Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by Zol View Post
    What UI is that? or is it one you are working on?

i.e. really looks good
    Making ElvUi go TukUi iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    Another update. Using the foundations of KaitUI for all the frames.
    Could be nice, but some elementens really need anti-aliasing

Custom UI, had it for a while and looking to make some tweaks. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

http://imgur.com/HYGAXWn

Thanks to JustintimeSS for the awesome sig!!

Quote Originally Posted by MelodicAssassin View Post
    Custom UI, had it for a while and looking to make some tweaks. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Looks decent and functional to me though I'd just suggest making all the fonts and borders the same, and maybe scaling down the portraits a little bit; they're huge!

http://imgur .com/HYGAXWn
    a couple of quick points:

-there's some funky clipping happening with your minimap (the blue POI circle outside the actual frame)
    -you have replicating buffs on your unit frames and buff display, perhaps make a filter so that only 2m > buffs are shown in the unit frames and those longer are kept in the buff frame next to the minimap?
    -to reduce screen clutter, might want to disable either combat floating text or your scrolling combat text...you don't need both
    -imo, i'd remove the timestamp from chat. it makes each line so unnecessarily long
    -like Pixil said, normalize your fonts, textures, and borders. easiest things to point out these inconsistencies: unit frame buffs and your actionbar buttons have different borders, your actual unit frames don't have any borders, your minimap frame texture doesn't match anything else on the screen, etc.

I am personally not a fan of a tonne of brokers/titanpanel etc displays.
    I cant see the need most of the time, or really in any persistent display to know your memory usage or fps. Memory usage is also a useless figure, but thats another discussion.
    There is a default shortcut ctrl+r to toggle a framerate counter unless that one is providing something more than just a "current" figure.
    Latency unless you have issues isn't in my view necessary to see all the time.
    Those specifically I mentioned as I see those on practically every UI, even those which are being called minimalist.
    You could easily remove many, or have them visible only on mouseover.
    Perhaps turning off the text some used as "launchers", rather than informational displays - so they are reduced to just icons. Then collate those together perhaps in one corner.

That is perhaps a personal gripe, but I am trying to make a move towards less information and judging just what I REALLY need to see on screen most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    even those which are being called minimalist.
    [...]
    That is perhaps a personal gripe, but I am trying to make a move towards less information and judging just what I REALLY need to see on screen most of the time.
    I would say that you're describing a visually minimal UI, not a minimalist UI. They're not the same thing when it comes to interactive media like WoW. I think that to be minimalist, you have to take that into account.

Information running along the bottom of your screen isn't a distraction. Who actually looks at the corners/borders of their screen while playing and needs them to be free of UI elements? Nah. Put something useful there! Maybe you don't have a use for those things, but some do.

Which is more optimal while DPSing/healing/tanking: a split-second glance, or stopping what you're doing and employing hand-eye coordination to run your cursor over to that mouseover frame while pounding out your rotation? Which is more intuitive? Having it constantly visible on a low-key part of the screen just makes sense. The point of a data feed addon is to provide a faster way to retrieve and process desirable information. I also used to power level like crazy back in BC and Wrath, and having durability/bag space immediately available at all times was surprisingly useful (I know I should have gone outside instead, but that's a different matter).

Here's my current UI. I regularly access all of that information (there's also a "Mail!" notification when relevant) with reason. My ISP can be erratic, and having latency available at a glance allows me to instantly recognize an issue when it appears and assess whether to keep playing or go grab a drink while Charter gets its act together. It gives me the information with minimal distraction from what I'm focusing on.

TL;DR: Eyes move faster than hands. If you feel the urge to access that data frequently enough, there's no reason not to have a data feed. But I'm a productivity freak and probably think too much about this stuff.

I really dig the uniqueness of the target frame and tried to use that as a basis for a player frame as well - but the end result took up more screen real estate than I wanted- for the social net inspired UI

Quote Originally Posted by Everlu View Post
    text
    I think his point is that latency and fps are on a very low priority of importance to have available for view at all times. They tick constantly making them very easy for your eyes to frequently glimpse at when there is no need to, why show these things when you are not even showing buffs or health on your frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Tramzh View Post
    I think his point is that latency and fps are on a very low priority of importance to have available for view at all times. They tick constantly making them very easy for your eyes to frequently glimpse at when there is no need to, why show these things when you are not even showing buffs or health on your frames?
    There's very little reason for either of these things. The only reason to even have percent health on a mob is to determine phase shifts and for execute abilities which are taken care in his UI because of his rotation helper. Buffs are easily managed via WA if they are things you actually needed to know. I could probably remove my Raven Buffs in my UI and not miss them at all, as any important buff is monitored via WA and anything else is inconsequential.

