Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    Reaction-colored text on reaction-colored bars. Rookie mistake, or intentional?
    Did you just call Lyn a rookie? i actually lol'd
    It could also be an hpthreshold trigger, but even it is reaction specific coloring for the name text and health bar, I wouldn't necessarily call it a mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    Reaction-colored text on reaction-colored bars. Rookie mistake, or intentional?
    Rookie mistake? Haha, cute. =)

No, actually there is one good reason for that: I got the zip file with my UI when I started playing again from a friend .. and he updated some addons. Especially the oUF layout - which has this as a standard "setting". I have overseen this. Normally the name of the target should be white. But since I am currently working on an own oUF layout myself .. I am not bothering to change that. =)
    Last edited by Lyn; 2014-07-25 at 06:03 PM.
    oh, honey.

Post Your UI

My Paladin ui:
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2014-07-26 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post

No, actually there is one good reason for that: I got the zip file with my UI when I started playing again from a friend .. and he updated some addons. Especially the oUF layout - which has this as a standard "setting". I have overseen this. Normally the name of the target should be white. But since I am currently working on an own oUF layout myself .. I am not bothering to change that. =)
    Lyn, can you post a screenshot of the ui with the yellow swirly stuff behind the action bars turned down to 0%, I just wanna see what it looks like :P
    Also, maybe you could do something like I did for my combo points so that your target frame doesn't look so much taller than your player frame.
    http://s.cdn.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw60645.jpg
    Lastly, I don't know if you are going to do this already since you said you're working on a new layout, but I don't think a dps really needs to see the missing health text on the raid frames, and if you remove it, maybe center the names vertically on the healthbar and line up the roll icon to the right of the name?

<3
    Ish

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    Lyn, can you post a screenshot of the ui with the yellow swirly stuff behind the action bars turned down to 0%, I just wanna see what it looks like :P
    Also, maybe you could do something like I did for my combo points so that your target frame doesn't look so much taller than your player frame.
    http://s.cdn.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw60645.jpg
    Lastly, I don't know if you are going to do this already since you said you're working on a new layout, but I don't think a dps really needs to see the missing health text on the raid frames, and if you remove it, maybe center the names vertically on the healthbar and line up the roll icon to the right of the name?

<3
    Ish
    Sure can do. Just fixing small things .. Now that he mentioned it I need to fix the names
    Yeah, I am building a new one but I think I'll do that just for WoD and beyond. No big changes for MoP .. And on my sketch the raid frames are also like you suggested.

w/o the class colored "swirl" https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...514_215216.jpg
    oh, honey.

Sure can do. Just fixing small things .. Now that he mentioned it I need to fix the names
    Yeah, I am building a new one but I think I'll do that just for WoD and beyond. No big changes for MoP .. And on my sketch the raid frames are also like you suggested.

w/o the class colored "swirl" https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...514_215216.jpg
    I personally think that looks better and I would bump the graphic to the right ~8 pixels or so, but that's just me

Excited to see the WoD version :P

<3
    Ish

Excited to see the WoD version :P
    Yeah, me, too.
    oh, honey.

Deleted

Soo.... with that explanation... pretty much a rookie mistake then...

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Soo.... with that explanation... pretty much a rookie mistake then...
    http://dictionary.reverso.net/englis...okie%20mistake

For it to have been a "rookie mistake" Lyn would need to be new at Ui design, which isn't the case. It was oversight, not sure why this is needing elaboration lol

For it to have been a "rookie mistake" Lyn would need to be new at Ui design, which isn't the case. It was oversight, not sure why this is needing elaboration lol
    Pretty much this, because I really didn't care fixing a lot after started again playing .. because I haven't touched Lua in over a year, I cba to open any files at all. Sometimes you just oversee some details. Happens.

Oh my ... some people.
    Last edited by Lyn; 2014-07-25 at 09:08 PM.
    oh, honey.

Skullflower.. that UI is so simple it's beautiful.

Deleted

Nah a "rookie mistake" is a mistake a rookie makes, weather or not the person doing it is a rookie or experienced doesn't matter.

This thread is awesome when people argue semantics. Maybe it should move to arguing about what is minimalism or if ElvUI UIs are real UIs or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Nah a "rookie mistake" is a mistake a rookie makes, weather or not the person doing it is a rookie or experienced doesn't matter.

I don't know why I'm doing this, but I read this post right before jumping in the shower, and had nothing better to do than carry the argument through to the end in my head, so I may as well type it out.

Conclusion: Not a rookie mistake.

First, we have to decide whether we're arguing that the act of making the mistake was the act of a rookie, or whether we're arguing if the mistake as a thing should be labeled as a rookie mistake.

If we're arguing about the act of making the mistake, the argument is over quickly, because the act that would be a "rookie mistake," is consciously choosing to have reaction colored bars and text, which was obviously not the case.

If we're arguing that the mistake as a thing is a "rookie mistake," it's a bit more complex. One could argue that a rookie might make this mistake, therefore the intentions behind the actions do not matter, the label still fits.

This can be misleading, though, because a rookie can make all kinds of mistakes that someone proficient at UI development could also make. For instance, I could be trying my hardest to make everything pixel perfect, and be off by one pixel on one status bar, where a rookie wouldn't even know to make it pixel perfect, but lucked out on everything except one status bar.

I wouldn't call my mistake in that example a rookie mistake, because the thought of making something pixel perfect is not a process a rookie would take. The only mistakes that should be labeled as a "rookie" mistake would be mistakes that only rookies would make, and not other people. Otherwise the rookie label is extraneous, and you may as well just call everything "mistakes," because they're all included in mistakes that rookies could also make.

I think the only way to correctly define if it was a "rookie mistake" is to include the intentions behind the design. In this case the intentions were "I didn't notice" and "I can't be bothered," both things that often happen to seasoned UI veterans, and in the case of the latter, probably something expressed more so by people jaded with UI design than those new to it.

Therefore, I think calling it a "rookie mistake" is either a) not the correct term, or b) meant to be a backhanded insult. (I didn't explain this line of thinking thoroughly because I've not known Tordenflesk to make such comments, albeit in the small sample size of his posts that I've seen.)

Now I'll go back to lurking and stealing ideas from people who obviously have much more creative minds than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarch View Post
    Therefore, I think calling it a "rookie mistake" is either a) not the correct term, or b) meant to be a backhanded insult. (I didn't explain this line of thinking thoroughly because I've not known Tordenflesk to make such comments, albeit in the small sample size of his posts that I've seen.)
    I just wondered if it was intentional or not. Admittedly English isn't my first language, but I thought "rookie mistake" had always been a mistake typical of rookies and when used to describe the action of a professional it typically meant "you goofed something up that you shouldn't have".

Quote Originally Posted by Skullflower View Post
    /gasp
    You changed the actionbars!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    Ye it's a fair point. It has started to go a tad too techno. Transistor's UI has a nice kind of semi organic techno look, and it seems that while ripping it off I kind of lost the organic half. I might re-do it.

EDIT - like this maybe:

What do you use to skin the frames? (like the character panel you have open in the screenshot)

Deleted
    What's the deal with imgur constantly scaling our images up. It pisses me off royally.