View Post
    ElvUI + TellMeWhen with Masque Clean Icons: Thin
    Thanks! Are you able to get the CD text to show by using the ElvUI options? It's only showing the spiral for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snichy View Post
    I see plenty of people who claim there is a lot of hate for ElvUI, but rarely see any of the actual "hate"! I dont hate it (much), but what I do hate is people claiming they have a unique custom UI built and designed from scratch, when all they have done is move a few things around in ElvUI. I spend hours designing, changing and implementing my UI and I dont claim to be particularly good at it, but I do take it seriously and love doing it and whilst I respect ElvUI and all it can do, its not the answer to everyone problems and I dont really like the way it looks which cant really be changed no matter how much you amend its settings - call me snobby but I could never use it as it would feel like cheating, like claiming I am an artist when all I have done is use tracing paper over someone elses work (I realise the irony of this statement as I myself am using addons made by other people!)

Yes, its handy that patch days are easier on the UI using ElvUI, but updating and evolving your UI based on new addons and updates is all part of the fun. ElvUI is perfect for people who just want a new UI with a few options for customisation, but Im willing to guess that people like me like the feeling that my UI is unique and designed from the bottom up myself.
    It's bad idea to judge a tool by the user. Just because people tend to be satisfied with baseline Elv and choose not to modify it doesn't mean that Elv isn't a powerful tool. As I mentioned previously Birg's UI could be remade in ElvUI pretty simply. After looking at Kait's UI a very good portion of it could be redone in Elv as well (but it would require external addons for specific parts). Judging by your post I had assumed that you may have made some UIs along the lines of Kait as well, but when I went back and looked at your UIs I realized that they can all be redone in Elv as well. I'm not saying all of these amazing UIs would be quick or easy, or that their wouldn't be BETTER ways of doing it, but hating on Elv because it requires a little bit of extra work to do something it's not designed baseline to do is like hating on Weak Auras for not having a function built in which forced you to make a custom trigger/function. It's not the tool that's broken, nor is it the framework. It's the user.

As a whole Elv UI has drastically improved the ease of making a UI and positioning your various UI elements in a readable fashion for the vast majority of the player base who don't have the time nor the patience to bother configuring their 30 addons over the course of 8-16+ hours just for them to break again with the next biggest patch. It does this job insanely well, and it rarely breaks because it's development and service team are amazing. It's also one of the few addons usable which enables you to make various facets of your UI match, which is a huge part of why I use it (plus it looks better than Aurora imo).

Deleted
    What should I do with the player and target unit frames? They feel wrong :/

imgur com/KrLoExQ

Also, nitpick to your hearts content

Just found out people actually have different UIs for different characters. What

Quote Originally Posted by Sertii View Post
    What should I do with the player and target unit frames?
    Since you're using grid you have your playerframe there already so (in a raid) a playerframe is not really necessary. Target frame could then go above grid to the left perhaps?

Also if you usually play that zoomed out then the names above the units are pretty pointless since you can't make out the text from that distance. Try nameplates instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Snichy View Post
    I see plenty of people who claim there is a lot of hate for ElvUI, but rarely see any of the actual "hate"! I dont hate it (much), but what I do hate is people claiming they have a unique custom UI built and designed from scratch, when all they have done is move a few things around in ElvUI. I spend hours designing, changing and implementing my UI and I dont claim to be particularly good at it, but I do take it seriously and love doing it and whilst I respect ElvUI and all it can do, its not the answer to everyone problems and I dont really like the way it looks which cant really be changed no matter how much you amend its settings - call me snobby but I could never use it as it would feel like cheating, like claiming I am an artist when all I have done is use tracing paper over someone elses work (I realise the irony of this statement as I myself am using addons made by other people!)

Yes, its handy that patch days are easier on the UI using ElvUI, but updating and evolving your UI based on new addons and updates is all part of the fun. ElvUI is perfect for people who just want a new UI with a few options for customisation, but Im willing to guess that people like me like the feeling that my UI is unique and designed from the bottom up myself.
    Strictly speaking on the designing aspect:

I sorta agree with Snichy. I get excited every time I see a new post with the title "Check out my UI ". That's my chance to learn from the community and get inspired. However that rarely happens because 8 out of 10 times it's the same health bar , the same rectangular raid frames. Maybe the texture is different this time, maybe the font is something other than pixel fonts or maybe they're placed in an interesting location. But over all, it's still the same boring health bar, same horizontal cast bar...This happens because most people use the same tool ( in this case, I guess it's ElvUI) to relocate each UI elements :P.

