Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lifebloom's Mana Mechanics

Since it seems a lot of people don't really know how much mana Lifebloom costs or how much of a difference letting Lifebloom bloom makes on a druid's mana usage, I think it's high time for a clear explanation of Lifebloom's mechanics.

These numbers are only true for a level 80 Resto Druid with 1 point in Tree of Life (ToL), 1 point in Nature's Splendor, and enough haste along with points in Gift of the Earthmother to reduce Lifebloom GCD to 1 second.

1. Basic facts about Lifebloom.

In 3.1, Lifebloom (LB) changed in several ways. Its 'base' mana cost was doubled (note: the base mana cost of LB is not affected by talents or gear), which has also doubled its mana cost with ToL. Also, Lifebloom now returns mana to the casting druid when LB blooms on its target (equal to half the 'base' mana cost of the spell, which, again, is not affected by talents or gear). The amount of mana returned when it blooms and the heal effect of the bloom multiply with the number of stacks on the target (a single stack of LB will bloom for its normal amount, whereas a triple stack of LB will now bloom for three times its normal amount). Though the mana cost of Lifebloom has been increased, allowing Lifebloom to bloom will make it a more mana efficient heal than it was pre-3.1.

2. Basic figures about Lifebloom: mana costs and returns.

Note: Mana values written in parenthesis represent the mana cost of Lifebloom with ToL and 2 piece t7 equipped.

Base mana cost (per cast) : 978 mana
    Mana cost with ToL (per cast) : 782 mana (733)
    Mana returned on bloom (per stack) : 489 mana

Total mana costs in ToL:
    • 1-stack of LB: 782 mana (733)
    • 2-stack of LB: 1564 mana (1466)
    • 3-stack of LB: 2346 mana (2199)

Total mana returned:
    • 1-stack bloom: 489 mana
    • 2-stack bloom: 979 mana
    • 3-stack bloom: 1468 mana

3. Different stacking/blooming strategies: mana usage (mp5).

Key (I use some short-hand to simplify the examples):
    • sl = seconds later (e.g. "10sl" = "10 seconds later").
    • #-bloom = number of stacks that have bloomed (e.g. "3-bloom" = "bloom of a 3x Lifebloom").
    • 1-LB = the act of casting Lifebloom (e.g. "1-LB every 8 seconds" means "cast Lifebloom every 8 seconds").
    • *Note: mp5 values with a single (*) are values obtained while having 2 piece t7 equipped.
    • **Note: mp5 values with a double (**) are the values obtained using 2 piece t7 and Glyph of Lifebloom.
    • Format Example: [No glyph or 2 piece t7] mp5 ([2 piece t7]*, [2 piece t7 and glyph]**)

It's a common practice to keep a 3-stack of Lifebloom "rolling" on a tank. Ignoring the initial mana cost to build up that 3-stack and assuming the stacks are refreshed with 1 second left on Lifebloom's duration, you can expect to be using the following amount of mana (in mp5) to keep Lifebloom "rolling" (refreshed):

• (8 second refresh) : 1-LB cast every 8 seconds (9 with glyph) = 488.75 mp5 (458.13*, 407.22**)

Now, taking into consideration the cost of building Lifebloom's stacks up and then letting it bloom, here are the mana cost (in mp5) for various stacking/blooming techniques (note: in these calculations, the mana returned from letting LB bloom is subtracted from the total mana cost to stack LB):

• (1 stack) : 1-LB, 9sl 1-bloom = 162.78 mp5 (135.56*, 122**)
    • (2 stack, 1 second refresh) : 1-LB, 1sl 1-LB, 9sl 2-bloom = 292.5 mp5 (243.5*, 221.36**)
    • (3 stack, 1 second refresh) : 1-LB, 1sl 1-LB, 1sl 1-LB, 9sl 3-bloom = 399.09 mp5 (332.27*, 304.58**)
    • (2 stack, 8 second refresh) : 1-LB, 8sl 1-LB, 9sl 2-bloom = 172.06 mp5 (143.24*, 128.56**)
    • (3 stack, 8 second refresh) : 1-LB, 8sl 1-LB, 8sl 1-LB, 9sl 3-bloom = 175.6 mp5 (146.2*, 130.54**)

