Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Defibbs View Post
    What is everyone's opinion on CCleaner. I've been using it instead of other anti spyware/malware/virus software mainly because of win 7's programming. I mean, you have to click "yes install" to be able to get a virus using win 7 nowadays right? CCleaner keeps your registry clean and cleans up your cache, cookies, and sys tray.
    CCleaner as nothing to do with viruses or any kind of "infection".
    It's mostly used to "clean" temporary files etc. and possibly avoid getting the same virus again because a part of it was stuck in Temp files.

It does not block viruses nor does it lower your chances of getting one.

Get a nice free Antivirus Software, don't do stupid things of the internet and this will lower the chances making them almost nonexistent .

Deleted
    Ccleaner has nothing to do with "anti spyware/malware/virus software" and shouldn't be viewed as a replacement by any means. Ccleaner in itself is a great cleaning tool but that's it.

Edit: Missed the reply above.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Ccleaner has nothing to do with "anti spyware/malware/virus software" and shouldn't be viewed as a replacement by any means. Ccleaner in itself is a great cleaning tool but that's it.

Hey no problem :P.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

qvo6.com The latest spyware.

So today while I was watching southpark my browser closed, avira called out a virus, I removed it and the next time I opened my browser I had this small piece of sh*t spyware called qvo6.com

It's a tricky one to remove so here's what I did.

1- Go into safe mode > start > regedit > computer > KHEY_CURRENT_USER (or the one you use) > software > microsoft > internet > main --> on the right side, scroll down until lyou find the "start page" and delete it.

2- Now restart your computer and clean all your browser cookies, temp files, etc... I personally use Ccleaner and If you don't have it I encourage you to get this free software, it's a must have for your computer.

3- Check yur programs, you might want to delete any possible software qvo6 might have installed in your computer.

4- Open your browser settings and clean them; simply delete everything related to this site, qvo6.com

5- Scan your PC.

If it didn't work here's another guilde which seems to work.
    http://deletemalware.blogspot.com.es...uninstall.html

Have a great one.

I merged your thread with the virus sticky shise, the sticky is kind of a "one stop shop" for virus removal.

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    A good internet security software is best (take your pick, there are many brands that are good and affordable).

If money is an issue windows fire wall and common sence work pretty well for being free. Just dont go downloading things on shady places. Also there are some free stuff out there that sort of works well too. Common sence is your best tool here, don´t go into torrent sites or other places where infections might happen.

Now, if you are already infected the surest and safest thing is to reformat your machine. I did a factory reset on my lap top a few months ago (after doing backups) and then installed the security software right away. Its a nice way to bring everything in line but you do have to wait for everything to get updated. Maybe a restore would be a better idea.
    Personally, MSE, Avast, Ad-Aware and MalwareBytes work very well and all of them at least have a free version.

Downloading from "shady places" isn't so much a problem as "downloading from shady places and not scanning the file before running it". Torrent site are generally fine. The occasional fake torrent and bad ad's are the only things you really need to actively keep a eye out for. You can get viruses just as easy from following links in Youtube video descriptions as you can from a pirate site.

Looking up the specific virus/trojan/whatever for how to remove it should be your first move. Example : Sis loves downloading Bigfish games from less-than-reputable sources. She didn't scan one, got a fake anti-virus that proceeded to disable windows firewall, completely murder MSE so that it would not start until after it was a removed and a lengthy fixing process. Googled the program that it installed and had popping up and found a step-by-step process to remove it and it worked perfectly. Sure I had to use Safe Mode to get some things done but it's better than losing 5 years worth of data.

Last thing i'd like to add is this : Reformatting your machine should be a absolute last resort.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Milq View Post
    Or you could use a Mac. ;D
    Macs are not impossible to hack or anything, it just has a freecode that changes quite times per second, but if you get a worm on your mac, GG.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Yes it can but it has to be configured properly.
    How can I configure it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glerimos View Post
    How can I configure it?
    You allow most stuff for Windows components, block everything else by default and allow it on individual basis. On an application start it checks for the digital signature, if it's not recognized it's auto blocked and it can't do anything, and even if it can do something, it can't connect to the internet.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2013-06-16 at 10:25 PM.

Deleted
    i have discovered a nice "kit" that automatically downloads all of the recommended programs to help users clean their computers.

<Snip>
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-06-18 at 12:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfunkz View Post
    i have discovered a nice "kit" that automatically downloads all of the recommended programs to help users clean their computers.

<Snip>
    Most of the time they are vastly outdated. Tools have to be updated almost every week to keep up why new viruses or variant. And most of the timed the "tools" there are completly useless : Hijackthis (99% outdated and useless, spybot is the same, spywareblaster never heard of it) I could go on.

And they even sometimes HAVE viruses in them and they infect you. So I'd advise to stay away from those sort of thing. Not even talking about what some of some tools were used by a beginner you could crash you computer completly and would have to format. Some tools could go very wrong if not used by trained people, and how are you supposed to know which program you have to use for which viruses ?

Nope, thats a no-no, stay away from those "pack", you'll be better of ^^.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-06-18 at 12:17 PM.

Deleted
    I would add, do not use ccleaner to clean windows registry, windows registry is thing you should not "clean". Other than that it seems it is good program, so stay away from placebo registry cleaners (they don't do diddly).

I'm curious if having a 2nd PC for browsing would keep your main PC safe if they were on the same wireless network. Upgraded recently and have a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorca View Post
    I'm curious if having a 2nd PC for browsing would keep your main PC safe if they were on the same wireless network. Upgraded recently and have a spare.
    It's a waste of a perfectly good PC. But the answer is yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post

If you have a trojan startup root thats in the tempfiles it does.

A better way to check is to go to ur CMD, type in -netstat -ano and compare the "established" PID's to their respective locations. Any proper hacker will make his trojan/virus FUD, so it cant be picked up by antiviruses and malware killers.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2014-02-04 at 07:18 PM.

I use malwarebytes is this good enough? lol

At work we have a suite of tools we script to run automatically on a machine any time we find a virus:

Microsoft Safety Scanner
    McAfee Stinger
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    TDSS Killer (suspected rootkits only)
    HitmanPro

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that was kind of odd. Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything, but about a few seconds into this page loading after clicking on the link to this thread, another tab opened telling me I've chosen to install some HD player...bla bla bla that ended with .exe of course. Yeah, no thank you!

before trying this must know the risk and search this step on other forum if it is legit or not seems suspicious. must out MSE anti malware and spyware for sure light and safe than this steps

- - - Updated - - -

and one thing key logger on your computer only you are the one who can put that in your computer unless you are using other computer or some one thus using your computer and he/she put a key logger some anti virus not cover all virus form so think before you click

Just a recommendation from someone with tech support history at Symantec:

Norton has a tool called Norton Power Eraser, it's not widely advertised as it's a free tool which has its uses for various troubleshooting and is also a quick way for tech support to run a scan/clean on a customer's system. Works great, just google it. Make sure you run it from symantec's own website.