Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Stop being a clicker

1) Bind everything you can. I click to use quest items and open trade skills. . . but that's about it.

2) Bind the skills you use more frequently close to your natural hand position. I use ASWD to move (some people use EDSF or RDFG) so I bind instant casts to buttons like R and F. Mouse buttons also work out really well for these kinds of skills.

3) Bind skills you use out of combat far from your natural hand position. I use (8,9,0 and F5-F12).

4) If you still have skills left over use Shift, Ctrl, and Alt modifiers (these work for mouse buttons too).

5) THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL. . . get a bar mod that allows you to hide all of your skills. If you hide them all you're forced to remember the keybinds and use them. Not going to lie, this will suck for awhile b/c it's like having to relearn how to play. . . but it's worth it in the long run.

Yeah, don't start with to many key bindings. You'll most likely be overwhelmed and spend more time looking at your keyboard trying to remember what is where, and less time looking at the screen, where your eyes should be.

I suggest what others have said, and start with only binding your MAIN spells. I started with shift+1-6 and f1-f4, as they were the most comfortable to hit, and then slowly moved onto other keys that I also felt were comfortable (t,y,v,b,g,h, etc)

i use my numberpad for all of my DPS keys that are in my rotation and have a few on the 1 to = that i occasionally use.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

me as a priest (pvp disc)

1 = dispell (macro)
    2 = Prom
    3 = penance
    4 = renew
    r = PW:S (macro)
    tab = SW:death
    ` = switch to next enemy
    f = flash heal
    t = gheal
    g = pvp trinket
    alt-1 = inner focus
    alt-2 = Power Infusion
    alt-3 = Pain supression
    v = SHain
    c = eng rocket boots
    z = shoot wand
    x = fade (more for pve)
    shift-f = abolish poison
    shift-t = bind heal
    shift-v = devouring plauge
    shift-r = inner fire
    shift middle mouse button = levitate
    shift side mouse button = mind blast
    shift-2 = mind control
    shift-3 = mass dispell
    alt-Q = will of forsaken (undead)
    alt-E = fear
    5 and 6 = healthstone / desperate prayer
    8 = PW:fort
    9= PW: spirit
    0 = shadow Prot
    middle mouse button(scroller click) = fear ward
    scroll up = mana burn
    scroll down = holy fire
    side mouse button = smite
    f1 = target self/ bandage
    f2 = summon pet / attack
    j = mount (flying/ground macro)

hotkeys that i dont have any use or forgot to put
    shift-scroll up
    shift-scroll down
    alt-scroll up
    alt-scroll down
    b
    h

maybe this will help a lil

Depending on your keyboard I'd advise not binding vital CDs to modifier + X, specially ones you use while moving, as some keyboards can't handle 3 key presses
    Wish I could change my Bubble keybind, but I don't use it enough to remember where I've rebound it to :x

[img width=600]http://www.everflow.com/support/articles/Nostromo/images/nostromo_template_N52.gif[/img]

As a long-time healer priest I've been a clicker for the games lifespan. I use the arrows to move, Delete as Fade, Page Down as my instant self heal, and thats it. All my heals are bound to the mouse with shift, ctrl and alt. I just click on raidframes for the healing.

Now I've begun a little death knight and realize (playing a mediocre rogue alt), that clicking will never get me very far. So I've begun trying the default QWES setup. I'm definately going to move to WASD, however. The only problem I have is that when I come to use 1,2,3 etc I raise my fingers from the movement keys and lose my placement as I'm pushing. Is this basically just a skill-cap, something I'm going to learn by doing? Atm it's keeping me immobile while killing a mob.

I might give that Belkin a try. Is alt, ctrl, shift bindable on that thing to?

Quote Originally Posted by Neeklus
    I might give that Belkin a try. Is alt, ctrl, shift bindable on that thing to?
    Yes. They are WELL worth the very minor investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Xern
    1-6 ( In some cases 1-5 , depends on your fingers) , anything after that and you're gimping yourself with the movement.
    Remove turn left and right from A/D , replace them by strafe left/right. This nets you 2 extra keybindings + makes sure you can't keyboard turn.

What I use at the moment is :

1-6 with shift and alt modifiers. Control 1-6 for auras (Paladin)
    q,e,r,t,§,z,x,c,v,f,g, with shift and control modifiers
    Numpad for buffs
    f1-f12 for gear swapping / opening profession tabs
    Mouse sidebuttons but most people don't have these

Personally speaking I started off as a clicker and a keyboard turner way back when the game was released , then around 1 year later I started using 1-6 , but didn't find it to be enough so I slowly started using modifier keys (Shift / Control / Alt) , starting off with Shift 1-6 and slowly adding more.

you could also hide your keybindings which is what I do , although just for the looks but that really makes sure that you have to remember them.
    So w/o q and e how do u turn while ur mouse is in the grid menu? I played a friends char befor.. he has Preperation on E and i ALWAYS while loged in hit it at least 1 time :X and im so used to c my char screen b my bags f target of target etc. I tried it once but whit all the Grid Comb. i dont know if i can remember everything. Also i like to play diffrent chars every day so i log in diffrent acc of friends and some of em have hot keys and some of em dont so that doesnt help lol
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Hmmm, those speedpads Mac OS only?

