Advice/critique sought by (re)newly Prot Pally

I just started tanking again, haven't tanked as Prot since T4/kara days.
    Top of my to-do list is tracking down a scribe with some decent/brand new glyphs.
    Also, getting the pants from H VH and the trinket from HoL.
    I have 70-odd of the 5-man badges left after gearing up for prot, and 13 "medium" badges. Any more badges in any quantity will likely come from me healing 25 mans.

Please critique my gear, enchants, gems, glyphs. Any advice/criticism is welcome.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nden&n=Bearkub
    I currently be.imba.hu as 388 while my Holy set was 478 last I saw.

Caveats : I am missing 2 glyphs, and currently am using Def / Stats elixirs during heroics, which put me at 543 def and 104.8 avoid.

-=- WOOF -=-
    -=- < BK > -=-
    Quote Originally Posted by Separate
    Quote from: July 16, 2009, 11:14:07 pm
    So cancel your shit, dont come crying to people who you think care.

Ive said it before in a thread and ill say it again. I fucking hate roast beef but i dont go into an Arby's every day and say "FUCK ROAST BEEF"

Re: Advice/critique sought by (re)newly Prot Pally

I'll try do my best

Gear :
    - Maybe you can try to loot this (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43500), nice skin, nice stats, and easily obtainable and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37872 in Violet Hold Heroic.
    - You're overcap in defense, but for the moment it may not be a problem, you'll have some stuff to down it later.

Glyphs :
    - Glyph of Divinity isn't very useful for us and I find that the Glyph of Spiritual Attunement is not as good as before (3.1 changes on Divine Plea), just check for those glyphs :
    * Glyph of Seal of Vengeance / Corruption (expertise with our tanking seal)
    * Glyph of Divine Plea (really useful with the 3.1 changes on Divine Plea)
    * Glyph of Consecration (for a smoother 9696 rotation)

Talents :
    - Divine Sacrifice is a nice talent but could be deadly. Lag, and you're dead.
    Rets have enough points to take it, so go for other talents.
    - I haven't tested Vindication on raid boss but I don't think it'll proc, so maybe 2 points to use elsewhere.
    - Improved Judgements : You just have to take 1 point in this talent (for our 9696 rotation)

Maybe you could try Seals of the Pure, it's a nice talent who gives more threat to our tanking seal.

I hope it'll help you

Quote Originally Posted by Lyudan
    - You're overcap in defense, but for the moment it may not be a problem, you'll have some stuff to down it later.
    Too much defense is never a problem. Defense rating stays a great stat, even if you have more than 540.

The term "cap" means "it gets useless after a certain point", so theres no reacheable "defcap".

* Glyph of Consecration (for a smoother 9696 rotation)
    With "smoother" you mean "complety destroyed" , right?
    Never ever ever use Glyph of Consecration, never never~ NEVER!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    Too much defense is never a problem. Defense rating stays a great stat, even if you have more than 540.
    More than 540 is useless, it doesn't provide anything...

More than 540 is useless, it doesn't provide anything...
    It increases the chance to...

-dodge
    -parry
    -block
    -be missed

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

-dodge
    -parry
    -block
    -be missed
    Beat me to it lol

-dodge
    -parry
    -block
    -be missed
    You gain more avoidance just by downing your def to the cap by changing stuff than stacking def.
    # 4.92 defense rating = 1 defense skill
    # 25 defense skill gives:
    * -1% chance to take a critical hit from melee or ranged (non-spell) attacks.
    * +1% chance to be missed
    * +1% chance to dodge, parry, and block (each).

Please stop spreading mysteries.

Defense rating is a bit worse than pure dodge rating in terms of avoidance.
    Dodge rating as affected by dimishing returns, defense rating is not.

In practical experience the difference is minimal.

Facts:
    -its not needed to reduce defense down to 540
    -more than 540 is not bad
    -more than 540 def saves the trouble of re-gemming when getting a new item with slightly less defense rating

Artefacts:

Miss is THE best avoidance stat in the game. It effects all enemy attacks, including those made while you are stunned, your back is turned, etc. It's not worth forgoing all other stats for it (since you'll never find that much defense on your gear), but if you're over don't just start dropping it.
    Looking for a great guild on Tichondrius?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyneside
    Miss is THE best avoidance stat in the game. It effects all enemy attacks, including those made while you are stunned, your back is turned, etc. It's not worth forgoing all other stats for it (since you'll never find that much defense on your gear), but if you're over don't just start dropping it.
    Give a "this"-high five!

Artefacts:

Miss has a stupidly low cap though - 16% from gear, meaning that it's hit very hard by DR. FWIW, the def cap talked about is a soft cap (i.e. it's still good, just less good after); it's good avoidance, it's great pre-102/4%, it's going to be worse than dodge though unless you're rocking ~30% dodge from items/buffs pre-DR, as you're slightly more than 33% of the way to the def cap, and generally about the same for the parry cap, so need to be at about 33% of the way to the dodge cap to get them to even out, as they're practically the same rating/%.

Gear overall seems fine; you're a tad under block cap, so something like the shoulders from heroic GD would be nice, 20 str on the weap, AN heroic trinket are probably the most important upgrades for you, talents are fine with a few minor changes - vindication won't work on anything you want it to work on really, those two would be better spent in conviction or maxxing out divinity.

Glyphs - for tanking, DP, SoV and salvation are kings; DP and salvation will probably be pricy though (200 for DP, 130 for salv for me the other day).

You're doing fine overall though, your enchant/gear choices are going fine, and your talents are overall decent choices.

THANK YOU all for your input thus far, i have lots to go on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Separate
    Quote from: July 16, 2009, 11:14:07 pm
    So cancel your shit, dont come crying to people who you think care.

Ive said it before in a thread and ill say it again. I fucking hate roast beef but i dont go into an Arby's every day and say "FUCK ROAST BEEF"