15+ Year Old Account

Discipline Priest gems etc.

Hi people...

I am maybe going to continue on my Priest and now begin on Discipline healing rather than Restoration. I am just a bit confused about which stats a Discipline healer goes for. I know that critt makes it easier to proc Divine Aegis, but Power Word: Shield doesn't benefit from critt. Intellect gives more mana and low critt, but since a Discipline Priest don't go OOM (from what I have heard), getting intellect for mana from Rapture isn't important. Then we have spell power that increases all your spells healing (including Power Word: Shield), but then we might not critt as much. What stats are prefered as a Discipline Priest? Maybe there is a system with getting critt cap (if there is such thing) and then go pure SP or something.
    Besides shouldn't the prefered meta socket for a Discipline Priest be the one giving 25 spell power and 2% more intellect? Compared to the other with 21 intellect and chance for free cast, it gives the same amount of intellect if you have 1.000 (which many DPriest do today), and 25 more SP.

Re: Discipline Priest gems etc.

Been playing disc for a few years now, what I generally go for is Haste > Int > Crit > SP > MP5.

I go for the 21 int, chance to restore mana on spellcast meta personally but it's a matter of preference.

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t54629-d...endium_v3_1_a/

for you to look at it more in depth. but i'll be nice and quote the stat weights from its front page if you're lazy.

The stat ratings presented are generated from the Disc Spreadsheet that will be attached in a later section.

Thoughput stats...
    Intelligence - 0.16
    Spell Power - 1.0
    Crit Rating - 0.48
    Haste Rating - 0.59

Discipline through use of BT and with Enlightenment has a lower need for gearing to haste. It is valuable for total output at the above stat weighting up to the point you reach the "soft cap" of a total haste of 50%. At that point the GCD is 1 second and more haste impacts less of the Disc arsenal of tools. This point varies based on the buffs available and should be individually calculated.

Longevity stats...
    1 Intelligence = 0.74 mp5
    1 Spirit - 0.33 mp5

For those that utilize a combined stat weighting you can use the following. Though I usually work with them seperately in order to better balance my gear selection. The longevity stats are important to balance mana burn and mana gain for your playstyle, mana beyond that point is unnecessary.

Combined stats... Using a 60/40 split for throughput vs. longevity.
    Intelligence - 0.65
    Spirit - 0.22
    Haste Rating - 0.59
    Crit Ratng - 0.48
    Spell Power - 1.0
    Mp5 - 0.67

I personally put SP/Int in everything..

I do occasionally throw in a pure intellect gem on yellow sockets..

The best Meta gem would probably be the 21 int/mana restore.. I'm using the 25SP/2% int because I haven't found the 21 int/mana restore one. I think it's a decent substitute if you can't get your hands on the other one, but you need a gem in your headslot.

Keep in mind that intellect helps mana regen with Replenishment.. Don't just look at your own talents, consider those of the people you raid with.

Quote Originally Posted by IAreRaz
    Been playing disc for a few years now, what I generally go for is Haste > Int > Crit > SP > MP5.

I go for the 21 int, chance to restore mana on spellcast meta personally but it's a matter of preference.
    Disc before the patch at the end of BC wasn't really anything like the PVE-oriented disc of today...

Yes, mana is still pretty friendly for us but not quite as much since the nerf to rapture. Int is still your best friend, and on fights like Gen. Vezax bigger mana pools really rock. Also, expect your mana to be tested to the extreme in some of the hard mode fights.

I generally socket red with + SP, yellow w/ +SP/+Int, and blue with +SP/+Stam if the socket bonus is worthwhile (or as needed for the meta). I use the Insightful Earthsiege meta as the mana return will help more in a bad situation than the nominal spellpower from the other.

This puts me at roughly 2200 SP, 29.5% crit, and 18% haste with Inner Fire, which I find to be a good balance, but your personal playstyle might change that.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Why not SP/Spi in blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Why not SP/Spi in blue?
    mp5 > spirit for disc priests (based on stat values).

personally i'd much rather have, say crit+mp5, int+mp5 or even int+spirit (if i absolutely had to).

