Thread: SPriest tactics

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SPriest tactics

alright I might seem like a noob here (and certainly feel like one after seeing some of the numbers posted on this site), but how exactly do so many shadow priests do so much damage? I'm seeing a lot of people with wws showing 5k+ dps on patchwerk and seemingly high numbers on other boss encounters.

according to maxdps.com i'm doing everything correct, but still falling short on their dps estimate by around 400 dps on the heroic test dummy and I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...wind&n=Silvite

typically start boss encounters out with SW:P, VT, DP, MB, SW, MF, then keep dots up, blow MB and SW whenever the cooldown is up and throw in MF when the other conditions are met. unbuffed I can get 2.8k dps on the heroic training dummy. maxdps.com says that I should be getting 3.2k at least. Any tips are appreciated ^_^

Re: SPriest tactics

2.8k on a target dummy is fine. In ulduar, it's never going to be as simple as just sitting there and pumping as much dps into the boss as you can. It would be a lot easier to pick a part a wws or wmo parse, if you have one. Keep in mind as well that your 2.8k on recount (I presume) would give you different numbers on wws and wmo, possibly by as much as even 100-200 dps.

I'd stress to any shadow priest looking to progress to worry about learning encounters and maintaining survivability before worrying about dps/damage.

Deleted

Your gear is good, so optimally you should be able to break 5k on PW, maybe even 5.5k in 3.1.

On bosses cast SW:P only with 5/5 Shadow Weaving. So opener could be VT-MB-MF-SW:P-DP for example.

SW can be left out of the normal rotation, i've done 5.2k on PW without it (3.0.9). It can be useful filler in some situations, when there is no time for a full MF or the the encounter has lot of movement.

I never test my dps on the hc dummy because a) it has random debuffs on it from others b) there is more rng from partial resists.
    On a lonely lvl80 dummy I can do ~3600dps with selfbuffs, no foods etc.

yepp i agree with the above poster maxdps is a bad site ^^ got to http://www.shadowpriest.com/ or some other good site ... maxdps is kinda crap

some1 above said that too, i'll repeat that anyways starting with SW:P is bad because the 10% damg bonus from 5/5 shadow weaving isn't calculated if SW:P was saet up before 5/5

good opener (since 3.1) is VT-MB-MF-SW:P-DP
    then keep up dots (don't have to worry abount SW:P) use MB on CD but don't clip MF use SW as filler to your MB CD

the opener
    VT 1/5 SW
    MB 2/5 SW Replenishment
    MF 5/5 SW (every tick adds a stack of SW compared to 3.01 where 2 stacks SW were applied at the beginning)
    SW:P now that 5/5 SW gets always refreshed to that amount
    DP ... all dots up
    Welcome to the Internet, where the men are men, the women are men, the children are police officers, everyone is correct all of the time, even when they're wrong, and where opinions are more valid the more insults and swear words you include with them.

Are you using any addons such as dotimer to track the duration of your dots? Are you breaking mind flay early? Why are you using SWD? Don't use SWP before having 5 stacks of Shadow Weaving. Don't use VE. Don't fail with dot uptime. I'm doing 3.5 - 3.7 on heroic dummy, I can post recount information if necessary. Our gear is similar so you should be there too. And for god's sake, don't use maxdps.

Not using VE makes the panda sad

you should be casting pain first for an instant misery. you can recast it later for the weaving buff. it's much easier to recast a missed SWP (cause you aren't hit capped till misery is on the mob) than a missed VT. also, there's a some pain modifiers you're just wasting if you're waiting to cast it (glyph of SWP, Twisted Faith)

Quote Originally Posted by adezero
    you should be casting pain first for an instant misery. you can recast it later for the weaving buff. it's much easier to recast a missed SWP (cause you aren't hit capped till misery is on the mob) than a missed VT. also, there's a some pain modifiers you're just wasting if you're waiting to cast it (glyph of SWP, Twisted Faith)
    All I can say is LOL

Also, ive had it happen a few times where DP will be resisted due to misery not getting up quick enough after a VT cast. so make sure you get some time in before ie. VT, VE, DP. missing a DP is huge dps loss.

For another gear progream besides maxdps (which kinda sucks) check our Rawr. Its not the end all, but it gives you a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Me as well, Nez. Help your healers and keep up VE.

Quote Originally Posted by Healthis
    All I can say is LOL
    then you obviously only play the game Patchwerk style

then you obviously only play the game Patchwerk style
    I tend to max my dps and not leave a nerfed sw Recasting another vt really wouldn't be that hard anyway if it was resisted, w/ the global cooldown from sw so I guess I really don't understand your logic!

boss fights require movement, not just standing in one place, and not giving your raid misery asap is foolish.

try being a support player and not a total idiot relying on strictly the recount meters which mean nothing. same can be said about the fire mage who never puts scorch up and waits for the other mages to do it.

I usually fade before the pull, and then start out with VT, a full Mind Flay and then Mind Blast to get up to 5 stacks, and then put on DP and SW:P. Then you have one GCD for either Mind Flay (clipped) or VE (depending on the encounter) before you Mind Blast and refresh VT.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

ty for the suggestions. i've been using shadowpriest.com but i haven't been able to find a really helpful rotation/stat-->dps check on there so i tried maxdps. wont do that again :P

it seems like using sw later on in the fight helps increase dps a bit. i think i might have been clipping mind flay as well but i can't really tell >.>

As long as you remember to apply SW:P once you have five stacks of Shadow Weaving, it's ok.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

typically start boss encounters out with SW:P, VT, DP, MB, SW, MF, then keep dots up, blow MB and SW whenever the cooldown is up and throw in MF when the other conditions are met.
    Never ever start a fight with any spell other than Vampiric Touch or Mind Flay. This is very important if you are the only person in the raid providing that additional 3% chance to hit on the boss. Touch and Flay proc misery... You could, though be unlucky, start the fight with a string of misses. Imagine trying to start with a devouring plague and you miss... OUCH!

I always fade right before the pull, then use Vampric Touch -> Mind Blast -> Shadow Word Death -> Mind Flay (depends on fight if I let it tick all the way through) to 4-5 stacks, then Devouring Plague (also depending on fight) Potion of Wild Magic -> Shadow Word: Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    What I meant was: don't use VE on the dummy while testing dps

correct me if im wrong, but if you open with...

SW:P
    DP
    VT
    MB
    and then MFlay

wouldnt the MFlay refresh SW:P at 5/5 SW b/c thats what u have at the time of the refresh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I'm going to hell, and you're all coming with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Srsbznss
    correct me if im wrong, but if you open with...

SW:P
    DP
    VT
    MB
    and then MFlay

wouldnt the MFlay refresh SW:P at 5/5 SW b/c thats what u have at the time of the refresh?
    doesn't refresh damage motifiers. so if you cast swP first and mindflay at 5 stacks it will not reapply the SWP with shadow weaving so its gimped.