15+ Year Old Account

Dualspec: PVE Tank + PVE Tank

I was wondering if there are any people who currently picked two tanking-dedicated specs, so far I havent seen anyone using this combo...

as an MT my chances of ever being a healer/dps'er in a raid are next to nothing, so I was wondering if others who chose the path of tank+tankspec could perhaps share their opinions on its usefullness

in case you're wondering "why twice the same spec?", I am ofcourse talking about something like a pure max threat as one spec and max migitation as the other

Re: Dualspec: PVE Tank + PVE Tank

pure mitigation tank build does enough threat that it's not really a problem, unless you're aoe tanking a crapton of stuff in which case there's only MSS which will help you, and only by 4%.

15+ Year Old Account

To elaborate, heres two example "specific"-tank-specs;

AoE Tanking (0-56-15)

Main goal: making aoe tanking easy in case you feel lazy (or like to fight for threat with the paladin ) it lacks Rend & Tear, Infected Wounds and utilizes KotJ/MMS/Feral Agression.... Glyphs could perhaps be Maul+FR+SI to compensate the use of DPS gear, if used at all

Single/Duo-Target Tanking (0-61-10)

Has the basics, infected wounds can be skipped if you always have a frost DK in your raids, iLotP is a personal must for me as the only feral in raids but I guess on average, a logical alternative could be infected wounds and iLotP traded for the 4% dps boost from master shapeshifter...

anyway you get the general idea... is it worth it, for someone who doesnt mind the inferiour DPS as solo that comes with tankspecs and who wont fill any role besides tanking, to have a duo-tankspec with different glyphs/focusses?

beeh I'm starting to confuse myself, probably a good idea to get some sleep... give you all a chance to let this info sink in

15+ Year Old Account

I agree with getefix -- the standard tank build (something like this, with a few points being optional/movable) pulls enough threat and mitigation that it's not a problem. Distinction between massive threat and massive mitigation can be made easily with gear (e.g., substituting high stam and defense gear for medium stam and more agi/ap/hit/crit).

Both of your builds are lacking OOC... it's much better to have a point there than to cap KotJ (5% extra damage once per minute while sacrificing armor is not as important as one free attack more often). As for AoE, rend & tear is often quite valuable; for example, a dps warrior in the group would put up deep wounds on many mobs, which you'll be mauling.

Personally, I have a bear spec and a cat spec. It's nice to be able to switch between bosses/pulls as necessary, as we run with 3 tanks and rotate tanks to offspec on fights that require less. On a hybrid fight, I may go either bear or cat spec in threat gear, depending on the severity of the damage to be taken and the percentage of time spent tanking/dpsing.

15+ Year Old Account

You're right, I totally negated the factor of gear on its own.. some food for thought I guess

about OoC - for tanking I find it absolutely useless - unless I'm damaging a target that I'm not tanking, its hard to empty that ragebar... when swipespamming - well in aoe situations a swipe is usually instant-100-rage, and on bosses the average crits combined with damage taken always seem to make sure my rage bar is looking pretty and red

about OoC - for tanking I find it absolutely useless - unless I'm damaging a target that I'm not tanking, its hard to empty that ragebar... when swipespamming - well in aoe situations a swipe is usually instant-100-rage, and on bosses the average crits combined with damage taken always seem to make sure my rage bar is looking pretty and red Smiley
    Thsi might be true if the Boss is Actually hittn you, but I find OOC just the only thing tha keeps your ollin in an Two Tanks one Boss Situation were you don't have the Aggro all the Time.

dont by shy ffs cats r owning now i use dual pve tank / pve cat mostly im tanking tho when my raid dont need me as tank im @ one of top 3 spots as damge done/dps having mongoose enched TV on me and all rest from naxx25/os [ new eq im using 4 tanking as its my main spec in guild :/ ]
    cry out