Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Discipline PWS spam

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrion
    So wasting mana on 15 persons who dont get damage and let the tank die is nice?
    O rly?
    Your a moron, the mana cost for disc to throw shields is extremely low, they get mana back when the shields are absorbed, they did this so disc can throw shields out to multiple people and to cast a shield as disc doesn't have a CD other than GCD. I have tried it in ulduar and naxx and I'm always topped off with mana. And those 15 people will take dmg, there is alot of aoe attacks in raids, especially during razorscale. And tank wont die if your doing this, you wanna know why? cause you have other healers in the damn raid. If the disc is just to heal the main tank then of course it's going to be difficult to spam shields on other people when focusing on the tank. You really should do your research on the class and look at what disc do on some of the ulduar fights, either that or stop posting please.

I like how most of you idiots are arguing against this by claiming "throwing multiple PW:S's out will cause the MT to die"...cause we all know a 25m raid only has 1 healer on the MT right?

This is an extremely helpful tool that Disc brings. There is A LOT of AE dmg in Ulduar..not only from bosses but from trash as well. Keeping shields flying around with PoM bouncing and a druids hots ticking is MUCH better than a Shaman spamming CH on 3 people...or a CoH Holy hitting 5 people.

I just copied this thread to my guilds forums and I believe this may be exactly what we have been missing...we're not hardcore by any means...but we are all geared for Ulduar but have been getting smoked by the heavy AE dmg. I'm hoping this will be the tipping point and help us start progressing in Ulduar

Wow, sounds extremely boring...I like that I can now use shields liberally, but I'm also throwing out Penance, Flash, PoM, POH, and the occasional Renew (sometimes I press the wrong key). ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Gomexus
    I like how most of you idiots are arguing against this by claiming "throwing multiple PW:S's out will cause the MT to die"...cause we all know a 25m raid only has 1 healer on the MT right?

This is an extremely helpful tool that Disc brings. There is A LOT of AE dmg in Ulduar..not only from bosses but from trash as well. Keeping shields flying around with PoM bouncing and a druids hots ticking is MUCH better than a Shaman spamming CH on 3 people...or a CoH Holy hitting 5 people.

I just copied this thread to my guilds forums and I believe this may be exactly what we have been missing...we're not hardcore by any means...but we are all geared for Ulduar but have been getting smoked by the heavy AE dmg. I'm hoping this will be the tipping point and help us start progressing in Ulduar
    This won't 'make' your raid successful, but it can definitely help - best of luck! ;D

Consider the following raid healer setup on a fights with persistant and substantial raid damage, e.g. Razorscale (I indicated 3 here, but change to 4, 5, whatever, w/ the understanding that you'd never want more than one disc priest working raid healing):

Scenario 1:
    • Resto Druid
    • Resto Shaman
    • Holy Priest

Scenario 2:
    • Resto Druid
    • Disc Priest
    • Resto Shaman or Holy Priest

In 1, there is a tremendous amount of healing power. But no matter how coordinated they are, there will be a lot of overlapping / wasted heals when two (or three) of these healers hit the same targets.

In 2, you have less overall healing power applied, but there are fewer people actually 'healing' taken damage, so less overlap and overheal. But by the same token raid survivability is enhanced because the disc priest's shield provides an instant effective heal of 7-10k (variable with spellpower and assuming glyphed) on a raid member almost every GCD (keeping PoM bouncing, of course, which will add even more healing done). While this doesn't restore all of the lost health, it also doesn't cause another raid healer's healing to be wasted, and it provides a buffer against death by further incoming damage before another healer's heals do the job.

As I mentioned earlier, the first time I took this approach effected a change in results, from where in previous attempts on Razorscale raid deaths were early and frequent, to where we took him down with only 1 raid casualty. Was this solely because of the PWS spam? No, I'm sure it was to no small degree because people were adapting to the fight. But it definitely helped.

Ooh - was about to /post when I realized I'd better preempt the edit I'd otherwise have to make to avoid being flamed (not like that won't happen anyway lol).... No, I am not suggesting that disc priests should primarily be raid healers rather than MT healers. Obviously single-target survival is a role to which we are highly well specialized. But by the same token, that unique mitigation we bring to tank healing can also be invaluable situationally in caring for the raid.[/list]

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick
    That unique mitigation we bring to tank healing can also be invaluable situationally in caring for the raid.
    I've noticed this on our malygos10 attempts (still cant get the healing quite right in phase3), before every vortex I would shield the entire raid, and get a load of mana back during vortex and instead of people falling down at 5% health they'd rather be at 25-30%.

Only casting PW:S is silly. Like Bigslike said "it provides a buffer against death by further incoming damage before another healer's heals do the job", this is the main power of Soul Warding. Just so you could prevent death by shielding without restrictions. But you still have your job to do, MT healing.

Like on Mimiron10, it's nice to pre-emptively cast PW:S on the entire raid between phases. But during phase 1, 3 and 4 you should keep the tanks up and focus on that, maybe target the petbomb's target and shield that player since they can 1-shot ranged players. Maybe you should just spam PW:S on the raid in phase 2, but PoH is much better to use.