Page 1 of 2
LastLast

need suggestions on Thorim 25man

hi, my guild just recently started attempting Thorim 25man and i am wondering if some people could give me some suggestions on how to handle the arena adds that spawn and possibly how many people do u send into the hallway to get to thorim.. is there a certain order you kill the mobs in the arena in? better stack or spread? as for hallway, ranged or melee going through there?... Whats the best setup to use for a first kill on thorim? thanks in advance

Re: need suggestions on Thorim 25man

We did it with melee+hunters+3 tanks in arena. One tank pulls away the adds that whirlwind and the hunters take them down.
    1 tank, range dps and 2 healers went tunnel. We found it faster to sheep 2 of those adds since they can stun the tank twice in a row. This makes them hard to control with trigger-happy dps (unless you happen to have paladin or DK tanks in your guild). If you must, use Bloodlust while in the tunnel. Getting to phase 2 with it on cooldown is better than not reaching it at all.

On 10 we had 1 tank, 2 DPS and 1 healer in the tunnel, with a tank, 2 heals and 3 DPS in the arena. If you have a mage, there's some shield they can spellsteal (sorry I'm being vague, but I was in the tunnel) that makes them pretty well invincible, so it's almost like having a second tank down there.

We had 2 DK tanks in tunnel, 2 healers (paladin/druid), and all the casters.

In the arena we had 2 tanks (2 druids yesterday), and 4 healers, and all the melees
    (we didn't have enough melee yesterday, so we put the 2 SP and a mage in there aswell).

That is pretty much what we will be doing everytime we try him, 2 healers is enough in tunnel, and arena is the hardest to handle, all though i will try to see how it goes with 3 tanks in arena, as that, again, is the hardest to handle, and wrong handling of the adds in there will make healers die, and eventually ends up in a wipe..

GL

Youtube channel: Youtube channel
    Warcraftmovies.com channel: Warcraftmovies channel

kriS411

We use 10 Ppl in the Tunnel, 15 in Arena.

Arena just Stands in the inner circle, 2 Tanks handle all the mobs, everyone AoEs, Melee AutoHit on the Champions while AoEing.

Add my vote to "ranged in hall, melee in arena".
    We kept most (all? forget) of our hunters in the arena as well, to help with MDing adds. Rogues ToTed stuff to tanks. We have some extremely effective melee so I think that helped. We were able to spare a lot of dps to the hall (had one fury warrior with us even, though he died to the flame trail thing). You may want to vary based on who's getting overwhelmed, IE more dps in arena if you get piles of mobs.

6 heals, split evenly between both rooms

I was in the hall so I don't know exactly, but I believe the arena had one tank keep the whirlwind mobs away from the group, and then the rest were aoed down. I think the priority was on keeping the big group of adds manageable, as long as the whirlwind mobs were under control.

Tunnel, we brought two mages (and an elem) and sheeped/hex'd left/right for first two pulls. Killed center, broke one out and killed, then other. Move forward, repeat. Kill first miniboss, get to corridor and up the stairs asap, dps adds up there once second miniboss is aggro'd. I forget what we did exactly here but iirc we focused down the healers,then the rest.

Thorim himself wasn't that tough, just spread out, avoid the aoe, hope your healers are good. (IE, read the list of his last-phase abilities, minimize the effects of those abilities, collect loot).

Deleted

Yesterday we started wit Thorim 25 aswell and boy what a wipe fest we had all night :'(.
    The bad problem is that we dont know what we doing wrong.

Tunnel group reaches last miniboss and gets him to 40% till the hard mode timer is on 0, so we suppose this is good.
    But problem is in arena where our tanks get shredded like hell.
    What we do is the following thing (maybe you guys can see what we do wrong)

We have all melee + hunter + 2 mages in arena, we spread out under the balcony. We kill the first 2 ww guys asap and then the tanks group up and we AOE as much as we can till another 2 ww guys are down. Then we start on killing ww guys single target till their dead and AOE again, this we repeat but when hard mode timer reaches 0 our tanks start to die.
    Also i heard we need to mass dispell but can somebody tells me when exactly (how can we see when), cause i think our priests dont know also when exactly.

In tunnel we have 1 druid tank, 1 DK tank, 2 locks, 1 mage and a balanced druid and ... cant remember exdactly what others :-\.

Do you have to balance it out perfect or you say that tunnel or arena group is more important ? Is it better do just reach thorim when hard mode timer is on zero ... i really dont know what we doing wrong and how we can improve it. Since our only problem is keeping the tanks alive in arena for another 15-20 seconds.

Last question, do you guys use another special spell inside arena like fear or something or is the only thing the mass dispell that needs to happen in arena part ?

thx for the help in advance and i hope with your help we can finally down him tonight.
    10 man this boss is so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpturius

...In tunnel we have 1 druid tank, 1 DK tank, 2 locks, 1 mage and a balanced druid and ... cant remember exdactly what others :-\...

