Thread: PvE Disc Help

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

PvE Disc Help

My guild has a Disc priest for Tank healing. On 99% of encounters the disc is putting out a whopping 1k hps. Most of our other healers are putting out 2.5k hps in general, up to 5k hps on fights where aoe heals is needed. Is 1k hps about right for disc ? is the damage mitigation offered a good pay off for low heals ? or is our priest just doing it wrong ?

Can some PvE disc healers (preferably healing in ulduar) shed some light on this, and maybe give me an idea of their rotation or healing priorities and spells. Cheers for any help

Re: PvE Disc Help

is the 1k according to recount or WWS?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

recount. The total amount healed seems to be accurate tho. Less healing done by the disc priest to the tank than by EarthSheild....hmmm that alone makes me think its the priest thats the issue, not the spec

you may find he is providing 1-1.2k hps in mitigation from pw:s and DA to check; get an addon to recount from the author, called recountguessedabsorbs.

Well I'd have to see the numbers.

As disc I pull about 1300-1500 hps according to recont, 2500-3000 according to WWS.

The thing to remember though is that neither of these tools account for PW:S or Divine Aegis, not to mention the 3% raid wide damage reduction. My rough napkin math says that my mitigation is roughly equal to my healing which means you can about 2x a disc priest's meter numbers to get a rough approximation of the actual effectiveness.

That is just a rough estimate though.

It does sound like that may be a bit low and there may be some stuff he can improve, but without really taking a close look at WWS combat logs and gear, it would be hard to nail down what can be improved.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

the problem is when the disc is in the raid tank healing, our tank is dying. and not to anything extreme, just pure lack of heals. Tank is very well geared. DK with 42k HP and pretty much BiS pre Ulduar. We have holy pally, disc and one other healer on the tank and he isnt staying up. We did a couple of progression fights without the disc and had no healing issues with the tank at all and we normally dont. Its not an issue with the tank, definately a healing issue.

What sort of healing numbers are you guys getting as disc in raids ? and what sort of spells and rotations are u using ? i dont think our disc is doing it right

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Turokuruvar
    As disc I pull about 1300-1500 hps according to recont, 2500-3000 according to WWS.
    Thats the sort of numbers i would be expecting from a disc, 1k and often under 1k just doesnt cut it. Gear isnt an issue. Its playstyle or rotation i think

Just looking at recount, flash heal counts for about 50% of the healing, renew for about 35%. Penance not used.

Disc priests are almost all the time really really low on healing meters and spend a lot of time shielding the target. In the situation you mention I imagine that even if he was on tank duty someone else might have been healing the tank at the same time and palas throwing in instant heals etc. you get the idea. when I am on tank duty I usually don't exceed 1500 hps usually because that some of the time the tank takes no dmg and I shield the raid (both 10 and 25 man ulduar) then the tank takes dmg and I blast off fast heals and shield and begin shielding other targets. this really lowers our hps whilst other healers spend all their time using aoe heals and get off better numbers on meters.

so on a given encounter a disc priest that is pulling 1k healing does not sound strange at all. Hope this helped somewhat answering your question.

on a side note as I see it now Disc is the main supporter for the other healers by taking off pressure when there is a big aoe involved in the fight and I usually spend 80% of boss fights in Ulduar shielding ppl and making it easier and less stressful for the other healers in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter
    the problem is when the disc is in the raid tank healing, our tank is dying. and not to anything extreme, just pure lack of heals. Tank is very well geared. DK with 42k HP and pretty much BiS pre Ulduar. We have holy pally, disc and one other healer on the tank and he isnt staying up. We did a couple of progression fights without the disc and had no healing issues with the tank at all and we normally dont. Its not an issue with the tank, definately a healing issue.

What sort of healing numbers are you guys getting as disc in raids ? and what sort of spells and rotations are u using ? i dont think our disc is doing it right
    As far as rotations....

PW:S as often as possible, followed by penance, pom, flash, basically its more a casting rules priority I try and use than a true rotation

Keep Weakened Soul up
    Keep Penance on CD
    When Borrowed time is up, cast as many spells as possible that won't consume the buff
    If Bloodlust is up or flash heal would come under the 1s GCD cap, Gheal

If your tank is going boom, there is a problem, especially with 3 healers on him. On most fights I can keep a tank up myself with a raid healing druid keeping some hots stacked. Sure there are a few exceptions, but so far no fight has taken more than me and a holy pally.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

if u are getting around 1500 hps you are doing more than 50% more healing than our disc, some times nearly double. Thats quite a big difference.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

As far as rotations....

