Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Val'anyr, Hammer of the Ancient Kings!

in response to miles, for one thing, priests don't top my guild's healing meters, a shaman does, followed by a druid, our priests are usually 3/4/5th, so by your own argument, priests/pallies get the least use out of this mace and should therefore get the last priority
    If thats the case in your guild, yes if think shams/druids should have it over priest/pallies. But like i said; loyalty>healing meters

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Priestgirl09
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.ph...;topicseen#new

druids still should be last priority imho.
    Huh? Example: Just because a item with spirit benefits a Holy Priest more than it does to the Restoration Druid, the Druid still has the right as much as you to take the item. The Hammer might be better for another class, but seriously Druids are healers as well and the shield can still benefit us.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestgirl09
    You realise that priests own druids on healing meters these days?

Lets face it druids are not actually that good at healing now. And giving you the mace would be a waste when it could go to someone better.

I didn't want to say that, but thats the point of it right there. You guys would waste this mace and it would be far better with a Paladin, Priest or Shaman.

Not trolling, I just think druids are pretty crap overall and you'd be much better off speccing boomkin as thats the only thing they do reasonably well these days.

Have you noticed how you guys always always have to defend your class? Its because its a bit of a joke really if we're honest.

*leaves thread*
    I lol'd irl. :

Edit: Not trying to troll, I am just reading through on how it works for druids and that comment made me laugh. I can't wait to see some actually numbers once we actually get some maces made.

First off in terms of total healing done, nothing beats a druid in an high AOE situation (Saph, Hodir). It isn't because of AoE healing (ie. Wild Growth), its because of regrowth. While the direct heal of regrowth doesn't match that of a paladin, the HoT produced by regrowth does a lot of healing over a long period of time. A smart druid can easily do 50% more healing in these fights as a result. Think the mace bonus won't be useful in these situations?

One of the problems I have with a lot of the discussions is the assumption that the shield will be more useful on the tank. Sure the tank takes more consistent damage on most fights. But lets really look at the reality of what a shield does by reducing damage:

1) reduces healing time/mana required
    2) prevents potential deaths

Now, in my experience, mana is not a big issue in most fights. And reducing healing time will be obtained whether these shields on on the tanks or the dps.

As for preventing potential deaths, well imo the tank dying is of lesser concern than dps dying. While the tank dying is technically of greater concern than a single dps dying, in most fights you don't wipe because of tank deaths; you wipe because of too many dps or healers dying (thus resulting in enrages, not enough healing, etc). Take 25 man Naxx for example: even the very first time we cleared Naxx the only wipe caused by tank deaths was Patchwerk. All other wipes were due to other people dying (like kiters on gluth, too many dps on Thaddius, back healers on 4 horseman, etc.). For this reason I have trouble believing that paladins hps on tanks is that much more important that you would prioritize them.

I've also seen people argue that shields will always be wasted on dps: since they take damage in waves, the shield from heals won't last until they take damage again. This is true in some fights, but I don't think is really the case in the situations that matter:

Lets image that a dps almost dies because he took too much damage. Now lets say, that the reason he didn't die is because he got a heal. This heal caused a shield, which didn't absorb any damage because he didn't take any after he received the heal. Hopefully you noticed the contradiction here; if a player takes no damage after receiving a heal, then he wouldn't have died had he not received the heal (because he wasn't dead and took no damage). Consequently we can conclude that in any situation where a raid member actually would have died, the shield would be used.

I also will point out the last major advantage of a resto druid. If a non-druid heals a player the shield lasts 8 seconds. However, lets say a druid casts a regrowth on a dps at the beginning of the 15 second blessing buff. Since the regrowth's HoT will continue to increase the shield size (and thus reset the duration), the buff will actually last 23 seconds (15+8). If most dps aren't taking damage within 23 seconds of being healed, well then you must be doing patchwerk, cause there is no boss in Ulduar I know of that is that easy.

Interesting discussion. In my opinion the best person for this mace is the best healer regardless of class.

The effectiveness of the shield is not dependent on type of healer as much as damage happening within 8 seconds of the shields last refresh. As SirLanceLittle noted, HoT's have the greatest potential for consistently building a shield that will last until roughly 8 seconds after the blessing fades from the healer. This is an advantage for druids. On the other hand, Tank healers don't really need the shield to last since in most situations the boss will damage the tank in less than 8 seconds and use up the shield. The usefulness of the shield is situational, but any healer can increase their healing effect in the right situation.

Ghostcrawler has stated "...If you have the blessing... then overhealing will count towards the bubble." For those that are a bit confused, once the healer has proc'd the ability to get these shields with their heals, then even over healing contributes to building the shield. So a person who is doing 100% over healing with their spells, will still be doing 15% effective healing if that shield is used before it expires. This can be an advantage to both HoT's and direct heals.

In the end, if the target takes damage that uses the shield, then the healer can get a maximum of 15% additional effective healing while this blessing is proc'd. If a druid is doing 6k hps healing the raid then that player has the potential to be doing 6.9k effective healing if all of the shields are being use before they expire. In exactly the same way, a Paladin could be doing 6k hps healing the tank and have an effective 6.9k healing so long as the shields on the tank are being used before they expire. both players have the same potential benefit, but it is the situation that determines the actual benefit that the individual healers see from this proc.

edit: grammer

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Val'anyr Proc
    If it helps to explain it, the blessing is triggered by healing being done. If you cast a heal on a fully-healed target, you are doing no healing. The bubble itself is triggered by a heal spell being cast. The proc then looks for how much your spell would heal and makes a bubble of 15% of that number. The amount actually healed by the spell isn't a factor for purposes of the bubble. That is why we tried to explain that hots that tick but don't heal cannot cause the blessing on you (the healer) but can contribute to the bubble on the target.

If the bubble goes down (because it took enough damage or 8 sec have elapsed), then you next heal will cause another bubble for as long as the blessing lasts (which is 15 sec).
    Wow... This is obviously very horrible for druids. I hope no guilds make the mistake of giving it to one.

... But I guess it doesn't help that druids are horrible healers with hots that tick for 400-1k max and are all obviously loot whores...

Oh wait.