I would agree that FPS/latency are on the low priority for being displayed, but I've always had them on my UI. It's in the corner and I literally never look there unless I make a choice to do so - ask anyone who ever whispers me :P. Any information not specifically in the center regions of my screen (basically where my eyes naturally gravitate) pretty much requires a conscious/manual thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mareeta View Post
    Your job is to maximize your output while traversing the mechanics and staying alive, regardless of role.

Quote Originally Posted by Everlu View Post
    I would say that you're describing a visually minimal UI, not a minimalist UI. They're not the same thing when it comes to interactive media like WoW. I think that to be minimalist, you have to take that into account.

Information running along the bottom of your screen isn't a distraction. Who actually looks at the corners/borders of their screen while playing and needs them to be free of UI elements? Nah. Put something useful there! Maybe you don't have a use for those things, but some do.

Which is more optimal while DPSing/healing/tanking: a split-second glance, or stopping what you're doing and employing hand-eye coordination to run your cursor over to that mouseover frame while pounding out your rotation? Which is more intuitive? Having it constantly visible on a low-key part of the screen just makes sense. The point of a data feed addon is to provide a faster way to retrieve and process desirable information. I also used to power level like crazy back in BC and Wrath, and having durability/bag space immediately available at all times was surprisingly useful (I know I should have gone outside instead, but that's a different matter).

Here's my current UI. I regularly access all of that information (there's also a "Mail!" notification when relevant) with reason. My ISP can be erratic, and having latency available at a glance allows me to instantly recognize an issue when it appears and assess whether to keep playing or go grab a drink while Charter gets its act together. It gives me the information with minimal distraction from what I'm focusing on.

TL;DR: Eyes move faster than hands. If you feel the urge to access that data frequently enough, there's no reason not to have a data feed. But I'm a productivity freak and probably think too much about this stuff.
    Minimal or minimalist is removal of redundant, duplicated or unnecessary information.
    FPS is unnecessary outside of performance testing, and outside of a controlled environment it is difficult to judge, and a running "current" figure isn't that helpful even then.
    Memory usage even less useful.

Latency isn't necessary to be seen unless you have a good reason, as you state you do have connectivity issues.
    I was not saying that latency display is always bad, but that unless you have a reason to judge it, then it shouldn't be visible.
    If your connection is stable, when do you need to see a constant reminder always telling you just that.

That extra information needn't get in the way as you mention, but a UI featuring those and then calling itself minimalist is just wrong.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-10-07 at 04:20 AM.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Minimal or minimalist is removal of redundant, duplicated or unnecessary information.
    FPS is unnecessary outside of performance testing, and outside of a controlled environment it is difficult to judge, and a running "current" figure isn't that helpful even then.
    Memory usage even less useful.

Latency isn't necessary to be seen unless you have a good reason, as you state you do have connectivity issues.
    I was not saying that latency display is always bad, but that unless you have a reason to judge it, then it shouldn't be visible.
    If your connection is stable, when do you need to see a constant reminder always telling you just that.

That extra information needn't get in the way as you mention, but a UI featuring those and then calling itself minimalist is just wrong.
    I don't think duplicating information is a step away from minimalism. For example, having nameplates, health bars and health text to a certain extent is a way to duplicate information. Having a cooldown counter on your action buttons and DoomCooldownPulse is also a way to duplicate information, but at the same time increase functionality. I think you hit the spot with redundant rather than duplicated information.

I agree with Everlu on the topic of displaying FPS/MS in a corner. It's not visually obtrusive, in the way nor is it anything that drags your eyes to the corner. Yet, when you need or even just want to check the FPS/MS, it's available in a quick eye movement. If you need the information, the addition of it is a step towards minimalism, not away from it.

Honestly though, I don't think your performance is going to change if you're showing FPS/MS or not, but for the sake of discussion I think it's an interesting piece to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by pHishr View Post
    I don't think duplicating information is a step away from minimalism. For example, having nameplates, health bars and health text to a certain extent is a way to duplicate information. Having a cooldown counter on your action buttons and DoomCooldownPulse is also a way to duplicate information, but at the same time increase functionality. I think you hit the spot with redundant rather than duplicated information.

I agree with Everlu on the topic of displaying FPS/MS in a corner. It's not visually obtrusive, in the way nor is it anything that drags your eyes to the corner. Yet, when you need or even just want to check the FPS/MS, it's available in a quick eye movement. If you need the information, the addition of it is a step towards minimalism, not away from it.

