Need A LOT of help with disc pvp!

Hey guys, I've looked around and can't find any really good pvp disc guides to get me started in arena. I have a good spec and glyphs and am working on getting pvp gear, but I honestly have no idea how to work a disc priest (been a dedicated holy raider and have never pvp'd really).

So throw any suggestions you have at me, what are priority spells, how to gem, when to use penance and PS, how to properly kite, when to use fear, how to drink etc.

Again I am completely clueless when it comes to pvp so any help would be really appreciated!

I will be running with a feral druid friend of mine (2v2) who is fairly geared and knows what he's doing if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need A LOT of help with disc pvp!

Co-ordinating CC's with the druid is key.

you drink when you know your partner wont be bursted in 3 seconds. It helps if your feral buddy can kill, and re-kill hunter/lock/dk pets.

you need to help kill the kill target, a defensive priest (from start to end) is less efficient than those that can holy fire/mb/penance/swd to help druid, or any comp of those spells you feel works best for you (obviously swd is for last though to get a nice 4k-6k combination of dmg with a prior spell).

vs mages, be aware of where your positioned, if your in LoS and casting penance or any holy/disc spell, you WILL get counter spelled, and you WILL die or your partner will. Also, vs any mage, Shadow Word: Death the sheeps before they go off to break them yourself, saves a trinket.

have him innervate you when necessary, and be able to protect innervate or LoS to prevent purge/devours/dispels.

your feral buddy needs to be really good, and so do you.

you need to have right spec and glyphs.

Edit; Hot key's, macros, and not clicking helps too.

Don't worry I keybind and turn with my mouse. And my spec and glyphs are pretty cookie cutter from what I know. My druid partner did some research and found a pretty cookie cutter pvp build for me. Using glyphs of PW:S, Inner Fire, and Penance.

Any good tips on kiting / pillar humping? I'm kinda getting used to it but it's still annoying to do. Would it help me a lot if I got run speed enchants on my boots, or are these actually a necessity?

What about renew / PoM? How often / when do I use these?

When I have a chance to be offense, do I strictly stick to work on mana burning or is there ever a time to help with dps? If I do dps do I use SW:P, Penance, mind blast, etc or what?

Should I be gemming / enchanting only defensively this early in getting my gear (only 122 res so far), as in stacking on the +stam and +res?

What meta gem should I use? Possibly the stun time reduction one?

As far as glyphs go, Pain Suppression is a great alternative to PW:S honestly, especially if getting stunlocked is a problem for you.  It gives you leeway when you're learning to prepare for incoming damage and for learning stun cycles against rogues/druids/paladins.

As far as talents go, Imp Renew and Absolution are both relatively minor, in relation to having 3% more crit (Holy Spec) and 15% less mana on one of your major heals(Flash) and 10% more crit on it when your partner/self is low on health. Also, only 1 talent in Blessed Recovery/Enlightenment is kinda "useless". Better to take a point out of Enlightenment and Grace(Since it can't be on both people at once, and has a great proc rate on penance, 50% is often enough) or both points out of Grace, and fill out BR, if you truly want BR, or get Divine Aegis.

Tactics:
    Penance- as far as I've noticed, spam it, but if you're being targetted by anything that can interrupt, always break the Penance cast after the first pulse if low on health to bait a kick.  If you don't and decide to try to wait longer, if the opponent has decent reflexes, you're gonna get locked out of heals and probably die.

Dispels- Use them early, but beware getting so absorbed in trying to get off beneficial buffs that you forget to heal yourself/your partner.  Keeping the amount of permanent buffs on your opponents as few as possible is CRUCIAL, especially against druids, for Innervate.  Watch for UA when fighting locks, it hurts.

