Thread: Shadow Affinity

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Shadow Affinity

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Because spamming 1 button for 3 minutes (Mind Sear ftw.) and using fade pretty much on every CD, including shields and dispersion to avoid dying from loose adds, I control my aggro?

Seriously people, nobody's forcing a build on you. Pick what works for you, the argument for IST over SA been discussed widely now, and neither was better than the other.
    Nope, pretty sure everyone is still going to take IST except for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie
    IST = 15.4 spellpower with Kings, and a tiny bit of mana. But you have guaranteed return off of Focused Mind, which is better for regen point per point.

IST is now pretty much only for smite priests.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

And your damage output? Surely the difference in raid composition and amount of crit a player may have, combined with different tanks (Death Knights do more TPS than warriors in the Thorim arena), can result in different amounts of threat.

And of course, gear and active dps time

You simply cannot say it's just fine without providing any data beyond that. Because you could be a slacker that did 5000 dps on Thorim, and thus not pulling aggro due to fuck all dps, and thus your experience would be worth absolutely nothing.

I still fail to see the argument over why:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER PULL AGGRO EVER !

versus

TINY BIT OF SPELLPOWER AND LULZ MANA REGEN

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie
    i dont have IST.

i have IMP VE and Affinity... in BC VE plus 1kdps was enough to pull bosses off a tank.. even with affinity...

now with affinity i have NEVER pulled aggro on anything being tanked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I'm going to hell, and you're all coming with me.

Just a sidenote. It helps alot on Phase 3 of Mimiron, where we use a warlock tank.

Our hunters was very envy of the talent

Just a sidenote. It helps alot on Phase 3 of Mimiron, where we use a warlock tank.

Our hunters was very envy of the talent
    I tanked the head in Mirimon phase 3 due to 15% reduced damage and VE healing myself... I have a couple of K less health than a Lock but I think we are a good canditate to range tank. Of course having shadow affinity would make that a whole lot harder to do.

Warlock with Imp and Nether Protection is better for the job ;-) Min/Maxing you know.

Then again, your guild might have nub warlocks, impossible to tell.

I still fail to see the argument over why:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER PULL AGGRO EVER !

versus

TINY BIT OF SPELLPOWER AND LULZ MANA REGEN
    I think the argument is the same reason you mentioned when discussing why a warlock is better than a spriest for mimiron tank...min/maxing. Maxing your dps would be a little more spellpower. If you can achieve that and not pull aggro (which is what many claim) then more power to them. If you have aggro issues, the shadow affin is a great talent.

Edit: I actually like that we don't necessarily have a "cookie cutter" build. It's nice having to think when choosing talents, to some extent.

Assuming one of your locks is destro I suppose... dual spec makes that more likely but I actually think our 2 locks are affliction with PvP dual specs.

In any case a spriest can do it easily in 10man... I have no idea about 25man yet.

If I'm ever talking about Ulduar lolmode (aka. 10man), I'll say so explicit

And yes, our warlocks are dual spec affliction and deep desto. Shadowfury AoE for Thorim and XT-002, and Affliction for most other fights.

2 PvE specs, yeah, serious players got that.

Affliction kicks ass on Yoggi :/ P3 Soul Drain für 25k Ticks (what i heard).

On General Vezax, Shadow Affinity is really great :> on all other Bosses u dont need it, atleast I didnt.

Mimiron p3 i never reach the aggro of a Hunter who is kiting the Assault Bomb

But the SP boost from IST is very little so, everyone takes what he is prefering.. doesnt make much difference.

15+ Year Old Account

Okay listen up guys and listen up good, I have something important to say;

Shadow...Affinity...is...shit.

If you play with terribad tanks who keyboard turn and use a touchpad then just maybe you might be able to use Shadow Affinity. Other than that forget about it, it's more or less a waste of talent points. There is no way in hell you'll take aggro off a capable tank, especially not before some of the other dps classes. Improved VE on the other hand is quite useful on some fights and IST is a dps increase, however little it is it's a dps increase and when your goal is to maximize performance then you obviously need to pick that talent. Else you might as well start arguing that common gems are fine because rare gems are only slightly better or something equally silly.

And before Captain Terribad and Ms Look-at-me jumps up my ass about Thorim or whatever boss, yes I've killed them without pulling aggro or sucking. I wonder how that's possible if you always pull aggro when Mind Searing or when dps'ing with damage buffs on Hodir/Vezax/whatever. Must be because our tanks can actually tank.

i predict an answer like this for you jinxx: LOL U R NOT DOING NUF DPS

15+ Year Old Account

Maybe I will get such an answer, but then that person would have no clue what he or she is talking about.

I totally agree, i have yet to see anyone pull agro from our tank, some has been close but never any real threat.

If your warriors and mages don't spam your paladins for Hand of Salvation, then they're not doing enough dps.

'nuff said.

15+ Year Old Account

If you need Shadow Affinity then your tanks are not doing enough threat.

'nuff said.

This is essentially an argument between SA vs ST/IST???

Are either ever absolutely needed?

Seems to me to be a lot of wasted bandwidth in this thread.

You should all be ashamed for contributing to global warming on EARTH DAY!!

15+ Year Old Account

If you're looking to maximize dps and you don't have shitty tanks then IST is always needed. Simple as that.