15+ Year Old Account

Intellect gives more mana and low critt, but since a Discipline Priest don't go OOM (from what I have heard), getting intellect for mana from Rapture isn't important.
    This was true, but is no longer the case.

The meta comes down to choice, the easiest one to use and most effective once you're at 1000 int is the 25 Spell power, 2% intellect meta
    A flat 16 int gem will work out better than taking a mp5/spirit and x stat gem. For new content the way im itemizing is Int > SP > Crit > Haste > Spirit/MP5

We get something like 72% of the crit rating from a 16 crit gem from a 16 int gem, so when it comes to gemming i essentially ignore all blue sockets because all they generally offer is spirit or crit as a socket bonus, and just take Int + SP or just a flat 16 int, haste or SP gem.

Hmm... i think u are talking about PvE gems? :P
    PvP gems : stamina, resilience and spell power <3
    Friend or Fowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Radux
    mp5 > spirit for disc priests (based on stat values).

personally i'd much rather have, say crit+mp5, int+mp5 or even int+spirit (if i absolutely had to).
    Yeah, I know, I just totally forgot about the SP/Mp5 gem(Because I actually never gem purple gems anymore).. Umm.. He did say SP/stamina, which is what I was pointing out..

So, why not Sp/spi or Sp/mp5 would the question be..

I'm of the opinion you would gem for longevity until you feel that your mana pool exceeds the content. At that point I would then gem for throughput while leaving a bit of an buffer on longevity for those odd encounters when half the raid like to get themselves killed in a fire.

You can only really get a feel for those types of concepts by raiding and i'm sure it would be completely different for every disc priest in their respective raid.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    We get something like 72% of the crit rating from a 16 crit gem from a 16 int gem, so when it comes to gemming i essentially ignore all blue sockets because all they generally offer is spirit or crit as a socket bonus, and just take Int + SP or just a flat 16 int, haste or SP gem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux
    Longevity stats...
    1 Intelligence = 0.74 mp5
    1 Spirit - 0.33 mp5
    Awesome! You get more MP5 out of 1 intellect than you do from 1 spirit, and you get 71% critt rating from 1 critt rating by getting 1 intellect. I guess intellect will be my stat. I just need to know if the intelligence from above post with mp5 is calculated with PW:S and maybe with Mental Strenght somehow? If not, I am just thinking ;O I see that intellect and spell power are really good gems collection, but I am still unsure about how many etc? Should I just go for 30% critt and 1.000+ intellect and then pure SP or what?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Araz
    Awesome! You get more MP5 out of 1 intellect than you do from 1 spirit, and you get 71% critt rating from 1 critt rating by getting 1 intellect. I guess intellect will be my stat. I just need to know if the intelligence from above post with mp5 is calculated with PW:S and maybe with Mental Strenght somehow? If not, I am just thinking ;O I see that intellect and spell power are really good gems collection, but I am still unsure about how many etc? Should I just go for 30% critt and 1.000+ intellect and then pure SP or what?
    I'd say the calculated mp5 for intelligence take replenishment into account, otherwise there's no way 1 int would regen more than 1 spirit as a priest AFAIK.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    I'd say the calculated mp5 for intelligence take replenishment into account, otherwise there's no way 1 int would regen more than 1 spirit as a priest AFAIK.
    I can't find anything mentioned about Replishment in the guide, but I agree in the numbers seems weird. http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t54629-d...endium_v3_1_a/

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Araz
    Essentially those are about how rounded you want your stats to be, through gearing and gems once you're at about 20,000ish mana your crit should be where you want it to be, so from there you can choose what stats you want to continue bringing up.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    Essentially those are about how rounded you want your stats to be, through gearing and gems once you're at about 20,000ish mana your crit should be where you want it to be, so from there you can choose what stats you want to continue bringing up.
    Well then ^^ Thanks I guess about JC gems I will add 32 SP for those good socket bonus and then the rest will be pure 19 intellect. TY for your help guys ^^