Question about agalon, and soft resets.

What if a raid were to engage algalon, wipe to him and then zone out completely before the timer is at 30 minutes.
    When the raid performs a soft reset will algalon still be on his timer?

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but I'd like to know exactly why it wouldn't work because to be honest I've never been too good understanding the mechanics of soft resets and that and this would probably help me a bit.

Re: Question about agalon, and soft resets.

I imagine it would not work, because you would already be entirely saved to the instance by the time you reached Algalon.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    I imagine it would not work, because you would already be entirely saved to the instance by the time you reached Algalon.
    Could you provide an example of what exactly gets reset when an instance undergoes a soft reset? I understand trash who's corresponding boss was killed will despawn, trash that was killed but the corresponding boss was not will respawn and certain event objects will be back. It seemed to me that when the soft reset is activated the instance resets to a form that's synced with the current state of the instance, unless it doesn't work like this or blizzard scripted Algalon in such a way that his timer persists through soft resets. Sorry for any trouble and thank you for your response.

A soft reset does what's defined as actions for a soft-reset of a given instance
    Which for Ulduar, is not necessary the same as for any other instance.

Algalon is once per hour, not once per evening. Hence a soft-reset wouldn't work.

A soft reset is what it says, a "reset" of the instance. The game reads the instance 30 minutes after the last person leaves the instance (assuming no one goes back in) and resets it according to which bosses are alive or dead.

That is, if a boss is alive but some of it's associated trash was cleared, that trash will respawn. If a boss is dead, and some of its associated trash was left alive, that trash will despawn. These are just general actions associated with soft resets. Each individual instance has its own exceptions to this rule and/or additional actions performed.

Therefore, even if something like your suggestion was possible under the general soft reset rules, Blizz would likely just build in an exception to the rule. More likely is that they just programmed Algalon's despawn timer to be separate from soft resets, so as to make him despawn after an hour, regardless of soft resets.
    If you don't like it, go on the internet and complain.

It'll most likely work like the mount run in ZA. As soon as you banged the gong (and in this case, open algalon's room with the key), a timer will start. When the timer is over, algalon will despawn.

kriS411

Quote Originally Posted by Boson
    It'll most likely work like the mount run in ZA. As soon as you banged the gong (and in this case, open algalon's room with the key), a timer will start. When the timer is over, algalon will despawn.
    This!

Thats explains it pretty well.