Still, I don't see anything wrong with using ElvUI as a base and build on it. Not all of us are coders or have the time/interest in learning LUA. As for me, I do write a small portions of my UI layout. However, I do not ever ever want to "reinvent the wheel". If I see an add-on out there that does exactly what I want, I will start using that add-on right away. I tend to stay away from using add-on that offers too much options like weakAuras, STUF, Raven.... It's not that I dont want to learn but rather I hardly use 10% of its capabilities.

I always use the same add-on(s) written by Haleth and Zork as a base of my UI. Things like action bars, mini map, chat, buffs aren't likely going to change much with every patch updates. And these author's codes are so well-written; they're easy to read/understand and modified to reflect changes within the current patch. My unit frames are oUF (<--shameless plug).

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to my UIs, I like a minimal feel without being completely minimalist if that makes any sense? I've been playing with my UIs since Vanilla back when Discord Unitframes were the shit (still probably better than ones now a days, but was a huge memory hog). I'm also a little traditional in how I make my UIs as well.

I like my horizontal cast bar. I like my simple rectangular health frames and raid frames. I make my UI to be clean, highly functional, as unobtrusive as possible, and overall show as much information as possible without screwing it all up. This is my UI:

Now some may look at that and say "lol elv ui" or some shit because it has some similar things. However, every single addon was downloaded with their default settings and I changed every single thing to my liking. I'm not saying this to get attention, I just hate when people assume it's made from something else because it kinda sorta looks similar.

I used to be big in the UI game during TBC and wrath. I eventually found a UI over years of tweaking that I like and I use it. It might not be "innovative" or "flashy" but it works, and I organized and customized it to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    Just found out people actually have different UIs for different characters. What
    I have my Hunter UI and a Healer UI. Then I have a mess of actionbars for other alts because I'm too lazy to make all the WeakAuras for them. Then I get mad and fed up with leveling my alts because the UI sucks but I don't want to put in the effort of "completing" their UIs.

My current Setup : imgur dot com/4nzqaxt

Comments and/or Criticism welcomed

Changed some things around in the last few days and I think ive got it to the point where its perfect for me. I'll probly change something again in a few days/week but that's just me :P I like change.

Also, like Birg said i use a completely different UI when i play my Resto Shaman (Hexxtra's UI). Some are just better then others for certain class/specs. And who gives a damn if everyone uses ElvUI? it's a fine UI and has almost everything you need to play. My 2cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    I have my Hunter UI and a Healer UI. Then I have a mess of actionbars for other alts because I'm too lazy to make all the WeakAuras for them. Then I get mad and fed up with leveling my alts because the UI sucks but I don't want to put in the effort of "completing" their UIs.
    Hahaha this happens to me all the time
    MW Monk - Bilgamesh
    Resto shaman - Hexxtra - UI on Wowinterface
    Holy paladin - Kaytemoss - UI on Wowinterface

Deleted
    Looks wicked sick

Quote Originally Posted by Manu9 View Post
    This is mine, it's always a WIP.

http://postimg.org/image/u5fe2lbud/full/

Bars are:

Horizontal:
    A few colored bars under Energy like the one above for trinkets/Engi gloves, Xuen, and Chi Brew.
    White: Meta Gem.

Vertical:
    White: Guard CD/Duration.
    Yellow: Guard Absorb (When Guard is up), Amount will be on top for spacing with EB issue.
    Right Orange: Elusive Brew Stacks Duration and Stacks. A small Yellow Square above it for Healing Elixirs buff.
    Left Orange: Elusive Brew's actual buff.
    Purple: Shuffle.
    Pale Green: Tiger Palm's buff.
    Green: Stagger, Turns to Yellow and Red accordingly. - To Do: Put amount like Elusive Brew and Guard and get rid of the one above the Action Bars.
    --
    Red: Not a part of the group, but a bigger red one for HeroLustWrap. Next to the Character, Right of Elusive Brew.
    Squares on Top for Crit Banner, Pot. To Do: Add the Shammy totem, maybe something else.

Edit: I made a Xuen bar, so that Icon is removed.

