Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

51/7/13 Blood Tank Spec

Edit: I've rewritten this post since I've changed the spec so many times. Here is my planned spec with glyphs:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...6&version=9767

-Blood-
    Subversion - Increase the crit of my main attacks.
    Blade Barrier - A must have for my tank to maintain 5% damage reduction.
    Bladed Armor - As a tank I should have a lot of armor so it will increase my overall damage and threat.
    Scent of Blood - When I get hit, I get runic power for Death Coils.
    2h Weapon Spec - I'll use 2h, gives me more dps and threat.
    Rune Tap + Imp - Will help for damage spikes and aoe on my party.
    Death Rune Mastery - I'll use Death Strike to help self heal and give me Blood Runes for Heart Strike.
    Bloody Strikes - Heart Strike and Blood Boil will be my main aoe threat attacks.
    Veteran of the Third War - Gives me more hp and parry, dps and threat.
    Mark of Blood - Good for a boss to act as a damage mitigator.
    Abomination's Might - Help out the group, gives me more dps and threat, also gives str for parry.
    Bloodworms - Pretty much for self healing.
    Imp Death Strike - Since DS is already in my rotation, might as well up the damage and healing of it.
    Vampiric Blood - Acts as a Last Stand and helps me get my hp back fast, good for when I'm getting owned.
    Will of the Necropolis - Lowers incoming damage when I'm low on hp.
    Heart Strike - Great single and aoe target move.
    Might of Mograine - Increase the crit of my main attacks again.
    Blood Gorged - More dps and threat.
    Dancing Rune Weapon - Runic Power dump.

+Frost+
    Runic Power Mastery - More RP for DRW
    Toughness - I need armor as a tank, especially with no shield.

=Unholy=
    Anticipation - Need to dodge to avoid dying.
    Epidemic - Icy Talons lasts 20 sec, this will make Frost Fever last 21 sec.
    Morbidity - Death Coil is my Runic Power dump and faster DnD helps for aoe pulls.
    Ravenous Dead - More strength is more parry/threat/dps and gives me a better ghoul.

|Glyphs|
    Glyph of Death Strike - When I'm not doing Heart Strike, I'll Death Strike for minor healing and damage.
    Glyph of Vampiric Blood - 10 sec more is more survivability.
    Glyph of Rune Tap - A very strong self heal and good party heal.

Glyph of Blood Tap - Less damage to myself keeps me alive longer.
    Glyph of Pestilence - If I'm aoe tanking, I want everyone afflicted with diseases.
    Glyph of Raise Dead - It's convenient and saves money.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Re: 41/15/15 Blood Tank Spec

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles
    I'm trying to figure out a new tank spec for my Death Knight since I don't care for the Frost changes, I'm going for a 2h build with decent aoe threat, good single threat and most importantly, the ability to survive. Here is my planned spec with glyphs:

-Blood-
    Blade Barrier - A must have for my tank to maintain 5% damage reduction.
    Bladed Armor - As a tank I should have a lot of armor so it will increase my overall damage and threat.
    Scent of Blood - When I get hit, I get runic power for Death Coils.
    2h Weapon Spec - I'll use 2h, gives me more dps and threat.
    Rune Tap + Imp - Will help for damage spikes and aoe on my party.
    Death Rune Mastery - I'll use Death Strike to help self heal and give me Blood Runes for Heart Strike.
    Bloody Strikes - Heart Strike and Blood Boil will be my main aoe threat attacks.
    Veteran of the Third War - Gives me more hp and parry, dps and threat.
    Mark of Blood - Good for a boss to act as a damage mitigator.
    Abomination's Might - Help out the group, gives me more dps and threat, also gives str for parry.
    Bloodworms - Pretty much for self healing.
    Hysteria - Good to buff on a melee dps to kill bosses with enrage timers faster.
    Imp Blood Presence - More self healing.
    Imp Death Strike - Since DS is already in my rotation, might as well up the damage and healing of it.
    Vampiric Blood - Acts as a Last Stand and helps me get my hp back fast, good for when I'm getting owned.
    Heart Strike - Great single and aoe target move.

+Frost+
    Improved Icy Touch - Enemies hit me 6% slower.
    Toughness - I need armor as a tank, especially with no shield.
    Icy Reach - Good for pulling with Icy Touch.
    Icy Talons - 20% haste is more threat and white dps.