Renew- Use it of course if you have the mana and the incoming damage is high, but when damage is light (High CC/Drain teams) focus on using PoM/Shield with occasional Penances with Flashes depending on damage taken.  Shields give you 4.5% of your max mana when they pop on you, and 2.5% when they pop on an ally.  For most PvP geared priests that's about 1k mana back.  PoM is also VERY efficient, especially if you are fighting a lock/healer combo, because you just hug your teammate while the PoM bounces between you 2.

Inner Fire- This buff must NEVER drop.  This buff dropping WILL be the death of you.  Refresh it at 12 charges AT THE LEAST.  Waiting any longer against any quick attacking melee (rogue/hunter/ANYpet) will kill you in a single disable (Silence/stun/lockout).

As far as gear goes, I highly recommend getting to AT LEAST 6% hit rating, through the Deadly Ring, Deadly Hit neck, and the Belt/Boots from WG (Titan-forged -- of Dominance).  You might not think you need alot of hit, until that fear you casted to get the rogue offa you for a second gets a resisted(MISS) in the combat log.  Also, the movespeed enchant goes a long way when trying to get away from CCed warriors/rogues.

EDIT: Talent additions and Hit rating.

have a tailor make you the full frostsavage set. its like 500 resilience. stats aren't so great but its a good start.

your healing primarily with PoM and penance (use borrowed time to make it quick as possible) and getting of a flashheal on your teammate when possible.

when you are focused you can usually get a dps to interrupt your manaburn leabing your holy tree open to flashheal/penance uninterrupted (unless its a rogue they have like 11 interrupts).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by patrin
    have a tailor make you the full frostsavage set. its like 500 resilience. stats aren't so great but its a good start.
    300 resilience and almost no spellpower.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    300 resilience and almost no spellpower.
    Spellpower doesn't do much when you're dead.

Resil > Spellpower, hands down unless you're Shadow, because you have 15% damage reduction and your job is to kill, not live.

Edit: Fixed a grammar error (last your was you're XD)

Say I get targeted for a shit ton of nuking, what spells are priority, and at what point do I heal and at what point do I fear?

well it all depends on what your partner is.

You use fear in co-ordination with your partners CC, done so is usually win for the priest team. if your feral friend can drop someones hp pretty fast, he can cast a quick cyclone on the healer, he WILL trinket, when he does you have to be there to fear to get the win, a full fear will be death on a dps with no cool downs.

When/how to kite: When? You kite around a pole whenever you are kill target. How? if its a rogue or warrior, you pretty much can't get away unless your partner is very good on giving you peel support. Anything else, your partner should handle really well, druids "can" root, which makes rogues/warriors that much easier (which is why i prefer boomkin as my partner, but feral is not bad either).

if your being nuked, bubble/PoM is usually first spells you want to cast. and flash heals, be careful of mind freeze, pummel, kick, earth shock, and CS, if your ff'd and that happens to you, you are dead.

use power infusion when off CD and are in a position to get chain mana burns, or dps chain going. PI has low CD with absolution, makes it great and makes you more mana efficient (sometimes i go matches without ever casting PI because i forget, but sometimes i cast it 4-6 times in 1 match).

and for the others, spell power makes a difference, just as much as resil if your good, you can have 2055 SP and 900 resil with the "good" gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Serious
    Say I get targeted for a shit ton of nuking, what spells are priority, and at what point do I heal and at what point do I fear?
    First things first:  It depends ENTIRELY upon the amount of incoming burst.

First thing you should ALWAYS do if taking damage is to Shield yourself and take note of the amount of HP you lost in the first bit of DPS they did.  If the damage was light, renew/PoM and try to kite a little, but don't blow your fear yet.

If the shield gets popped rather quickly, make sure Inner Fire has plenty of charges, and Penance yourself for at least 1 tick. If fighting a rogue (or anyone with an interrupt), stop it after the first pulse, maybe second if you're feeling lucky, but NEVER let it channel the full duration, you will get interrupted and locked out of heals almost guaranteed.