Disclaimer: I always get ideas from UIs around here, and Weakauras, e.g. the Shuffle, Tiger, and Guard specifically are from around here a few months ago.
    Completely off-topic, but what the hell. This screenshot has two of my guildies in it! Lae, and Mycil.

Your UI looks great btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sertii View Post
    What should I do with the player and target unit frames? They feel wrong :/

imgur com/KrLoExQ

Also, nitpick to your hearts content
    Very interesting design question that pretty much any healer designing a pve oriented UI with centered raid frames faces
    I could go on for hours about it but here's a few thoughts, hope it helps!

Player unit frame
    1. Information - You actually don't need to display your player unit frame... at least not all of it. The only information that you need from there is your mana since your health will always be displayed on the raid frames anyway and you made the good decision of not polluting your raid frames with energy bars

2. Positioning - Placement is about prioritization. There's only a limited space around your raid frames with a lots of info that you probably want to display around there (Offensive and defensive CDs, cast bar, boss timers, procs, important buffs and debuffs etc.). I used to think that mana was a very important info to track at all times as a healer which is why I had it so close to my raid frames in many version of my paly UI (like below in Dragon Soul)

But I think I was wrong Mana is obviously important as a healer but a few glances here and there during a fight will usually be enough to get you through any kind of content. This is why I would recommend to put it at the bottom center of your interface (as I did on my latest healer UI). I found out though it was useful to add a sound or visual reminder of when I go under 45% mana to prevent going in mana burning mode without noticing.

3. Design - You can design your standalone mana bar several ways, whether it's by tweaking whatever unitframes addon you're using to display mana only, making a full custom one in weakauras or using vuhdo.

Target unit frame
    1. Information - As a healer, I don't think you need much information on your target unitframe really. It's obviously a matter of personal taste in the end but I found out that my target's name and it's health % was pretty much the only information I was processing during raid fights (cast bar, alternative energy bars etc. are usually displayed somewhere else).

2. Positioning - I would say it depends a lot on your healing style (and somewhat on your class).
    If you're using mouseover macros to take full advantage of the whole targeting/mouseovering playstyle (which I think is by far the best) you'll want to have you target info displayed close to your raid frames. If you're only using clique or vuhdo's mouseover, your target is actually quite irrelevant anyway so no need to clutter your raid frames with that info.

3. Design - Obviously depends on the info you'll decide to display in the end... What would fit your UI really well imo is the kind of text design Jhazrun has in its UI, which I copied shamelessly in my shaman UI

May all your heals be crits!
    P.S. sorry for the wall
    MW Monk - Bilgamesh
    Resto shaman - Hexxtra - UI on Wowinterface
    Holy paladin - Kaytemoss - UI on Wowinterface

What do you think about my UI?

Deleted

After having seen a few different setups from you I gotta ask: do you use these to raid??

I couldn't get my head wrapped arround such a hardcore minimalistic UI. No raidframes, very light colours etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I admire it for its beauty, but I could not imagine raiding at full efficency on this.

ArkInventory (not shown)
    Bartender4
    Carbonite
    Chatter
    MoveAnything (to put the unit mouseover tooltip to the left of the map)
    SexyMap
    Simple Holy Power
    Shadowed Unit Frames
    TidyPlates
    WeakAuras
    WIM (not shown)

I think that about covers it. I like simplicity and ease of access of information, and a lack of clutter.
    Last edited by tss; 2014-03-01 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I make different UIs for each character. I think that's a fun way to experiment with new ideas without constantly changing the UI on my raiding main, which could be disruptive to my raid performance (well, I do constantly change my main's UI but only in subtle ways...my alt UIs tend to be completely different).
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Why do you need 2 raid frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippoo View Post
    After having seen a few different setups from you I gotta ask: do you use these to raid??

I couldn't get my head wrapped arround such a hardcore minimalistic UI. No raidframes, very light colours etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I admire it for its beauty, but I could not imagine raiding at full efficency on this.
    Yes, believe it or not but I actually raid hardcore with UIs like this so I always have to let functionality come first.
    Raidframes are only shown in a raid, and light colours are fine as long as they're complemented with a dark one.

Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    I make different UIs for each character. I think that's a fun way to experiment with new ideas without constantly changing the UI on my raiding main, which could be disruptive to my raid performance (well, I do constantly change my main's UI but only in subtle ways...my alt UIs tend to be completely different).
    Yeah, no idea why I haven't thought about it before.. trying to make 1 UI work for all classes limits so much creativity!