Why is my DPS low, or am i just missing something?

Ive been playing mage since TBC was released, never had a problem with DPS before, untill i got 80 and started working towards end game raiding, im FFB spec, which you can see from my armory link, and with my gear, people are saying i should be constantly pushing 4.5-5k dps but im not so sure.

Anyway, my rotation i use is Living bomb > Scorch x2 > Spam FFB untill hot streak procs, living bomb needs re-applying or scorch needs refreshing.

Any advice on gear suggestions, any just general tips about dps are welcomed.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...hammer&n=Nuage

Re: Why is my DPS low, or am i just missing something?

Post a WWS/WMO so we can have a better idea of what you're doing.

I can give a few hints.

1 - Crit is very valuable for Frostfire specs, but still not preferable over Spell Power.
    2 - You have too much hit, do you not ever run with a Moonkin/SPriest ? You could get rid of 69 Hit Rating that way, better spent on more offensive stats.

How much DPS have you been doing ? How much FPS/latency do you have in a raid ? What type of casters do you run with ? 10 or 25 man ?

These are all questions that need to be answered..

I dont have either to post im afraid, last guild i was in werent impressed with my dps yet when i asked them for advice or suggestions they just ignored me ¬¬

15+ Year Old Account

if you're running with a balance druid or shadow priest, you only need 11% hit so you could try dropping that 2% or so for crit and a bit of haste, if possible. if you're not then you actually need a little more hit.

in the case of dropping hit, maybe aim for a neck/bracer/belt with stats other than hit rather than regemming. also, i see a lot of crit gems when SP is always a bigger increase so i'd replace those 16 crit gems with 19 SP and the crit will hopefully come from upgrades.

the only other thing could be the raid setup. melee heavy groups lacking a moonkin/ele shaman/s priest can really hurt caster dps as we lose so much crit and SP.

what kind of numbers are you putting out at the moment?

Put a 19 spellpower gem in your gloves/boots, that socket bonus isn't so great.

Don't gem for crit.. Unless it's to fill in a yellow socket then it's spellpower/crit.

If you bring a spriest and/or moonkin to your raids you can afford to drop some of that hit.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

Edited my post up above, should have made a new one.

Frostfire is not optimal anymore, atleast from what i've seen and played around with.

Your gear is lacking a bit yes, but without knowing what you DO dps currently, can't say if you're way under where you should be.

One thing you can look at is a build more like this http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...&n=Fearthefire Which is 18/53/0 TTW/Deep fire. It's much more consistent damage and you're not relying as heavily on crits. Though any fire spec you'll be somewhat relying on crits. The only change between the two specs is changing FFB in your rotation with Fireball and changing glyph's of course.

The only thing with 18/53/0 is you're getting 0% hit from talents, but if you frequently raid with a spriest/Imp FF Boomkin then you'll only need 14% hit.

There's also the 57/3/11 build you can try, but very mana intensive especially without optimal gear.

Hope this helps.

Spellpower and crit is a bit low, i think you just have too much gear with spirit on it. That said with the patch spirit becomes more useful.

Also a big factor could be your raid support which you havent mentioned. If the melee are fully supported and you got none then you wont stand a chance.

Thanks, il look at re-gemming then.

numbers wise im not sure what your after, but FFB crits are normally between 11-12k

DPS in standard nuke fights can vary from 2.5-4k depending on crits.

Its normally fairly safe to say that in a 25man raid theres almost certainly going to be a SP or Boomkin knocking about, so il drop my hit down a bit.

In terms of raid support, there was nearly always a boomkin or SP about, but rarely an elemental shaman. The top DPS in most of the raids i went to were all physical damage as opposed to magic.

Having a destro lock's buff helps out a lot too.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Senrith

How much DPS have you been doing ? How much FPS/latency do you have in a raid ? What type of casters do you run with ? 10 or 25 man ?

These are all questions that need to be answered..
    my typical DPS from a 25 man raid was normally around 3.6k, FPS around 45-60 average, and my lat is generally around 200. Raids are normally very melee heavy with 2 other mages, 1 SP, and 2 Boomkins normally, and on a rare occasion an elemental shaman.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nuage
    my typical DPS from a 25 man raid was normally around 3.6k, FPS around 45-60 average, and my lat is generally around 200. Raids are normally very melee heavy with 2 other mages, 1 SP, and 2 Boomkins normally, and on a rare occasion an elemental shaman.
    there's your answer. our 25 mans are pretty much the opposite; we have a demonology warlock for Demonic Pact as well as an elemental shaman's Totem of Wrath. the top 5 are almost exclusively casters every raid. that being said, i think 3.6k is a decent effort considering your unbuffed SP is < 1600. with a few upgrades, gemming for SP and the right support, you will get to 5k.

Thanks for the support, as i said my old guild were very quick to criticise my efforts but never as quick to give the advice.

Il put it all into practice and il see where i come up

They probably expected you to research your class, no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPoetry
    there's your answer. our 25 mans are pretty much the opposite; we have a demonology warlock for Demonic Pact as well as an elemental shaman's Totem of Wrath. the top 5 are almost exclusively casters every raid. that being said, i think 3.6k is a decent effort considering your unbuffed SP is < 1600. with a few upgrades, gemming for SP and the right support, you will get to 5k.
    What this guy said. Practice also makes perfect, if you try hard to get better DPS results (don't kill yourself in void zones though!) you'll hit higher numbers pretty quickly.

If you're not using keybindings already, they'll definitely give you a hand in upping your DPS once you master them.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPoetry
    if you're running with a balance druid or shadow priest, you only need 11% hit
    Wrong, the two does not stack so you need atleast 14% hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reclusiarch
    Wrong, the two does not stack so you need atleast 14% hit.
    in a vacuum yes, but he has 3% hit from whatever the frost talent is so he needs 11%

Quote Originally Posted by bals
    in a vacuum yes, but he has 3% hit from whatever the frost talent is so he needs 11%
    if he has taken precision, he only needs 11% in a raid setting. since you are over hitcap, your gems should be 19SP unless a working for a good socket bonus, then you should be using the 9sp/8crit for yellow, and 9sp/8spirit for blue (for chaotic meta). since the release of 3.1, if you are running with a lock, take the imp scorch, but leave scorch out of your rotation. glyphs should be molten armor, ffb, and living bomb.

(i cant get the armory to work, so based on what has been said in this thread, i take it your are over hitcap and ffb spec'd (the cookie cutter spec))