PW:S as often as possible, followed by penance, pom, flash, basically its more a casting rules priority I try and use than a true rotation

Keep Weakened Soul up
    Keep Penance on CD
    When Borrowed time is up, cast as many spells as possible that won't consume the buff
    If Bloodlust is up or flash heal would come under the 1s GCD cap, Gheal

If your tank is going boom, there is a problem, especially with 3 healers on him. On most fights I can keep a tank up myself with a raid healing druid keeping some hots stacked. Sure there are a few exceptions, but so far no fight has taken more than me and a holy pally.
    I think this is the problem. our disc's rotation is nothing like that. Not using penance at all, mainly using Flash and renew. Thanx for that, Very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter
    I think this is the problem. our disc's rotation is nothing like that. Not using penance at all, mainly using Flash and renew. Thanx for that, Very helpful
    A disc priest not using penance is the biggest failure going, remove them from the guild let alone the raid, they obviously fail to understand their class!!

Renew is absolute crap for disc. Flash and Renew are the same cast (1.5s base vs GCD). Flash, spec'd and glyphed costs 521 mana, renew 590. Renew can get sniped and can't crit either. There is no reason for renew to be part of a disc's normal rotation.

Penance and Flash heal are 40% of my healing or better on an average fight. Penance is by far and away a Disc priest's best heal.

the 1500 hps is in 10 man only. I never get such a high number in 25 man. I spend too much time shielding ppl to get up any good numbers on meters, if your priest is getting 1000 hps on 10 man it might be a tad low but on 25 man I would just assume he is spending most of his time shielding.

As for the rotations, my job in our guild runs is basically the main support and I use PW:S at all times when I can and keep renews on the tanks and PoM and using penance when ppl drop suddenly in hp. So basically my job is to snipe sudden single target dmg with penance. In pugs I keep it on cd at all times tho

Tho we do have some encounters in 25 man where my sole duty is to shield ppl only to just make it easier for the others(Kologarn for example) I think around 95% of my cast spells in that encounter are shields only.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

Thanx for the info guys, your input has been hugely helpful

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat...077#healingout

There's a 25 man Yogg example...

That is (or should be) your average disc priest rotation for majority of fights.

Stick you disc priest on MT healing with a holy paladin, he should be sniping in shields, flashes, renews and penance around the raid as well when needed/possible.

EDIT:

Ow and as for HPS

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/3769586#healingout

EDIT 2:

As for people talking about GHeal... Waste of time for disc... Nothing more to add...

EDIT 3:

Recount does not show a disc priests potential what-so-ever.
    I am always buttom of the meter unless the pallys are slacking, wowmeteronline takes into account alot more of the spells abilities.

And furthermore, yes a disc priest is a good payoff compared to bigger heals. Not only will he help the tank getting 2 shotted in the same second but take into account the 3% raid dmg reduction if he is casting shield at least every 15 seconds which he should be.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

thanx tefty, thats a very very different break down to what our priest is currently doing in terms of spell % Spell priority/Rotation seems to be the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Tefty
    As for people talking about GHeal... Waste of time for disc... Nothing more to add...
    Usually that is true. However, if haste, Borrowed Time and Bloodlust take the casting time of flash to under the GCD, gheal can be used for higher hps.

As far as a "normal" rotation, I agree it's a waste, but situationaly it does have it's use

Usually that is true. However, if haste, Borrowed Time and Bloodlust take the casting time of flash to under the GCD, gheal can be used for higher hps.

As far as a "normal" rotation, I agree it's a waste, but situationaly it does have it's use
    Bloodlust is DPS time! pew pew smite...

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

i understand why disc priests would be so low on the meters and thats not a big an issue. The problem is our disc is low on the meters for the wrong reasons. i.e. wrong spells, rotation etc and our tank is dying because of this failure. As i said earlier when we have another Holy Pally in the raid instead of the Disc we have no problems at all and everything goes really smoothly. When have the disc tank healing we seem to really struggle to keep him up. From what everyone has said here is seems to definately be a skill/rotation issue. I will try get a WWS from our next raid so you can see what the break down is exactly.