Honestly though, I don't think your performance is going to change if you're showing FPS/MS or not, but for the sake of discussion I think it's an interesting piece to talk about.
    I disagree, and still think that minimalism is the reduction down to the fundamentals, that which is actually required.
    For most people those numbers aren't that, are not required and are simply there out of habit, because everyone else does it.

It may not be a distraction, or detrimental.
    But it isn't minimalist including it for the sake of it.
    Too much effort trying to justify its inclusion because it can be "out of the way" when I wasn't saying that wasn't an option.
    Just that a UI being called something wasn't actually that.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-10-07 at 11:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a term that definitely needs to be defined in a discussion like this is "needed." How do we define needed elements? To me, for an element to be needed (during combat) it has to be something that will cause you to change your behavior (help you make decisions about your actions) based on the information it's providing you. Anything that doesn't lead you to your choices (somewhere during encounters) isn't needed and can safely be removed. Does seeing your latency, frame rate or memory usage help you make in-combat decisions? That's really the question that one should be asking, IMO.

As for whether it's harmful to keep unnecessary elements, it really depends on how much of an absolutist you are about cognitive load. The more absolutist you are, the more you believe that anything you're perceiving is adding to your cognitive load, making your task a bit harder, whether you're aware of it consciously or not. We have finite cognitive capacity and something you don't need can only harm your chances of making the right decisions, but it can't help (because, by the above definition, it's information that doesn't aid you in decision-making). Constie doesn't seem to be around anymore (so it should be safe to speak for him--that's how it works, right?), but he was pretty absolutist.

I, on the other hand, tend to agree with removing unnecessary things but I'm not convinced that you're definitely going to see some reduced performance with tiny unneeded elements--largely because I don't believe raiding, even at the mythic level, requires every ounce of our brain's cognitive capacity, so you can "waste some cycles" without any real diminishment. Of course, load your UI with too much unnecessary stuff, and you may start to negatively affect your performance.

I'm a pretty big adherent to minimalism, but I also believe in aesthetics. I'll sometimes do something in my UI that's not perfectly minimal because I think it looks better that way, more elegant from an aesthetic perspective. I try to minimize how many of those trade-offs I make and I think my resulting UIs still tend to be very minimal, but it's not necessarily important that you reach 100% minimalism. Just that you consider the concept.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Deleted
    This is draggin on so long. I should think that whats needed, whats minimalistic but still sufficient whats aesthetic, whats functional is all highly subjective and/or dependant on so many different factors that the entire discussion about it here is kinda mood. You can write what you like and why all day but saying someone else is wrong is pretty ignorant. If they feel it works for them, fine if it wouldn't for you, also fine. If someone has performance/lag issues and thinks he profits from fps/ping data they can still be included into a sorta minimalistic ui since they serve a function even though they wouldn't for someone else.

I'll not clog up this thread any longer, if I choose to continue this ill do it in another thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an interesting on-topic discussion which can be had without calling people "wrong." If people would prefer to split it out into a separate thread, that's fine, but it's hardly unrelated.

That's me again, recently released a new version of my UI, cuz I finally added rarity indicators to UFs and nameplates, made some changes to how statusbars are handled, drew many new textures for various layout elements, and some other stuff not presented in this picture

I'm thinking about adding a nice dock/console with whistles and bells for main actionbar, micromenu and bags, cuz I dun really like that they are floating in the air, but that's one of my long-term plans
    Last edited by ls-; 2015-10-08 at 04:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    That's me again, recently released a new version of my UI, cuz I finally added rarity indicators to UFs and nameplates, made some changes to how statusbars are handled, drew many new textures for various layout elements, and some other stuff not presented in this picture

I'm thinking about adding a nice dock/console with whistles and bells for main actionbar, micromenu and bags, cuz I dun really like that they are floating in the air, but that's one of my long-term plans
    Looks very nice. IMO, you should re-skin the chat window (either with custom art or else just using an addon to fade the non-text elements when not moused over), because the default buttons look out of place alongside the sleekness of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    Looks very nice. IMO, you should re-skin the chat window (either with custom art or else just using an addon to fade the non-text elements when not moused over), because the default buttons look out of place alongside the sleekness of everything else.
    Not sure about it, I like default chat, cuz I dun really need any extra functionality. My ultimate goal is to fit into blizzard art style, so I won't need to reskin other default frames, bars and so on, that's why I'm trying to utilize default textures when possible and textures/frames in general have same colour scheme and shapes as default UI elements do, e.g. everything is octagonal with cut corners or just roundish.

I'm not trying to recreate AIO elvui, I may reskin chat buttons though...
    Last edited by ls-; 2015-10-08 at 06:11 AM.