4. Comparisons and Conclusions.

Keeping Lifebloom rolling costs 488.75 (458.13*, 407.22**) mana every 5 seconds, whereas "fast" stacking Lifebloom (building up Lifebloom's stacks in 3 GCDs) and then allowing it to bloom 9 seconds later costs 399.09 (332.27*, 304.58**) mana every 5 seconds, about 90 (126*, 103**) less mp5 used using this method. However, "slow" stacking Lifebloom (building up each stack every 8 seconds rather than right away) results in a total mp5 usage of 175.6 (146.2*, 130.54**), almost 313 (312*, 377**) mp5 less than keeping Lifebloom rolling, and 223 (186*, 274**) mp5 less than using the "fast" stacking method.

Keep in mind that there are other mechanics involved than just the mp5 used for casting Lifebloom. The HoT and the bloom are both just as important as the mana cost and using Lifebloom effectively requires that you understand each of these. Sometimes it may be better (for healing purposes) to keep Lifebloom stacks rolling, even at a high mp5 cost. Sometimes letting it bloom occasionally (especially if you can take advantage of the bloom to top a tank/target's hp) is a good idea, not only for mp5 purposes but also because the bloom can be a very strong and effective heal.

You also must recognize the risks and benefits of using certain strategies. The method of "slow" stacking Lifebloom results in the tank receiving less effective healing from the HoT since it won't always be at a full 3-stacks on that target. Likewise, allowing Lifebloom to bloom will require the use of additional GCDs to get it rolling again.

The actual strategy you use when rolling Lifebloom will hopefully depend on the situation and your healing assignment. If you feel inclined to use only one method over any other, that's your prerogative. Just realize that Lifebloom is both a complex and versatile healing spell that can, if used correctly, be a very effective tool for mana conservation and healing throughput.

--------------

If I've made any calculation errors or typos, etc, let me know and I'll fix them.

Edited: I’ve adjusted the numbers to include the mp5 usage when no Glyph of Lifebloom or 2 piece t7 are equipped. Please see the detailed notes under "Key" in section 3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Logic is not Automatic, it can be denied.

Re: Lifebloom's Mana Mechanics

Well written and explained, good job
    btw, with 5 talent points in gift of the earthmother the GCD will be 1.2sec not 1sec.

Btw Someone Pls Pin this!

I mentioned that you also needed enough haste along with those points in Gift of the Earthmother.

15+ Year Old Account

ahh right apologies, this makes ur thread perfect xD

can someone explain me - why does everyone think lifebloom costs 733 with ToL? this talent reduces cost by 20% only. 978 * 80% = 782, not 733
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I edited my post, saying that I was including t7 2 set bonus. I know that without the bonus the cost is higher.

Ty for your post, great job. Has any1 done the math for HPS and HPM In the different strategies that you mentioned, though?
    My main problem is still the extremly chancy nature of the bloom - most o the time it turns into an overheal , simply because of our human nature. Being human, we have a non instant reaction time. ( I won't even touch connection problem / laggs, just the human element). Which means that we will probably be beginning to look to refresh LB/ let it bloom about 2 seconds before the bloom. We see that currently the tanks health is low, and decide to not refresh it. Since usually LB stacking happens on the tank, and tank healing is NEVER done by one healer these days, it stands to reason that the druid is not the only one that saw the tank's poor state of health when he did. 2 seconds is quite a lot of time for most healers, enough for at least 1 big heal from at leadt one of the tanks other healers. Which will probably mean that most of your bloom will be done as overhealing.
    If this reasoning is wrong, please explain how.

With /cancelaura Lifebloom a tank can convert a lifebloom stack into some immediate healing.

Does anyone know whether this is intended or a bug?

it was a bug and it was fixed few days ago
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

15+ Year Old Account

Thankey for this post! I will try to make a rotation with Lifebloom like this from now on:

1. Rejuvenation.
    2. Regrowth.
    3. Lifebloom x1.
    4. Lifebloom x2 (when the first stack hits 1).
    5. Lifebloom x3 (when the second stack hits 1).
    6. Keep rolling it, but if the bloom effect can be neccesary, I let it bloom.