Imo the best way to learn to use keybinding is beat Fable 1 it forces you to use WASD and 1-10
    It cured my clicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagdush
    I would drag my dick through a mile of lava just to listen to someone that's installing the beta on Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic
    Hi!

I'm a clicker. I'm a hopeless clicker.

I use some keys like 1,2 for the most primary attacks. This have worked so-so for me in pve but awful in pvp.

My goal is to learn how to use the keys. I assume most ppl use 1-0 and some other combos.

What I'm looking for is a lil tip from some helpful person that might have gone through this transition themselves.

Is there addons that might help? Any smart way of binding keys? Anything?

I used to be a clicker myself, from the year and a half I played in Vanilla to half way through TBC I clicked, ofr the bindings set up your most used abilities to the keys around your "wasd" keys and work from there.

The best way to learn to use your keyboard is to just do it.

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Get yourself one of these;
    http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/rele...4_07n52te.html

Seriously, without it, i don't know if i'd be able to play effectively.
    The page there says it's like £50 GBP, but it's actually a lot less these days. Think mine cost about £25 GBP or so, and that was bought a few days before patch 3.0 was released on live.
    If you play alot, with a thing like that, like most WoW people do, you have an insanely high risk of messing up youre thumb.

So never ever use it, out of 12 people i know using such or equal thing 9 have trouble with their thumb today, it hurts when they move it around, very very BAD!.
    R.I.P World of Warcraft 2004-2009 The Casuals whiners finally killed you, one wonders how casuals can overcome reallife, they must cry alot at work and out in the big world, when stuff is to hard and time consuming. Maybe god will helps casual scrubs handle real life? nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkaMaus
    So w/o q and e how do u turn while ur mouse is in the grid menu? I played a friends char befor.. he has Preperation on E and i ALWAYS while loged in hit it at least 1 time :X and im so used to c my char screen b my bags f target of target etc. I tried it once but whit all the Grid Comb. i dont know if i can remember everything. Also i like to play diffrent chars every day so i log in diffrent acc of friends and some of em have hot keys and some of em dont so that doesnt help lol
    Healers don't really need to turn (heals can be cast no matter what direction you're facing), and it only takes a quarter second to turn around anyway.

1-5
    z-b
    ctrl + 1-5
    shift + 1-5
    q e r f g t
    ctrl + r f v c e q z x

sometimes I have to add more for certain classes like shaman totems but that sees me fine, I use w a s d to move without any turning keys, turn with the mouse only. space jump.

it's also worth noting my setup won't work for people not used to playing pc games. I've been an online gamer since modem to modem doom like 10+ years ago and my hand has developed into a claw like shape ideal to play games. my little finger rests on the ctrl key so all my important casts are just usual keys or ctrl + keys and when my real life mates have tried it, they fail massively, jsut for some reason my linger finger has become unusually dexterous from all the computer games. also when I shift from ctrl casts or shift casts I just use different parts of my little finger, the top of it for shift and the middle for ctrl, and that freaks out a lot of people that try use my binds.

I never used to bind, but a glad rogue friend used to just gloat and stomp on me all the time, so i vowed to him i would beat him. I took a page out of his book and keybound almost everything, he goes a little extreme and keybinds log out/exit that sorta thing but heres what i found most comfortable for me.

1-6 on the numbers for the most commonly used attacks
    `\zx for commonly used defensive skills
    cfrvgt general macros, my r key is always interrupt no matter what char im on as it's one of the easiest binds going.
    F1-F4 for things like armours

I also use alt and shift mods on a few keys

alt bindings for me tend to be 1,2,3,4, a,d,f1,f2,f3

same for shift, although a lot of my macros use shift modifiers (check out wowiki/arena junkies for some simple macro information)

i also use 3 side buttons on my mouse all with shift mods, these are for my main prio things like sheep with focus macros ect.

make sure you are using wsad, as it's been mentioned here many times cause unless ya playing a dk you will just fail.

Thumbs up to those using a Belkin, I just couldn't get used to keybindings with a keyboard and everytime I tried I would go back to clicking. Got the N52te and I love it. Fully recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleuh
    Since the invention of the internet, the Earth`s rotation has been solely propelled by english teachers turning in their graves.
    Quote Originally Posted by zuraghogar
    If only shamans had an interrupt on a short cooldown.