If the shield lasts at least 4-5 seconds (Opponent's DPS is not bursty, more sustained, like a lock or Fury warrior or some DKs(especially in Frost Pres) or their DPS just plain sucks), attempt to Mana Burn the caster if there is one, especially healers.  This will OFTEN times lead to a kick from the DPS, due to not wanting their healer to go OOM.  After the interrupt, you're free to cast unless it's a good rogue, but even then, he only has Blind(major cooldown, if this is popped you're usually happy XD) Gouge(MUST be in front of you, don't let this happen, use your mouse to face away) or Kidney Shot(Which 9 times out of 10 it's on CD due to JUST being used on you in the opener, it's CD is 20 secs, so learn to memorize it's CD, or use a CD timer for opponent's CDs) Or Vanish + opener.

Even telling you all of this, 80% of it is practice, practice, practice.  You're mostly gonna have to learn on your own how each opponent reacts to spells you cast and how you can best adapt to the situation to come out on top.  Proper use of both your shadow and holy spells WILL be mandatory in coming out on top, so if you and your partner(s) are near full and have shields or whatever protective spells on, go on the (slight)offensive and start burning mana, ESPECIALLY if the interrupter is targetting you.  9 times out of 10, this will procure an interrupt and will leave you with a good 6-7 seconds of unmolested healing, followed by easy mana burning till they decide to interrupt your mana burns again.  XD

Good luck, hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushuna
    Spellpower doesn't do much when you're dead.

Resil > Spellpower, hands down unless you're Shadow, because you have 15% damage reduction and you're job is to kill, not live.
    So with the full Frostsavage set, you are going to be dead after doing no damage, as opposed to being dead after possibly killing one of the others. Great plan.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Wait... Disc priests do damage? You support lolsmite? Or is reading comprehension just not a skill you possess? OP said he's a disc priest, NOT a Shadow Priest. My last line was saying that Resil > Spellpower UNLESS(Key word here, pay attention now) you're shadow. I'm sorry I had to spell it out, forgot not everyone can read well >.>.

Feral druids don't have sap and can't really kill other healers with straight up damage like rogues, so your only option is coordinate CC and damage for kills and or try for mana burns and wittle their mana down. Wait for the enemy healer to be in a bad spot and have your druid feral charge/bash them, a very easy way to get 4-5 mana burns off. Of course he'll of had to cyclone the dps right after the charge or they will stop you.

This comp should farm paladin teams this season, and will have a very hard time against shamans. Druid's shouldn't be a problem just watch for hibernate and dispel innervate, use mass dispel around pillars when they won't let you get LOS. Priest/Rogue you can beat but it requires a very good start. If your druid gets sapped it's over. Keep the rogue off your priest at all costs using cyclone/maim and cleanse poison to help them get distance. If you can accomplish this then the rogue will either die to massive burst to his back while he tunnels the priest or be forced to fight a bear 1on1. Either way you win. The only real way you can lose is if the priest/rogue get 10 seconds of alone time with your priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushuna
    Wait... Disc priests do damage? You support lolsmite? Or is reading comprehension just not a skill you possess? OP said he's a disc priest, NOT a Shadow Priest. My last line was saying that Resil > Spellpower UNLESS(Key word here, pay attention now) you're shadow. I'm sorry I had to spell it out, forgot not everyone can read well >.>.
    is lolsmite our only damage spell?

are you a priest, or just a troll?

disc is disc yes, i don't see it as a healing tree or dps tree, just a punching bag tree. but it can do dmg, if you just sit in back and do nothing but heal, you are not being an efficient priest, if the dps is at 6k hp, don't you think a holy fire/MB/penance/swd combo would do great, it takes max of 5 seconds to get that off, and you dish out atleast 6-10k dmg, that swd can be thrown in at anytime where its necessary.

point is, disc priest arn't just punching bags, they have the spells to heal and dps, why just do 1 or the other we can do both.

And you must be another who fails at reading comprehension, and quite possibly didn't even read the entire thread. I'm not explaining my response to someone who can't even type correctly.