(If the tank needs more healing meanwhile, I cast a Nourish)

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    Thankey for this post! I will try to make a rotation with Lifebloom like this from now on:

1. Rejuvenation.
    2. Regrowth.
    3. Lifebloom x1.

So, basicly, what you are saying is that for 9 seconds at the beginning you are going to keep on tank a hoT that will heal heal him for 400 life/second? And then 9 more seconds with 800 per second. ( all numbers are a very rough estimation, ofc) While at the same time, you could have had a hot on tank for 1.4k life per second for those same 18 seconds. Sure, you lose a bit more mana. But you lose MUCH healing here, don't forget that. You are a healer, aren't you? And your job as a druid is usually provide a buffer to the tank with your hot. The strategy you described gimps that buffer by a fair bit for 2/3 of the time.
    Why can't you just stack LBs on the tank before the pull, and then drink? Thus making the initial LB cost zero. ( and do the other hots on the tank before drinking as well, btw)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by iLive

1. Rejuvenation.
    2. Regrowth.
    3. Lifebloom x1.

I would replace regrowth with Rej, since afer casting regrowth the /gcd has already ended if u press Rej just a bit before it finishs they will be on the tank at once.

Also the idea of rolling hots before hand is not very gd these days, it will just get u agro from some mob and u will die.

it depends on the fight yes, in some encounters getting aggro is sometimes difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.X
    Also the idea of rolling hots before hand is not very gd these days, it will just get u agro from some mob and u will die.
    Can't think of a single 25m ( or 10m for that matter) raid fight in which preHotting the tank will result in healer's death.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Volkogluk
    Can't think of a single 25m ( or 10m for that matter) raid fight in which preHotting the tank will result in healer's death.
    u praobbly havn't been to ulduar, anyway prehotting is cheating in my opinion.
    same way healbot and decusive is cheating.
    L2 be skilled and have fun xD

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Volkogluk
    So, basicly, what you are saying is that for 9 seconds at the beginning you are going to keep on tank a hoT that will heal heal him for 400 life/second? And then 9 more seconds with 800 per second. ( all numbers are a very rough estimation, ofc) While at the same time, you could have had a hot on tank for 1.4k life per second for those same 18 seconds. Sure, you lose a bit more mana. But you lose MUCH healing here, don't forget that. You are a healer, aren't you? And your job as a druid is usually provide a buffer to the tank with your hot. The strategy you described gimps that buffer by a fair bit for 2/3 of the time.
    Why can't you just stack LBs on the tank before the pull, and then drink? Thus making the initial LB cost zero. ( and do the other hots on the tank before drinking as well, btw)
    As I mentioned I would threw a Nourish if the tank needed more health meanwhile, but if the dmg is high I just fully stack Lifebloom.

I would replace regrowth with Rej, since afer casting regrowth the /gcd has already ended if u press Rej just a bit before it finishs they will be on the tank at once.

it depends on the fight yes, in some encounters getting aggro is sometimes difficult.
    You're right, but sometimes casting Regrowth right after an attacak can be very nice, but though I normally cast Regrowth before Rejuvenation.

15+ Year Old Account

I suppose you're a Paladin? You should know that Priest use Shield, Prayer of Mending and Renew, Shaman use Earth Shield and their hot and Druids just use all the hots they have. Remember being nr. 1 healer arent the most imporant matter of being a healer :P

i will forever ignore every one of your posts from this point forward. wow... i'm not even going to begin trying to explain how dumb that is.

as far as pre-hotting goes, you generate no threat unless the hot actually heals some amount of damage (or you cast the spell after the boss has been engaged). But by the time, the tank has actually taken damage you aren't going to be pulling aggro.

As a resto druid i alays prehot, always, incase soemthing goes wrong it might give the other healers time to land a bigger heal and it sets up my swiftmend incase its needed.

Never have i died from initial healer aggro at start of a fight, this isnt pre BC anymore.

I've always been a huge fan of lifebloom, but what I've found most effective is to just throw em on the tank whenever ya can spare the gcd. Usually my raid has me MT healing+raid, so Ill make sure at least 1 application is up+rejuv+regrowth, then throw in more apps of lifebloom if I can spare the gcd

15+ Year Old Account

3 stacks isn't efficient anymore

throw 1 on when u have time, let that thing bloom

throw another on later when u can

nourish/regrowth to top ppl off

I've been resto for 2 days and i know this