Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

*STICKY* Answers to Warrior questions for now 3.3 - READ BEFORE POSTING!!!!

Modified pre 3.3. And while there are some things I don't neccessarily agree are worded 100% correctly, this is more than a decent collection of information on all things warrior. - Battousai

Q1. Arms or Fury for PvE?

A. Whichever you enjoy more. Arms will out DPS Fury in Heroic/Naxx/OS/Maly gear, but Fury surpasses Arms with full Ulduar gear or above.
    Q2. PvE Arms specs for 3.2+?
    A. http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=LhrhbfIt00bRdGuioGx00xb - 54/17/0
    B. http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent#Lhrhb...iohxZbI:sqmMmz - 55/8/8 (Incite Build)

*note* these are "basic" builds. Alter according to flavor. Some may want/need Weapon Mastery, other Parry instead of HS, other Demo instead of Commanding Presence, etc. Use this as a guide, alter to fit your needs. Remember glyphs aren't set...some encounters will want to glyph cleave, others Bladestorm...etc.

Recommended Glyphs - Mortal Strike, Rending, Execution

Q2.1 PVE Fury spec for 3.2+?
    A. http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent#LN0h0...0eRVzAo:oMGz0o

cookie cutter build - recommended glyphs included.

Q3. PvP Arms spec for 3.2+?
    A. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LcrubfIt0frRzGuioGx0o

*note* again this is just a "basic" build. Alter according to flavor. Use this as a guide, alter to fit your needs.

Mortal Strike, Hamstring , Rapid Charge.

Q4. Protection build(s) for 3.2+?
    A1. http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=LAM00fZhZMItrx0zidIzsGo

*note* basic Deep Wounds build. Yes, 2 points are missing. Add to flavor yourself. Recommend Revenge, Blocking, Heroic Strike Major Glyphs.

A2. http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=LAZhbZVItrg0didIzsGo

*note* basic full survivability build. Recommend Blocking, Shield Wall, Last Stand Major Glyphs.

A3. http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=LAMIz...R0MZZMItrx0zid

*note* this is a spec designed for single target tanking for maximum threat/DPS. should NOT be used as a main tank spec unless you overgear encounter. "gimmick" spec for those who maybe want to dual-spec one of the above specs + this one for dps/threat races.

Glyphs - Revenge, Heroic Strike, Vigilance

Q5. What should I dual spec?
    A. It depends on what you want to do. Tank + DPS builds are likely to be most common for PvE raiders. PvP + PvE builds for either Arms/Fury or Fury/Arms are likely to be popular too for those who do both PvE and PvP and don't like Tanking. Dual Tank specs will be uncommon, but probably very useful for smaller guilds who don't have two Warrior tanks. Then there are those who will do Fury PvE/PvP specs or Arms both PvE and PvP specs.

Q6. What should I gem for as Arms spec, for 3.2+?
    A. Armor Penetration. Hard cap is 1400 rating, soft cap depends on your trinket - if you have GT your soft cap is 788

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.ph...7008#msg847008

Q7. What is the PvE DPS rotation for Arms?
    A. There is no rotation, it is a priority order.

-Rend Refreshed immediately after expires
    -Mortal Strike on every CD
    -Sudden Death if lit or both Overpower and Sudden Death are lit
    -Overpower if lit
    -Slams when nothing is lit.
    -Heroic Strike if more than 70 rage.
    -Bladestorm when off CD, preferably when you have just hit that overpower or execute so those are on cd and your arp trink and berserking are active.

Q8. What is the PvE dps rotation for fury.
    A. There is no rotation, simply a priority order.

Bloodthirst on cd
    Whirlwind on cd
    Slam on bloodsurge proc but do not clip either BT or ww cd.
    Herois Strike queued as much as rage permits.

Q8.1. Should I execute spam sub 20%?
    A. No - at current gear levels and with the rage cap on execute you will do more damage/dps by sticking to the above priority order.

Q9. What's the best Weapon for Arms?
    A. Pve weapons - naturally the glad weaps are better for pvp.