... i really dont know what we doing wrong and how we can improve it. Since our only problem is keeping the tanks alive in arena for another 15-20 seconds...
    try use 3 tanks @ arena and 1 @ tunnel with some mages 2 CC there...
    cry out

Deleted

Still dont understand when and why we need mass dispell ? is it for the auras that the healers give ?

you need mass dispell to remove the shield from the phat dorf (it absorb pretty much dmg)

our guild had the same issues at Thorim even in 2nd kill next reset
    we used 2 aoe tanks at the arena and every ranged inside the tunnel with druid tank and 2 sheeps
    SP's stay out since they are the best aoe class, and their mass dispell is essential for faster kills

kill the champions first no matter what (the add which WW in the arena) then kill evokers or w/e their name was (the adds which cast shield on them selves)
    u will see much absorb in the middle of the fight that coz of these evokers

tunnel should not take more than 4-4.5 min if they was sheeping and waiting for tanks agro
    after the first mini boss they sheep one agro the 2nd and kill him and agro the rest without touching them till the 2nd mini boss is down then kill the sheep and who ever still alive w8 if the 3 min still not done yet run to the balcony and jump all at once or u might see the boss evaded, or you will end with dead people up at the balcony coz they slacked at the jump

we use 7 healers 5 at the arena and 2 inside
    if u have extra healers let them respec DPS or 4th tank at the arena if extra palas/druids

even on farm status he is still hard till we clear Ulduar 3-4 more times to be geared enough for the encounter

1 Tank, 1 Healer and at least 5 DPS in the tunnel. Rest stay in arena. 3 tanks in the arena makes it easy mode. Stay your melee in a group with a priest and let the priest MC a Warbringer for the +20% Haste Aura. Have some Shadow Priests / Mages / etc. Just spam AOEing. Let your melee focus the big guys that whirlwind first. As long as your melee with the haste aura can smash the big guys your AoE can mop up the little guys and it should be a breeze.

Hmm, trouble in the arena.

We used two DK's today, with melee and hunters there for damage. The DTPS is manageable at 1.5k average and 3.5k highest peak, I was healing them with only Lifebloom and Rejuv without a problem.

The fat dworfs actually wiped us a few times because the shields didn't get dispelled fast enough - it absorbs like half a million hp of damage or some other silly amount, piles o mobs starts killing random people after a while.

14 tries, no loot. Did get him to 30% but that try he wiped out the melee with his first Chain Lightning
    Miles @ World of Logs - The next generation combat log analysis tool.
    Crusaders' Coliseum Stats

We use two warrior tanks in the arena with Vigilance on each other, then all the melee stacked with them. The melee and tanks sit in the middle and the healers on the outside of the circle. Each tank is assigned a side to watch for adds, with the infinite taunts created by the cross vigilance buff the healers should never get hit, when the smaller packs run towards the healers the tanks edge out and clip them with thunder clap then drag them back into the kill zone. DPS should focus on the larger mobs, the whirlwinds and divine storms will take care of the smaller adds.

We use 2 shamans (for chain heal) and a priest healers (for mass dispell).

When we switched to this tactic the arena phase become a joke, and we just had to wait for the ranged DPS to stop killing each other down the tunnel

In Gauntlet we use 1 tank 2 healers and 4 ranged dps; shamans ( hex ) and mages ( poly ) for cc; makes it alot easier inside.

Rest outside; 2 tanks is better then 1. Keep them tanked; melee nuke the healing type mobs very very fast. Rest is tank and keel

We either use a single pally tank in the arena or 2 DKs in tank gear/dps spec. We just do aoe "dps" basically, and things are glued to us. When the pally is single tanking the arena, I'll pop frost presence and pick up the next wave of adds if we got overwhelmed for some reason.

I personally think the 2 DK in the middle thing works well, because then the pally is in the gauntlet. He can just throw down a consecration so even if he gets stunned, he'll hold everything easily. We also use a feral druid in the gauntlet who tanks an add on the miniboss (I guess, never been over there).

As far as numbers go, all of our ranged goes gauntlet and all of our melee stays arena. We wiped a couple times this week (after 1 shotting it our first attempt...?), and each time we gave the gauntlet an additional dpser, because the arena is easy mode if you have 2 DKs...tanking or DPSing.

Melees in the arena should use disarm (rogues, warrior), so the champions wont whirl and the damage (if they charge any healer) isnt so high.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terrordar&n=Siffe

Quote Originally Posted by Siffe
    (if they charge any healer)
    Another reason DKs make great tanks for the arena. Just DG them back into the aoe as soon as they jump on someone else.

edit: Oh snap 900 posts!

More squishy melees should definitely stay out of the corridor, since the melee mobs there seemingly randomly do an up to 26k Impale on a nearby target.

The main problem my guild is having in the encounter atm though is Thorim's Chain Lightning which is just terrible if the raid has a lot of melee dps. It's a 0.5 sec cast and since commonly you have 2-3 tanks on him and the other lightning ability he uses requires people to move, the Chain Lightning can easily zap a few melee to death at a time. After losing their dps it becomes harder and harder to keep people up since he stacks a damage buff on himself.

I wish Blizzard wouldn't make encounters so blatantly melee unfriendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Neba
    I wish Blizzard wouldn't make encounters so blatantly melee unfriendly.
    It's awesome, isn't it?

At least Mimiron is easier for melee. 1/14 is better than they usually do

Our problem has been once we get to Thorim and engage the boss we just get overrun with adds. Should they being dying before the gauntlet teams touches the boss?
    "We speak the dragons' language of flame and rage. They speak our language of fury and honor. Together we shall weave a tale of destruction without equal."