Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Question about Ulduar build.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosshorn
    Granted, our first 2 Mimiron attempts we did tonight didn't get past P1, and we ran out of time and called the raid, but I don't think the AoE damage in P2 is DoT...
    Heat Wave is a direct damage spell that hits everyone (and causes pushback on intial hit) and then it leaves a dot that ticks for 10K (maybe a bit mroe) on everyone in the raid over 5 sec.
    details of abilities here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosshorn
    And I'm weird, I still leave 3 points in Divine Fury...
    Yes you are weird, these are 3 wasted points... you should never cast gheal ever and if you want to raid uld and clear content quickly you should be going with the best min/max spec there is. Put these 3 points into spell warding, its a decent investement to guard against the aoe damage in uld.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Yes you are weird, these are 3 wasted points... you should never cast gheal ever and if you want to raid uld and clear content quickly you should be going with the best min/max spec there is. Put these 3 points into spell warding, its a decent investement to guard against the aoe damage in uld.
    6% less spell damage clears bosses?

It does when it keeps you alive... 6% spell damage mitigation also saves healers mana pools... it also will potentialy save you if you bun something up and don't run out of fire when you should.

Put it this way... 6% spell damage mitigation is more likely to clear encounters than reducing Gheal, Smite & Holy Fire by 0.3 sec (something the disc priest will never cast). You might want to mount an argument that you could pick up Imp Renew but any self respecting Disc Priest won't cast that 99.9% of the time (they might if they are going into a stun, on the move, or preemptively casting to assist with known burst damage), it has some situational applications but those are few and far between and aren't worth 3 talent points.

What people fail to realise is that you will clear a lot more encounters if all 25 raid members are alive for the entire duration of the encounter. People seem to think it's ok to make risky decisions to cast that one last spell before moving, or use that slower more effecient HPM spell rather than the unrisky poor HPM spell and get someone killed.

15+ Year Old Account

If im dead, its usually because either the tanks dead, or its random targeted insta-gibs that 6% wouldnt save me from, so i'd rather be cheap and hold onto my respec money and cast faster pretty holy fires on giant evil lobster mobs.

Yeah you totally need to try it at least once to see how pretty it looks, supremus is the only one who it was bigger on!

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    If im dead, its usually because either the tanks dead, or its random targeted insta-gibs that 6% wouldnt save me from, so i'd rather be cheap and hold onto my respec money and cast faster pretty holy fires on giant evil lobster mobs.

Yeah you totally need to try it at least once to see how pretty it looks, supremus is the only one who it was bigger on!
    My point here is that you are not min/maxing and not doing everything in your power to help your respective raid. I bet if I raided with you I could point out plenty of death logs where 6% spell mitigation could very well have saved your life... However you're just going to argue that won't be the case so lets just agree to disagree.

In addition 6% spell mitigation equates to some % of less health to heal which equates to a % of extra mana. Even if the hit doesnt kill you it will require less mana to heal and thus it improves overall effeciency for the raid.

Instead you can't be stuffed paying 50g to respec... I can see why i'd want you in my raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    My point here is that you are not min/maxing and not doing everything in your power to help your respective raid. I bet if I raided with you I could point out plenty of death logs where 6% spell mitigation could very well have saved your life... However you're just going to argue that won't be the case so lets just agree to disagree.

In addition 6% spell mitigation equates to some % of less health to heal which equates to a % of extra mana. Even if the hit doesnt kill you it will require less mana to heal and thus it improves overall effeciency for the raid.

Instead you can't be stuffed paying 50g to respec... I can see why i'd want you in my raid.
    Yes, because that 6% spell mitigation will really help you on Yogg...oh wait nvm you're not there yet, my bad.

Yes, because that 6% spell mitigation will really help you on Yogg...oh wait nvm you're not there yet, my bad.
    Says a prick with comprehension issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Panasi
    Actually I saw Yogg for Uld10 in the first week of content... upto General for 25 after 2 weeks of content but our 25man raid is a lot more casual than most progressed guilds, ie. we raid twice maybe 3 times a week.

Feel free to check my achievements... perhaps something you should have thought of before trying to be pompus?

I could point out plenty of death logs where 6% spell mitigation could very well have saved your life
    Your mileage may vary depending on your raid setup.

"Mitigation" type talents will help in situations where "you're slowly dying" because it will help max out the reduction of damage on yourself so other healers can worry less about you over the course of a long fight. BUT if like my guild the only time we wipe is from 1-shot / insta-gib situations when someone screws up, "mitigation" talents are nothing more than filler to reach other talents.

(We've been clearing Ulduar 10 for over 3-4 weeks, up to General Vezax on 25 man).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Vexione
    Your mileage may vary depending on your raid setup.