Dual Blade Butcher - 2h Axe
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47285 (heroic version is BiS for both fury and arms)

Q9.1. How important is my offhand weapon for my fury dps.
    A. It is a stat buffer mostly, for that reason http://www.wowhead.com/?item=48023 is better than anything but the heroic butcher.

Q10. What are exp/hit/crit caps for PVE dps in 3.2+?
    1. No crit cap, more = better but don't gem for it (aim for 35% unbuffed minimum)
    2. Expertise soft cap (dodge) is 6.5%
    3. hit is 8% including talents.

Q11. How important is it for me to stay at these caps?
    A. Hit is priority, it is extremely important to soft cap hit for 8% because under that and your special attacks can miss.
    Expertise is as high for fury's MH weapon, orcs and humans get this easy with their racial bonuses, it is less important for fury offhand weapon, the only special that your oh uses is whirlwind and the oh whirlwind damage usually accounts for around 7-8% of damage done on any fight, white hits for the off hand are even lower. Expertise for Arms however, is a lot more complicated as part of each attack that gets dodge gets "made up" by the following Overpower...therefore the Strength Equivalency Point for Arms is a lot lower than fury...enough to the point that done right...its less important than ArP/AP/crit.

Q12. what should I enchant on my boots?
    A. This depends what you are raiding etc. I want to quote someone here (unfortunately I don't know who the original author is):

'Movement is 99% of skill in this game. There is nothing else. A mindless drone can go to EJ, look up the correct rotation and download rawr to tell them how to gear. Nor are the rotations for any of the classes difficult. '

Your best boot enchant for any spec is one that involves run speed.

As a dps you get to mobs quicker, get out of fires quicker: as a pvper - self explanatory: as a tank - you got it, get to mobs faster, get out of fires faster get to everything faster = better.

Q13. How does Armor Penatration work?
    Armor Penetration
    Everything that gives you "Armor Penetration Rating" or "Armor Penetration". This a personal stat affected by buffs on you. This stat is additive across the board and your actual ArP % is calculated including all the bonuses:
    ArP from gear + ArP from stance + Food/pot/buff bonuses + ArP from bonuses like T9 2pc

Armor Reduction
    This is a debuff stat applied to your target. It includes all effects that "reduce the target's armor" as in
    Sunder: Sunders the target's armor, reducing it by 4% per Sunder Armor and causes a high amount of threat. Threat increased by attack power. Can be applied up to 5 times. Lasts 30 sec.
    Armor Reduction effects are: Sunder Armor, Shattering Throw, Expose Armor, Faerie Fire (+feral)

Armor Reduction effects applied to a target reduce it's total armor by a given %: with 5 stacks (-20%) of Sunder Armor and 25K base armor, the target now has 20K armor. Armor Penetration formula (check wowwiki.com) is applied when you attack the target post-Armor Reduction, meaning it will be applied to the base 25K armor from the above example with no sunders and 20K with 5 sunders.

Re: Answers to all Warrior question for 3.1

Good thread. Hopefully this will reduce all of the questions asked.

Thanks, this are the kind of questions you usually see the next or same day patch goes up.

Edit: Cool sticky.

Well when I see 3,984,754 threads with the exact same questions being asked, it gets annoying.

By the way, what glyphs are you thinking for PvP arms? Personally I was thinking:

Not sure if Mortal strike or Execute glyph would be better, I chose mortal strike just for a bit higher burst damage on switches (with instant crit and all). Hamstring is self explanitory (lot of root procs with it and arms talents) and Rapid charge for a 12 second charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrant
    By the way, what glyphs are you thinking for PvP arms? Personally I was thinking:

Not sure if Mortal strike or Execute glyph would be better, I chose mortal strike just for a bit higher burst damage on switches (with instant crit and all). Hamstring is self explanitory (lot of root procs with it and arms talents) and Rapid charge for a 12 second charge.
    I'd say you figured it out yourself pretty well

It's a question of if you want/need more burst or more control via charge/hamstring. IMO? Go with charge/hamstring.

