Thread: SP on Mainhand

SP on Mainhand

In my guild we have a protection Paladin, who is using SP on his Mainhand (Last Laugh).

My knowledge about protection paladins aint that big, but as far as I have read and figured out, they aint as dependant on SP as they were in TBC (correct me if I am wrong)

Every poster I have seem suggests accuracy, potency or maybe Mongoose as a MH enchant. No-one suggests SP.

I just would like to know if SP is useful at all (he says it boosts his threat, even though I think accuracy or potency would be better)?

Thanks for your help, and pardon the intrusion.

Fluffy bear out

Re: SP on Mainhand

20 Str translates into 25.3 str, that's 50.6 AP and another 21.3785 dam on SotR; the BV and the extra HotR damage will outweigh the extra consec, SoV and JoV damage from the 14.4 SP. Also, 20 str is the best mitigation enchant for weapons.

5 spellpower is roughly equal to one strength.

In other words, potency beats spellpower in terms of pure TPS, but accuracy is better if all you want is TPS.

If i tank i use mongoose or strength , but i guess i dont and any threat issuses, so i go for mitigation, str boosts block value fyi

I was under the impression that all paladin damage spells scaled the same with AP as with SP, so 50 AP would give the same benefit to consecration, seals, etc as 50 sp, but would also buff non-spells like white damage, HotR, etc.

If this is still the case, then 20 str will always beat 50 spell power in every way, as someone above pointed out, 20 str = 50.6 AP with kings and talents. The only reason to take SP over str would be if you plan to toss spot-heals in your tank gear (probably a bad idea), and even still, if you're doing this, may as well at least swap to your healing weapon.
    Main: Enhance Shaman
    Current alt status:
    80 Unholy DK - 80 Feral Druid - 80 Disc Priest
    80 Ret Paladin - 80 Arcane Mage - 80 Prot Warrior
    77 Warlock - 80 Marks Hunter - 75 Rogue

I participated in the legendary Bacon thread.

I believe from all the theorycraft done on the spellpower debate, the general consensus is that SP is rather useless to have as an enchant, when you can go for much better tank oriented enchants.

Reason being is that most paladin tanking abilities scale much better with AP rather than spell power, the reasons and a little math for it have been mentioned in the thread already.

I think the only case where spell power wins out in terms of threat generation is when it comes to consecration, and only then when you have a substantial number of mobs on you. Even then, I believe the gap between spell power and something like potency is more or less irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Haskel
    I was under the impression that all paladin damage spells scaled the same with AP as with SP, so 50 AP would give the same benefit to consecration, seals, etc as 50 sp, but would also buff non-spells like white damage, HotR, etc.

If this is still the case, then 20 str will always beat 50 spell power in every way, as someone above pointed out, 20 str = 50.6 AP with kings and talents. The only reason to take SP over str would be if you plan to toss spot-heals in your tank gear (probably a bad idea), and even still, if you're doing this, may as well at least swap to your healing weapon.
    65 SP ench... and for Zomg, HS scales twice as well with SP as AP.