Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Expectations for a SPriest in 25 man

What kind of DPS should you expect from someone in a 25 man? I know that's a bazooka type question, but I'm trying to figure out if our Spriest is sucking tit or is pumping out the expected damage.

Full 25 man Naxx gear, what numbers should I be seeing from a Spriest in Ulduar 25 man. (we have sufficient Shamans to cover all talented totems btw, but we don't always have a boomkin with us)

Re: Expectations for a SPriest in 25 man

It depends on the encounter. Some aren't Shadow Priest friendly.

I'd say around 4500 would be a good number. Around ~5000 for someone who has all possible raid buffs, flask, etc. but I haven't really been paying attention to DPS.

It's far too up and down between encounters to simply give a number and expect someone to stick to it.

What you really should be asking is

1. Is the raid dying to enrage timers?
    2. If the raid is dying to enrange timers, how many of the dps were stupid and stood in fire and got killed 1 min into the encounter?
    3. Did we logistically place the raid well for the encounter so they could maximise dps
    4. Do we have all the buffs to help increase dps.

Once you get a yes to all of those, then you can worry about individual dps. It would be far more beneficial to compare the same class/specs together in terms of output instead of trying to compare a spriest to a mage for example.

However, if your spriest has the appropriate gear and isn't one of these nubs with 5/5 valarous and considers himself full naxx geared, he can be near the top on many Ulduar encounters... but not necessarily all of them.

Lastly, there are some encounters (like Razorscale) where dps is applied to adds as well as the boss. To a large extend the dps numbers people output on adds is irrelevent... it's rather what they are dpsing... when you finish the encounter everyone links the dps meter but it's been corrupted by adds data. You really need to be looking at the dps on Razorscale exclusively, which can be done in Recount if you know what you're doing.

What kind of DPS should you expect from someone in a 25 man? I know that's a bazooka type question, but I'm trying to figure out if our Spriest is sucking tit or is pumping out the expected damage.

Full 25 man Naxx gear, what numbers should I be seeing from a Spriest in Ulduar 25 man. (we have sufficient Shamans to cover all talented totems btw, but we don't always have a boomkin with us)
    Fully raid buffed (moonkin, shammy, DK, flask, etc.), a good geared SP should have around 4k5-5k dps on most Ulduar bosses, and "higher" to "much higher" values on "special" bosses (has damage buff / aoe / multi-dotting friendly ) such as Iron Council, Freya, Vezax, Kologarn, XT.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

With 8 pieces of offgear for Shadow I had 3600DPS on Patchwerk w/o BL, so I guess, if you are full Naxx25 geared at least 4500.

But still depends on the fight, noone will ask you 5k dps on Thorim, or Mimiron, but as example on Freya and Deconstructor it could be.

noone will ask you 5k dps on Thorim
    I'd ask for a big higher if you're in the Mind Sear group

Let me re-iterate... there is no particular number... it varies by a big range for specific encounters.

If you have 2 spriests in your raid and they do similar dps, odds are they are both doing the best they can. If one falls well behind the other then he/she might need a bit of a hand.

I love Shadow Priests so much!

x
    Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    I'd ask for a big higher if you're in the Mind Sear group
    Stating to be able to get over 5k with AOE'ing, when it's quite clear that the OP can't give a fuck about how much can he hit in AoE'ing, it's the Single Target the issue.

Clever indeed.
    Oh wait, It is Nezoia posting.

So if our Shadow Priest is consistently hitting around 12-14th (out of 15 DPS) on pretty much every boss fight (XT, Razor, Kol, Aur, Thorim, Freya, IC, etc), then I can safely conclude that the player in question is sucking?

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Stating to be able to get over 5k with AOE'ing, when it's quite clear that the OP can't give a fuck about how much can he hit in AoE'ing, it's the Single Target the issue.

Clever indeed.
    Oh wait, It is Nezoia posting.
    You missed out the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    So if our Shadow Priest is consistently hitting around 12-14th (out of 15 DPS) on pretty much every boss fight (XT, Razor, Kol, Aur, Thorim, Freya, IC, etc), then I can safely conclude that the player in question is sucking?
    Depends how much the rest of the guild suck. But yes, being lowest on Thorim and XT is really really bad.