Will update OP.

Quote Originally Posted by heerobya
    A3. http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=LAMIz...RzMZZMItrx0zib

*note* this is a spec designed for single target tanking for maximum threat/DPS. should NOT be used as a main tank spec unless you overgear encounter. "gimmick" spec for those who maybe want to dual-spec one of the above specs + this one for dps/threat races.

Glyphs - Revenge, Heroic Strike, Vigilance
    cool. glyph of vigilance without vigilance talented

Quote Originally Posted by Pasky
    cool. glyph of vigilance without vigilance talented
    haha oops. my bad... correcting.

I'm making these up quick while at work, some errors are expected

Re: Answers to all Warrior questions for 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Cormias
    Nice thread, one little odd thing in the end
    Edit: You could have done the speccs in mmos talent calculator it is updated and you can add the glyphs in there aswell.
    Updated thanks.

Only reason I didn't use MMO's talent calc is that the links to wowhead are shorter and cleaner looking, making the OP a little easier to read/follow

Updated thanks.

Only reason I didn't use MMO's talent calc is that the links to wowhead are shorter and cleaner looking, making the OP a little easier to read/follow
    can just type <xx/xx/xx> etc

Any other questions that should be added to the list?

tbh, after my point, your PvP arms spec fails.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warr...5&version=9733

This is my spec, I got 3 points left. I dunno what to do about them, I have three options;

3x Iron Will
    2x Strength of Arms + 1x Anger Management
    3x Blood Craze,
    but not sure yet, gonna test it out once patch gets live

Q: What should I gem for as Arms spec, for 3.1?

I ask, because I've heard ArPen and Strength, so I'm not entirely sure which will be better to gem for.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by greganak
    Q: What should I gem for as Arms spec, for 3.1?

I ask, because I've heard ArPen and Strength, so I'm not entirely sure which will be better to gem for.

Thanks.
    Updating...

Oh and that PvP spec posted earlier isn't bad. As I said before, mine is a general outline to give people an idea of something similar they should be building.

Posting it "fails" is both ignorant and childish. Don't derail another thread please.

I'll vote for sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucidor
    I don't know if it's envy, as much as it is most WoW players following this line of thought:

-Anyone who plays less than you is a casual scrub getting free welfare epics.
    -Anyone who plays more than you is an unemployed virgin who needs to get a life, a job, and/or go outside.

Could be both, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheevo
    I'll vote for sticky.
    Maybe use the "Report" feature on the OP and ask?

Thanks.

And, as always, the more questions we can answer in one thread, if stickied, will be a good one-stop shopping for 3.1 resource for us Warriors.

Keep any suggestions/questions coming. And of course if I make any mistakes please let me know.

Deleted

Stickied

Maybe use the "Report" feature on the OP and ask?

Thanks.

And, as always, the more questions we can answer in one thread, if stickied, will be a good one-stop shopping for 3.1 resource for us Warriors.

Keep any suggestions/questions coming. And of course if I make any mistakes please let me know.
    Reported to Mod. And stickied before page refreshed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucidor
    I don't know if it's envy, as much as it is most WoW players following this line of thought:

-Anyone who plays less than you is a casual scrub getting free welfare epics.
    -Anyone who plays more than you is an unemployed virgin who needs to get a life, a job, and/or go outside.

Could be both, though.

I don't think that the gem preferences for arms are similar to fury. If you are beyond 3.5k ap in battle stance, it should be recommended that you stack crit gems until you are at 50% crit raid buffed in battle stance as arms for 100% overpower crit chance as well as high crit chances on all other attacks. Remember that arms is more reliant on crits than fury.
    Where as fury needs crit at 35% or so to maintain 100% up time on rampage and flurry, arms needs it to compare in dps at higher gear level.s
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted

*note* this assumes you are expertise/hit capped and have an acceptable level of critical strike%. If those conditions are met, then gem for Strength.
    It would be appreciated if you could write down what those caps/levels are. For 2-hander, dual wield, and w/ or w/o weapon mastery etc. Good post though, thanks.