Help!!!!! Spriest DPS!?

I've been raiding for a short time in my priest and up till now i've been doing good dps for heroics which i often do now, my gear: ???
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...aron&n=Methids
    As i am told it should allow me to get 3k dps on IF dummy with a rotation of VP DP MB MF SWP yet i cant get past 2.5k :'(

I came to the forums to find some answer as i have searched and cant seem to better myself.

Re: Help!!!!! Spriest DPS!?

This question seems to be asked once every couple of days.

Firstly ignore target dummy dps, it means little due to the fact the sample data is highly corruptable and target dummies hardly simulate boss encounters.

Instead target dummies can be useful for practicing but it isn't the raw dps figure you should be analysing. You should be checking to see how often you are casting MB and how close is that to 7 seconds? Are your dots up 95% of the time? How many MF ticks are you getting per second? If you can manage a MB every 7.2 sec, dots up 95% and MF ticks every 1.5 sec you're pretty much at the limit of your rotation/priority.

Next is gearing appropriately, you should be familiar with www.shadowpriest.com and the best gear thread. From a critical point of view your gear is on the poor side, whether that is due to poor choices or lack of opportunity I can't say. Most spriests will tell you that T7 is garbage, only the Hands, Head and Shoulders are worth anything and at the really top end gear you only worry about the Hands. You also haven't used the best enchants possible, this all comes down to how committed you are to doing the best possible dps. You could use a 63 spellpower enchant on your weapon, your wrist could use a 30sp enchant, there is a better inscription for your shoulders, your cloak is unenchanted (as a tailor its not hard to put a lightweave embroidary on it). Your rings don't have 19sp and those mats aren't expensive.You get the point.

Your spec looks fine, there is a 2nd spec that is worth some merit but i'd suggest you keep what you have until you feel more advanced. The 2nd spec is to drop the 5 points in Spirit Tap and put them into Shadow Affinity & Imp VE... but again I wouldn't change it for now.

I think the OP should get Improved Shadowform as well!

Worshaka, can I copy your post to paste into this thread when it resurfaces again next week with another title?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    I think the OP should get Improved Shadowform as well!
    I obviously didnt scrutinise the spec very well... he should have that as well... tbh i just glanced at the spec and it seemed like the correct one. Get rid of points in Imp PW:S & Psychic Horror and put them into Imp SF.

And copy and paste whatever u like.

I generally wish people would stop worrying about dps, and care more about killing bosses. It's the least important factor in PvE and PvP. Serves nothing but e-peen, but considering we're still thousands of dps behind Mages and Death Knights, who even bother caring about it.

I agree that worrying about the exact number you can output is retarded... but there is nothing wrong in wanting to improve your performance and to learn how to play better. Just make the realisation that playing better doesn't necessarily mean you need to output more dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    I generally wish people would stop worrying about dps, and care more about killing bosses. It's the least important factor in PvE and PvP. Serves nothing but e-peen, but considering we're still thousands of dps behind Mages and Death Knights, who even bother caring about it.
    I beg to differ. Dps is something to look at, and not just for epeen sake. For dps'ers it is their benchmark of performance, and when you start talking enrage timers or have to kill x boss in x amount of time for achievement or hard mode clear, then you need your dps pulling the max they can do. Looking at where you are overall and complaining is more of an epeen, but checking your personal dps and trying to squeeze the max amount out of your class that you can is just trying to better yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirkgee5
    As i am told it should allow me to get 3k dps on IF dummy with a rotation of VP DP MB MF SWP yet i cant get past 2.5k
    I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned, but this rotation is antiquated as of 3.1. MF will now give you three stacks of SW assuming you finish the cast (1 stack per tick). Personally I'm using this: VT -> MB -> MF (full cast) -> DP -> SW:P. Honestly the SW:P and the DP could switch places depending on what you like. I'm aware this isn't the only viable rotation as of 3.1 but it what works for me.

Other than that, address the enchanting/gearing problems that were raised earlier. Stop gemming for socket bonuses (even if you think you need those 8 hit/8 spirit gems) as pure SP is much more beneficial. The only blue gems you should be using are the Purified Twilight Opals, and even then you should only have the two you need for the meta. And omg, level your professions. Lightweave is amazing now and the 19 SP ring enchants aren't too bad either.

I prefer:

-> Wild Magic (Precast),
    -> VT (tank's charging),
    -> DP (tank's doing first hit),
    -> Mind Blast (tank got enough aggro),
    -> Mind Flay (Getting the last stacks),
    -> SW:P (With Wild Magic and 5 stacks),
    -> Mind Blast (it's ready again)

Then using second Wild Magic during Bloodlust.

Stop gemming for socket bonuses (even if you think you need those 8 hit/8 spirit gems) as pure SP is much more beneficial. The only blue gems you should be using are the Purified Twilight Opals, and even then you should only have the two you need for the meta.
    That's absolute bull.

Purified Twilight Opal = (9 + 8 * 0.22) = 10.76 PP
    Shining Forest Emerald = (8 * 1.16 + 8 * 0.22) = 11.04 PP

'sup dawg?

If you're not hit capped, Shining Forest Emerald IS better than Purified Twilight Opal. You of course socket them in places where you get a usefull bonus (Sapphiron Necklase, Penance Cloak, Various headpieces).

Anyway, any serious PvE player rolled JC these days, so hardly a huge discussion which gem is best.

my starting sequence:

Mind Flay x2
    Devouring Plague
    Vampiric Touch
    Mind Blast
    Shadow Word Pain
    Vampiric Embrace, etc

Yeah, that's a fail rotation, you miss 1 Mind Blast tick, 1 Devouring Plague tick, and start the replenishment several seconds to late.

You should really consider changing it.

I've taken to MB, MF, VT, SW:P, MB, DP, VE in Ulduar... as VE is quite an important utility (imo). Admitaddly I proc replenishment a tad late but it wouldn't account to an amount of mana i'd consider significant. I may think about changing it to VT first, I can see how that fits in with getting DP up a bit earlier.

Hmm I dont know why ur saying that we ar thousands of dps behind mages or any other classes. With every buff counting boomkin aura + totems + demo lock SP buff(around 350free sp all da time o.O) I can easly top dps meters when i manage around ~92% dot uptime.

And as for opener I'm using

VT->DP->MF2->MB->SW:P->SW->MF3->MB and after that Im not bothering bout casting MB until i get my p4 set bonus. Might be funny but if u cast MB only once every 12s about just to refresh replenish u might hit higher dps that using MB every time when its off CD, but still its less fun.

I want to go naxx soon just for paczwerk to check my dps now, coz pre patch with worste gear I managed to hit something aroung 4.7k.

PS. Also notice greatness of shadow priest in whole Ulduar - almost every fight contains some adds or multi dotting eg. mimiron,kologarn,freya and generaly most fight. And thats in what we ar best - medium dps when we need to nuke somerhing(like deconstructor hearth), constant HUGE damage when u got to fight quite long, good damage on multi targets and one of the most OP aoe. Personaly I love my class

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by koledownik90
    Might be funny but if u cast MB only once every 12s about just to refresh replenish u might hit higher dps that using MB every time when its off CD, but still its less fun.
    I call shenangians. MB was our most damaging spell in 3.0.8 and I haven't checked in 3.1 but nothing really changed for us besides dots critting so I'd say it is still our most damaging spell. More MBs = more dps usually.

Otherwise what would be the point in spending 5 talent points to reduce its cooldown by a measly 2.5 seconds?
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!