"Mitigation" type talents will help in situations where "you're slowly dying" because it will help max out the reduction of damage on yourself so other healers can worry less about you over the course of a long fight. BUT if like my guild the only time we wipe is from 1-shot / insta-gib situations when someone screws up, "mitigation" talents are nothing more than filler to reach other talents.
    This is pretty much my point.
    Yes, 6% might be helpful for hodir, but for something like freya, with the random attacks from the storm lasher, a tidal surge not being interrupted combined with roots and sunbeam, or roots and green explosive bulbs will pretty much insta-gib you. Or even thorim, with sif up doing a direct frostbolt at you and taking a chain lightning at the same time, 6% less from each source wont be saving you.

Not to mention, i'm always the MT/OT healer, so if theres a case where im taking sustained damage that 6% would be useful in mitigating, i'll always have a PWS up on myself and my raid healers will know only to use mana on me when its essential and presuming the damage im receiving is actual of a decent proportion and bursting the shield, it wont be hurting my mana bar.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    This is pretty much my point.
    Yes, 6% might be helpful for hodir, but for something like freya, with the random attacks from the storm lasher, a tidal surge not being interrupted combined with roots and sunbeam, or roots and green explosive bulbs will pretty much insta-gib you. Or even thorim, with sif up doing a direct frostbolt at you and taking a chain lightning at the same time, 6% less from each source wont be saving you.

Not to mention, i'm always the MT/OT healer, so if theres a case where im taking sustained damage that 6% would be useful in mitigating, i'll always have a PWS up on myself and my raid healers will know only to use mana on me when its essential and presuming the damage im receiving is actual of a decent proportion and bursting the shield, it wont be hurting my mana bar.
    This point is getting off the orginal topic of the thread, which was considering the large amount of incidental spell damage been thrown around in Uld, spell warding looks like it will have it's uses. If you actually read my first reply I indicated that it would be useful for progression type raiding and less useful when the content is on farm.

I think we can all agree that we would spend the first 64 talent points like this, as you can see we need to spend 3 points in something within the first 2 tiers so we can access inspiration. The question what delivers the best return for those 3 talent points? You can pick up imp renew, spellwarding or 3/5 divine fury... there is no other alternative.

Imp renew may have it's applications but as I already outlined earlier in this post you barely cast it and I argue that for 3 points it's benefits are too small. If you want to mount a different argument then please provide some basis for that opinion rather than just saying imp renew > 3/5 spell warding.

Divine Fury gives nothing for PvE content... there is 0 need to dps and even if you did divine fury is hardly going to change anything in terms of raid dps. You shouldn't be casting gheal, if you are you should start changing the way you heal as disc. So it's a totally pointless talent.

That leaves spell warding... you argue that it does very little but have a look at the attacked WoL of our last 25m Mimiron kill (considering this has been refered to during this thread). Drill down of one of our holy priests.

As you can see she takes quite a lot of spell damage during the encounter and it's very spikey. If you click the damage by actor tab you will see she took nearly 300K spell damage from VX001, it's pretty significant considering a lot of that damage is non-resistable. 6% spell mitigation would have prevented 18K damage... doesnt sound like a lot but when you look at the graph that 18k is prevented in a very short time span. If you actually check out Mimiron's Abilities If you get double rapid bursted during a heat wave you can be taking upwards of 36k spell damage over 6 seconds... 6% mitigation would mean you take 2160 less damage, and considering you'll have about 22K health that 2K could keep you alive.

Also as you attempt hard mode encounters it will become more useful... Iron Council for example has Steelbreaker doing some nasty AoE damage to the entire raid that gets worse and worse as you kill the other council members.

I heard that faster GHeal/holy fire/smite are really useful as disc...

Oh wait, when do you cast GHeal? dumb people do.

Holy fire/smite is good on stuff on farm. not when you progress.

And Spell Warding is REALLY bad... huh?
    Since when taking 6% less damage on Hodir, FFB from Razorscale, etc?

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujith
    ? Healing focus doesnt prevent interupting. It reduces the knockback effect.
    So you wont have to run that far back.
    Think healing focus wasnt about interupting casting since 3.0.
    Made my day

Quote Originally Posted by Serengir
    Made my day
    : Bit old and i was already corrected ;D
    And i love the amount of ppl who read the OP :

Quote Originally Posted by Vexione
    Focused Will and Grace
    Is this a reference to that TV show?

Win.

15+ Year Old Account

Since we were lacking a healer yesterday I tried this holy build to substitute for one. And it was AWESOME. We had our first Mimiron kill and after a few tries we also killed General Vezax (really awesome fight blizzard!).

Body & Soul is awesome for both those bosses and probably for the easier ones too (and Yogg?). Whenever Vezax did his shadow thingy where he does 100% more damage I would shield the tank and he would kite him around. But the best thing was the glyph of guardian spirit. I now cannot fathom how our holy priests can play without it. 1 min cd is sooo imba. I used it every minute on mimiron and vezax. Never had to sacrifice itself. Always was worth it with the 40% healing being akin to a shieldwall for the tank basically.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!