You can easily hit a #1 or #2 spot on Thorim if you're down in the arena searing dwarves to tears.

If your guild is full of exceptional and well-geared players, 12th or 15th is about where your Shadow Priests will be.

Neither myself or the guild's other Shadow Priest can consistently make top 10, unless someone dies or is just plain sucking, but we tend to stack pure/overpowered DPS classes.
    An average setup looks like 3 Rogues, 3 Mage, 3 Warlocks, 1 Warrior, 1 Feral Druid, 1 Shaman, 1 Death Knight, 1 Retadin.
    Everyone but the Shaman will (and should) do higher DPS than us.

If your guild is full of exceptional and well-geared players, 12th or 15th is about where your Shadow Priests will be.

Neither myself or the guild's other Shadow Priest can consistently make top 10, unless someone dies or is just plain sucking, but we tend to stack pure/overpowered DPS classes.
    Sorry if I sound rude, but if above is happening in Ulduar (not Naxx), then probably you still have lots of rooms for improvement, not that your friends are exceptional & well-geared (they probably are, but it's not the reason you are 12-15 on dmg meter...). A SP that
    consistently hitting around 12-14th (out of 15 DPS) on pretty much every boss fight (XT, Razor, Kol, Aur, Thorim, Freya, IC, etc)
    is not doing his job properly.

With non-tank'n'spank-based fights in Ulduar, a SP shouldn't be 12-15th (at least not yet, we will see how it is later in a far future when everyone are getting fully Ulduar geared, but I doubt even by then we will be 12-15)
    To quote Ensidia, although normally I don't like acting like a fanboy, but this line is just very quote-worthy, from things to remember while progressing Ulduar =p
    6. Use a lot of shadowpriests in every fight
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

It's written by eoy, who also play shadowpriest

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    That really depends on their gear, what buffs are available and what they are being asked to do in each encounter.

While someone stated spriests are between 12th & 15th in their Uld raids, you can expect good spriests to be quite a bit higher (all things being equal). If you run a simcraft sample you will see spriests are listed as the 4th highest dps class in BIS T8, around 6.8K dps... no suprise feral druids are no1 with 8K, locks around 7.8k and rogues around 7k (thats all off the top of my head but its about right).

Atm, my spriest is usually 3rd or 4th in my guild uld runs... so to suggest a spriest can't break the top 10 is completely incorrect and if I get flamed i'll be happy to link my wws.

Generally I'm in the 6th to 7th range. Depends on the fights and rng of it all. If you constantly get tossed in a slag pot or kologarns hand... your dps is going to suck :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Generally I'm in the 6th to 7th range. Depends on the fights and rng of it all. If you constantly get tossed in a slag pot or kologarns hand... your dps is going to suck :P
    The way we do kologarn i'll never be remotely near the top... we stack every non healer into melee range so the eye beam can only target the 7 or so healers we have. That means I get consistently spell locked from the overhead bash or whatever it's called.

In addition warriors and other classes with incidental AoE will hit the right arm, left arm and chest... and thus their dps is going to be highly inflated compared to people who just single target.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    The way we do kologarn i'll never be remotely near the top... we stack every non healer into melee range so the eye beam can only target the 7 or so healers we have. That means I get consistently spell locked from the overhead bash or whatever it's called.

In addition warriors and other classes with incidental AoE will hit the right arm, left arm and chest... and thus their dps is going to be highly inflated compared to people who just single target.
    Shadow priest dps is a tricky thing. I tell my raid to go by one simple rule. If you and I have equal gear, and I out dps you on single targets, then you are doing something wrong.

Considering simcraft has spriests placed 4th in the heirachy of dps, that might be a little tough....

At the moment feral druids seem to be streets ahead of the rest but there is nothing stopping a spriest to be competitive with most the other classes... of course it's all encounter dependant of course.

Just that SimCraft don't include data for all classes, so it's pretty hard to call valid comparison