=Unholy=
    Anticipation - Need to dodge to avoid dying.
    Epidemic - Icy Talons lasts 20 sec, this will make Frost Fever last 21 sec.
    Morbidity - Death Coil is my Runic Power dump and faster DnD helps for aoe pulls.
    Unholy Command - Good for pulling back runaway mobs and casters.
    Ravenous Dead - More strength is more parry/threat/dps and gives me a better ghoul.

|Glyphs|
    Glyph of Death Strike - When I'm not doing Heart Strike, I'll Death Strike for minor healing and damage.
    Glyph of Death and Decay - 20% more damage is a lot more aoe threat.
    Glyph of Rune Tap - A very strong self heal and good party heal.

Glyph of Blood Tap - Less damage to myself keeps me alive longer.
    Glyph of Pestilence - If I'm aoe tanking, I want everyone afflicted with diseases.
    Glyph of Raise Dead - It's convenient and saves money.

Maaaaaaan your build is really BAD! cba to go and tell you all in details and why... You should read the forums more often for better (pro) builds. good luck

15+ Year Old Account

I gave detailed responses on why I got certain talents and was hoping for detailed responses on why those talents are bad.

Icy Talons - Not even frost tank get this since like 5 other people in the grp will bring it and you just wasted stats
    Icy Reach - You have taunt on a 8sec CD, and death grip... total waste
    Improved Icy Touch - out of all the wasted frost talents, this is the least wasted, but you still shouldnt get it

Unholy Command - really not needed, you have a normal taunt, and death grip recharges faily fast already
    Ravenous dead - probably not needed ... debatable

Improved rune tap - You have healers to heal you, normal rune tap is a good enough "OMG" button
    Blood worms - threat they make dont go to you, they die horribly fast, and provide pathetic amounts of heals
    Hysteria - You dont need to be taking more damage to make a slight more tps that you shouldnt need
    Improved Blood Presence - the "improved part" does nothing, and the 4% of your TANK dps is also nothing
    Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

better spec

but Blood Tank has a lot of varieties and im sure someone will suggest something similar but different

Im still not sure why you put points into certain frost talents for tps yet you skipped Dark Conviction and Bloody Vengeance both of which increase dmg dealt and thus threat.

15+ Year Old Account

I actually have read around on Elitist Jerks to help find a Blood Tank Spec but I really don't like their talent choices, they seem to focus on all the high damage talents with no thought into taking less damage. I can take my points out of Frost for more Blood but I'm keeping Rune Tap for sure. I'm not going to be tanking Ulduar, I'll be tanking normal and heroics instances and probably some Naxx, nothing serious.

Quote Originally Posted by badrsadiq

Maaaaaaan your build is really BAD! cba to go and tell you all in details and why... You should read the forums more often for better (pro) builds. good luck
    Tbh the elitist useless trolling posts like this guy made and the one further down really do show either how little ppl actually know or think that abusing someone actually makes them look good ... lol

comeon didn't you get out of kindergarden at least a few years ago what wrong with an actual constructive post explaining why his choice are best ...

these reponses just irritate me, if ppl have nothing usefull to say then don;t post.

Personally I am looking for a decent blood tank spec as well but the last place I would ask for help is here because of all the posts like this, does mmo rep not much good either.

If I am going to try advice would be get a standard built from either, the offical forums or elitist, and modify it to suite what you think works and try it, if it doesn;t change it again, and learn from there by experience.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

15+ Year Old Account

I revised the spec slightly after reading the comments.

I'm keeping Imp Icy Touch because it's one of the few talents that reduce the amount of damage I take.

Quote Originally Posted by dakhdoun
    6 points in Sudden doom and Necrosis are MUCH better spent on Rune Tap, Spell Deflection, and then last 2 in scent of blood just for that extra bit to make sure you can spam RS every time its up. Sudden doom is NOT a valuable tanking talent by any stretch of the imagination and really not worth it at all. Anything you can spam heartstrikes on should be stuck to you anyway - You're a blood tank and you're a joke if your single target threat isn't through the roof, so 3 points for about 3000 extra threat every 20 seconds on a target that you should be doing 4000-7000 TPS to at all times is a waste, ESPICIALLY if you're taking those points from Rune Tap and Spell Deflection.

