Upgrading DDR3 RAM

Currently have 2x 4GB DDR3 G.Skill RipJawsX and I am getting a number of messages saying I am out of memory, (it's getting quite annoying)

I'm wondering at the moment if its worth only getting another 8GB or if I would be better (as my rig is now 3 years old) getting a 16GB kit which could potentially last into the next round of upgrades.

RAM also seems to have gone up a lot in price since I built my current rig.
    (I paid £37.00 in 2011, the same kit is now £66.98!)

Either way I would be looking to add the new ram to the current one's, (expanding to 16GB or 24GB)

Anyone have any suggestions as to when DDR4 might be going mainstream to suggest weather an additional 16gb of ddr3 would be worth it before it becomes obsolete...
    Last edited by Djinni; 2014-10-15 at 10:56 AM.
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    Fractal Design Define R4 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk || GTX 610 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN || Samsung 46 F6320

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Memory prices have gone up. They didn't go down afterwards.
    I would also investigate the nature of your memory shortages, I run out now and then again; I'm sure the patterns would be similar with less RAM than I currently have.
    Is your GPU trying to use RAM since you are trying to force too high of a setting?
    Do you never reset your browser and keep the same application/tabs up forever? A complete kill and resurrection usually does the trick for me, and saves me having to reboot.

I would recommend against any notion of DDR4, it will come mainstream in Skylake. The prices will still be leaps and bounds higher than DDR3 and the performance will be equal to DDR3 except in writes, where it will be a reasonable but unnecessary improvement.
    I don't think investing in more DDR3 is a waste.

Actually my primary usage has changed from Gaming to Media streaming.... Pretty much everything else in usage is the same as it was a year or two years ago.
    All monitors are running at native resolution (2x 1920x1080 1x 1680 x 1050)
    Skylake is apparently only a year away yet... so unless I fall into a heap of money that would probably be around the next upgrade time. (Although since I'm not really playing any serious games any more... potentially would be a while longer)

Yes, I fall into the trap of having about 40-60 chrome tabs open and never closing the browser to do anything other than restart (which invariably I do less than once a week) I have it synced to my work laptop, so that the same ones are open on both, makes it much easier transitioning between systems for me.
    (Since everyone knows you (or at least I) do just as much work at home, and just as much well not work at work)
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    Fractal Design Define R4 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk || GTX 610 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN || Samsung 46 F6320

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Yes, I fall into the trap of having about 40-60 chrome tabs open and never closing the browser to do anything other than restart (which invariably I do less than once a week) I have it synced to my work laptop, so that the same ones are open on both, makes it much easier transitioning between systems for me.
    Yes I'm not the only one.

Now cause I'm an idiot, I would go with having 24GB of RAM cause I tend to have too many stuff going on, but it depends on your usage. Just make sure the CL and frequency is the same I suppose (or something, I haven't read up on this in a while).

Given the fact you use your computer for work and it requires you to have a lot of stuff open, I'd go for it and max out the RAM that your mobo can handle.
    Zilog Z-80A, 1.77 MHz - 4k RAM – Cassette Storage
    12” Monochrome 64x16 text – OS: BASIC

(Uptime 9 days 19 hours)

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    As a point of reference
    http://i.imgur.com/ze389Lm.png
    The majority being Chrome as well.
    Uptime, 10 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes

Ya'll need to stop having so many Chrome tabs open! Then again I have 6 right now doing nothing... Facebook/MMoC/Guild site perma pinned, second MMoC thread just for commenting (aka this)... another what I just commented in... and then Twitter.