Blood tank without Rune Tap is silly.
    Spell Deflection is a horribly weak talent disguised as a great talent
    only like 1/4 of all spells are affected by it... and even then you have about a 20% chance to proc it

Rune Tap isnt needed, I have 5-7 healers to do that for me

I revised the spec slightly after reading the comments.

I'm keeping Imp Icy Touch because it's one of the few talents that reduce the amount of damage I take.
    Better, but you really should take dark conviction and bloody vengeance

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare
    Better, but you really should take dark conviction and bloody vengeance
    What would those talents do for me as a tank? I don't really care for more damage and that's 8 points for 5% crit and 9% damage. It just doesn't make sense to me.

OP, you seem really keen on doing anything possible to reduce your incoming damage, but you seem oblivious to the fact that you need to maintain TPS as well. A tank that can't hold threat isn't a tank. Your healers may love you for the fact that they don't have to heal you as much, but your dps will hate you because you killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by dakhdoun
    Does Spell Deflection work on dragon breaths and related abilities? If not then yes it is not worth the 3 points, if yes then its fantastic. If no, I'd put the points into imp Rune Tap and make an oh-shit button that much better.
    Yep, It wont work on any aoe spell, only direct ones

1pt in rune tap is fine, 4pts i dont think it is

15+ Year Old Account

I understand that I need threat, but DKs have crazy threat anyways and so far threat isn't an issue, but after some testing with said build, I have too much Runic Power and am making adjustments to get Runic Power mastery and Dancing Rune Weapon.

thoughts;

You specced 15 points into Unholy, but not enough to take Unholy Blight?

You specced 15 points into Frost... Why? Anything further down than 8 points are really a waste to a bloodtank, after Lichborne nerf. Put them into Unholy ;0

Blood&Blight, I do love it, even past DS-hotfix.

Re: 51/7/13 Blood Tank Spec

Bloodworms are a waste of 3 points in anything but a levelling spec.
    Its already been said that the (minimal) damage they deal doesn't go toward your threat, their healing is negligible in a raid setting, and they will get killed immediately most of the time anyway.
    Save 3 points and drop em for somthing useful

I understand that I need threat, but DKs have crazy threat anyways and so far threat isn't an issue, but after some testing with said build, I have too much Runic Power and am making adjustments to get Runic Power mastery and Dancing Rune Weapon.

good threat (esp aoe) and has decent survivability, not 2 mention, u shouldnt have 2 much RP left over

aside from DnD, once u get aggro on aoe ur rotation is PS>IT>pestilence>BB>UB (or CE if theres a corpse)>DS>DS>DC

also spam BB 2 drop the death runes when u get down 2 just 2 targets, switch BB with HS

single target is pretty much the same just replace BB with BS and of course dont 4get 2 use icebound fortitude when u can and vampiric blood when u need it

gl and happy tanking
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Re: 51/7/13 Blood Tank Spec

I haven't read all the replys as you state you have changed the spec. Take the points out of Ravenous Dead, Runic Power Mastery, and Blood Worms and grab Dark Conviction and Bloody Vengeance. This will be a much better use of your points for threat generation, and has good synergy with Subversion. Also, with the introduction of dual specs, I see no reason for a blood tank to spend one point on Dancing Rune Weapon when you can instead take Hysteria as a buff for yourself when you want/need to build more threat or use it on another melee when you are well-ahead on the threat meter. I'd also consider dropping Mark of Blood for more points in Blood Gorged. Again, for threat generation reasons.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&n=Malsarys

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare
    Icy Talons - Not even frost tank get this since like 5 other people in the grp will bring it and you just wasted stats
    Icy Reach - You have taunt on a 8sec CD, and death grip... total waste
    Improved Icy Touch - out of all the wasted frost talents, this is the least wasted, but you still shouldnt get it

Unholy Command - really not needed, you have a normal taunt, and death grip recharges faily fast already
    Ravenous dead - probably not needed ... debatable

Improved rune tap - You have healers to heal you, normal rune tap is a good enough "OMG" button
    Blood worms - threat they make dont go to you, they die horribly fast, and provide pathetic amounts of heals
    Hysteria - You dont need to be taking more damage to make a slight more tps that you shouldnt need
    Improved Blood Presence - the "improved part" does nothing, and the 4% of your TANK dps is also nothing
    Of cource your going to take imp icy touch and hysteria!